The Sacred Sentinels v.1.7

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

General Aeliaria - The Forest Mistress
Asrai Highborn, Wardancer Kindred, Swords of Loec, Amaranthine Brooch, An Annoyance of Netlings
290 Points

Loremaster Luna - The Celestial One
Asrai Spellsinger, Magic Level 1, Dispel Scroll, Dispel Scroll
140 Points

Gladeghost Sodiath - The Bringer of Torment
Branchwraith, Magic Level 1, A Cluster of Radiants, A Pageant of Shrikes
165 Points

Infiltrator Ithailos - The Pantherclaw
Asrai Noble, Way Watcher Kindred, Hail of Doom Arrow
140 Points

The Cobra's Spit
11 Asrai Glade Guards, Musician
138 Points

The Python's Sting
10 Asrai Glade Guards
120 Points

The Riders of the Rivers
5 Asrai Glade Riders, Musician
129 Points

The Striders of the Stream
129 Points

The Cedar Celerity
12 Dryads
144 Points

The Pinetree Paws
11 Dryads
132 Points

The Soar from the Skies
3 Asrai Warhawk Riders
120 Points

The Hunter's Talons
9 Asrai Wardancers, Champion, Musician
183 Points

The Death Shadows
5 Asrai Way Watchers
120 Points

Magothri
Great Eagle
50 Points

TOTAL: 2ooo Points

Nagathi
The Sacred Sentinel
Last edited by Nagathi on Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Wotsquat
Warrior

Post by Wotsquat »

My first question would be how are you going to win games?

Your shooting is quite good, but not brilliant.

Your magic is pretty poor.

Your H-T-H is elite skirmishers. You rely upon the DR's to get rid of ranks.

Your army is maneouverable, but three of your units cannot flee.

You lack any real punch in the army (even the noble is not that great; he is really reliant upon KB), and without magic or shooting to back that up to sufficiently whittle down the enemy I think you could struggle. I think you can do ok against small elite armies, but larger armies will roll over you. And armour saves are a bit of a problem for you.

It's a nice enough list, but you need a killer blow from something, and other than the HoD I don't see where that can come from in this force.

Richard
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

My 30 or so shots will wither the enemy down, and the theme in this army is a skirmishing Amazon type army (I'll make it almost all-female). I rely much on my units to break the enemy in the first turn of combat, but with good charges I'll often come out on top. Using the terrain to my advantage, I'll circle the enemy and strike where he is vulnerable. It has worked so far (4 massacres, 2 Solid Victories, 1 draw and no losses).
My punch comes from my Wardancers, my Glade Riders (strength 4 on the charge) and my Dryads. The Noble was there for the HoDA, and I put him among the Way Watchers for fluff. I've been considering him as a regular scout to save points, but it felt as that would get me nowhere anyway.

What would be your suggestions for improvement?

Nagathi
The Sacred Sentinel
Wotsquat
Warrior

Post by Wotsquat »

I'm shocked that you are breaking things on contact, because in general your armies charge reach is not great, so I'd have thought your first priority was not getting charged vs. mounted armies!

The main thing I think your list needs is some form of anchor. The treeman is the obvious thing in the list to do this. Or replace one of the Glade Riders with Wild Riders; the additional punch and survivability of them is something I think the list needs.

I'd also upgrade the level one to a level two; it's not many points and gives you that little bit more chance of sneaking a spell through. Otherwise pretty much the magic points are spent on defence, which is a lot of points for that!

Cheers

Richard
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Against mounted armies, I'll use the terrain to my advantage. I can move around pretty unhindered, which he won't (eagle and warhawks take care of that - blocking marches). I'll move around and freely over most difficult terrain (being skirmish) and he'll be unable to march as well as shot at. Once he charges me (if it comes to that) his powerful units ain't that powerful anymore.

The theme for this army is Amazon, and I do not like any kind of anchor. My anchor often gets charged, by myriads of enemy units at once. Our elves are too poorly armoured to hold against such a charge. If anything, I'll let my Dryads take any hard charges (and the fear is only helpful). That's why they're pretty big in numbers compared to most other Asrai armies out there. I use them as sacrificial meat :twisted: Higher toughness, a ward, and causeing fear. They're cheap and perfect for me as a screen and anchor if any.

5 power dice is no major differance from 4 in a 2k game. The 35 points required are as good as wasted. However, Magic is what hurts an army like this the most. Combat I can handle, shooting too (hard to hit etc), but magic will really hurt (bye bye FS Ward as an example). That's why my magic defence is pretty high. The BranchWraith has more tasks than to dispel (hence the open spot in one of my Dryad units). His/Her 3 attacks will help me, and the shrieks is there to kill of enemy mages (most often unarmoured). I don't think I'm wasting points. The Caddy is a regular one, it might be the Branchwraith that's a tad useless against some armies. However, here in Sweden most players tnd to lean more against heavy magic armies (just ask the Empire player who had 3 wizards, 3 cannons, one hellblaster and 3 gunmen squads as his 1k army). My main opponent uses a heavy magic O&G army (well, 8 power dice + mushrooms at least). I've felt the magic defence to be just about enough. I'd like one more scroll though :)

Nagathi
The Sacred Sentinel
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

I've been sitting here trying to work out where all your points have gone. Most WE armies I've seen have a similar number of units as you but seem to be able to find the points for a hard-hitterlike a treeman, treekin or some wildriders as well. The highborn setup I don't understand. Why pay 300pts for a combat character who's unarmoured and not even fast like an alter or wildrider one would be? For those points you could get a treeman, or 2 more units of wardancers or wildriders. They are likely to do a lot more damage than that highborn and are much more flexible.

You are going to have trouble with cavalry armies. Yes you can run around them up to a point but you can't hide the whole army in the trees. They will catch something. Especially those glade guard. They will be extremely easy targets and you will be unlikely to have an effective countercharge plan. You will also only get 1 round of Str4 shooting at them before they hit you- hardly enogh to destroy 1+ or 2+ save cav; and that's if there is only one unit. I think you are seriously overestimating this army's ability to soften up cavalry. S3 shooting will have no real effect whatsoever, and the s4stuff will be very limited. Waywatchers are nice, but 5 of them won't kill nearly enough to make a real difference.

I also think your magic defense is acutually fairly weak for a WE list. with small, T3, unarmoured units you can't afford to let any MMs off in the early magic phases. 4 dice and 2 scrollsis the bear minimum really for WEs. most lists I've seen have either more dice (lv4 usually) or at least 3 scrolls. I really wouldn't call the this army heavy on magic defense.
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)
Beastmaster kurlan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Beastmaster kurlan »

i think the army is pretty poor fr several reasons

1 your magic defense is a bit poor
2 your shooting is minimal and will have trouble hurting cav
3 mages are not safe in a unit of 10 t3 archers
4 you can run around the enemy but as said you cant hide all of it.
5 you have no hard hitters
i cant seem to make friends! add me to msn you losers!

Kurlan the violent (trainee of khaine)

WS: 3
S:5
T:4
D:5
I:2

two short swords, dagger, 4 throwing knives, 500 gold coins, unarmed combat skill

Group 17 Mod
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

beastmaster kurlan wrote:i think the army is pretty poor fr several reasons

1 your magic defense is a bit poor
Agreed
2 your shooting is minimal and will have trouble hurting cav
Agreed
3 mages are not safe in a unit of 10 t3 archers
Agreed
4 you can run around the enemy but as said you cant hide all of it.
Agreed
5 you have no hard hitters
Agreed

So as you can see, Im mostly agreeing with Kurlan here ;)

I just dont see where all your points have gone. Most WE armies in my store are similar to this, but tend to include more magic (a Spell Weaver is surely a must?) and the near obligitory Treeman.

I dont like the character set up at all. The Highborn just seems like a waste of points to me - for the reasons Ant stated. The Noble is next to worthless. Just give HoD to a more usefull character - probably Alter.

What armies have you played and of what callibre where your opponents?

Sorry if i seem a bit harsh here :)

Your names are really cool btw!
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

5 Dispel Dice and 2 scrolls is considered poor? What has happened to th D.net community? Most 2k low-magic Druchii armies have 4 dispel dice and 2 scrolls, and that's considered normal and doable. Why's this worse? I've even got magic resistance on my most valuable unit.

If you've seen my 2k Druahii army, you'll see that I strongly dislike magics (even though it's fluffy in a Khaine list).

My Highborn can take a unit of 20 T3 5+ save dudes if he charge, when he's alone (ok, he'll lose the first round with 1 on an average, but I'll work them down). I think she's good enough. She's served me VERY well so far. Against troopers, she'll attack before them and thus won't be attacked back. Against characters, I'll challenge. I won't need mucyh more protection than that. 3+ ward and hit on 6's in challenges is enough by my standards. Besides, we're talking elves here. Not chaos. 3+ ward is as good as I think elves should have.

I don't intend to have my mage in the unit of 11 archers forever. It is more of a hiding place to avoid spells like the foot of gork/mork. If someone sets up a charge at me, I'll move out and move the archers to a better position (so that any overrun won't bring the enemy into my sorcress).

I have no hard hitters? What army list are you looking at? I have Dryads, Glade Riders, Wardancers and Warhaks. They all have strength 4 or more on the charge. Even my Eagle has it. How many strength 4 attacks does the average elven army have? Not over 100 like I do (and I've not counted the archers or the HoDA then) methinks... I want this army to be played like the elves are supposed to be played. Not straight forward chaotic style with Treekin and Treemen.

The noble is all I could agree on. I've been trying to find him a good spot in the army, but as an Alter kindred, he'll be unfluffy and just not good enough.

Nagathi
The Sacred Sentinel
Beastmaster kurlan
Malekith's Best Friend

xizor: glad to hear it.
nag: in my area and in tournies many people like to bring 12 plus powerdice which cannot be stopped by 5 dd. eve none magic misslile will probably either destroy the unit of make it next to useless

two short swords, dagger, 4 throwing knives, 500 gold coins, unarmed combat skill

Group 17 Mod
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Xizor wrote:What armies have you played and of what callibre where your opponents?
I've faced Skaven and O&G and Lizzies so far. They're good players, and they win over me 40%, but not when I'm using this list...

Sorry if i seem a bit harsh here :)
All repolies are welcome

Your names are really cool btw!
Thank you!

in my area and in tournies many people like to bring 12 plus powerdice which cannot be stopped by 5 dd. eve none magic misslile will probably either destroy the unit of make it next to useless
So you want me to pull out 12 dispel dice and 20+ scrolls? 5 Dispel dice is as good you can get unless you go magic heavy, which I won't do. Ever in my life.

Nagathi
The Sacred Sentinel
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

5 Dispel Dice and 2 scrolls is considered poor? What has happened to th D.net community? Most 2k low-magic Druchii armies have 4 dispel dice and 2 scrolls, and that's considered normal and doable. Why's this worse? I've even got magic resistance on my most valuable unit.

This is worse because it is a woodelf army, not a druchii one. As I said in my previous post, WEs are more vunerable to MM than most armies because they consist (just about entirely in your case) of small, expensive, unarmoured, low toughness troops. A single d6s4 spell will decimate such a unit so you really can't afford to let them off. With Druchii and most other armies one or 2 low level spells won't hurt you too much, but with the woodies just about every spell you let off means the loss of at least 1/2 a unit.
I forgot the spite on the branchwraith, so you have slightly more defense than I thought. Still isn't heavy on magic defense though like you said at first.

On hard hitters. Do you really class glade riders and warhawks as hard hitters? Would you class DRs and harpies as hard hitters in a Druchii list? Thought not. Sure you have quite a few S4 attacks (if you charge in most cases; and not all those dryads will get into CC at once). But how many S5+ attacks do you have? How do you expect to kill chariots for example? Or 1+ armour save knights?

Wardancers are cool on the charge but are still T3 and have no static CR. And if they get charged or don't break the enemy in the first round go down to S3 and start having problems. Dryads again are great but aren't real hard hitters. They aren't fast enough, don't have any static CR and won't cause enough wounds to win against the enemy's harder hammer and anvil units. They and the dancers are the closest you have to it though.

I stand by my comments on the highborn. 300pts really doesn't reflect his limited role and his vunrability before he gets into CC. and what's he gonna do vs magic (spells and weapons), most armies have a couple of those poking around? Die I think. He can't take on characters in challenges since S4 isn't enough to get through the save and most of the time he'll lose due to outnumber (that's assuming the enemy doesn't roll any 6s to hit...). He also can't take out knights due to theier save and CR bonuses and I wouldn't dream of throwing him into a ranked infantry unit. He'd need 6 wounds to win and he only has 6 attacks. You must have got very lucky indeed. Even if he stays in the 1st round and eventually whittles the unit down he still wouldn't have paid his points back. The only role he would have that is reliable is taking out light units which, ironically is moreor less the only thing the rest of the army won't have problems doing either.

Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

My highbonr is a she :D
Vulnerable? From what, I ask? Shooting? LoL. Magic? LoL even more. Combat? Wouldn't think so. If I charge, I have strength 5 on him, and may re-roll failed rolls to wound. I can get through some armour if needed. If the enemy has a magic weapon, I'll let my champ accept in the first round. Still, if the enemy character has 4 attacks, he'll hit 0.66 of those, and probably wound a total of 0.55, and thus 0.46 will get through the 6+ ward. That's below half a wound. I don't feel very threatened.

In average, I did 4.something wounds in my calculations, and thus the opponent won by one (musician). next turn, I'll have less strength, but he has one less rank. On it goes. A unit like that is abour 200 points, plus 100 for the banner. Isn't that 300 points? And I'm still alive. I've gotten 300 points, and haven't lost anything. Doesn't that make her paying back her points?

I don't see how you compare harpies (S3) with Warhawks (S4, hit & run, fast cav, Ld8).

Nagathi
The Sacred Sentinel
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

Well then, She's more vunerable than you'd think. in the wardancers she's farly safebut shooting can take them down from around her. On her own Fast cav, scouts and chariots with shooting become a worry to her, as does magic. MR1 isn't all that much to rely on really. Yes it will protect you up to a point, but 1 life spell getting through would spell the end for this character.
Yes you may kill that unit eventually. But if you fluff one set of attacks or 1 break test they'll have you-a 400pt bonus for the enemy. I see this combat as being pretty 50:50 so wouldn't want to commit such a valuable model to it alone. And it keeps her tied down for more or less the whole game. Spears could be annoying too.
My point on challenges wasn't that you'd die to the character but you are unlikely to kill him and thus lose the combat due to outnumber (banner etc too if in a unit). And how will you know if the enemy character has a magic weapon or not in the challenge? Any character with a 2+ or better save will cause you problems, as will chariots (big time).

Having said all that however I do feel you have a valid point. The highborn doesn't seem quite as useless as I originally thought. Combined with killing blow dance she could make a good character killer. She'll still have trouble with knights though, as will the rest of your army. Anything fast (nike oldblood, mounted characters, deamons, even fast cav since they'll be hitting on 4s) will be a real threat to her though since the charge is extremely important in her effectiveness.

If you think about it harpies are very similar to warhawks. 2 can fit the same base as a hawk so I'll get 4 attacks rather than 2, for their role I think this is as good if not better, multi attacks is great for warmachine/mage hunting. Taking 2 harpies=1 hawk harpies are still cheaper, have the same T, the same number of wounds and the same US. The only real loss with the harpies is the Ld and hit and run rule, justifying their cheaper points cost. Both units are designed to be light flyers to annoy the enemy as well as mage/machine hunters. They are both similar units with similar roles. Neither were either meant to be or ever work as, hard hitters. I am frankly amazed you think warhawks can be used in that capacity. If you want a different unit to compare the hawks to how about terradons? They are without a doubtbetter than the warhawks in just about every way, but you never see them being used as hard hitters.

By far the biggest problem this army has is that it has nothing to effectively deal with cav and T5 monsters/chariots. I really don't see how it can be done with this list. Please enlighten me :D .

Falahk
Night Goblin

Post by Falahk »

nag, I can see this army doing well against any army that dont have 3+ units of heavy cav or some bull rinoxes or skaven SAD

1. I fully agree with ant when it comes to the highborne, she is simply far to expensive for the move she has and is just a big point sink if she get herself killed by overruning enemies or magic bolts(I do however think she has the save she needs to survive in close combat), id get a pair of wildrider units insted of her anyday

2 I would bost the waywatcher unit up a by 2 models and drop 4 dryads to affor them. why is this you may ask, its becouse a unit of five WW's are far to vurnable to magic and even shooting, it wont be hard to get them below half sternght and score points for them when you have only 5ive, with 2 more WW's you also get an extra pair of kb shoot's, something that cant be bad !lol!

the dryads on the other hand dont need to be in larger units then 8 IMO as ther large bases prevents more then about 6 to get into combat against a ranked unit anyway, so losing a pair of models from eatch units dont seams to bad to me

3 if you add wildriders insted of your hb you dont realy need all of your fast light units so id probebly drop a unit of glade riders or the warhawks to get an altar/wardancer noble to add more hitting power

you alredy have all magic defence you need(ant you have to remembre that fast cav and the warhaks are also a form of magic defence in a way, you should also take into consideration the speed of the army when you calculate how mutch magic defence you need)
as a side note, its rare to see more then 8pd on swedish tournaments as composition restrictions normaly make it hard to take more magic

edit: here is my suggested list, the bigest chage I have made is the addition of 2x5 willd riders apart from that its pretymutch the same list as you posted, altho I think this one have more redundancy and hitting power.

however i do belive that you can come up with cooler names for the wildrider units than I did in a few seconds

Asrai Noble, Wardancer Kindred, Swords of Loec
140 Points

145 Points

165 Points

Infiltrator Ithailos - The Pantherclaw
Asrai Noble, additional hand weapon, Waywatcher Kindred, Hail of Doom Arrow
139 Points

The Cobra's Spit
138 Points

The Python's Sting
10 Asrai Glade Guards
120 Points

The Riders of the Rivers
129 Points

The Cedar Celerity
10 Dryads
120 Points

The Pinetree Paws
10 Dryads
120 Points

The Soar from the Skies
3 Asrai Warhawk Riders
120 Points

The Hunter's Talons
183 Points

Guardians of The Kings Glade
5 Asrai Wildriders, musician
130 Points

Orions Fury
5 Asrai Wildriders, musician
130 Points

The Death Shadows
7 Asrai Way Watchers
168 Points

Magothri
Great Eagle
50 Points

total army cost: 1997

4pd
5dd and 2 scrolls
SWFBR- Swedish Warhammer Tournament Calendar, Ranking and Forum
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Ant: Ok, Warhawks was maybe a overstatement, but they can still pack a little punch. Against 2+ kniggits, they'll remove one point of armour, and with the hit & run, they can continue to be annoying.

My highborn might be expensive, but I lik her. She suits me perfectly. My enemies don't like to shoot at my skirmishers (they prefer the easier and more expensive Riding Scouts or Warhawks to shoot at). As long as I have the champ left in my Wardancer unit, I'll win against a ranked unit if I get the charge. I'll have to watch out for magic, but I've got good magic defence (both static and AMD). I'll use terrain as much as possible, it is mainly the spells without LoS requirements that I need to be careful with, but my two scrolls will help me the first turns I hope. Then I'll be in deep combat if things go well (being able to "move at the double" even within 8" of the enemy is nice ;))

I've done a new list, removing my Watwatcher noble and included an Alter Noble instead. The Waywatcher noble had his HoDA, and then he could only help in close combat. Pretty useless for a scouting unit. The Alter noble also has the HoDA, but the Helm of the Hunt and Great Weapon too. he packs 5 Strength 6 attacks at WS 7 when he charges. If that's not hard-hitting, I don't know what is (yeah, he is slightly better than a dragon :)) His 5+ armour is troubling though... I'll have to live with that. I've also updated the points costs (as these were not like the ones in my list, and the ones here were wrong).

Falahk: I dislike Wild Riders for fluff reasons. My army is a sentinel army, idle until enemy approaches. Wild Riders is not fluffily correct for me. I know they're good, but I don't really like their fluf in an army like this.

The Sacred Sentinels v.1.8

Asrai Highborn, Wardancer Kindred, Swords of Loec, Amaranthine Brooch, An Annoyance of Netlings
290 Points

140 Points

165 Points

Wildkin Lithaialos - The Pantherclaw
Asrai Noble, Alter Kindred, Light Armour, Great Weapon, Hail of Doom Arrow, Helm of the Hunt
156 Points

The Cobra's Spit
138 Points

The Python's Sting
10 Asrai Glade Guards
120 Points

The Riders of the Rivers
129 Points

The Striders of the Stream
129 Points

The Cedar Celerity
11 Dryads
132 Points

The Pinetree Paws
10 Dryads
120 Points

The Soar from the Skies
3 Asrai Warhawk Riders
120 Points

The Hunter's Talons
183 Points

The Death Shadows
5 Asrai Way Watchers, Shadow Sentinel
128 Points

Magothri
Great Eagle
50 Points

TOTAL: 2ooo Points

Nagathi
The Sacred Sentinel
Beastmaster kurlan
Malekith's Best Friend

no nag i dont expect you to bring 20 plus scrolls. its just, like ant said druchii and dark elves are a totally different matter when it comes to vulnerability. i dont see your lone highborn getting to a full ranked unit, never mind beating it. the alter noble was a good change in my opinion. and i find small units of dryads arent too good for several reasons.

1 they have too take panic tests sooner
2 seeing as they cant have ranks they are relying on kills for combat res
3 if you have fear use it! you only autobreak when you outnumber. and fear is what make dryads worth taking imo.

Group 17 Mod
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

1. Dryads are immune to psychology...
2 & 3. That's why I'm keeping my two units 10 models or bigger.

Nagathi
The Sacred Sentinel
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey,

I must admit you are defending your army pretty well here man. You seem to know what you want from your army, aswell as its strengths...and its weaknesses.

I do like the new Noble set-up, in the many Asrai lists I've penned, I always go for that exact set-up - its just tasty!

Anyway, carry on enjoying the list - it doesnt seem like magic is gonna bother you too much within your current gaming environment.
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

I face a magic heavy O&G player as my reghular opponent, so I know I can handle magic pretty well (that foot of Gork is easilly dispelled with scroll ;)). I've been playing this list (not with the Alter Noble, though) for a while and I know how it operates. I know I haven't faced many different armies yet, but I will have to try and get a game against my friends Asur (some cavalry there) and the Skaven player's new Empire. When I do, I'll post any thoughts in here.

Keep on commenting! Even if I'm stubborn, you can always persuade me if the arguments are good enough. Just see my noble swap :)

Nagathi
The Sacred Sentinel
Beastmaster kurlan
Malekith's Best Friend

ok nag i didnt know they were immune, and by big i meant 15 ish. if you are sure you can handle magic well than thats cool.

Group 17 Mod
Falahk
Night Goblin

Post by Falahk »

beastmaster kurlan wrote:no nag i dont expect you to bring 20 plus scrolls. its just, like ant said druchii and dark elves are a totally different matter when it comes to vulnerability. i dont see your lone highborn getting to a full ranked unit, never mind beating it. the alter noble was a good change in my opinion. and i find small units of dryads arent too good for several reasons.

1 they have too take panic tests sooner
2 seeing as they cant have ranks they are relying on kills for combat res
3 if you have fear use it! you only autobreak when you outnumber. and fear is what make dryads worth taking imo.

1. as nag said they are immune ;)
2. they cant get ranks so why waste hitting power that will just spend ther time in the back rank when the unit are fighting? and as they need to get kills i would try to get as many models into combat as possible then it would be better with 3 smal units insted of 2 larger, to maximise hitting power and to get as many models as possible into combat to get more cr from kills
3 probebly the only reason to take a larger unit, but still they cant autobrake biger infantery units and they can take care of smaler support units without the need of autobrake anyway
SWFBR- Swedish Warhammer Tournament Calendar, Ranking and Forum
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

If I have 12 models in one Dryad unit, and I charge a unit of 16 warriors of some sort. If I kill 5-6 of them (lots of attacks and some slightly above average rolling), I'll be winning the combat and outnumbering him. Thus autobreaking. If I had a unit of 8, I would be screwed. Besides, my Dryads are the prime target for the enemy magic missiles. If I lose three of eight, that unit is worthless (very close to, at least). But if I lose three of twelve, I will still pack a major punch.

Nagathi
The Sacred Sentinel
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

You've just about convinced me on this list now Nagathi. I still don't like the highborn but can see now how you use her with the list, and realise i'm not gonna convince you otherwise. (I still wouldn't throw her into infantry alone though). Your magic defense, although by no means heavy for WE, seems enough for the opponents you are likely to face (I changed my mind on it being low when I realised you had 5 dd not 4). And the addition of the alter noble (for effectively no loss) helps you against armoured opponents.

I think the list will still struggle against heavily armoured armies as well as heavy magic armies but I can see you have put a lot of thought into it. While in my eyes it is still far from perfect and wouldn't suit me, I think it should be able to hold its own most of the time with you commanding it.

The main thing I would change now (accepting you don't want any treekin, treemen or wildriders for fluff reasons) would be that waywatcher unit. 5 isn't going to be that effective for killing things, and if they are there for annoyance value you may as well have scouts. I'd first consider upping the unit to 7 by dropping a few dryads or something. I have seen 7 to be a very useful number for waywatchers for some reason, they have much more psycological effect on the opponent, can dish out a bit more damage (you can expect to average just over 1 KB a turn) and most importantly, they can take a small amount of shooting damage, or low S magic missile, and still be a hinderance to the opponent.
Alternitvely, If you can't find the points to boost the unit, Id consider dropping them entirely and spending the points elsewhere. Perhaps some scouts and boosting the glade riders to 6s, or giving them more command (getting a standard into the list could be nice). Or more dryads. Or a 3rd GG unit to make the shooting phase a real threat. Even some eternal guard for a bit of static CR. I realise that many of these options change the way the army would play fairly dramatically- I'm just throwing ideas around here (I prefer boosting the unit up myself). IMO however these options would do more for you than 5 waywatchers would.

P.S on the dryad debate, both opinions have their merits. I'd personally use smaller units but the way Nag described how he'd use them, and considering the composition of the whole army, the autobreaking factor can be useful. The reason I'd go for smaller units would be because there are so many immune to psycology units about at the moment, autobreaking tends to feature less and less.

Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Ant wrote:You've just about convinced me on this list now Nagathi. I still don't like the highborn but can see now how you use her with the list, and realise i'm not gonna convince you otherwise. (I still wouldn't throw her into infantry alone though). Your magic defense, although by no means heavy for WE, seems enough for the opponents you are likely to face (I changed my mind on it being low when I realised you had 5 dd not 4). And the addition of the alter noble (for effectively no loss) helps you against armoured opponents.

I don't think I've convinced you of anything. I've rather argumented until you've given up trying :) The Alter Noble was a good chnage methinks, and I'm mighty happy for those who managed to convice my stubborn head to get him. 4 dispel dice and 2 scrolls is indeed to little in an army of wood elves, but the 5th dice makes it all endurable IMO. If I had a way to add one more scroll, I would.

I think the list will still struggle against heavily armoured armies as well as heavy magic armies but I can see you have put a lot of thought into it. While in my eyes it is still far from perfect and wouldn't suit me, I think it should be able to hold its own most of the time with you commanding it.
:oops: I'm flattered :oops:
I actually didn't think that much when creating it, but after a few tweaks (we're up in v.1.8 now remember) it felt like the army I wanted. I threw in the units I liked, drew up a cloudy idea of fluff (first chapter of it can be found here if you're interested) and calculated some points.
I guess we all can't play the same armies :)

The main thing I would change now (accepting you don't want any treekin, treemen or wildriders for fluff reasons) would be that waywatcher unit. 5 isn't going to be that effective for killing things, and if they are there for annoyance value you may as well have scouts. I'd first consider upping the unit to 7 by dropping a few dryads or something. I have seen 7 to be a very useful number for waywatchers for some reason, they have much more psycological effect on the opponent, can dish out a bit more damage (you can expect to average just over 1 KB a turn) and most importantly, they can take a small amount of shooting damage, or low S magic missile, and still be a hinderance to the opponent.

I'd have to confess, the Way Watchers are there for the looks. I like their rules, and they win over regular scouts any day. I don't like regular scouts due to their cost, but I have been thinking of dropping the Way Watchers for regular scouts and a second eagle. However, this army is a sentinel army, and thus I kinda feel forced to keep the Way Watchers. I'm almost thinking of ways to get more scouts... But finding 80 free points from this list without fropping much is hard. I'll have to think about it though. Some more shooting ouldn't hurt.

P.S on the dryad debate, both opinions have their merits. I'd personally use smaller units but the way Nag described how he'd use them, and considering the composition of the whole army, the autobreaking factor can be useful. The reason I'd go for smaller units would be because there are so many immune to psycology units about at the moment, autobreaking tends to feature less and less.
They are my anvils too. They are the ones to "sacrifice" and take a charge if I have to. They have the power to perhaps stand firm. AT least better than any other unit I have. If a chariot threatens my Wardancers somehow (if I for some unknown reason get spotted outside a forest), the Dryads step in to take the charge. Fear and the toughness and ward will help me a lot. The size is useful for me.

Nagathi
The Sacred Sentinel