How not to fight? Most recent White Dwarf Bat Rep (spoilers)

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Red...
Generalissimo

How not to fight? Most recent White Dwarf Bat Rep (spoilers)

Post by Red... »

So, after reading last month's high elves vs skaven bat rep, I was looking forward to reading their re-hash of the battle, this time on a bigger scale. I hoped that the giant smelly rats would win this time - if only to expose some of the weaknesses in the high elf army roster this edition - but sadly, it was not to be.

But what really disappointed me was how poor the Skaven strategy was.

Just a quick re-cap. The battle was fought between three sets of forces:
- A very small contingent of high elves on an isolated island connected to the mainland via a bridge.
- The Skaven army, positioned on the mainland next to the bridge
- The High Elf army, positioned on the beach adjacent to the mainland, cut off from the small high elf contingent by the Skaven army.

Victory for the High Elves could be achieved if:
- They got 30 or more models into the Skaven deployment zone
- Caladris (one of the defenders) managed to get a specific dice combination after turn 4.

Victory for the Skaven could be achieved if:
- They reduced the number of defenders on the island and bridge to 0.

All fine and good.

Now, if I had been formulating a strategy for the Skaven side, it would probably have focused on funnelling an overwhelming force against the high elf troops on the island to destroy them, while retaining enough troops on the mainland to delay the approaching High Elf army. Bearing in mind that High Elves strike first, I'd ensure that the units I sent against the small high elf contingent were big and hard enough that they could accept a massive beating and still strike back with enough force to kill all of the models in each defending unit.

Instead, apparently, the Skaven players deployed virtually nothing against the defenders and concentrated on advancing the overwhelming bulk of their army against the larger High Elf army. The units they did commit against the island defenders were small, undersupported and underpowered.

So, what's the problem with this? Well, there are several, and they're all pretty pivotal:

1. The Skaven could only win if they destroyed the defenders of the island. Even if they had succeeded in destroying ALL of the main high elf army, they would STILL not have won. By focusing virtually none of their resources on achieving their victory conditions, they reduced their victory potential to zero.

2. The units that they did reluctantly send in to assault the island were nowhere near large enough to take the punishment that was inevitably going to be meted out to them by the small contingent of high elf defenders. This isn't rocket science: 10 swordmasters of hoeth do indeed get 25 ASF re-rolling S5 attacks, so perhaps its a good idea to approach with larger units of 50+ models? To use the magazine's own language: this is pretty basic 'hordonomics'.

3. The High Elves could secure victory in two different ways, only one of which involved getting 30 models into the high elf deployment zone. So the Skaven strategy of advancing aggressively against the main High Elf army wasn't even going to be enough to secure them a draw.

I guess I'm ranting because I enjoy reading bat reps as much as the next person, but like to feel like the players involved with them gave the games at least some degree of thought. I was sorely disappointed with this one.

But who knows, they've been plugging the High Elf line pretty hard over the last two issues, with far less (imo anyway) emphasis on the Skaven line. Perhaps the aim is once again not to present a fun bat rep but to convince all of those potential players out there to collect high elves by showing them how strong they are...

Any thoughts?
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Battle reports always favour the army GW are trying to sell at the time. Its unfortunate, because good battle reports are fun to read. Oh well, explains why i dont buy White Dwarf anymore.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Re: How not to fight? Most recent White Dwarf Bat Rep (spoil

Post by Thanee »

Red... wrote:Perhaps the aim is once again not to present a fun bat rep but to convince all of those potential players out there to collect high elves by showing them how strong they are...

Any thoughts?

This. The end.

WD is an advertisement brochure. It's ridiculous enough that you have to pay for it. It's even more ridiculous that thousands of people do so.

Bye
Thanee
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Battle reports always favour the army GW are trying to sell at the time. Its unfortunate, because good battle reports are fun to read. Oh well, explains why i dont buy White Dwarf anymore.

Except that one issue after 6th ed DE were released and then stomped by vampires in a battle rep.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Dalamar wrote:

Except that one issue after 6th ed DE were released and then stomped by vampires in a battle rep.

I actually remember that issue. Back in the day where I would occasionally pick up one of those rags.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Dalamar wrote:

:D And since we know they refight the battles if they don't like the battle, you have to wonder how many times they tried that battle before realising the DE just weren't gonna win and gave up...