Steam tanks?

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Puppet of kaine
Corsair

Steam tanks?

Post by Puppet of kaine »

Last night I thought about a artillery based empire army with a steam tank. Would it work and does anybody have any experience with a steam tank? :?
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

I've destroyed many if that's what you mean. ;) Just a caution though - artillery based armies are rather cool and have a good solid theme, but be careful not to maximize solely on the shooting and the like as it will be much less fun to play with and against.

As to the steam tank, my experience has been generally that the more you equip it, the less well it does. That, and it gets fairly expensive. My thought, though I have never used an empire army myself, is that one that is completely not equiped is the best. Makes it just a solid rock that's pretty cheap and can do very well to intimidate, provoke, and hold up key units and positions. Its one of those pieces that you can put on the table and people go "damn." ;)
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

If you take a STank, go easy on artillery and other shooting and vice versa. Empire gunlines are one of the classic no-fun matchups that people really don't like playing against, so if you end up taking one, you may well find yourself without very many opponents who are willing to play you in one-off games. Both artillery and the STank are powerful units for sure, but don't overdo it on them because once the army becomes a 1-trick pony, it will win a lot until people figure out how to beat it and then it will win rarely, if ever.
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

«The wonder has a name: pmpn8ez.»
Jhaelrnya
Highborn

Post by Jhaelrnya »

My experiance with the STank is this: it goes down fast if your opponent knows how to deal with it. The upside is, they left the rest of your army alone while they concentrated on the cursed thing.
I agree with Vorchild about the Bare Bones STank being the best. It won't lose Hull Points to misfires, it can use everything for moving, and essentially becomes a very, very good chariot to back up empire foot troops.
My personal favourite though has to be the one equiped with a Hellblaster. it won't blow up (although it will suck out the Hull Points if you are not careful), and can fire the most dreaded weapon in the warhammer world while in combat.. That's short range from a Hellblaster encased in inches of metal. The psychological factor alone makes it worth its points.
Rork wrote:Because you are bound to turn up to battle dressed as a Christmas tree. I don't like people who condone the trade in Fir.

I'm back! But so very tired...
Mirz do ordas
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mirz do ordas »

The complete empty ST is the best deal you can make.

it is a super chariot, with 29 HP, you can make the full 5 SP without risk, tie up units no problem since you can get almost any charge (and most units will not do a thing to it when not charging).
When my opponent agrees on a rule, I must have been wrong