Lizardmen: Who's your general?

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Columind
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Portugal - the country everybody thinks belongs to Spain...arg

Lizardmen: Who's your general?

Post by Columind »

2 things about this...

1) Can a scar-veteran (hero choise) be general in a lizardmen army that also has a oldblood (lord choise)?
They both have Ld 8, so Army Builder allows it (highest Ld is almost always required to be general) but I don't know if it is REALLY possible.

2) Who do you think is best in terms of cost/effectiveness? Do you think a scar-vet is already good enough for it's points and an oldblood is just a small upgrade with the ability to take 100 pts that aren't that helpful or do you think the difference is big and it's worth it? (considering no mounts)
Zentaricai
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zentaricai »

Scar Vet is the best deal in town, use your points somewhere else...

as fa as the General is concerned I think the Lord choice trumps the hero choice if both LD are the same..
DON'T MONKEY WITH MY BUSINESS
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

as fa as the General is concerned I think the Lord choice trumps the hero choice if both LD are the same..

Unless specifically mentioned, I'd say it doesn't matter. I've not yet found proof where Lord choices rule over hero choices.
Malius
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Malius »

Quote:

Unless specifically mentioned, I'd say it doesn't matter. I've not yet found proof where Lord choices rule over hero choices.

yup, all the rule book says is that if there is tied Ld, you can choose who the general is.
Archdukechocula wrote:In fact I think the problem is that there should be a better term for jerky WAAC people, such as Win Avoiding Normal Kindness, Especially Respect (A " WANKER " if you will).

now thats funny :P
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

Unless you plan on using 55 points or more of magic items, I'd take just scar-vets. The oldblood's stats are just a small boost and not even in the leadership department. As it is, I always take nobles or commanders over highborns and princes, despite the extra leadership. If the oldblood doesn't even have that, don't bother (unless you want that carni for another monster army :D).
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

«The wonder has a name: pmpn8ez.»
Columind
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Portugal - the country everybody thinks belongs to Spain...arg

Post by Columind »

Hehe, I'm not that advanced in the Lizardmen department...I'm still building them up.
I like monsters in the DE case because I think, while playing infantry can be funny, they may just be our biggest advantage against other races.
The Lizardmen are ...almost all...monster like.
Skaly skin, High TO, etc...:P
But let's see what happens...
Hali
Grand Executioner

Post by Hali »

Yeah it's only highest LD that determines General, so i think you get your option of general as what has been mentioned above.
I think the only reason people would take a Old Blood over a scar vet is if you're putting him on the carnasour, but they'll still hammer nay oppenent they get close to on foot, but their effectivness without the carnasaur isn't too significant over the scar vets.
Mr.moth
Cold One Knight

Post by Mr.moth »

Oldblood is a better choice for the role of an Air Nike Jaguar Saurus of Doom. Such a character will certainly at one point be on his own, and he needs all the help he can get in order to survive. And an Oldblood is not that more expensive than a Scar Vet, and for those extra points he gets a most important +1T and +1 AT, and not to be frowned upon, WS6 (for an army of mostly WS3, it can help a great deal if you can hit that elf elite on 3+ if you are a lone model charging a small unit!)

So, Saurus characters are there for fighting, and the Oldblood is without a doubt the better fighter. Also, his option to take an additional Sacred Spawning is a key advantage - he can be Immune to Psych, have a great AS, and have an additional attack on a charge. My girfriend sometimes goes for an even more expensive option, the mark of the Old Ones (making this an almost 300 pts char- but just look at chaos lords, Slann or Elven lords on dragons) which, saves his butt almost regularly.

So, Scar vet is great, but I say, if you go for a killing machine, go heavy and take the oldblood. It's not that much of a difference, 50-150 pts more, and those are points well spent. makeing your character perform with less uncertainty the stuff you are including him for.

Of course, this rant is mostly relevant to those Air Nike JSoD saurus chars.
Children do not converse. They say things.
Dalakh deathblow
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Dalakh deathblow »

Zentaricai wrote:as fa as the General is concerned I think the Lord choice trumps the hero choice if both LD are the same..

nope there's no rules regarding this.. i believe many of us here voted their nobles for general over High Sorceress in a 2000pts game..

about scar-veteran vs oldblood, i'd say go for the oldblood if you have the points (and want an oldblood for your lord choice) i have to agree with mr. moth on this one..
Innocence proves nothing.
Elros
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Elros »

Mr Moth summed it up. If the character is going to be on it's own, the OldBlood is a better option. But if you are having him stay in a unit, the ScarVetis a much better deal.
I've never gone up against an OldBlood with a carnosaur, but they sound like they could do a lot of damage, especially against other monster-heavy armies (due to the ultimate predator rule).
Silverlight
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Silverlight »

you can have both of them as your general, it just depends on which role they have...
I like a moderate oldblood with a lot (about 6-7) attacks on str5 and, with his extra toughness and ws, hes te one to get movement 9. which means as already said above hes better on his own.
and yes Elros, oldbloods on carnosaur are great against other monster armies, even without any monsters your enemy needs to be afraid of its damage capacities, for with the right equipment he and the oldblood on it would have around 12-15 attacks(str 5 mostly) on the charge, which is not to be underestimated.

But a scar is better for less points if used inside units.
-DULCE BELLUM INEXPERTIS-
Watch out, I've got a fish and I know how to use it!
-The dark elves will come and steal all your coockies