Subscribe to new topics, but not new replies?

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Subscribe to new topics, but not new replies?

Post by Tarbo »

In going through the subscription options in the user preferences, I noticed that there are two available subscription types: on forums and on topics. Subscribing to a topic alerts you to new posts in that topic. Subscribing to a forum alerts you to new posts in that forum, which means both new and existing topics (very useful for otherwise low-traffic forums).

Is there a way for a user to indicate that they're interested in new topics, but not in new replies to existing topics? Or to selectively unsubscribe from topics in a subscribed forum?

Take our Quick RPG/SAU forum as example: if one were interested in getting an alert when a new topic (game) is started, but not to be alerted each time a post within an ongoing topic (game) was made, how would one do that?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Subscribe to new topics, but not new replies?

Post by Daeron »

This is not natively supported by the forum. But maybe there is a mod around that could offer this.

I'll check it out. How urgent is this request?
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Re: Subscribe to new topics, but not new replies?

Post by Tarbo »

Daeron wrote:How urgent is this request?

Oh, not at all urgent.

We're currently looking into changing/simplifying a few things about how the RPG works, so I'm checking the options and tools we have available. The subscriptions came up during my private brainstorming, as an easy way to let interested people know a new game is open. I don't consider it pressing since there are workarounds available:

• Subscribe to a (dedicated) forum anyway. I don't expect long/deep threads, so the extra alerts on replies will probably not be a hassle.
  • Use an announcement that people can subscribe to, where links to new games are posted.

I was just thinking I was missing something in the settings. :P