2000 Points of Asur for 2000 Posts of Druchii

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dragon_prince
Executioner

Post by Dragon_prince »

That was just about the equivalent of "the Sundering" on your already waning credibility. Thanks, but no thanks.

Don't be such a lame whiner, come one, what wrong, I just say what I think, do I need to say why, I just say facts... Here's a fact, be thankfull, that I take the time looking at your list then say what I think 'bout the list, and would comment if you would make the changes to the list I said ....
The stength goes through your skills, not your weapon.
Drakken
Manipulator of the Masses

Post by Drakken »

Your Welcome.

Anyway..my thoughts? Blade of Leaping Gold I just don't like a S4, thats my biggest issue with it. I'd suggest the Sword O Might as my primary Magic blade, and I have a use for these points. 2nd, if your not planning your Reaver for combat, why not exchange Spears for Bows, rather than both? This saves 10 pts, which add up with the 20 saved on the Sword, and 2 pts from downgrading Dragon Armor to Heavy...to add 3 Spearman. You can then move the Commander there, run the SMs 5*3, and several average to slightly above combat units. Just a thought....
We stand now on the precipice of something monumental and perhaps even capable of boggling the mind in its myriad potentials and possibilities. Try not to drool too much…
Lord anathir
Warrior

Post by Lord anathir »

I created an account on this site just to comment on this list. So listen up.
And, as all the true High Elf players stated (Dragon_Prince, Lother), this list has ALOT of flaws.

I dont know alot about you, but I think from what i see in this list, I am guessing you are a natural Dark Elf player. Here is why:

1) Archers are NOT Crossbowmen, and they should not be used under any circumstance. LMAO, they purely suck. Drop both units.(-240pts)
2) Reavers are NOT Dark Riders. Fast cav are good, but the Bows wont do anything. Drop the bows. (-30 pts)
3) Your cavalry is in units of 8!!!! Never do this!!!!! (Twang - ARGH, Where's my rank bonus) You want heavy cav in support units of 5 or 6, or a hammer unit of 10. Reduce to 5 (- 46pts)
4) Your infantry is too small!!!! Unit of 19 min! add 3 more spears (+33)
5) Swordmasters are not executioners, they are not meant to be a main base unit, drop to 12, remove the command, except champ. (-57)
6) Dragon Armour aint a sea dragon cloak, just keep it normal heavy armour, (-6 pts)

Other changes:
6) Drop one unit of shadow warrios, one unit is enough, especiall y with eagles + reavers. (-75)
7) I dont know whether you want defensive magic or offensive. I usually go defensive, so this is what i suggest: Drop the mage and the rings. Get a Prince, steed, barding, shield, heavy armour, loremaster, scroll, scroll, enchanted shiled, lance (+51)
8) Get another unit of 19 Spearelves w SB ( drop the musicien and champ on the other unit too!) (+203 pts)
9) Get 2 chariots (+170 pts)
10)get 5 more Silverhelms wC (+129 pts) put mounted commander with them.
11) Drop the second foot commander (-80 pts)
12) Drop the first foot commander too (lol) (-116)
13) Change blade of darting steel to blade of sea gold.

total: 18 points to spare.

There you go
Lord anathir
Warrior

Post by Lord anathir »

OMG, im sorry at what i did to your list. As the other high elf players said, although rather bluntly, is that you do need to scrap this list completely, except for the rare choices, and start from scratch.

Here are a few pointers to help you when you make the transition from dark elves to high elves.

1) Bows are useless,
2) archers, pheonix gaurd, sea guard are over priced and shouldnt be ever taken.
3) spearmen should be your only MBU infantry, anywhere between 19-24 w/ full command. Other supporting infantry should be from 10-12 w/ a chamption. Usually 1 unit for every 1000 points in mixed lists.
4) about magic, its either all or nothing
5) Only one rank for cavalry, buying a second rank is a waste of points.

Have another go writing a list and keep those things in mind.!!!! Good luck!
Mirz do ordas
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mirz do ordas »

OMG,

as pmn8ez (get a real name, will ye?) allready said, this army worked for him, please stop trying to get him to ditch the whole list and make it another all Cav HE list, or a pincussion/ frying list.

I see a lot of merit in this (original) list, I guess some tweaking in chars is possible, but all in all, it is a nice, MSU based list.

(i would just go for 2 lvl 2 mages with seer, 2 unseen lurkers are fun).
When my opponent agrees on a rule, I must have been wrong
Dragon_prince
Executioner

Post by Dragon_prince »

Mirz Do Ordas wrote:OMG,

as pmn8ez (get a real name, will ye?) allready said, this army worked for him, please stop trying to get him to ditch the whole list and make it another all Cav HE list, or a pincussion/ frying list.

I see a lot of merit in this (original) list, I guess some tweaking in chars is possible, but all in all, it is a nice, MSU based list.

(i would just go for 2 lvl 2 mages with seer, 2 unseen lurkers are fun).

all cav, pincussion/frying and all amgic HE suck ;) In case you din't know, it needs to be all around, but archers aren't good :S
Drakken

Post by Drakken »

So Dragon-Prince...we should all feel thankful you take precious time out of your day to come here and declare that we know nothing and should all play exactly like you? That's basically what your saying right?

Lord A..Welcome aboard, nice of you to stop in...but I disagree completely with you. I'll even take it 1 at a time..
1. Far from it. Bows on Elves can actually hit things without needing 25 Shots, and thus serve the same role. The clear out flank units. 1 Unit is almost always worth the effort (though I do agree at there cost, 2 is worthless).
2. PG I'll agree aren't worthwhile, but LSG work in defensive forces and Archers we just discussed.
3. Why? Why shouldn't the troop best in long fights be designed for long fights? Why should fragile and expensive troops be designed for those instead? Spearman at 12 Stong can work fine..especially if those other elites are busy. CR wins fights, not casulties...and there are more than 1 way to earn CR.
4. Moderate magic works fine...just enough to get by.
5. Depends on the role of the unit. If you want to build a uber-hitty Cav (not worth it in my opinion, but it can be done), you really need that rank.

Overall? I think you need to read that 1st post again...this was not a design me a list thread...its a state your opinions to attempt to improve this list, and back them up with reasons.
We stand now on the precipice of something monumental and perhaps even capable of boggling the mind in its myriad potentials and possibilities. Try not to drool too much…
Malius
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Malius »

entering this discusion a bit late but hey ill still give my opinions :D

first, i like the list because its nice to see one which is what i invisage high elf lists to look like. one thing i might say is make the spearmen and swordmaster units slightly bigger, even just to 18, as charging a six wide frontage on just HE speaman can be quite scary for an opponent when you throw out 18 dice to attack with. but this is just me, i have a thing for big units, and seeing as you would have to drop something to do so, i wouldnt bother.

and secondly, dont doubt the power of HE archers. most opponents under estimate them and they have a nice range and can soften units up nicely.

I might also be inclined to say two tironoc chariots because they hit alsmost as hard as druchii chariots, but without the stupidity and 4" more charge range. very useful IMO. however this itself poses probles as you would have to drop a special choice or two, so again, i dont want you to change the list radically just to fit suggestions i and others have put forward as i like it as it is.

so as i said at the start of this post, a nice list :D
Archdukechocula wrote:In fact I think the problem is that there should be a better term for jerky WAAC people, such as Win Avoiding Normal Kindness, Especially Respect (A " WANKER " if you will).

now thats funny :P
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

:shock: :shock: :shock: Wow. I just checked in to see if I got any replies since last night and it looks like over a half dozen more... I'll definetely take the time to read everything and speak to each person individually in terms of their comments, just as soon as I have about 45 mins or so of free time to do it. :D As always, great to see that you replied Drakken (and everyone else, of course... even you, DP).
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

«The wonder has a name: pmpn8ez.»
Lord anathir
Warrior

Post by Lord anathir »

Sorry Drakken, but maybe I was tight on time and i had to right a quick reply, and i accidently forgot to explain myself thorougly.

1. Elvish Archers are great. They can actually hit things (as you said, you're 100% right). But unfortunately, they are not worth the 12 points, with 0 armour. Im not sure about dark elf XBowmen, but i think they cost 9 points w/ light armour. Point said, my opinion is that 240 points could be used much more effectively. Alot of tasty things you can get at 240 points.
2. Archers ive talked about. PG everyone agrees on. But Lothern Seaguard are another matter all together. They would be great if they were either cheaper, had a free reform on a charge, had longbows rather than bows, OR could shoot in an additional rank. I could write a book about Lothern Seaguard, and I wish they could be more effective, they are very fluffy, beautiful metal models (5th edition). Ive tried deploying them on a hill, tried deploying them on a flank. as a screen, as a unit of 12, as a unit of 20, it simply doesnt work.
They get one round of shooting (when enemy is 16-24 inch away), than they have to reform (when enemy marches, so 8-16 inches), than they get charged, they become normal spearmen, but when they are broken and overrun they yield an extra 75+ victory points. Go to asur.org for stronger opinion but i gaurentee you that you will not find many high elf players (experienced, that is) that agree with taking the LSG.
3. What kind of CR can you get with 12 spears? (132-150pts) You can get 2 for ranks (if you dont loose a single T3 AS 5+ model), maybe a wound, a Standard. That is not much. Anything stronger than a light breeze with kill your 132 point unit + a possible 50 pts for a standard. Ehhhh....You could use 12 spears, but idunno what for. You cant except a charge withem, you cant flank, cuz they cant do anydamage, and......uh.....are there any other uses for infantry.
4. Again. Magic is like shooting. It might be enough to get you by, but id rather get a scroll caddie/ scroll prince than get two lvl twos for 360pts (that might not get any spells off and might be EVEN WORSE than that cheaper scroll caddie).
5. If you do need that rank, yes, but the unit becomes a) a magic/shooting missile, b) two units of 5 w/ champ are more mobile than 10 WFC, = more tactical options = less eggs in one basket = better choice.
Drakken

Post by Drakken »

Okay, rebuttal round 2! (This is sad this is the most entertainment I've had on this site for a while....).

1. So we are in agreement. Also, its 11 pts for those RBX Warriors w/ Light Armor....
2. Usually 2 Rounds of shooting with proper March-blocking. Thus why I said, in a defensive army where those extra 8-16 shots will help a bit.
3. 2 Ranks, Flank...vs Standard and Numbers? At that point its quanity and quasi-quality. This could be debated for a long time back and forth....
4. Whee do you play? This sort of answers this one somewhat, as playing styles vary incredible. I've found ~360 pts for Magic has been solid and cost effective for a loooong time now, but if I were to say...take it to a UK Event, it'd be a waste.
5. My point...not necessarily worthless, but not always a good idea.
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

Ok, gonna try and get everyone here, so bear with me. :roll: Before I begin, though, I'd just like to point out to the "real" Asur players here a quote which seemed to explain my thoughts better than I could think them:
Mirz Do Ordas wrote:as pmn8ez (get a real name, will ye?) allready said, this army worked for him, please stop trying to get him to ditch the whole list and make it another all Cav HE list, or a pincussion/ frying list.

Now, going chronologically with each post (so you lucky ones may be mentioned more than once!) starting with my and your favorite, DP.

@DP: If I am supposed to be thankful for you taking time out of your day to insult, not criticize me (easily going beyond the list here), then I'd rather you not post at all. The only comments I've gotten from you is that the list sucks; no intelligible reasoning or explanation behind it, nor any real suggestions. As that contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation at hand or to the list itself, then I don't need the extra commentary; there's plenty to work from here as it is from Asur and Druchii players alike.

@Drakken: About Reavers, this does indeed make a lot of sense. I'll have to really think about how I want to use these guys now, since the option to switch out may easily be worth taking if I decide that they shouldn't be in combat. I guess I may be asking too much from one unit, but while I do want them assisting the SHs, I'd also like to see them acting in much the same vein as I use DRs on occasion (though in this case, more so because I have so many other WM hunters), hunting enemy fast cav and getting the upper hand with their bows before a combat. About raising unit size, keep in mind that I don't want a complete departure from MSU. 18-20 makes me a bit nervous (especially with 11 or 15 point models, but if you think it is tactically sound then I may well do so.

@Lord Anathir:
I created an account on this site just to comment on this list. So listen up.
I'm honored... :roll: On a less sarcastic note, glad you decided to join into the conversation (and post a decent amount as well, I might add. I think Drakken did a pretty good job of describing a couple of my thoughts and potential counterpoints to your 'analysis', but I'd like to add a few more things. 120 points is quite a lot for a unit that shoots S3 arrows, but looking at it differently, they guard flanks from enemy fast cav and skirmishers, etc. This means that for 120 points, I am potentially avoiding a flank charge from fast cav that would tear apart my 225 point swordmaster unit, plus banner and the accompanying character. 120 points for some insurance on ~450 is pretty much worth it in my book. I also don't intend for them to kill oodles. They can easily destroy any small disruption units, many of which will easily be worth 75% of the cost I paid for the archers. They can also shave off a rank here or there and discourage any mages from wandering too far from units. 2 units isn't a huge investment and allows me to cover both sides of the board. Archers don't suck; you're just thinking of them in a role that I am not, one which probably performs much worse than I am trying to. Now, a DE rxb elf costs 11 points, has 6" shorter range, and -1BS when firing his multishot and his save is only 6+. I think that balances out pretty well in the end. I'll skip the PG/ LSG/ Archer thing because we can all agree for the most part on the same few principles there. With spearmen and swordmasters, as I already said to Drakken, big units are a bad thing. With elves, they're big, unarmored pincushions that lack the mobility of a 12, 15, or 16-man unit and will easily be reduced to that number if taken in such large size.

A quick note on swordmasters (if you couldn't tell, I'm jumping between your first and second post), if I thought they were execs, then yes they would be in a unit of 12 with only a champ. That's how execs are used; swordmasters fight in I order. With S5, they have close to a statistically equal chance as an equally large unit of spearmen in terms of causing casualties. They're not necessarily a "main base" unit, but they're certainly not in need of being a purely flanking force like White Lions. With regards to dragon armor, as I told DP it is a points filler that can be removed if I need the points. If I'm not using the 2 points here or there, I'd like to spend them there for the conversion opportunities (tenative future plans). In terms of magic, it's a bit of a different concept I'm going for here. Against magic-heavy armies I will lose out, but still be able to hold my ground in a sense. Against caddy armies, I will be able to exhaust dice and scrolls and start slinging it around. Basically, it's a cheap way of getting an extra phase in against the little guy and a bit more expensive way of taking on the big guy. For cavalry, I'm getting mixed messages here; big units only from some people (including you) as a hammer, but then small units for the MSU-style of play from other people (also including you). It's a balance, though I think I *may* have been somewhat convinced to lean towards a 10-man hammer. Last thing I have to say between your first two posts is to recheck your math. A quick look at 19 spearmen with a standard costing 203 points is definetely not right; 16 with FC is 206, and the spearmen cost more than the command do.

@Mirz Do Ordas:
!cry! !cry! Sniff... (note, that's actually a happy cry but there's no emoticon for it. That was just so beautiful, I had to quote it twice.

@Drakken:
Overall? I think you need to read that 1st post again...this was not a design me a list thread...its a state your opinions to attempt to improve this list, and back them up with reasons.

(As directly above to Mirz Do Ordas).

@Malius: A satisfied customer... well, that was a refreshing change of pace, though in reference to chariots, what would I take out to get them?

Alright, that's mostly everyone and everything... that took quite a long time to write (more than the 45 minutes I had thought), so take a look and we'll get going with the conversation "on the flip side", so to speak. Until then, avanti!
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

Dragon_prince
Executioner

Post by Dragon_prince »

pmpn8ez wrote:
@DP: If I am supposed to be thankful for you taking time out of your day to insult, not criticize me (easily going beyond the list here), then I'd rather you not post at all. The only comments I've gotten from you is that the list sucks; no intelligible reasoning or explanation behind it, nor any real suggestions. As that contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation at hand or to the list itself, then I don't need the extra commentary; there's plenty to work from here as it is from Asur and Druchii players alike.

uhhh, are you blind :S really I said why the list sucked, I said what changes you need, and I sais I will give better comments on the small changes...
And I didn't insult you, did I give you a name, nope, did I said something bad about you in a person, nope.

Just read the whole post, not only a first sentence, it really helps...
Lord anathir
Warrior

Post by Lord anathir »

@ Drakken

Heh....Tactical Arguments are great. But im not gonna argue anymore as we reach an agreement on that stuff....
I play at my local games workshop store (in Toronto, SquareOne MAll) against (for the most part) experienced and non-experienced. But my primary opponents consist of Empire (newb), Khorne (tournament player that went to montreal gt and finished top ten i think), Woodies, the store manager who plays dwarves and OK. Than there are these two other people with particularily strong lists of Brettonia and Vampire Counts. Im pretty happy as thats a wide range of armies. Im only 14 years old, so i cant drive to tourneys across the country lol. But my record playing mixed high elves with my current list is 7 wins and 1 loss, the loss against a Skaven SAD.
But tell me what you think of small spearmen units. I went through hell to convert the extra 5 models so i wouldnt have to buy another box. But know im thinking of dropping some random spears to get magic items for a bunch of units.

This is my current list btw:
Prince, Steed, Barding, Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance, Radiant Gem of Hoeth, Scroll, Talisman of Saphery (enemy magic weapons dont work when in base contact......."sorry, no more killing blow for you!")
Commander, Steed, Barding, Heavy Armour, BSB, BATTLE BANNER!!!!!
5 silverhelms wChamp (+Prince)
5 silverhelms wChamp (+BSB)
19 Spears w SB
18 Spears w SB
10 Swords w Champ
5 Reavers
2 Chariots
2 Eagles
2 RBT
5 Dragon Princes wChamp

In terms of tactics, I take a little risk in terms of magic defense, but with the amounts of potential mage hunters in my list (reavers, eagles, rbt), i usually take them out. In terms of deployment and in game tactics, every game is a different deployment, because i work on denying the enemy vp, I have so many units I can flee a charge and counter charge with another unit or two. What do you think? I am considering dropping both units of spears to 15 to free up 77 points, which i intend to spend on dp and swordmasters magic items.

@pmpn8ez about my math, I took into account what i put in brackets, so i factored that into the math at the end of each line. Lol....i still dont quite agree with the archers, but its a personal preference.....how about a new list with the changes (are there any ? lol)
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

Apparently the true master has proven himself to young Grasshopper... (master being the all-knowing Drakken, of course :D ).

@pmpn8ez about my math, I took into account what i put in brackets, so i factored that into the math at the end of each line. Lol....i still dont quite agree with the archers, but its a personal preference.....how about a new list with the changes (are there any ? lol)

I did actually make about half a dozen alternate lists based on varying peoples' suggestions (one with Drakkens, one with yours, one with a few people who were among the first posters, I think even one with DP's, one trying to fit everyones). I just didn't post them because it would be a long post indeed to show 5 or 6 lists... it wouldn't be practical either, because I'd be dividing everything up and getting differing comments on different lists. I think I'll try a few of the alternate lists for sure and even if I don't end up using most of them on a regular basis, I think I will end up changing the original list slightly to fit a few of the sounder suggestions.

Drakken

Post by Drakken »

Yet again I prove why I have my Title....I can convince anyone I know what I'm talking about....

Small units of Spearman work on maximization of attacks and points. 138 pts for 12 with a Musician, deployed with 2 ranks, and normally plentiful unit count. I was expiramenting for a while with just a unit or 2 of left-over models and realized that without thinking, I was playing very similar to my MSUish DE. So I sat down and cranked my unit count up by shrinking unit size, then tried to figure out the glue unit. With DE, I find its normally characters, with things like a Pegasus mounted noble for a few kills, or Sorceress's for simple spammed damage everywhere. With HE, it seems like its Chariots, using there lengthy charge and small frontage...

What it really came down to for me, I don't think completely phasing out large units works, but simple experience with Elves has taught me unit count is very important. Elves never win on casulties unless I'm lucky, they win on CR, so I need a few ranks units. I tried providing this with a few bigger units supported by other things, but the extreme cost of all the toys kept getting in the way. This is when I really started toying with the idea of a mix of Medium and small units, since I have something like 150 spearman between types, allowing me a lot of room to play. Unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of chance to playtest it lately, so I'm not sure how much beyond Theoryhammer I can take this idea yet...but I'm hoping I got my point across.

Its not really just about using the small units, its about recognizing I need CR, and unit count (which means small units with Elves) is an easy way to add some quickly.
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

Out of curiosity, what about units of 12 spears in 4x3? It gives the small frontage of an about normal-sized corsair unit but still gives you 3 attacks. I know the rear 4 can't fight on a charge, but is it worth the extra static point of CR (providing you don't take casualties), or is 12 in 6x2 just the best way to go?

Drakken

Post by Drakken »

4*3 all the way. Not Elite enough troops to warrent a 6*2, and if there stuck in for any reason, all still get to attack when 4*3 aynway.
Lord anathir
Warrior

Post by Lord anathir »

My three options im considering are these:

5x3
4x4
5x4 (-1 in the back rank for a total of 19)

But i dont really know what to choose. The last choice looks so cool on the battle field though.......and thats what im leaning towards....suggestions?
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

The bigger regiments look cooler maybe, but it is ultimately the smaller ones that are better because they cost less and are more maneuverable/ manageable. They also become more expendable than they would be otherwise, so losing a small unit of 12 or 15 could be worth it if you can ensure the eventual destruction of, say, 10 IC knights as a result.

Drakken

Post by Drakken »

I'm leaning more and more towards 1 big unit just because I like having a big unit, which will probably be 20 in 5*4. This will be supported by quite a few 12 (*3) and 16s (4*4). I would not run spearman 5*3, because while that maximizes attacks, its does so on an average combat unit. Better to find the last few points and go 16 or drop them and something else. Only Elites would I really run 5*3 (Lions and Swordmasters especially).
Lother
Corsair

Post by Lother »

Well, I will post a 2000 pts list I'm going to play with if I get to fight a battle:

1st combo (against small-medium units) - Combat Res provider
14 spearelves, captain, std
chariot (as extra punch, cc support)
5sh, hv armour, no shields (in cc support)

2nd combo (against medium - hard units) - CR provider
16 spearelves, capt, std
chariot (as extra punch, cc support)
5sh, capt, full armour + mage, lvl 1, Pure of Heart, 2 dispel, high magic (in cc support)

Support units
5 ellyrian reavers, mus
5 ellyrian reavers, mus
2 eagles
2 eagles

Hammers
6 dragon princes, capt, std + commander, ench shield, lance, full armour, general.
6 sh, capt, banner of ellyrion + commander, bsb - battle banner, full armour.

1996 pts

I'll try to kill or slow skirmishers, draw charges and destroy mages/warmachines with eagles + ellyrians, perhaps with the help of the 5 strong sh.
I'll try to charge (if possible, not receiving the charge, if I have to receive the charge, then I'll put an eagle in the front so I can flank him and charge a chariot in too) my CR providers against his main battle units, while avoiding the really nasty ones with my eagles & ellyrians. The Spears are there to add +3 to CR + perhaps outnumber + 9 str 3 attacks on the charge, the chariot adds kills and the sh negate ranks and add kills.
My hammers will help where it's needed, perhaps taking the place of the supporting silver helms against thought units, or they can make a team with a SH or reaver unit to assault a big sized enemy unit.
If I don't lose both hammers, it will be ok, I think. The other units are all expendable.
The nasty trick of the army is the 6 sh with battle banner and the banner of ellyrion, good movility and good hitting power, when everyone would think that the 6 dp with the general are the real threat.
PoH is with the mage, General with the lance commander and the 80 pts of the battle banner with the BSB, so in case I loose some of them I won't suffer as much as a general+PoH... Just my thoughts.
As stated, I'll try to charge always, even if that means sacrificing eagles to fix a unit for a turn.

Models in army:
Units in army:

Magic:
3 power dice
3 dispel, 2 scrolls, many expendable units.

PS1: I'm thinking about boosting the number of spears of the first unit, perhaps droping things like banner of ellyrion, the horse of the mage, ...

PS2: the reason for the selection of troops in this list can be found here:
Hints for army selection, using infantry (CRH)
Drakken

Post by Drakken »

To avoid going any further off topic from what this was started as, I'll avoid commenting on your princples Lothar...suffice to say I disagree quite a bit, but this isn't the place to discuss it.

Pmpn8ez, had a chance to play test a bit yet, see how things work?
Sulam
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulam »

It's just a matter of personal preference; I like archers, everyone else hates them.
I think you have someone on your side, pimp8nez:P
I also like them. Not as much as We or druchii rxb, but they are a great support for repeaters. I know they are expensive, but IMO, a RBT just can'y do it whitout missle fire support.

-Sulam
|/^^^^^^^^^^^^^\ |______
|The Pimpmobile runs | |||'""|'"\___,
|over Bunny and Birdyl l||__|__|__|)
|(@)(@)"""""""""""""(@) (@)--------(@)

Army pics: www.bretonnia.i8.com/1darkelves.html
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

Drakken wrote:Pmpn8ez, had a chance to play test a bit yet, see how things work?

Between the time I posted this list the first time (which you responded to :D , albeit you were the only one :( ) and now, I have played with this exact list a fair bit. Originally this post had a ton of text attached to it relating all of my experiences, but after about a day, I had no replies so I edited it out and put this instead:
*EDIT* Ok, so I guess a huge bit of writing (it turned out to be a full page when put into word) at the end doesn't really help for popularity or replies. No harm done then, let's just turn this into another "rate my army" post. ;)

Needless to say, I got a half dozen replies by the next day. :P I did copy and paste what I wrote into Microsoft word and it came out to a full page of single spaced text (I did save it though). Of course, I wouldn't ask you to read all of it, but this is what I originally wrote:
Original post wrote:Now, for a little bit of insight gained after about half a dozen games with this army list. :) First off, the myth that archers are a complete waste of points is, well, a myth. I used to believe it myself until I took my own advice from other things and made sure to correctly prioritize enemy units and more importantly, not to expect of them what they could not do. After they chewed through their ~3rd unit of fast cavalry (over a couple of games) I came to the decision that a 30" range, BS4 unit that could move and fire was really an awesome thing. Even at a price of 120 points, all they need to do is panic or destroy 1 small unit of skirmishers or fast cav and they usually have almost paid for themselves. When it's apparent that I won't be able to assist a unit with a flank charge for a turn or 2, shaving off that crucial rank bonus from +3 to +2 by killing just 1 or 2 models is a lifesaver. It takes a huge amount of pressure off of the unit about to engage and makes it much easier to manage fighting a superior numbered foe without any assistance.

As to the workings of the army as a whole, the +1 to dispel is a godsend against magic-heavy armies who can usually outnumber my dispel dice on just a single spell. It's especially nice against VC (specifically AoS) and TK opponents, who I do fight regularly and who have lots of low casting value spells (be they bound items or incantations). As with Druchii, it is very important for each unit to work with another, since the model count tends to be low and I often look at my side of the field before a game feeling bereft of an army. Another thing that's really different is the switch from harpies to eagles. The eagle is better individually, which makes for a smaller frontage and more power behind attacks. The trade-off comes in where it's only 1 model and can easily lose a combat or get itself killed, as well as only having 2 attacks by itself. I guess it's just a thing to get used to, but the change went noticed as soon as I found myself wanting to be more frugal with them and using them in a pair, almost as unit flyers. Last point on items is a quick plug for the Banner of Ellyrion; this thing is the coolest banner I've played with, probably ever. It's ultra cheap and ultra amazing, so kudos to the pretty magic flag.

Reflecting back on the differences between Asur and Druchii, one of the only things I really didn't like was the lack of options in choosing equipment. Spearelves come with everything already equipped and archers are a seperate choice, unlike Druchii who use the same base and are given items as necessary. Though I guess I would have ended up in the same place (or one similar) if I did have the options, it just felt a bit constricting. One of the few things that made up for this was taking a unit of 7 cav and having them cost less than only 5 CoK with command (before adding the banner), which was nice :D. More to the context of the post and the last point I'll make, the army itself has proven itself quite effective as long as I can keep control of the movement phase. It's got a nice little record of solid and minor victories under its sleeve, plus one massacre. The events of each battle and their outcomes are a pretty accurate representation of how thoroughly I could affect my opponents movements with my own, where poorer results tended to come from enemies with lots of magic/ shooting or fast units that could compete with my own. Anyway, those are my experiences thus far with the army. Any comments on the army itself or what I said are welcome, as always.

@Sulam:
I think you have someone on your side, pimp8nez:P
I also like them. Not as much as We or druchii rxb, but they are a great support for repeaters. I know they are expensive, but IMO, a RBT just can'y do it whitout missle fire support.

-Sulam

Some of my thoughts exactly. Though I have sort of phased out of using them as support units for the RBTs (more as flank protectors now), I still do use them as direct support. The complement of fire can cause that extra casualty or so needed for a crucial panic test and things like that. The more I think about it though, the more I love archers and want them to do more.