Druchii.net painting contest?

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

How often should we have one?

Total votes: 0

Crazyhorse
Highborn

Druchii.net painting contest?

Post by Crazyhorse »

I appologize if this is stated somewhere else as I only did a quick search for a similar topic. However it seems that many other forums have a painting contest. There would have to be aroun three contests begginer, intermediate and expert. Maybe have several awards best paint job, most original ect. The award would most likly be bragging rights, maybe a picture you can put in your sig with the date you won it? How often should this occur, well that will be up to you.

So would this be possible and if so are you in?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

i like the idea if it doesn´t cause too much trouble for the webmasters and mods.
i voted for every three months (i´d say only once or twice a year if it was included in the votes) because you need time to prepare an event like that and i would like some time to actually paint the minis.

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

Oops, I though about twice a year but it seems I did not post it :oops: . However I voted for every 3 (or so) months as it is a good amount of time and if you are not ready at the starting date you don't have to wait as long for the next one.
Again I am sorry I forgot that one, I am looking forward to the mods opions on if this could happen.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.
Dggrj
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Dggrj »

And the winner is: GeOrc!

It would be fun, but as you say there'd need to be categories, but then how do we group people? Self-identify and be nice and honest? Might work. For instance, though, as I paint very rarely and slowly, but sometimes pretty well, have a hard time deciding what to call myself.

Now, along the running it side of things, I've already thrown my hat into the ring to assist with webpage things, and this would be yet another something I'd be willing to help on.
Linda Lobsta Defenda wrote:dggrj is correct
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Mnesthius
Beastmaster

Post by Mnesthius »

i agree with Mr Anderson, once a year would make it special!

...and because as well as maintence times etc it would probably also eat up alot of bandwidth, which, i think D.net is not very... well, i recall something about the site being slow due to such a huge number of people... it would get pretty interesting if they all posted high qual pics and viewed them too

anyway, i voted 3 months, but my opinion has been voiced, thanks!
Bauglir
Beastmaster

Post by Bauglir »

you shouldn't have contests like that too often, once or twice a year i guess would be okay. you could feature some of the winners in the herald zine, just like the GD winners are featured in the WD.
the number of categories is something to be debated, as is the categorisation of painters. i have been playing with and painting warhammer minis for ten years now, but i only have what would be called a decent table top standard, so that doesn't really make me an expert despite the long time i have been doing it. and who is to say who is in what group? someone coming last in expert might well have won the intermediate group, so how do you judge borderline cases.
Malekith and Morathi meet Jerry Springer: read the complete saga here
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=37639

My Gallery: http://photobucket.com/albums/a18/senna ... warhammer/
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Haven't we had one already? Or was it about writing stories? Can't remember it ATM, but there WAS a contest, where you could win Warhammer prizes.
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

I wouldn't have a problem with how often it happened just that it did.

@ dggrj that would be the hard part perhaps you would have to submit a request to be in a group with a picture and the judges agree with you or move you some where.

@ bauglir the lines could be fuzzy however I think the only way to place people it to actually have one and then, "say you are good but I am not sure you are expert staus just yet would you like to move to intermediate where you would have a closer compition and a better chance of winning?"

Now onto the question about the flood of pictures, it could be a flood of links to pictures. I don't want to kill the site I want to add a holiday, so we should hold this contest on the night of blood ;) .

@ Belial I am talking about a contest that happens every increment of time we agree on, so if there were to be prizes people would have to pay to play, and I think it may be easier just to give out awards to put in your sig like some sort of picture (I say easier because I don't know how hard that would be). I am thinking about the hour of the wolf and how some people still have that in their sig.

PS I think it was stories but I am not sure ;) .
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Bauglir makes some really good points and asks some good questions . . .

bauglir wrote:you shouldn't have contests like that too often, once or twice a year i guess would be okay. you could feature some of the winners in the herald zine, just like the GD winners are featured in the WD.

I agree completely. Anything more often than once every 6 months (a) would be hard to administer and (b) cause participants to be less excited and since the event isn't "special" and participation would quickly drop. Since the Herald is published twice yearly now, a once or twice yearly event would seem to make sense.

bauglir wrote:the number of categories is something to be debated, as is the categorisation of painters. i have been playing with and painting warhammer minis for ten years now, but i only have what would be called a decent table top standard, so that doesn't really make me an expert despite the long time i have been doing it. and who is to say who is in what group? someone coming last in expert might well have won the intermediate group, so how do you judge borderline cases.

I would keep the number of categories low. In fact, I would have a theme each time to keep the competition more focused. For example, Druchii monsters one time around, elite infantry another, etc. Too many categories waters down the level of competition, and having a specific theme each time would build anticipation for the next go-round.

I would have 3 divisions -- novice, intermediate, and expert -- and allow people to self-identify and enter whatever division they wish, but only the first time around. If someone wins the novice division, they have to move up to the next level for future competitions. Likewise, if someone wins the intermediate division, they have to mov eup to expert for the next time.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Dggrj

Post by Dggrj »

...allow people to self-identify and enter whatever division they wish, but only the first time around. If someone wins the novice division, they have to move up to the next level for future competitions. Likewise, if someone wins the intermediate division, they have to mov eup to expert for the next time.
Assuming we had decent competition in the divisions, and that their entry would have had a shot in the higher division, I agree Dyvim. Now if the winner of the novice category is still a big step down from most entries in intermediate, maybe not so much.
On thinking about it, 6 months would be good.
Woot! If it's only ever said once, I couldn't ask for a better person to say it.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I say that if you win, you get kicked up a division regardless. It would be an incentive to step up your game instead of resting on your laurels.
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

Well Dyvim that is an interesting idea, however dggrj also makes a good point. It will be hard to make one rule and just stick with it as we will have to make exceptions for those rare cases, but in most cases if you win you should go up a level. I think I am aiming for about every 6 months.
Katash
Executioner
Location: On a ship in a little glass bottle trying to figure out how I got here

Post by Katash »

Mabe if you win you get a custom division
Thus will it come to pass.
The dying leader will know
the truth of the opera house.
The missing three will give you the five
who have come from the home of the 13th.
You are the harbinger of death, kara thrace.
You will lead them all to their end.
Madlarks
Executioner

Post by Madlarks »

I certainly agree that we need a theme for each event. Raiding party, Warriors of Khaine etc etc. Dyvim does have a point about making people improve and also it gives other people a chance to compete if the winners of the previous are bumped up a category other wise the GeOrc's in every group would always win. Every six months doesn't sound too bad and one thing to keep in mind, the real goals are to give us incentive to improve our painting skills and help bring the community together (hopefully without crashing the servers)
Venkh wrote:Overall, DE are a kind of swiss army knife of an army. We can do everything, just not quite as well as a dedicated tool.

Skaven 5-1-3
WE 2-0
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

having a painting competition in some form gets my approval for sure :)
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

Well we seem to have ruled once or twice a year.

If you win it should be heavily considered to move you up a rank if you win twice in the same rank then you should be moved up for sure.

What you win still seems ify, I still vote for somthing to put in your sig with the division, date and rank you won in.

Now to the hard part divsions:
There should be basic ones such as single model, unit and a maybe a themed one as madlarks gave some examples for?

Same or simmilar way of judging as the golden deamon unless a store near you has a differnt way of doing it.

Ranks so far in my mind are Begginer,Intermidiate and Expert.

Well this is just a brief overview, and I could use any and all opions on this so please respond with your thoughts so we can iron out all the details.

-crazyhorse
Dggrj

Post by Dggrj »

I kind of like the idea of having specific guidelines of what to paint, rather than a ton of categories making each one have low entry number - maybe even very specific?
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

So do you agree with the three proposed or would you rather see different,more, less? I am hoping for specifics as to make the job easier. I am thinking this would be mostly if not all fantasy/dark elf as it is a dark elf web site and there are other sites for those. But that is another question, is there a 40k/other division?
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

No there shouldn't be a 40K/other division.

In fact, it should be fairly restrictive each go-round. For example, the first contest could be "Dark Elf Cavalry Characters." Only single character models on mounts with 25x50 would be entered. Or "Dark Elf Infantry" could be the theme -- units of 10 or more models only.

That way people know what to paint but still have some choice. If you have a whole bunch of different categories, you'll only get a very few entries in each and won't have a meaningful competition. This site is not Gamesday -- we can't have a dozen or more categories and expect to get good entries in all of them.
Last edited by Dyvim tvar on Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harabec

Post by Harabec »

JUst a Dyvim said, if you hope for a good balance of entries then limit it so that each round has a single specific unit or character type. This will provide more competition in each skill level and will allow judging to be more comparitive as entries will be similar.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

A complaint I've long had about the GD is that the same names crop up again and again, sometimes in multiple compititions in different countries. I think that, at the very least, winning a lower catagory bumps you up a rank and winning the "Expert" catagory prevents you from competing again. People will moan and whine about it not being fair but it's the only way to prevent the same names appearing again and again.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

So should winning in expert could make you a judge for next contest therefore keeping you from competing but not out of it completly out of the contest?

I also do like Dyvim Tvar's idea of generic catagories that while they give you some choice they keep you in a certin area. Characters on monsterous mounts would be fun.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

There is always the option of an exponentially-expanding panel of judges who have won the competition previously but that could get hard to manage.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

Who would decide the initial expertise level of any entry ? I think it's fairly obvious that if someone such as Georc were to enter he should at the very least be entered into the expert category, but what about someone else ?Does the more inexperienced painter who is enamored of his own work, but really doesn't compare to the intermediate class enter into the intermediate class and get hammered and not allowed back to the beginner level ? Do experienced painters who don't necesarily think their work compares to someone such as Georc enter the intermediate level and hammer those who are just trying to break into that level ? I think it's a great idea, but I'm not sure how it's going to play out, I think it might take a while for things to shake out. Not to mention the fact that a person's mini will be perceived based also on their photographic skills as much as by their painting/converting skills.
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Lazarus -- as long as someone doesn't win a category (forcing them into a higher category for future events) they could self-identify every time around. If they get hammered in intermediate, they can move down to beginner the next time around.

The issue of photography skill is unavoidable in any internet-based painting competition. It's just something we would have to live with.