Army lists searchable on points, rules, edition

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Army lists searchable on points, rules, edition

Post by Daeron »

Greetings,

As I was looking over the army list section, I couldn't help feeling it lacked some effectiveness as I could filter threads on the army size and rule packs...and army, if we wish.
I believe adding a filter on these three attributes would permit people to use that section of the forum as a repository and source of inspiration. With army lists becoming easier to search, I believe users would be more tempted to have a look at eachother's lists as well, increasing the response and interaction in that section.

I'm well aware this isn't achieved with the flick of a hand but I think it's worth checking out the flexibility of the phpBB system which this forum is based on.

I took the liberty of working out a few TO-BE screens that may help clarify what the result could be.

The topic form in that forum would then include the following fields:

Army
Selectable list (multiple options allowed for people making hybrids) with Dark Elves as default:
- Dark Elves
- Empire
- Unspecified

Size
- A text input field for the size
- A button "add" for people who want to add a second, third, .. size to the list for expanding army lists
- A checkbox "unspecified" for unspecified army sizes

Composition
A list with multiple selections possible:
- No comp 8th ed
(- No comp 9th ed)
- ETC 2012
- ETC 2013
- Local rules

One could search the army lists with a form offering these same fields.

Sincerely,
Daeron
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

I like that a lot actually. I know that eventually I'll end up with an Exec horde, so being able to search & ask for specifics such as: How well the past list worked, what changes they would make ect, would make life easier in that regard.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

This could be done with an equivalent of the D.R.A.I.C.H. specialized on the army lists.
It just requires someone very dedicated.
Any volunteer? :D
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Nice idea. Might be more work for the site admins though.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Making a DRAICH topic could work, I suppose, but it might be heavy on maintenance. The idea of placing these options in the "new topic" form for the army list forum means that everyone is contributing their little step stone to a better whole.

I did make a brief scan of some of the phpBB modules available on the web, and there are some that offer a good start but I doubt we can evade the necessity for coding entirely.

I do have an degree in software engineering and experience with phpBB forums (as well as programming on them) so I don't want to "just drop this on the admin shoulders" and expect them to wave a magic wand (I know the work this will cost). I'll put my own shoulders under it, if the community welcomes this feature and the admins support the idea.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze