HE swordmaster honour

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Halbarad
Executioner

HE swordmaster honour

Post by Halbarad »

I am planning a HE army for a tourney my gaming group are running and though it has been suggested we build armies that are designed to win (as you would expect in a yourney) i have decided to take a slightly different route and build a balanced HE army with mostly infantry including the following units:
10 archers
20 spearelves
7 silverhelms (led by a BSB with battle banner)
5 reavers
1 chariot
1 bolt thrower
a randomly determined elite unit if i can fit it in the points

the character choices i am taking are a prince, 1 lvl 2 mage and a BSB with battle banner mounted on steed.

my main question, other than what people think the list might play like since most of my opponenets are playing horde like lists (which discouraged me from my original all cavalry list), is do HE characters get a free GW with the swordmaster honour as the wording suggests it does or do you have to pay the extra 4/6pts as i have seen in most of the lists that include this ability.

thanks.
I live on the edge. Between Life and Death, Light and Dark, Insanity and Genius. I protect you all from what you truly are and what I know you to be.
Dragon_prince
Executioner

Post by Dragon_prince »

you get a free GW, and you better take another mage and a commander instead of the prince

1 chariots won't do mucht take 2 some for RPB,
take 9 SH 10 is a better number, more attacks and msot of the time one from the rear rankw ill end up dead ;)
The stength goes through your skills, not your weapon.
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

halbarad wrote:my main question, other than what people think the list might play like since most of my opponenets are playing horde like lists (which discouraged me from my original all cavalry list)
What? 5 Silver Helms can easily defeat 60 Goblins: just remember to flank them which isn't the toughest thing to do with that movement of 18" *bitter muttering about unfairness against the bad guys* That way you take away his ranks and with your kills you easily win the combat and run his gobbos down with 3D6" pursuit against 2D6" of the gobbos :) And most importantly, it gives you pretty great satisfaction when you defeat some 200 enemy models wwith only 40 of your own :evil: Give the cavalry a try (or two). At least in proxy level.
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Dragon_prince
Executioner

Post by Dragon_prince »

@Zakath, goblins have fanatics at elast night gobbo's skaven have tgere ratling guns, and there are many so there is a unit next to the flanks ;)
The stength goes through your skills, not your weapon.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Zakath the Slaughterer wrote:What? 5 Silver Helms can easily defeat 60 Goblins: just remember to flank them which isn't the toughest thing to do with that movement of 18"

You ever tried getting around the flanks of a proper horde army? :shock:

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

If all you're taking is a single mage without bound spell or extranneous magical support, you might as well just downgrade him to level 1 and make him a caddy. Also, why only 1 RBT and 1 chariot? You can take 2, so you might as well especially since only 1 of anything really won't do so much. Your randomly determined elite unit should probably be swordmasters; they're quite the combat fanatics and can usually hold their own against numerically superior enemies.
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

«The wonder has a name: pmpn8ez.»
Sulam
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulam »

Put the BSB not on a steed, but rather place him in a chariot. A charging spearelf unit that is supported bya chariot with +D6 CR is more than even saurus can get!

Putting him in a silver helm unit isn't good IMO, since they can win combat without it. In case of chariots you'll depend on impact hits.

Add a reapeater and chariot as extra support. Take a lvl 2 mage with the channeler honour and perhaps the jewel of the dusk (I mean that one tha gives +1 PD) and take second sign of amul, which will be useful when you have to roll impact hits and the +D6 CR.

-Sulam
|/^^^^^^^^^^^^^\ |______
|The Pimpmobile runs | |||'""|'"\___,
|over Bunny and Birdyl l||__|__|__|)
|(@)(@)"""""""""""""(@) (@)--------(@)

Army pics: www.bretonnia.i8.com/1darkelves.html
Halbarad
Executioner

Post by Halbarad »

thanks for all the advice, i had been considering changing some things, my first idea was to take another bolt thrower and a second mage and perhaps swordmasters. i will probably try taking the cavalry army at some point in the future as i plan to expand the army to a reasonable size, though nothing on my 9k of DE, and will have a mix of units in it. i will try out a few possibilities as i have until the end of the summer to perfect the list.

my main concern with the cavalry is that not only were they few in number but if i got bogged down in combat i was almost guarenteed to lose the game as even a 2+ save will fail with enough attacks.

thanks for the advice and i will see what i can do with the list.
I live on the edge. Between Life and Death, Light and Dark, Insanity and Genius. I protect you all from what you truly are and what I know you to be.