The Black Forge

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dggrj
Malekith's Personal Guard

The Black Forge

Post by Dggrj »

I'm interested in rekindling the fires beneath the forge, and bringing hammer upon anvil to craft ... something. Really anything useful, or maybe just organizing or helping other people who have done things and either forgotten them or want to enhance them.

At the start of the summer (winter for our southward friends) Daeron wrote this thread after he put together a pretty nice combat calculator. I'd like to see one change to this Daeron, if you're still around, and that's that it will calculate attacks back and resulting wounds, as well, and have a button to switch the order. I think what you've got is great and mostly solves the intent of one of the dropped Black Forge projects.

There was also this thread commenting on our alleged decline/decay. Well, while I probably should be doing other things, I think it's obvious that I've been spending a lot of time on this site lately. Hopefully my rules answers make up for my rants, but all in all I feel like I could spend my time more effectively contributing to the site.

What I'm looking for is old TBF members & leaders to let me know what's what, the webmasters to let me know if this is feasible, and prospective members/contributors who would like to assist in this, should it be approved. Also, everyone else's comments on what they'd like to see, should it happen, are welcomed and appreciated.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more.
Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:dggrj is correct
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Re: The Black Forge

Post by Rork »

dggrj wrote:What I'm looking for is old TBF members & leaders to let me know what's what, the webmasters to let me know if this is feasible, and prospective members/contributors who would like to assist in this, should it be approved. Also, everyone else's comments on what they'd like to see, should it happen, are welcomed and appreciated.

Many of the members of that group are inactive, or post only rarely. MDK is still around, and is a member of the usergroup. Since the things you're suggesting are different to what the BF were working on, you'd be starting from scratch (which wouldn't be a problem).

We don't want to pass up the opportunity of members taking part, so no doubt we'll be able to work something out :).

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Not necessarily from scratch; I have an 'old' combat simulator lying around from Asur.org.uk's Hour of the Wolf campaign—it was part of an army composer package, Athena. What it did was calculate probability distributions on your chances to hit, wound, kill, and (primitively) break your enemies in combat, and then the same for their return blow. It's not complete as the campaign was not an accurate representation of WHFB's combat model.

The module is 100% Java, but it should be straightforward to flip to another language, and I believe I can pack it as an independent library rather than an Athena add-on. If that would be any help, that is.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Tarbo wrote:Not necessarily from scratch; I have an 'old' combat simulator lying around from Asur.org.uk's Hour of the Wolf campaign—it was part of an army composer package, Athena.

As in the initiative would have to start from scratch, more than anything else.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Mdk
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mdk »

Hello dggrj, Tarbo and Rork. I got an PM from Rork and he asked me to take a look at this topic. So I did :D. I am willing to participate in TBF projects as long as it concerns graphics desing, illustratios and, since recently, 3D Maya projecs aswell. I however have never erally done anything constructive for TBF but it is an good idea to resurect it back from the dead. And ofcourse I am willing to lend some advice if you need it.

It is a good to see some people are still active and start new initiatives. Go for it, you have my support.

Gr. MDK
You’re a wreck, an accident.
Forget the freak, your just nature.
Keep the gun oiled, and the temple cleaned shiz
snort, and blaspheme, let the heads cool, and the
engine run. Because in the end, everything we do,
is just everything we’ve done.
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

MDK wrote:It is a good to see some people are still active and start new initiatives. Go for it, you have my support.
But I never volunteered to join the initiative...

Just like the GIs, eh? ;)

On a more serious note, I'd be happy to help out on a few bits, but I'm not sure I can be consistently productive, or not enough to be an official member. I'll happily work behind the scenes, though.
Dggrj
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Dggrj »

That's all that's needed. I'd like to organize everyone who feels that way (slightly hesitant) and see what their interests are and basically have a list so that we can say "Oh, hey, we need X, and BOB really likes X, maybe he'll help out on this, maybe he can't." And then give credit to everyone who helps, without attaching permanent strings to them expecting more later.
Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:dggrj is correct
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: The Black Forge

Post by Daeron »

dggrj wrote: I'd like to see one change to this Daeron, if you're still around, and that's that it will calculate attacks back and resulting wounds, as well, and have a button to switch the order.

To avoid a thread-hijack, I'll discuss your suggestions in the specified thread:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=49748

Web development & programming tools for Warhammer is still a hobby of mine. I'm all ears for initiatives.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze