High Elves next?

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

High Elves next?

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Truly These are the End Times ...
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: High Elves next?

Post by Daeron »

Probably :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Sedge
Trainee Warrior

Post by Sedge »

Try this link: https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 3868_n.jpg

Those phoenixes look fantastic, and almost make me want to start a High Elf army...

But at least it brings hope that when we get re-done (start of next year?) there should be some amazing models coming our way.
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

Good grief. They really are going for a High Phantasy look these days :shock:
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

From DakkaDakka:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/516829.page

Ozguard Battlehammer over at Bugman's Forum wrote:I won't say how I know but I can say that the next army book will be High Elves.

They have a number of new things.

Flying Phoenix's (Frost and Fire) that can drop flame templates on units they fly over. Gets abilities based on what is roled on winds of magic

Great Eagle towing chariots (Which can have bolt throwers on them)

New Highmage of Hoeth (Swordsmaster/mage) Gets every signature from all 8 lores.

Everqueen

Silver Helms as Core

Martial Prowess across the board

Archer units with magical bows

Swordsmasters get a parry save vs shooting

New Shadow Warrior Models

The White Dwarf battle report is vs Ogres.

I'm not sure how many of you are interested in High Elves, but I thought I'd share what I know.

More rumours on High Elves, collected from Spanish forums by Nopuiiidorl over at Warseer:

Hi there.

Indeed, in spanish forums people are discussing a huge pack of rumors since a couple of weeks ago. Belannaer may return. There will be new model to Imrik in a huge dragon (Caledor Dragon?), according to rumors.

Hastings' flying chariot do exist, but may not be pulled by eagles.

There will be a shrine/anvil (similar tu lumynarch/hurricanum) of two known elven gods. Some buffs could be magical attacks/flaming attacks/ASF.

Dragon MC will be modelled taking Thaindon's dragon as inspiration (that elf dragon rider from the 3rd edition). Like current HE plastic dragon (which takes inspiration from a very old GW dragon).

Do not expect to see spears/LSG core units in may. The rumor holds truth, but that belongs to a further miniature wave. "Silver boys" coming later on too.

ASF will be lost as rule armywide (Harry said that alredy). This would mean a slight point decrease on miniatures.

A less likely rumor talks that there will be a "Caledor dragon", apart from current dragons.

SMs may have a path-choice attacks (+1 to hit/KB/ward save...), lions being slightly more focused in monster-killing; lion pelt would protect also in CC.

Apparently there will be new miniatures for Teclis and another "plastic mage (Belannaer we hope)".

Plus: intrigues at court coming back (maybe different from 6ed), no valor of ages (probably changed into a new rule). There will be a new racial rule shared by all elves (we are discussing if this could be something related to elven swiftness).

There will be more core units (probably four or five slots), and more rare slots (probably three to five slots).

Cruddace was not the HE designer, and a team would be working in all three elven races at once.

Remember, all this are just rumors. Source wants to be anonyme.

75hastings69 wrote:I did report another plastic Mage some time ago so ill happily confirm that

Best_Pone over at Warseer wrote:I can confirm the flying chariot. It looks like a tiny boat with wings, and is pulled by a single giant eagle. It looks kind of silly in my opinion, but not much that can be done about that.

As for the phoenix, it can be made up either as a fire phoenix or an ice phoenix. This one at least look pretty cool (or hot, depending on the option you choose I guess )

Best_Pone over at Warseer wrote:Both of these will be plastic kits:
- A unit of lasses that look to be using bows formed from water. They're something to do with Avalon?
- A unit wielding bows and swords, with face-covering helms. I understand these to be called Shadow Soldiers or something to that effect.

Stromez Grom wrote:I can confirm that I`ve heard those rumours before... The first time, I thought my source was kidding me... but now... It could be possible.
I can confirm that we may get a new plastic infantry kit (10). I was doubting between Baumgant rumour (SM,A,SG), and new shadow warriors/maiden guard.
Also there`s a phoenix on the way but not a superphoenix. It's a part of a shrine. I can confirm there is a huge dragon on the way but maybe not yet.

From an anonymous email to Darnok over at Warseer:

Every 3-4 months, as an independent retailer, we get a list of items that must be stocked. These are changed in advanced so we don't order old stock, and to give us a change to sell off old stock before new items turn up. The last one in about October / November added a few basic Marine items but dropped Tau Battlesuits, which would tie in with concepts of new battlesuits and new Tau for Spring / Easter.

Yesterday I got the new list, which had a lot of changes in the Fantasy sections. I no longer have to stock High Elves Spearmen, Wood Elves, Bret Knights or Dwarf Warriors. It can therefore be reasonably speculated that these core troop choices will be relaunched in the next 6 - 8 months. The only change in 40k was I no longer have to stock any Eldar (not even DA or Guardians).

I know its not radical or ground breaking and gives no specific dates, but the Bret / Wood /Dwarf news I think is a bit new.
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Zenith
Noble

Post by Zenith »

Does this mean that Brets and dwarves are being redone before the de dark elves?
Damm
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I read somewhere that all elven books are being worked on simultaneously... now that doesn't necessarily mean they will be released close together but I would hope so.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Yeah, I heard a similar rumour - that elves were all getting similar traits and so would need to be released close to one another. That said, it looks from warseer like the schedule for new books will be: High Elves (around May), Lizardmen (later on in the year), Dark Elves (possibly towards the end of the year, but more likely early next year).
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

From Portador de Tormento writing on Ulthuan.net:

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38960&start=2580

Maelström, the Spanish guy who bring rumours that has been proved true —such as phoenixes—, brought this morning —Spanish time— some new rumours. A lot of salt on them nevertheless, more than usually.

- Plastic huge Treeman —also can be used by WE—. It's been done since two years ago. It was thought only for WE but has been put into this wave for HE because of the lack of ideas.

- Plastic Maidenguard-Avelorn. They share with Shadow Warriors: heavy armor, shiled, spear-halberd as in LOTR, great weapon and magic bows. Bodies for male and female. Shadow Warriors wear helms and cloaks and they are scouts.

- Monstruous Infantry, ¿Elementales? from Changing Islands. Options for all four elements. Maelström says this is the first time he hears about that. He's also received an email talking about MC with eagles.

- Griffon/monster, Eltharion.

- Blister Finecast: Alarielle, Teclis, Alith Anar, Belennaer.

- Blister Plastic: Warrior wizard from Hoeth, heroe on foot with lion cloak.

- New Batallion Box: more expensive: 10 shadow warriors/maiden, 20 spears, bolthrowe or however it's said in English and 8 silver helms.

- No new model for Imrik and no drakes MC. Dragons can be placed as rare 1-3.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Prince fabulas
Cold One Knight

Post by Prince fabulas »

Doesn't sound very inspiring :(

Can't be as much of a balls up as the last HE book (hopefully).

Please at least get the core slightly right this time.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Prince fabulas wrote:Doesn't sound very inspiring :(

Well yeah.. We all know Dark Elves are the cool ones. :D
But I think, with the phoenix models seen and the flying chariot.. they'll have a few cool models to play with. As for an expansion of the characters... jeesh! Even more!

I do hope Dark Elves get a second sorceress on foot (other than the old Morathi and the plastic one) and maybe a new sorceress on a peg!
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Well, when it comes to models I'm more interested in the Raging Heroes kickstarter for dark elves... I'll probably put my money there whenever they get it up and going.

As for the high elves, I'm more interested in the rules than the new miniatures. Some of those statlines and special rules will tell us a bit more about what we are likely to get in our book (Whenever it comes out... most likely just before 9th edition).
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
Prince fabulas
Cold One Knight

Post by Prince fabulas »

Omnichron wrote:Well, when it comes to models I'm more interested in the Raging Heroes kickstarter for dark elves... I'll probably put my money there whenever they get it up and going.

+1
Ankhalagon
Trainee Warrior

Post by Ankhalagon »

- Plastic huge Treeman —also can be used by WE—. It's been done since two years ago. It was thought only for WE but has been put into this wave for HE because of the lack of ideas.

Sounds lazy.
The Omnissiah knows all, comprehends all.
10000 pts Dark Elves of Karond Kar
3500 pts Skaven clan Mors
2000 pts Nippon Shinzei clan

2500 pts Mechanicum
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

So far no MI, no MC, no Treemen.

Rumours of Dragons as a Rare choice though.
Sisstros
Dark Rider

Post by Sisstros »

I don't like the idea of the Phoenix abilities being related to the winds of magic role.

Units with characteristics that are wildly erratic are difficult to fit into a strong list and I would Ideally like two Phoenixes, just so I could call one River and the other Joaquin.
вы претендуете оплатить, мы претендуем работать
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Hmm.. while I understand the concern of erratic units, they sometimes offer an interesting challenge in terms of theoryhammer. Sometimes... seemingly erratic or unstable behavior can have a hidden stability or odds when worked out over multiple units.

- The stiff breeze
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

So, now that most rules have leaked out and almost everyone know what the new HE is about, what do you think?

Personally I'm not sure if HE is going to be some sort top tier army yet or not, but imo they got stronger (although the GW ones got a bit easier to deal with).

The strongest part of the book (Without giving out any details of the book and getting my ass sued), seems to be the new high magic as well as the "WTF" Banner of the World Dragon. The lore itself does a lot of damage, while giving you protections as well for the unit where the mage is in. Adding the healing part of the lore, it reminds me of VC lore in a way, only stronger. I especially love the "Walk Between Worlds" that gives you a lot of movement options with normal troops, and if you make a deathstar with the WTF banner, you can get it where you want it quite quickly.

And the banner? Well, it doesn't matter that much for us dark elves, but it surely is a pain in the *** for those who have a lot of magic attacks (Daemons). The problem with the banner is that it doesn't only give you the same as MR5 but the extra protection against magical attacks as well as the banner being very cheap, it can be taken by most special choices... it's one of those items that you'll see in every HE list, and it gives the HE easy options for deathstar builds. I think WL with that banner and Phoenix guard with that MR2 lord will give you two quite strong units which most can struggle with... again, not that bad to deal with for us dark elves, but it makes the HE stronger against Daemons, Skaven, partly the TK (who often has death sniping or other damage spells), WoC, Vampire Counts (Screams, etherals and magic), Dwarfs (Runed warmachines...), Bretonnia... I think those are the ones who will feel the effects mostly, and maybe some of the typical Empire lists I've seen around here.

Lets just say that if an army has lots of magical nastiness, the characters will join that unit and they are safe against most damage spells. Those who don't care about wards will still do lots of damage, but us dark elves don't have the dwellers below or OP spells like that.

As for the balance of the troops, I think the book is quite good. Going through the options and points for the choices for a day, I think we'll see a lot of shooty lists with lots of magic and one or two powerful units for close combat... a bit like we see today, although the shootiness got better. I think it would be interesting to see an all cavalry list from the HE as well, and it gives me some hopes to see dark elves getting something similar for the future.

And what about the new stuff? I like both phoenixes, even though it might be a bit risky to bring them. The fire one being good at running over stuff and dealing damage while the icy one is great for close combat nastiness... they cost more than the hydra and doesn't have much protection though. For the ETC tournaments, where there's lots of terrain this year, the flaming one could be quite nice... but it'd be killed quickly against some armies.

The chariots (All of them really) can't take much hits, and even though the new chariots are quick, I feel like there are better options for HE... like the maiden guard of avelorn. Being a bit costy, these girls shoots like flaming crossbows and as precisly as the Shades. They lack some of the mobility of course, but adding the Handmaiden of the Everqueen to the unit, and they'll have a better chance of hitting while moving (not marching) as well as a bit more goody stuff when the unit get charged (Now, what rule could that be I wonder).

The good news for us dark elves, is that the RBTs get cheaper and therefore more viable. They can choose them like we can today, so it wouldn't surprise med to see 4 of them on the field in battles for 1500-3000 pts.

I think that the thing I love the most (or hate the most as I'm a dark elf player), is all the choices of characters. So many ways of running different kinds, and they have their own strengths...

Hopefully we'll see many different kind of HE lists coming up and maybe they'll even change the meta slightly. Whatever happens, now I can't wait for the new DE book!
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

The banner of the world dragon is a design flaw if it is indeed what it is rumored to be. It may not be brought in every game, but in every game where it's used it could be game breaking for some armies. I won't be bothered too heavily with it, but it doesn't impress me at all.

I'm quite positive about all the other stuff I read thus far. If the rumors would prove true, then it might be a very fun book... and I think a lot of fun to fight against too. There would be a ton of options, I think.

And I do think you undervalue the white lion chariot. Sure, it's not immune to damage, but with steadfast on top of the power it has on the crew and mounts, I think it may just see the battlefield. It might be able to pin down some chaff units or units with massed S3 attacks (which would still hurt the infantry), grinding them away with only a small risk of fleeing.

I look forward to fighting the army.

- The stiff breeze
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

Daeron wrote:And I do think you undervalue the white lion chariot. Sure, it's not immune to damage, but with steadfast on top of the power it has on the crew and mounts, I think it may just see the battlefield. It might be able to pin down some chaff units or units with massed S3 attacks (which would still hurt the infantry), grinding them away with only a small risk of fleeing.

Yes, I might. It's very good at the damage dealing part, and that chariot is probably the only one I would take of the three(or four if you count the shooty one).

Having played against the lion chariot before, I think it's not that hard to deal with, although it's clearly a bigger threat than other chariots. As I am using RBTs more in my list, they are perfect targets, and even crossbow shots will deal with them swiftly. It's still quite viable against many other races and lists though.

I can't wait to see what kind of lists the HE players comes up with... so many viable choices and setups now.
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

I think Dark Elves will be one of the few armies they (New High Elves) won't steamroller. Once the synergies start to play out with the new lists I think High Elves will be in the top tier. M. Ward gave them everything. Awesome magic items (13 compared to every one else's 8. ) and great special rules and new flying beasts.

But...we have hatred against them in every round. :D And our crossbows will rip up most of their stuff including their new flying chariots. Those phoenixes will be a problem though. I am also sad for us and jealous of them that they now get their repeater bolt throwers 30 points cheaper. :mrgreen:

I would so use ours if they were that cheap.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

We might get an errata before our new book comes out.

Remember High Elves got their bolt throwers an errata in 7th ed when ours came out and the crew had light armor and theirs didn't :o 30 points difference is a little bigger difference than presence of light armor on crew.

On a side note, I'm not overly concerned about the new high elves so far. I haven't seen a single new unit I would be more worried about than I was in the old book (even though it's still the current one until tomorrow :P). We haven't heard anything about MI or MC (aside from rumors that weren't confirmed by what showed up in the GW store... where are those rumored MI elementals?). Great Eagles in a unit have potential of being painful, but if they remain T4 and 2 or 3 wounds, they'll die to our crossbows fast enough.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

The only thing that I'm really jealous about are those Handmaidens.... S4 Flaming Attacks (and AP against forces of Destruction)..... Not to mention they can be made quick shot as well... That could be a real pain for our Hydra if placed badly... then again...it will be so much fun to hunt these with a Pegasus Master.

The Phoenix is indeed a flying MONSTER... Fly over a unit doing massive damage to them. land in their back..and charge them in the next turn in the rear.......How much fun we Dark Elves could have with something like that on our side.
I will admit I'd like to shoot that thing down in his own startng area and see the HE player scramble to get to safety or suffer the damage from a phoenix trying to rise again. :twisted:
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Cold73 wrote:The only thing that I'm really jealous about are those Handmaidens.... S4 Flaming Attacks (and AP against forces of Destruction)..... Not to mention they can be made quick shot as well... That could be a real pain for our Hydra if placed badly... then again...it will be so much fun to hunt these with a Pegasus Master.

The Phoenix is indeed a flying MONSTER... Fly over a unit doing massive damage to them. land in their back..and charge them in the next turn in the rear.......How much fun we Dark Elves could have with something like that on our side.
I will admit I'd like to shoot that thing down in his own startng area and see the HE player scramble to get to safety or suffer the damage from a phoenix trying to rise again. :twisted:

None of them have thought of that yet :) I like the frost phoenix T6, 6 wounds, WS 6, 4x S6 magical attacks, 5+ ward and armour save - plus everything in base contact is ASL and -1 strength.

So far it looks to be a very sensible and balanced book. Everything is a little cheaper or got better because of martial prowess. All infantry and cavalry now shoot/fight in 3 ranks and everything still has ASF. Watch out for dragon princes, they are now m9, the champ has 50 points for magic items and they can take a 75 point banner.
"Luck is the residue of design"