2000 Points of Asur for 2000 Posts of Druchii

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

2000 Points of Asur for 2000 Posts of Druchii

Post by Pmpn8ez »

As of recently, I've been playing with a somewhat-new Asur army in favor of Druchii. I posted a list basically identical to this before (which only got 1 reply and I thank you Drakken :D ), but I hadn't yet really played any games with it and so really didn't know how I wanted to go or what my theme/ fluff would be. So, here's 2000 points of Asur for 2000 posts of Druchii (1999 technically... :roll: ). Any comments or criticisms are always appreciated.

Blue is for characters or units, red is magic items, green is mounts taken as options, orange is honors, and brown is slot type.

Heroes-
Commander- Blade of Darting Steel, Dragon Armor, Shield, Ithilmar Barded Elven Steed, Pure of Heart. @140 pts.
Commander- Great Weapon, Dragon Armor, Swordmaster. @116 pts.
Commander- Halberd, Dragon Armor, Ring of Corin. @115 pts.
Mage- Level 2 Upgrade, Silver Wand, Ring of Fury. @170 pts.

Core-
10 Archers- Longbow. @120 pts.
10 Archers- Longbow. @120 pts.
16 Spearmen- Spear, Light Armor, Shield, Full Command. @206 pts.
7 Silver Helms- Lance, Heavy Armor, Shield, Barded Elven Steed, Full Command, Banner of Ellyrion. @211 pts.

Special-
5 Ellyrian Reavers- Bow, Spear, Light Armor, Musician. @127 pts.
15 Swordmasters- Great Weapon, Heavy Armor, Full Command. @225 pts.
5 Shadow Warriors- Longbow, Light Armor. @75 pts.
5 Shadow Warriors- Longbow, Light Armor. @75 pts.

Rare-
2 Great Eagles- Talons. @100 pts.
2 Repeater Bolt Throwers- 4 Crew- Hand Weapon, Light Armor. @200 pts.

**Commander 1 goes with Silver Helms, 2 with Swordmasters, 3 with Spearmen, Mage with Archers or alone.

Army Stats:
-85 Models
-4 Power Dice, 3 Dispel Dice
-27.05% Heroes, 32.9% Core, 25.05% Special, 15.0% Rare

*EDIT* Ok, so I guess a huge bit of writing (it turned out to be a full page when put into word) at the end doesn't really help for popularity or replies. No harm done then, let's just turn this into another "rate my army" post. ;)
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

«The wonder has a name: pmpn8ez.»
Denthor
Assassin

Post by Denthor »

I like the list other than the mage he is a waste of time having the ring of fur and silver wand as he won't cast many spells, he would be better off leve 1 one with 2 dispel scrolls that will surve you better as you will have just as many dispel dice as well as the ability to stop any nasty spells

Denthor
The Plague of Nurgle Is Here Resistance Is Futile
Dragon_prince
Executioner

Post by Dragon_prince »

well it sucks...
it won't win....
:P
need ore magic less shooting, maybe some extra cav bigge runit speamren smaller unit swordmasters

etc etc
The stength goes through your skills, not your weapon.
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

Dragon_prince wrote:well it sucks...
it won't win....
:P
need ore magic less shooting, maybe some extra cav bigge runit speamren smaller unit swordmasters

etc etc

Thanks a ton DP; that was an almost constructive, but not really, piece of advice.

Denthor, I'll have to get back to you on that one. Though this is just a minor point, remember one of the commanders also has the Ring of Corin, so that's 2 bound items and a level 2 (about equal to 3 levels of magic). I'm leery to put a scroll caddy in his place, though, because I think they're usually false economy. After the scrolls are gone he's basically just a useless sitting duck and with a basic point cost of 95, that's a pretty expensive duck. I will consider it, though, but I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath for a cry of "Eureka!"[/quote]
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

Dragon_prince
Executioner

Post by Dragon_prince »

well it sais enough, make a new list :P
Lloyba
Noble

Post by Lloyba »

isn't that a bit flamery dragon prince :roll:
i like the list, it seems to have a equal amount of fast, flank and hammer elements, so it doesn't rely on just one asset. it seems good and fluffy, although i'm no expert when it comes to high elves...
Alkkrision
Daemon Prince

Post by Alkkrision »

DP: You're on a Druchii forum with an Asur name saying nothing constructive about an Asur army. Even if this was a completely dire list, some of it would have to be used in a different list, say something constructive in future, such as actually suggesting improvements with reasons.

pmpn8ez: This list isn't actually too bad in my opinion, makes a change to some of the Asur lists I've seen. I reckon maybe drop a commander for a cheap mage or something. I'm just thinking that a lot of High Elf lists go magic heavy, and generally if people know this, they're going to go magic heavy too. Even up against Druchii, two sorceresses, both with chillwind, you're only going to be able to stop one spell thanks to three dispel dice, so your shooting will be hinded. But I do like the fact you're going to be using a lot of shooting to counteract this, and at such range, you're going to be shooting from turn one.

However, I'm not really that experienced with Asur, so all I can suggest is that you try and increase your dispel pool, those swordmasters are going to be targetted, and they're going to be one of your hardest hitters.
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

Magic heavy... that sounds familiar in an Elf army. ;) I will be using this army for tournaments, so it won't always be immediately apparent that my opponents will be fighting HE (and thus, they won't be able to go magic-heavy as a counter unless they've already decided on it before the tournament), but I do see what you're saying. Saying I get rid of a commander (it would have to be the halberd one), I'll still give him the Ring of Corin, as taking it out would just set me back closer to where I was in the first place. What is there to take out, though, that I could afford the mage in the first place (he's 25 more than the commander) and then upgrade him for another 35?

Scipio
Highborn

Post by Scipio »

I think your fine for tournaments but in the early game your magic will not be that effective...late game though I think it will work out. I don't think getting rid of a commander is the answer but maybe giving the sword master one the Gem of Hoeth instead would be cool.
Anyone else find it kinda interesting that DE will not use gun powder because its unreliable but seem to have no problem using cold ones?
Darenth slavetaker
Beastmaster

Post by Darenth slavetaker »

Not sure on this, but Radient Blah might be too expensive for a Commander. If it isn't, that would work too.
*walks into GW HQ*

"So, is this a toy factory?"

-(In)famous last words
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

*Checks what Radiant Gem does*

Uh huh... well, it does cost 5 points more, though I could do it pretty easily. The thing is, what's he going to cast? If I switch a few things around, I could give him the ring of fury and have the mage take an annulian crystal and silver wand. That's 40 points lost, 40 points gained, and a few switches and instead of just being a level 1 wizard, I steal a power dice and put it in my dispel pool. Is that alright, or no? The thing is, I don't really want a powerful magic phase; I'd really rather just "get by" and exercise dominance over the mundane side of things. I do have 5 capable mage hunting units, but if you guys think I need more dd, then I could do that, too.

Dragon_prince
Executioner

Post by Dragon_prince »

radiam gem is one of the best items around, don't look at it as an lvl 1 mage item thingy, but as a +1 pd +1dd thingy that is enchanted =)

too good :D

@alkkrison

well I think it really sucks but when I say keep this and that change the rest is wouldn't be helpfull too, I just say, use big units spearmen, swordmasters as flanker, a bit more amgic(for dd) and less hooting
Sulam
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulam »

I don't know what you are talking about, Dp, but I think this list is pretty good.
But(as usual) I don't agree with the charatcer choises.

IMO, you should drop one commander and add one unit of 5 silver helms to act as extra support. yoiu should perhaps have to drop some silverhelms from the original unit. i think you'll need to drop the mounted noble with the dartsteel balde for this.

If you take an expensive HE mage, I think you should use it in an other way. My combination: +1 pd magic item (srry can't remember the name) and the ring of fury. Give him the lore of heavens and you'll always have the option to re-roll your D6 of the ROF and have anotehr (often nice) spell. In order to enhance your magic powers, I am in favour of dropping the swordmaster honour for the magic item that makes the character a wizard (I forgot the name again:()

Give this commander the high magic lore and you'll have a nice ethereal fighting hero, which can be quite annoying to qour opponent. (Especially in challenges)

If you really want ot get your opponent's plan completely disturbed this could also be handy. It is a risky tactic, cos you won't be quite sure whether you'll keep you ROF long. take the lore of shadows and use your ethereal hero as a chariot blocker by flying him in c with the steed of shadows spell.

And at finally; I can really say that you should get an reinforced cavalry commander hero. (commander, helm of fortune, shield, barded steed, lance/sword of might)
One disadvantage: You can't take the ring of corin anymore, but you WILL ahve +1 PD and +1 D, the choise is yours.

This way your characters and army are more balanced and you'll be able to beat a lot of opponents with it.

good job!

-Sulam
|/^^^^^^^^^^^^^\ |______
|The Pimpmobile runs | |||'""|'"\___,
|over Bunny and Birdyl l||__|__|__|)
|(@)(@)"""""""""""""(@) (@)--------(@)

Army pics: www.bretonnia.i8.com/1darkelves.html
Scipio
Highborn

Post by Scipio »

pmpn8ez wrote: Uh huh... well, it does cost 5 points more, though I could do it pretty easily. The thing is, what's he going to cast? If I switch a few things around, I could give him the ring of fury and have the mage take an annulian crystal and silver wand. That's 40 points lost, 40 points gained, and a few switches and instead of just being a level 1 wizard, I steal a power dice and put it in my dispel pool. Is that alright, or no? The thing is, I don't really want a powerful magic phase; I'd really rather just "get by" and exercise dominance over the mundane side of things. I do have 5 capable mage hunting units, but if you guys think I need more dd, then I could do that, too.

Well, 4 dispell dice is kind of a "magic" number in a lot of cases for me. It seems to work good on lvl2 mages casting on 3 dice. So either option would work in my eyes.

I agree with with what Dragon Prince says about the Gem of Hoeth. That was my thought. I prefere the Gem because I have had a lot of fun with this combo.

Prince - HA, La, Sh, barded steed, Gem of Hoeth, Seer, Guardian Pheonix (He chooses Flaming Sword of Ruin as a spell)

It's a lot of fun if & when this guy goes off! :D
Anyone else find it kinda interesting that DE will not use gun powder because its unreliable but seem to have no problem using cold ones?
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

Alright then sulam, thanks for the reply. :D I usually don't agree with character selection either whenever I rate lists; I guess it's a personal thing. :P Something that really caught my eye above everything else in your post (and made me think quite a bit about it) was:
If you take an expensive HE mage, I think you should use it in an other way.

That got me thinking, mainly because I hold the same stance as I've replied to people before:
The thing is, I don't really want a powerful magic phase; I'd really rather just "get by" and exercise dominance over the mundane side of things.

The reason why I thought this was so interesting is because I am, in fact, spending quite a bit for what is essentially a mediocre magic phase (not that much, but when you're talking in elven terms, it's more than other people pay). That's where I'm sort of divided though. I can spend 170 points on this guy (plus 35 other points, to add the other ring) and I still only have 3 dd with +1 on my dispel attempts. That's less than a scroll caddy, who would give me 2 more scrolls in addition to what I have AND it would cost less if I dropped the level upgrade. The thing with that is, caddies are false economy. It's like a case of me wanting to have my cake and eat it too; I don't want a heavy magic phase, but I don't want to take a caddy, but if I don't then I'm overspending for what little I do get. Ugh; big mess. The radiant gem (as discussed above) would give me that hero who can be ethereal (not necessarily likely, since my magic is weak enough that an opponent can either dispel it on the attempt or later, since it's power level 4). I don't know how taking one less commander (and thus, ridding my chances of the RoC as you said) helps this option very much (except for adding to my influence over the 'mundane sphere', which is where I want to be.

I know I'm going in circles here, but I don't know how else to phrase it. I know that leaving the selection as it is probably isn't "being all I can be" (shameless US army plug), something you and Alkkrision and Darenth and I think even DP pointed out. It's just a matter of what to do with it; the radiant gem is an option everyone also pointed to, but is +1 to each of my pools worth getting when I could pay less for the same (jewel of dusk for +1 pd is 1/3, annulian crystal for a dice swap and less points also). Since both items are arcane, this will take away my silver wand (like losing one thing so I can pay for another that complements the first one), but I still question the value of the gem. I can test it out of course, I'm just reluctant to do so (and that's my problem, obviously).

*EDIT* (in response to Scipio):
Well, 4 dispell dice is kind of a "magic" number in a lot of cases for me. It seems to work good on lvl2 mages casting on 3 dice. So either option would work in my eyes.

I agree with with what Dragon Prince says about the Gem of Hoeth. That was my thought. I prefere the Gem because I have had a lot of fun with this combo.

I will try that; my comments above sort of cover my hesitance behind taking the gem, for said reasons which I mentioned.

Prince - HA, La, Sh, barded steed, Gem of Hoeth, Seer, Guardian Pheonix (He chooses Flaming Sword of Ruin as a spell)

It's a lot of fun if & when this guy goes off!

The thing is, that requires taking a prince due to magic item restrictions, which is a huge no-no. While I'm sure he is a ton of fun to use (though seer to decide one spell seems wasteful), taking a lord choice is the one thing which I must flatly refuse without recourse to any justification. It's one thing that my elf lists won't contain and though I do have reasons behind this, 2000 points to me is the same as 1500 with an extra hero; no lords allowed.

Scipio
Highborn

Post by Scipio »

pmpn8ez wrote: I will try that; my comments above sort of cover my hesitance behind taking the gem, for said reasons which I mentioned.

I respect that. In fact I think I was more concerned about DD in your army then PD but getting more in each would be good. So as I said either option you mentioned I think would work.

pmpn8ez wrote:The thing is, that requires taking a prince due to magic item restrictions, which is a huge no-no. While I'm sure he is a ton of fun to use (though seer to decide one spell seems wasteful), taking a lord choice is the one thing which I must flatly refuse without recourse to any justification. It's one thing that my elf lists won't contain and though I do have reasons behind this, 2000 points to me is the same as 1500 with an extra hero; no lords allowed.

O no I was not suggesting take a Prince in this config anyway (thats just why I thought of the gem first cause I've used it a lot and even a 1st level mage with the right spell is a threat)...Actually if you try the gem try it by taking Shadow Lore on the guy holding the gem and use him to draw out dispel dice (I would change his weapon to 2 hand weapons as well). Actually I think you have a descent magic phase because of all the threats. Ring of Corin will likely draw dispel dice, steed of shadows will likely draw dispel dice...after that unless it is a magic heavy list you should be drawing scrolls.
Lother
Corsair

Post by Lother »

Well, I know dragon prince hasn't been polite, but... in fact... it's a rather pityful list as far as I'm concerned. Even more if you try to use it in tournaments.

If you want this list to be competitive:
Heroes:
You have too many. High elves are expensive, so you can't spend such an amount of points on characters. Either drop 1 of the commanders and the second level of the mage and get 2 dispel, or get 2 lvl 2 mages with 1 dispel and both rings and 1 commander with the silver helms or a unit of dragon princes.
Dragon armour: it's absolutely worthless unless in a unit of dragon princes, get heavy armour instead.
Blade of darting steel: use a lance or a great weapon, that blade is horribly expensive and not worth it if you use it with anything different than armour of the gods (which gives you +1 to strength). People have made calculations and you kill as much with a GW than with those extra attacks.
Think about a commander as banner standard bearer with the battle banner (for 80 pts you get +1D6 to combat resolution)...

Core:
Archers: drop them!!! they will never be worth their points, even less in tournaments.
More spears, 20, 24 work well with the kind of army you are trying.
Use more units of silver helms they are one of the best units we have, you could get a hammer with 10 s.helms, and a pair of small units of 5 or 6 silver helms to negate ranks.

Special:
drop the bows of the reavers, they are good, but too high cost for what they do.
SMasters: they are better charging the flanks of the enemy, so 15 or 12 with a champion and perhaps a musician could be good. No standard.
Think about tiranoc chariots, they are not the best chariots, but you haven't got much options either.
Think also about dragon princes.

Rare: it's ok

The style of play with high elves is different than with dark elves, small H.E. infantry units don't work that well. And our archery sucks, archers, ellyrian reavers with bows... Finally, the best tournament lists with high elves are all cavalry, other lists don't have high chances of being succesfull unless played by experienced he players.

And the best advice: visit http://www.asur.org
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

Blade of darting steel: use a lance or a great weapon, that blade is horribly expensive and not worth it if you use it with anything different than armour of the gods (which gives you +1 to strength). People have made calculations and you kill as much with a GW than with those extra attacks.

That's not what the item does. You would be referring to the blade of leaping gold (+3 attacks), which is 15 points more than the item in question. Since I can't take that item on anything less than a lord (since it is over 50 points), it's not really relevant to the discussion.
Dragon armour: it's absolutely worthless unless in a unit of dragon princes, get heavy armour instead.

It's a point filler. What will I do with those 6 points otherwise? Likely nothing. Since I am planning on changing the list soon and implementing the suggestions of a couple of previous posters (who, I'll take the time to say, have been quite insightful and I thank you all for that), I will be dropping the dragon armor on the 2 unmounted commanders. The swordmaster to crystal swap also loses my free great weapon, so I need 4 points to pay for a halberd. Again, they fill points and I can lose them as necessary.
Think about a commander as banner standard bearer with the battle banner (for 80 pts you get +1D6 to combat resolution)...

Taking a BSB with the battle banner would cost more than taking a 4th hero, something you said was "too expensive". I also am limited to only ld8 then, since with 2 mages and 1 commander who is the BSB, if I roll 4, 5, or 6 on my I@C roll and get to choose my general, I can't choose the commander since he's BSB. Only rolling his designated number will make him the general, but since I usually don't rely on rolling 6+ saves, I won't rely on having him be my general (since they have an equal chance of happening).

Archers: drop them!!! they will never be worth their points, even less in tournaments.
More spears, 20, 24 work well with the kind of army you are trying.
Use more units of silver helms they are one of the best units we have, you could get a hammer with 10 s.helms, and a pair of small units of 5 or 6 silver helms to negate ranks.

Archers have to stay; I'm not trying to cheese out my list to make it indestructible (though I do want to be competitive). Though the majority of HE players tell me they suck, I have proven this wrong to myself again and again on the battlefield. They usually save me, since everyone has such a low opinion of them and gets careless with their fast cav/ scouts/ skirmishers/ etc. and ends up losing them. Even if people did give them the respect they deserve, they still make sure my flanks are safe from fast units with low armor. As with any elven unit, use it right and it's well worth the cost (excpt LSG! :P ). The second two suggestions you gave were both completely antithesis to MSU, which this list is a synthesis of. Though not pure MSU by any stretch, the synthesis comes in with having lots of small units and flankers at the expense of other things, like huge units. No unit is larger than 16 and that's for spearmen, which some people (apparently you included) count as being quite small.

Special:
drop the bows of the reavers, they are good, but too high cost for what they do.
SMasters: they are better charging the flanks of the enemy, so 15 or 12 with a champion and perhaps a musician could be good. No standard.
Think about tiranoc chariots, they are not the best chariots, but you haven't got much options either.
Think also about dragon princes.

Reavers with bows and spears cost just as much as DRs with the same equipment, yet few people say they're too high cost for that... I'm not using my reavers as a flanking unit in the majority of situations, unless I really need to. In that case, missile weapons would befit them for the majority of the game, since they won't be in combat with much more than WM crews.

Swordmasters are unlike other GW units. Though I fully agree that execs, greatswords, and all those units who use GWs are best in units of 10 or 12, swordmasters are the exception. Why? Because they strike in I order, which means they usually go first unless charging. They're easily a powerful combat unit on their own, which is something I'm in need of as I only have the spearmen otherwise.

I did think about chariots and DPs, but referring back to one of your earlier comments, I like to keep it cheap. SHs are the poor man's DP and they do their job just as well, except in certain specal circumstances when you absolutely need that +1M or extra WS/I. Generally I don't, since elves (all types) are probably the fastest race in the game. 26 ppm also would require some serious removal of units, as opposed to any of the suggestions you gave which would all cost more points.

I'll stay away from a.org, thanks. These boards are better in terms of the race they're dedicated to and HE are more than close enough to DE that the same tactics apply. People don't realize how similar they are in terms of cost and ability; HE archers are supposedly crap, yet for 1 point less you get 6" shorter range on DE archers, who supposedly don't. Now, multishot and LA kind of make up for this, but it puts them on about equal footing. All cav armies and shooty/ magic armies do tend to do best, that's for certain. I never said I wanted any of the above, though. I'm not out to win every GT I can find (though it would be nice to win 1 or 2 :D ), and I'm not out to do it with a cliche cav list.

**EDIT**
Well, I know dragon prince hasn't been polite, but... in fact... it's a rather pityful list as far as I'm concerned. Even more if you try to use it in tournaments.

Just thought I should address this too; it's not that I'm closed to criticism or negative replies. In fact, yours was relatively critical and negative in terms of the list, which I'm fine with. However, you didn't end your post with just that quote, whereas DP would have. It's not a matter of politeness of correctness, but rather what you suggest. I don't mind answering to negative reviews of my list (after all, I can't expect to please everyone), but the fact that you gave a rhyme and reason as well as alternate suggestions is enough for me. It's just the 2 sentence "this list sucks. change it" posts that really annoy me.

Lother
Corsair

Post by Lother »

That's not what the item does. You would be referring to the blade of leaping gold (+3 attacks), which is 15 points more than the item in question. Since I can't take that item on anything less than a lord (since it is over 50 points), it's not really relevant to the discussion.

shiz! that was my mistake. Again, nothing beats the efectiveness of a great weapon, or a lance if you plan to break an enemy in 1 round. I would take the sword of might instead of that blade, it's really not worth the cost. And you will still hit first anyway.

It's a point filler. What will I do with those 6 points otherwise? Likely nothing. Since I am planning on changing the list soon and implementing the suggestions of a couple of previous posters (who, I'll take the time to say, have been quite insightful and I thank you all for that), I will be dropping the dragon armor on the 2 unmounted commanders. The swordmaster to crystal swap also loses my free great weapon, so I need 4 points to pay for a halberd. Again, they fill points and I can lose them as necessary.

If you are able to get the points, banner of ellyrion for your silver helms, for example.

Taking a BSB with the battle banner would cost more than taking a 4th hero, something you said was "too expensive". I also am limited to only ld8 then, since with 2 mages and 1 commander who is the BSB, if I roll 4, 5, or 6 on my I@C roll and get to choose my general, I can't choose the commander since he's BSB. Only rolling his designated number will make him the general, but since I usually don't rely on rolling 6+ saves, I won't rely on having him be my general (since they have an equal chance of happening).

Yes, it's expensive. But it's completely worth it. It's not that terrible if you take a lvl1/2 mage, the standard bearer and a mounted commander with full armour and the radiant gem or a ring (general), perhaps even with enchanted shield or any other combo you like.

If you like archers, that's ok. But they have never been cost-effective for me if I used more than 10. Using less archers isn't cheese, is just avoiding worthless units ;) .

Reavers with bows and spears cost just as much as DRs with the same equipment, yet few people say they're too high cost for that... I'm not using my reavers as a flanking unit in the majority of situations, unless I really need to. In that case, missile weapons would befit them for the majority of the game, since they won't be in combat with much more than WM crews.

Normal bows, only 1 shot, str 3. DRs have 2 shots, that's the difference.

If you like small units of SM, it's also Ok, but I still prefer another unit of spears.

I still think you should visit asur.org, because no matter how good these boards are compared to those, they still know more about high elves than a dark elven site.

Just thought I should address this too; it's not that I'm closed to criticism or negative replies. In fact, yours was relatively critical and negative in terms of the list, which I'm fine with. However, you didn't end your post with just that quote, whereas DP would have. It's not a matter of politeness of correctness, but rather what you suggest. I don't mind answering to negative reviews of my list (after all, I can't expect to please everyone), but the fact that you gave a rhyme and reason as well as alternate suggestions is enough for me. It's just the 2 sentence "this list sucks. change it" posts that really annoy me.

Yes, I know, I just meant that he was right if the list was meant for a tournament.
Dragon_prince
Executioner

Post by Dragon_prince »

pmpn8ez wrote:

**EDIT**

well it sucks, it really does, so I said it... If someone sais something like that, the list is really bad and really need changes, which I said if you have read my post, I said exactly the same, only didn't said why ;)

And nog every HE list is unbeateble, you can have a very nice list that wins ;) but just change it, and change the things I said before, when there only should be MINOR tweaks I will comment better ;) it's rather logical ;) 'cause if I should post what u should change and why, it would be a too long post ;) just take it from me, this list won't win
Alex c
Resident Beastmaster

Post by Alex c »

Got something in your eye Dragon_Prince?

And no post is too long if it gives viable, alternative army choices and why you think x would be better than y. pmpn8ez asked for comments and criticism, so I'm sure he will read any you might provide no matter how long it is.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
- Albert Einstein.
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

Alex C wrote:And no post is too long if it gives viable, alternative army choices and why you think x would be better than y. pmpn8ez asked for comments and criticism, so I'm sure he will read any you might provide no matter how long it is.

My thoughts exactly. Lother's first post was pretty long, but I read it all and commented on it in bits. It really doesn't matter how long it is to me, as long as you're posting relevant information in the vein of trying to help.

just take it from me, this list won't win

The thing is, it has. It's done better than I thought it would be. Before I actually played it, I was biased in much the same way as many people are; archers, LSG, PG all suck, SH/ swordmasters are the only troops that can win, magic and 4 rbts are needed, etc. etc. Then I played it and found it was all wrong (as many stereotypes are). Though I wouldn't say my opponents thus far are masters of the game, in a little bit more than half a dozen games, it averages a solid victory, with dotted other results. It does win and apparently it does so easily (I'm not that good of a HE general yet, so it probably is the list, since my luck tends to be abyssmal). It's just a matter of whether or not it can take on the big guns at tourneys where the WAAC, cheesy, or otherwise much stronger lists tend to be found. Now then, back to Lother's post (I'll edit this one or post a new one after I'm done, depending on whether I get any other replies between now and when I finish).

Dragon_prince
Executioner

Post by Dragon_prince »

Alex C wrote:Got something in your eye Dragon_Prince?

And no post is too long if it gives viable, alternative army choices and why you think x would be better than y. pmpn8ez asked for comments and criticism, so I'm sure he will read any you might provide no matter how long it is.

long = more time = not good

;) do you get it

The thing is, it has. It's done better than I thought it would be. Before I actually played it, I was biased in much the same way as many people are; archers, LSG, PG all suck, SH/ swordmasters are the only troops that can win, magic and 4 rbts are needed, etc. etc. Then I played it and found it was all wrong (as many stereotypes are). Though I wouldn't say my opponents thus far are masters of the game, in a little bit more than half a dozen games, it averages a solid victory, with dotted other results. It does win and apparently it does so easily (I'm not that good of a HE general yet, so it probably is the list, since my luck tends to be abyssmal). It's just a matter of whether or not it can take on the big guns at tourneys where the WAAC, cheesy, or otherwise much stronger lists tend to be found. Now then, back to Lother's post (I'll edit this one or post a new one after I'm done, depending on whether I get any other replies between now and when I finish).

no no no

LSG are a very good unit, archers aren't, take 1 main unit cav and one suppor not more, swordmasters are nice but not to many, magic is good not too much

look archers you should avoid, but the res tof the list is very good :)
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

Lother wrote:

shiz! that was my mistake. Again, nothing beats the efectiveness of a great weapon, or a lance if you plan to break an enemy in 1 round. I would take the sword of might instead of that blade, it's really not worth the cost. And you will still hit first anyway.

Lance; now that's a reasonable choice. If I do take it though, I can't use it if I have a magic weapon and if I don't take one, the lance is useless after round 1. I'm hoping on 1 round of combat in and out, but it's unrealistic to expect or prepare for only 1 round. As such, GWs are never an option I consider with elves, except when combined with the swordmaster rule. Ideally, I'd take the blade of sea gold (no AS), as with even only S4, he can cut through knights and armored folk. The only thing about it is that I have 5 points left... 5 points for a certain gem, perhaps...

Yes, it's expensive. But it's completely worth it. It's not that terrible if you take a lvl1/2 mage, the standard bearer and a mounted commander with full armour and the radiant gem or a ring (general), perhaps even with enchanted shield or any other combo you like.

I'm confused here; are you suggesting 2 level 2 mages and a commander (first post) or 1 level 2 mage and 2 commanders (second post)?

If you like archers, that's ok. But they have never been cost-effective for me if I used more than 10. Using less archers isn't cheese, is just avoiding worthless units ;) .

It's just a matter of personal preference; I like archers, everyone else hates them. :roll:

Reavers with bows and spears cost just as much as DRs with the same equpment, yet few people say they're too high cost for that... I'm not using my reavers as a flanking unit in the majority of situations, unless I really need to. In that case, missile weapons would befit them for the majority of the game, since they won't be in combat with much more than WM crews.

Normal bows, only 1 shot, str 3. DRs have 2 shots, that's the difference.

If you like small units of SM, it's also Ok, but I still prefer another unit of spears.

Ok, that makes sense, though with 2 shots it's -1 to hit. Still, I can see where the option comes in handy. Nevertheless, they're still cheap but saying I do take said bows off, what's to be done with 30 points?

I still think you should visit asur.org, because no matter how good these boards are compared to those, they still know more about high elves than a dark elven site.

We'll see how it goes. As of now, I've gotten quite a bit of review and when/ if I do change the list, I may create an account on a.org. Needless to say, if this even happens, it won't be for a small period of time.

LSG are a very good unit

look archers you should avoid, but the res tof the list is very good :)

That was just about the equivalent of "the Sundering" on your already waning credibility. Thanks, but no thanks.

Lother
Corsair

Post by Lother »

Lance; now that's a reasonable choice. If I do take it though, I can't use it if I have a magic weapon and if I don't take one, the lance is useless after round 1. I'm hoping on 1 round of combat in and out, but it's unrealistic to expect or prepare for only 1 round. As such, GWs are never an option I consider with elves, except when combined with the swordmaster rule. Ideally, I'd take the blade of sea gold (no AS), as with even only S4, he can cut through knights and armored folk. The only thing about it is that I have 5 points left... 5 points for a certain gem, perhaps...

Well, some guy made statistics for it, and the BoSG is worse than a great weapon... in fact, all of our weapons, unless the cheapest ones, like sword of might, are worse than great weapons (some weapons combined with armour of the gods are good, though), but I think lances or sword of might are the way if you don't like GW.

I'm confused here; are you suggesting 2 level 2 mages and a commander (first post) or 1 level 2 mage and 2 commanders (second post)?

You could take 2 lvl2s + 1 mounted commander (perhaps with a ring or other magic thing for more overwhelming magic) and the +3 PD banner if you are going deffensive, perhaps 1 lvl2 + 1 mounted commander with a ring and ench shield or the radiant gem if you want protection and some magical damage dealt, and you could even add a (battle banner) banner standard bearer or lance/great weapon commander. And if you want it cheap and offensive, a lvl1 scroll caddy + 1 mounted commander (general) + 1 mounted commander who could also be nasty if you give him the battle banner. That banner is usually seen in very competitive lists, is quite fragile, but devastating.

Ok, that makes sense, though with 2 shots it's -1 to hit. Still, I can see where the option comes in handy. Nevertheless, they're still cheap but saying I do take said bows off, what's to be done with 30 points?

The banner of ellyrion could mean an unexpected charge that could change the course of a battle, and you could always use more spears, perhaps if you drop some more points you could get 2 units of 5 silver helms, which could save you. By the way, if you want to make units of 8 sh or 7 sh+commander, don't do it, go for several units of 5/6 or a big unit of 10, 8 works quite bad.