What new armies can we expect??

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Skandalix
Assassin

What new armies can we expect??

Post by Skandalix »

I know that all stores are mad about GW creating so many different new models but for sure we deserve few more armies... Wood elvies are soon (winter??) coming out with nice more celtic-savage apparition (i love that :lol: ) But what are you betting will be next?? Maybe someone has any rumours?? I think for compliting the races/kingdoms of Old World there should be:

- Chaos Dwarves army (coz they exist and need refresh)

- Cathay army (coz they have nice fluff and can't be forgotten)

- Dogs of War (also need refresh, some rules are too old not adapted to the 6th edition reality also more Tilean aspect would be nice)

Those above are a must IMO...My other ideas:

- Arabian army (nice fluff but it would be difficult to invent some interesting new units) posible units: Sheikh, Vezyr (heros) Riders of Desert, Giant Scorpion, Nomads (Camel Cav)

- Some Marauder of Chaos army (with northern Indian-shamanic aspect)
posible units: War Chief, Shaman (heros), Marauders, Werewolfs

- Mermaid army (coz there must be something living under the waters) posible units: Coral Merfolks, Leviathan, Medusa, Myrmidions

- at least one new unit for Kislev Contingent coz now nobody use them... posibly something like Bearmen of Urslo
Last edited by Skandalix on Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't regret the things you did... regret the things you didn't do!!

W:10/D:3/L:4
Artein
Highborn

Post by Artein »

I don't agree only with those Marauders because there is already too much of Chaos in Warhammer. We have Mortals, Deamons, Slanesh, Khorne, Tzeenetch, Nurgle, Undivided, Beastmens, Cult of Pleasure...
Denthor
Assassin

Post by Denthor »

I hope its chaos dwarfs i've been waiting for them since i saw that hell cannon and crew. However i think that it will be wood elves as they keep getting pushed back surley they should be released this year (i think it's winter).

I agree they should make a cathay army, but they might do what they did with kislev and make them a contingent . I remember talking to some staff from my local GW and they said they were pretty sure that an army would be released for cathay.

I think that mermaid idea is a bit far feched, but i would love to see an arabian army as you always here about them as pirates attackin ships and invading the lizardmens lands (south lands not lustria). I do think they should release an army that comes from the sea but that would bve hard as most battles in warhammer are fought over land using land armies.

Denthor
The Plague of Nurgle Is Here Resistance Is Futile
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

- Cathay army (coz they have nice fluff and can't be forgotten)
They're just zeentch chaos, must be the fifth or sixth time I've had to post that today.
- Some Marauder of Chaos army (with northern Indian-shamanic aspect)

We have plenty of chaos thank you.
Mermaid army (coz there must be something living under the waters)

Ogres were pushing it, mermaids are just stupid.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Malius
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Malius »

i agree with Lord Artein and Arquinsiel on the chaos thing, there already is far too much chaos. but i like the idea of a cathay army because they seem to have some cool fluff, as would araby. im not too sure about the mermaid idea though :?

(and Arq, where do i find the fluff about cathay being tzeench chaos?)
Archdukechocula wrote:In fact I think the problem is that there should be a better term for jerky WAAC people, such as Win Avoiding Normal Kindness, Especially Respect (A " WANKER " if you will).

now thats funny :P
General kala
Blasphemer and Heretic
Blasphemer and Heretic
Location: Sowing the seeds of evil in the hills of Austin, TX

Re: What new armies can we expect??

Post by General kala »

Skandalix wrote:- Arabian army (nice fluff but it would be difficult to invent some interesting new units) posible units: Sheikh, Vezyr (heros) Riders of Desert, Giant Scorpion, Nomads (Camel Cav)

Anything from Arabian Nights - Djinn, Ifrit, Ruhks, Medmehr, etc. Also a good number of characters and unit ideas.
Because anyone vicious enough to shoot down her own battlecruiser because there might be a traitor at the helm deserves to have a Druchii namesake.
Frost808
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Frost808 »

I may have just pulled this idea out of my butt.... but that would be cool if they made cat people.. Kajjit or wutever from morrowind that would be relly sweet.... though I think there should be more "good guy" amries... though what ones? all there is is humans elves and dwarves?
"No Women, Not Kids"
Underway
Silver Khaine Winner

Post by Underway »

Don't forget Immortals and Eunich bodyguards as per the Persian Empire. Very cool elites there.

Cathay is hardly Tzeench Chaos. There used to be a Cathay army in the old Warhammer (3rd ed.) and they had Nippon mercinaries that could fight for them (Samuri). There is lost of pre-existing Cathay fluff.

Some of the units

-fireworks launchers
-samuri (Nippon mercenaries)
-ninja/assasin (more mercenaries)
-spearmen
-Jade Dogs (monster)
-archers
-stepps cavalry
-etc...

Personally I think the Cathay army would consist of a horde with a few very elite units. The core troops would be like Peasants in skill level.

Chaos Dwarves are always out there (they need to change the name of them though)

The Armies of Ind and the Hobgoblin Empire are also out there somewhere.

And I doubt very much there will be fishpeople of any sort.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

(and Arq, where do i find the fluff about cathay being tzeench chaos?)

Gienivive undead I believe the book is called.

Cathay is hardly Tzeench Chaos. There used to be a Cathay army in the old Warhammer (3rd ed.) and they had Nippon mercinaries that could fight for them (Samuri). There is lost of pre-existing Cathay fluff.

Which has them ruled by a priesthood of Tzeentch from what I've managed to find so far, with the almost negligable exception of the forces of the monkey god. The champions of Tzeentch in Cathay try to advance to the next level of what they call "the pagoda" which is pretty much just a measure of how much Tzeentch likes you.
Last edited by Arquinsiel on Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Xerasi
Highborn

Post by Xerasi »

Yeah, they should deffently relese an Arab army... Would just be so cool, if I could drop playing my elefant as a treeman :P
DoW 2/2.25k W-L-D: 22 - 4 - 3
Artein
Highborn

Post by Artein »

Cathay army would be great. You shold watch film "Hero" with Jet Li and see what means Deathrain...

Army of some water-beings is also quite good idea. In 5th edition DE Army Book there is something about a mysterious race from the Underworld Sea.
Psychologic
Assassin

Post by Psychologic »

But the Arab army would be very close to the LotR Haradrim. And besides, the TK are an almost Arab army, right? Or are they Egyptian?

_SJ
Artein
Highborn

Post by Artein »

TK are Egiptians thats for sure...
Fellblade
Noble
Location: Cell 5, isolation ward. Quarantine measures in effect.

Post by Fellblade »

The Monkey King rules Cathay in much the same way Karl Franz rules the Empire, and the forces of Chaos are just as hated and repressed in Cathay as they are in the Empire. If you read Beasts in Velvet, when Dien' Ching first appears, we learn he has murdered the Monkey King's ambassador and taken his place. He is an acolyte of Tzeench, and loves deceit, deception, and plans within plans. The empire would never welcome the ambassador of state that is avowedly subject to one of the Chaos gods.

A Cathayan army would be interesting, and could be based on the ancient Chinese. Large blocks of spear-armed peasants, state troops of heavy infantry & artillery, the noble elites in chariots, and mercenary mongol fast cavalry... kind of looks like a blend of Brettonians, Empire, and Tomb Kings. I doubt there would be enough opportunity to make a new and unique army.
Competition is the whetsone of talent.
Bloodtemplar
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bloodtemplar »

What we will almost certainly see in some point is an army focused around the demi-god necromancer, Nagash. A book of its own is very unlikely but I would expect it to be a combined army list (like CoS) of VC's and Tomb Kings' units along the lines of those in SoC. In the end Nagash is just too popular to be left out and the current undead lists as they are just don't fit him.
Metal for miniatures - plastic for toys.
Fellblade
Noble

Post by Fellblade »

Actually, I would like to see the return of the Fimir. Any old-timers remember them? There have been passing mentions of cyclopean marsh-dwellers in a couple of recent White Dwarfs, so I am keeping an eye out for two or three years down the line.
Heldrak
Renegade Priest of Vaul

Post by Heldrak »

All of these are vased purely on rumor:

DOW/Tileans (possibly)
Chaos Dwarves (possibly)
Cathay (rumors say probably)
Nippon (as a separate entity possibly)
Ind (possibly- rumors speak of Tiger-headed Beastmen)
Sea Elves (although they existed back in the 3rd edition, highly unlikely. Introverted High Elves then occupied the inner ring of dougnut-shaped Ulthuan and Sea Elves were their more robust cousins inhabiting the outer ring. They were Seafarers, but they were not aquatic).
Arabians (possibly)
Estalians (possibly, more probably as an Empire Army-list variant or allied contingent like Kislev).
Halflings (highly unlikely- more of a joke list really, like the one published back in the old Citadel Journal)
Amazons (highly unlikely)

Consider the difficulty that GW has had refreshing the Wood Elf book (long delays, schedule push-backs, etc.). Now that the Warhammer game system itself is so stable it gets harder to come up with new armies that are unique and play differently than all the other armies. If the Lustria book sells well, I think we're more likely to see more campaign/geogrpahical theme books than army books, since they enhance the game and have some appeal to all players (special rules & modified army lists). The Arabian book/list may well be this way (special rules for desert fighting with variant army lists for several armies).
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

The empire would never welcome the ambassador of state that is avowedly subject to one of the Chaos gods.

Hasn't it gotten Estalians there? Their navy used to fly the flag of Khorne. Now that you mention it though I must try to track that particular novel down and see what I can gather from it.
ImageImageImageImage
Skandalix
Assassin

Post by Skandalix »

I think i'm gonna try to do some trial lists of Arabian and Cathay army so any advices about rules and units are welcomed... I will post it soon in Ideas forum...
Don't regret the things you did... regret the things you didn't do!!

W:10/D:3/L:4
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Go for arabians, I like the idea of an arabian all cav army. Try looking at DOW for inspiration.
ImageImageImageImage
Fellblade
Noble

Post by Fellblade »

Their navy used to fly the flag of Khorne

That ees a veecious rumor, spread by such unsavoree types as Brettonians, who deliberatelee meesinterpreet our proud national seembol of thee upside-down crossgreep peetchfork!
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

- Mermaid army (coz there must be something living under the waters) posible units: Coral Merfolks, Leviathan, Medusa, Myrmidions

Since Mermaids dont have feet, how would they fight any army on the land? And there is no scuba gear so no fighting the mermaids on their home turf. I dont think this one will be happening.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

That ees a veecious rumor, spread by such unsavoree types as Brettonians, who deliberatelee meesinterpreet our proud national seembol of thee upside-down crossgreep peetchfork!

And the arabians and asur, who smashed up that navy good by summoning a keeper of secrets to fight your blood thirster.
ImageImageImageImage
Fellblade
Noble

Post by Fellblade »

Si, untrustworthee hereetic peegs, alla them!
And that was a rogue admeeral acteeng weethout orders, and he was not even really from Le Estalia, aneeway.
Dictator
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dictator »

Actually, I would like to see the return of the Fimir. Any old-timers remember them? There have been passing mentions of cyclopean marsh-dwellers in a couple of recent White Dwarfs, so I am keeping an eye out for two or three years down the line.

I know you didn't mean for the pun but i caught it :lol: now as far as these go don't you think they would fit in with the OK army??? or more like a fen beast type unit? I ain't an old timer but to me just readin' what you read it would only make sense with what I said before.
If the Lustria book sells well, I think we're more likely to see more campaign/geogrpahical theme books than army books, since they enhance the game and have some appeal to all players (special rules & modified army lists). The Arabian book/list may well be this way (special rules for desert fighting with variant army lists for several armies).

This is IMHO what GW needs. Not books where you know the ending ;) hint hint, but books that expand armies to meet an ever growing want to know more about your own armies. ;) Like you said as well that playing in different geographic locations would be nice just not on some flat plain battle fields.
"The Cowards never came, the Weak died along the way, the Brave arrived, the Tough remained." -unknown American pioneer
VC painting log
My blog
My Lizardmen