Army of Cathay?

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Army of Cathay?

Post by Kefka »

So Back when I started warhammer I started with Ogres, and there was a lot of backstory to Cathay. I know there isn't an army book for them, but Have any of you seen or done some sort of Cathay themed army?
I've had a plan for the last few months *cough*years*cough* to make one myself but I'm horrible at greenstuff and converstions...

Rork edit: Ease up on the ?!?!?! - you don't need so many.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Harabec
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Harabec »

I haver seen a great number of self made Cathy army lists on the net. Some are decent and some are very poor. Actually modelling is hard to do obviously without much fluff to work off, but I have seem some nice Ogre conversions done before.

If you check the showcase at Ogre Stronghold you might find some nice ideas. Ogres seem to work well, having naturally come from the Eastern part of the world, have a small army in terms of model count, and having a large surface area to work your conversion on.
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

Ya, but I'm done with ogres, There great and all, but I wouldn't want a second army of them (unless it was a gnoblar hored!!!)
I've seen some converted *shudder* HE cathay models. I'm just wondering what army book would fit Cathay best? obviously with names changed.
eg. Hellvolly cannon = albatross, knights panther= Red Hair Riders, mages = astromancer
They even have an emperor: Xen Huong (a little ogre study there)

Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Harabec
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Harabec »

Really thats comes down to what you view Cathy as having in an army. Many lists go for a standard mix of what they think ancient China and Japan had. The classic: ninja, samarui, conscript horde, with rockets and monks list. But I have also seen everything down to versions of chinese spirits, animated temple dogs and clay warriors, to demon possesed statues, cload dragons, and versions of mongol raiders.

In the end you could take any amry and model it as what you feel Cathy should be. With little in the way of fluff it is up to you to decide what you think would fit your vision.

For example you could do Brettonian style list, with mounted samarui as knights, consript levies as men at arms, and mongol raiders as yoeman. Trebuchets could be models as rockets like the empire's, and blessing could be fluff as protection by ancestral spirits.

You could go for a ninja clan and play Eshin skaven (even i you wanted to use human models based on the list). As I mentioned you could really fight any of the armies to a Cathy feel witha little work and careful unit selection.

Rork edit: Edit an existing post, don't double post.
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

yes, I have seen that army before, but other than the lord and the sky rockets, I was generally unimpressed. Maybe I expected more, but maybe I also know too much about ancient chinese warfare and such.
also, the mage with the two short swords was awsome too.

Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Empire lists I have found are most often used to represent Cathay, usualy because the statlines match (them both being human) and Cathay is sort of assumed to have gunpowder weapons in abunance (and why not, the chinese did discover it afterall.)
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

The Cathay/Nippon-style list I saw at one tournament used the Dogs of War army list. DoW ogres were oversized sumo wrestlers with human infantry as the common soldiery. All the models had green stuffed hats in the oriental style common to the armies of feudal East Asia.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++