Tournament army ranking

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Helle
Executioner

Tournament army ranking

Post by Helle »

Hey Guys,

I just wundered where I can find some statistics about what armies do good at tournaments, are often played, some lists and so on.

You've got some links?

Thanks!
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

'Depends on your area' is the best I have.

People go for easiest win and what they find visually appealing.

If they did well with 40K, a lot like shooty armies (Met a HE player that played JUST that way, even called his Wizard a Psyker lol)

Many go VC because of the Undead factor and popularity

OFTEN WoC because of the old Chosen-Star which may or may not have gotten nerfed. Seriously, ALL they do is march forward, and get blessed unless you can cut that early on. The simplicity is often attractive to the masses.

EXPECT at least one if not all 3 of those armies at any one given tourney.
Oderint dum Metuant.
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Ogres have the best chances of winning tournaments these days. Dark Elves often get quite a lot of restrictions and especially with ETC comp, the ogres are just awesome.

I met one yesterday which had a star unit that was impossible for me to take down. If I had killed all but that unit from him and lost nothing in return, I could maximum have a 14-6 win... and that unit is impossible to kill in close combat and has too many wounds to shoot down with the ETC restrictions.
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I'm not sure these rankings are entirely reliable but here you go:
http://www.tabletoptournaments.net/t3_a ... id=0&gid=1
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Helle
Executioner

Post by Helle »

Thanks for your advice. Interessting that you think Ogres are pretty strong, my feeling tells me otherwise. Probably its due to lack of good Ogre players in my area I guess. Where can I get some more Information about the army, playstile etc.?

@Daeron your list is pretty much I was looking for, thank you.
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Well, the big weakness to ogres are their low I and lack of armor. If you have one big unit with ogres and heroes and that banner that gives you a 2+ roll against being targeted of spells, you are pretty much quite safe from most of the worst spells.

The mournfangs is the best monstrous cavalry you can get your hands on as well... I think that a couple of cannons added as well as some sabretusks, and you're ready to go.

The reason I think the Ogres are really hard, is that they have done best in the tournaments I've joined the last year, taking a couple of first places and even had the first and second place in one of the tournaments.

Otherwise, Daemons is very strong. VC can do well too I think, although I've not met a list that I think is that terriying yet.

As for information about how to play them, I'm not sure where to go. Most of the time it's about manouvering your sabretusks as chaff, the mournfangs as small hardhitting units against skirmishers, small units and flank charges... and the big unit being a deathstar that wins over anything it meets :D
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Lorddrittz
Beastmaster

Post by Lorddrittz »

Here is a list of Specific Army websites listed on Wargamer AU (Australian Website).

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=108

I am unsure if there is a list of the armies winning various Tourneys even within Australia never mind in different countries.

Rankings HQ may keep a list of the winning armies I know they keep records of each Race so I guess that is similar.

http://www.rankingshq.com/rankings/defa ... erRankings

One of the big Tournaments in Australia recently was Can Con (Canberra) and an MSU High Elf Army won it in a 95 player Tourney.

The Australian Masters was won by Chris Cousins using Wood Elves.

The UK Masters was won by Tom Mawdsley using Ogres.

The New Zealand Masters was won by Tom Dunn using Daemons.

So it is more to do with the players ability rather than the race they are using. This being said newer players may find certain armies such as Ogres easier to win with.
Dark Elf Battles

Win/Draw/Loss
10 : 1 : 4 7th Ed Codex
L1qw1d
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by L1qw1d »

I think we're more magic heavy so about balanced with VC if we can focus on their hardest hitters and not get that bogged- so we're fairly even matched if played well
Oderint dum Metuant.
Atanatari165
Shade

Re: Tournament army ranking

Post by Atanatari165 »

It depends on comp and local metagame but from what I gather Ogres, Skaven, Lizardmen, and Dark Elves are the top armies at the moment as far as all-round tournament power level.
Helle
Executioner

Post by Helle »

I think its interessting that you mention Dark Elves as an top tier army. I agree that our army book is great, but in the current metagame with all those monstrous cavalry I think we moved down to a mid tier army (I have to admit that I lack tournament experience though). What kind of army are you refering to? Some kind of avoidance?

Where do other people see our place in tournaments?
Atanatari165
Shade

Post by Atanatari165 »

I think we are still top tier, it just takes more skill than it used to. You can't just redirect with harpies and then charge our horde into their horde and hit the mindrazor button. We have lots of tools to beat the other top armies. But we are inherently fragile, a few lucky hits early on, or an unexpected charge can decimate important units, so we aren't the most reliable army out there. To compete with the very top armies we need the edge that comp usually takes away from us.
Burizan
Beastmaster

Post by Burizan »

Tier 1: WoC
Tier 2: Ogres, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Skaven, Teclis

In my opinion at least. It's clear to me that WoC are superior though, many things which may or may not be taken have hugely changed the meta by their mere existance.
Torakeen
Trainee Warrior

Post by Torakeen »

Just reviewing the link that Daeron posted within the tournament results, I'm quite surprised at the success and rankings that the wood elves show. Everything that I have heard indicates that they are a sub-par army and are badly in need of a new army book.

Then within Lorddrittz's post, it shows the Australian Master's won by a Wood Elf player. Talk about the world turned upside down! I suppose that makes sense in Australia!

Anyway, in my humble view, I do think that some of the comp rules do hurt us. Comping at 12 dice magic in any turn can really hurt an offensive magic based army such ours. We do have some tools besides magic to counter some monsters, but with the proliferation of 3+ flying monsters and in some cases as many as 5, it can be tough to counter all the monstrosities without cannons combined with our comped magic. Keep in mind that is just my thoughts after getting back into the game and I am certainly no dark elf master general ... yet. ;)

I do think that a great player can counter a great many list/army shortcomings.