101 Tips For Fantasy

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Tip 23- Remember that as a Dark Elf you do not in any way have to be honourable! If it's looking bad refuse challenges and run away.
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Slortor
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Slortor »

Tip 24 - whenever you can get away with it use loaded dice!

or alternatively

know as many army/unit special rules as possible, forewarned is forearmed!
Name: Khalia D'Vaarko (meaning: Khalia, property of Vaarko)
Height/Weight: 5'6", 8 stone
Other: no distinguishing features, barring the brand of a great house left wrist.
Class: Mage
Equipment: Robes, Dagger, Staff
Skills: Power of Ulgu, Power of Chamon
Stats: Ws3, S3, T3, D4, I5

lrnec wrote: Reality and truth is more brutal than almost any fantasy game
Izirath

Post by Izirath »

@Slortor Cheater :P Use alternative though :)

Tip 25: Don't forget your hatred! But don't forget it only lasts for a round.
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
The buoyancy of water
Highborn

Post by The buoyancy of water »

Some of these are a bit Dark Elf orientated, if you wanted 101 Tips for Playing Dark Elves you should put that... Mine though:

Tip 26: Be friendly to your opponent. If you are polite and are generally nice you will both enjoy the game much more.

Cheers,
Dave
Lenya Talos

WS: 4
S: 3
T: 2
D: 4
I: 5

Equipment: Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak, Small Brass Ring. 5 Gold

Skills: Basic Stealth.
Kaseliegth
Executioner

Post by Kaseliegth »

Tip 27: Having a heavy hammer on the side of the table puts your oppenent off. :twisted:
Heat-13
Beastmaster

Post by Heat-13 »

Tip 28: Plan ahead (this has been mentioned briefly but I'd like to expand)

Firstly have a rough battle plan in general terms (having a back up plan helps too)

Secondly, have a plan for each of your units and deploy them accordingly. Then as your battle plan will go pear shaped due to the enemy killing stuff, you can still know what to do with your units, and still achieve victory with them Also try to forsee the enemy killing your units and try to avoid that.

Which brings me on to my final point: Think of the enemy's plan. What would you do were you in his/her shoes? If you can predict your enemy, you will do great because it then allows you to set traps, deny him his advantages, etc. (This is also why you should at least have a browse through all of the warhammer armybooks - the unknown is bad)

Hope that helps..
WS:4 S:3 T:3 D:5 I:4
Basic Stealth, Blood Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting
Eq: S Swordx2, R Crossbow (8 clips), 3xT.Daggers (2gd,1exc) Shade Cloak, Wolfskin Cloak, Stealth armor,s drugs, ring,50ft s.rope, 4rations.33.3 gp
Group 21 Mod
Lah di d'har
Shade

Post by Lah di d'har »

Tip 29: Bring Pain Killers! Warhammer can cause headaches.

Ok Seriously though spending several hours stooped over a table in a cramped room while trying to think several strategic steps ahead of your opponent, Isn’t so good in long stretches.

so take a few breaks if the game drags on a bit.
Mnesthius
Beastmaster

Post by Mnesthius »

tip 30 is a more along the lines of what izirath said

Make effects markers so you don't forget to make your re-rolls or whatever else your specialy effects are. Similarly, don't forget about your units which may be hidden from your sight! You never know what those extra shots from a bow, or attacks on the enemies flank might have helped you!

also: Making stuff like broken banners, slaves etc can be quite fun as a break from regular painting.
ImageImage
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Ok Mnesthius kinda mentioned this but i will stress it more so.

It Applies to all armies with scouts.

tip 31: always, always remember to move those shades you deployed out of sight and never leave them sitting there all game. (sigh)

31.1 never forget you have assassins either (I know that sounds hard but I did once)
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Ukko
Shade

Post by Ukko »

32. Walk around the table from time to time, you'd be surprised what can leap out at you in game-terms when you look at the table from side on.
33. Put your toothbrush in a drawer, the amount of faecal matter in the air in your bathroom is frightening... Ok, that doesn't count as warhammer advice but didn't you ever see that mythbusters?
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Tip 33A : keep your modem in a drawer, the amount of faecal matter on the internet is frightening.

Tip 34 : Think quickly. Warhammer is much like chess, acting quickly puts the pressure back on your opponent. To that end, it's important to have a plan, and keep it in mind. If you do your thinking before th game, you don't have to do so much thinking at the table.

Tip 35 : you gotta know when to hold them, know when to fold them.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Sular
Trainee Warrior

Post by Sular »

Tip 35A: Know when to walk away, know when to run...

Tip 36: Balance your magic. Having too much magic or too little will ruin your army and your game.
Ukko
Shade

Post by Ukko »

Arnold Layne wrote:Tip 33A : keep your modem in a drawer, the amount of faecal matter on the internet is frightening.

:lol:

Ok, as a real 33 then: Get to know what 8" of table looks like, as well as what 10" and 20" looks like. Makes SUCH a difference IMO, even if you find yourself having to picture a 12" ruler or something - failed charges can win/lose games. It's also one of the best trap-setting things you can do too if you deliberately fail a charge by a small margin "Damn, I was only an inch out... now you get to charge that fast cavalry unit... who'll flee"
Doriili bariiliia
Raiding Baron

Post by Doriili bariiliia »

Tip 37 Sometimes a good Close Combat in more imporant than winning or lose some time indulge in that need to have General Units face generals units.

Tip 38 sometimes the most senseless thing leads to victory. Be not Afraid sometimes to charge in, Let common sense be damned, at the very least it will catch your foe off guard at best, goblin spears killed five knights of Khorne.

Tip 39 Try not to be predictible, have two or more uses for everything you bring to the table.

Tip 40 Sometimes Bait is not cheap stuff, big nasty scare stuff can be just of effective if you foe is targeting it with everything.

Tip 41 Be ready to sacrfice units for victory.

Tip 42 Always pray to the Dice Gods.

Tip 43 When Shooting in small amounts doesn't work bring large amounts of shooting.

Tip 44 When playing with friends or newbies do not being List of Multi-death by turn three unless they ask for it.
"Khaine is pleased with my service brother, I care little for your opinion. The Old world is my playground. Our family lands in Naggaroth are yours."
Jrg
Executioner

Post by Jrg »

Tip 45: Knowledge is power, if you know what army your gonna face check out forums for typical army lists or ask people who have faced the army before. Bringing units which work well against your opponent can only make the battle easier.

Tip 46: Dont load lots of points in to one character or one unit, i find this rarely ends well.

Tip 47: When creating a army list consider every unit you put in to it, what is it there for, what will it do, what should it avoid
Somwhere out there is Inquisitor Horatio Caine investigating cults of slaanesh
Caine looks around seeing bits of cultists on the ground
Inq Caine: Well it looks like these cultists
*puts on glasses*
Inq Caine: Have gone to pieces
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Tip 48 - movement is always the key phase. No matter what happened in combat or shotting or magic, you have almost total control in the movement phase and great positioning, baiting and such wins games. Dont move along too hasty to get into that possibly destructive magic phase, i usually ponder my movement for 5 mins before i actually do anything.

Tip 49 - make the game fun. If you are there 100% soley to win, do not be suprised when your opponent either picks up his stuff and leaves or shoves a can of chaos black down your throat in a fit of rage. Try to make the game enjoyable. If you knights die, laugh about it. its just a game...

Tip 50 - If its a high elf, kill it!
Jrg
Executioner

Post by Jrg »

Come on guys we are on fifty, we`re half way there lets get some more tips down.

Tip 51: Make sure you want the army before you buy it, Warhammer isnt cheap by any standards

Tip 52: If you like a army buy the army book first, then proxy a few models from the army to make sure you like it.

Tip 53: If you get beat dont take it too hard, warhammer has a steep learning curve.

Tip 54: Dont lose Heart if you keep losing, remember to play warhammer for Fun not to win.
*puts on glasses*
T12161991
Trainee Warrior

Post by T12161991 »

Tip 55: Never give up! You never know what will happen on turn 6
Tip 56: Learn how to place terrain effectively. It will change your game and your battle plan.
Last edited by T12161991 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

Tip 56: Place the units with whom you want to charge the next turn in some way, that the enemy cannot S&S

Tip 57: Learn how to play Dark Riders

Tip 58: Baiting =/= surviving from fleeing a charge
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Jrg
Executioner

Post by Jrg »

Tip 59: learn your weaknesses and dont let your opponent exploit them

Tip 60: Read peoples opinions on magic items, they can ownly get better when used correctly
*puts on glasses*
Furiouscado

Post by Furiouscado »

Tip 61: Know how to deploy your army

-- Don't feel like you have to span the entire table, refused flank works!

-- You have a 12" deployment zone (normally)... that doesn't mean "line up your units on this line" Don't be afraid to set up towards the back, especially if you're facing combat monsters and you have magic and shooting...

-- Have deployment fodder or deploy fast cav ( or mobile units that can change their position quickly) first to not give away your setup until you have to
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

62 : Don't count your VP's, when you're sitting at the table... actually, yes, you should. Especially your bonus points - table quarters, half-strength units, banners, that sort of thing. If you keep your bonus points in mind, then you might restrain yourself from getting into a disastrous, unnecessary combat, and losing - for instance - an expensive unit with your general in, when you would have won if you'd just have stood and waited while your enemy scrod himself. It happens.

Kenny Rogers, you have been served.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Alasanii
Trainee Warrior

Post by Alasanii »

63: Psychology, no I don't just mean Fear, Terror, and Panic. But what about, smiling when your opponent wants to charge into a unit of infantry with his ultra powerful knights, maybe even say "If you think its a good idea" or "I have been waiting for this". At the very least it gives him pause or possibly even they might stop it altogether.

It is just like poker sometimes. The right facial expression at the right time is great.
A mistake is only pointless if you don't learn anything.
Balthamael
Cold One Knight

Post by Balthamael »

64: Don't leave your über tooled up unit unsupported. Use your support units wisely. so you can get your hard hitting units into the combats you want to fight. Even the best units can be flanked and run down or simply be baited and avoided.
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

65: Use your fast moving units to put your enemy out of balance.

This can be used in many ways, from feints to harassment. If you deploy every unit with high movement on one side or flank of the table, you can quickly move them to the other side to be able to set all the pressure on one part of the enemies army.

This works best with a fast army against a slow one (of course).