My poofy high elves go to a tournament - 2400

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

My poofy high elves go to a tournament - 2400

Post by Rabidnid »

Soooo....

I'm playing in a local tournament and no bugger over at ulthan net feels confident to bag out my list, so I thought I would brig it over here for you guys to make fun of.

Swedish comp score of about 11

Lore question - life or beasts? I like having dwellers for those hard to shift units, but I also like the idea of the strength boost for characters from beasts. It also increased my comp score dramatically.

Characters = 630
Prince with halberd, armour of destiny, dragonbane gem and our ring that does 2xD6 S-4 and adds + 1 to your ward save.
lvl 4 with lore of life, scroll and our item that gives a 2+ ward versus the first wound for 5 SS!
BSB with halberd, dragon armour and talisman of preservation.

Core = 628
19 armoured archers with std and muso
19 armoured archers with std and muso
5 reavers with bows (8.5 SS!)
5 reavers with bows

Special = 842
12 swordmasters with std and banner of flame
12 swordmasters
14 phoenix guard with muso, std and gleaming pennant
14 phoenix guard with razor banner

Rare 300
frost phoenix
eagle with ASF

105 models, 10 drops and 2400 points exactly

The war host Dusk

Dust was a coastal colony city established by elves from Nagarythe on the south coast of Araby (The original Elven name of Calcar fell out of use fairly quickly). After the sundering all of the DE colonies were pressured to choose a side. Dust had the advantage of a strong economic base from trade with the local Araby tribes and smuggling mineral sands to the Dwarves, and so could resist the pressure.

Dust has become a haven for elves who do not fit within either elven society. Made up of Druchii and Shadowlands refugees for the most part, they have not cut their ties with Ulthuan, with which they still trade and from where they draw new colonists.

Neither Malaketh or the current Phoenix king are recognised in Dust. The War Host of the Tower of Dust continues to maintain Dust’s independence as ferociously now has it has in the past since its founding millennia ago.

The urban regiments. The people of Dusk train to fulfil their military obligations either as archers or swordsmen (SM).

Archers - Archers wield long bows and wear light armour. They are not afraid to fight in close combat, and usually carry an array of swords, knives and daggers to allow them to do so.

Swordsmen – The larger and more commited citizens instead take up the sword and heavy chain that allows them to fight in close combat.

The tower regiments. The tower maintains a small professional force that includes desert maticores (GE), frost phoenixes, sandmen (PG) road wardens (ER) and Repeatign Bolt Throwers

Manticores (GE) – the small desert maticore is a long lived and mostly solitary creature. Their contact with the elves has been mostly positive and they will occadsionally aid the elves in combat and warn them of interlopers.

Frost Phoenixes – As phoenixes they age they become colder and colder. Some, to delay the inevitable, move to the heat of the Araby desert. Dust protects their roosting sites and so they in turn aid Dust in war.

Sandmen - The sandmen are a melding of local tradition with elven magic. The humans of the desert have always relied on witchdoctors to adudicate between disputing families and even tribes. With the arrival of Elves, sword masters began to fulfil this role between the new arrival and the local tribes. In time swordmasters were taken into the local schools and trained in human as well as elven. Operating singelly or in small groups, they are everything from police to lawyers to judges and midwives to the human and elven communities they watch over. Such is the respect for the schools of the Sandmen act as an independent judisury within Dust itself.

In war the sandmen fight with the the heavy druchii spear know as a Drannach that is both their symbol of office and their weapon of choice. Shielding themselves with magical wards and projecting an aura that intimidates lesser foes, they usually act as bodyguards the army’s leaders and as shock troops.

Road Wardens - Operating in small detachments know as banners, they protect the caravans crossing the desert and the frontiers of Dust. On occasion they will venture far into the desert in search of bandits, and information about Dust’s less hospitable neighbours.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Executioner

Re: My poofy high elves go to a tournament - 2400

Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

it's because they love fashion and if something is not in line with the internet knowledge they try to deny it exists. :) Since you army has some MSU-ish elements to it, you definitely do not ride in the band wagon.

I am not great at army list discussions as I always prefer to talk tactics but I would go for beasts. Just for fun! I think it has some nice spells for your army, PG can be even tougher when they are S5 and T4!

Cheers!
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

Nice army...loads of things you can do with it.
I'd prefer Beasts in this set-up.
Life is nice for regrowing and dwellers...but i believe beasts to be more interesting. And it has some things to make cavalry and monstrous cavalry armies easier to handle.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

I think i will go with beasts. I've has some success with amber spear and can see it working well versus monstrous cavalry and other critters.

Comp of 13.3 with beasts will keep me away from the harder lists initially.
Janna_142
Slave on the Altar

Post by Janna_142 »

yep, i agree.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Janna_142 wrote:yep, i agree.

Give us a little more, eh? Discussion is a good thing.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Right, another year and a variation on a theme.

The new list which does away with the archers and replaces them with mounted and spears.

Characters (632 points)
Level 4 beasts - talisman of preservation, earthing rod & ring of fury
Handmaiden, shield of Myewyn, relic sword & reaver bow
BSB - Hb & AoD

Core (600 points)
8 SH with shield and FC
5 reavers with bows
5 reavers with bows
19 spears with FC and BoD

Special (880 points)
20 PG with FC & razor banner
20 PG with FC & gleaming pennant
10 SM with FC and BoEF

Rare (288 points)
7 sisters
2x Bolt thrower
great eagle

2400 points and 100 models

Basic plan is to put the BSB and handmaiden in the PGs for some extra damage as they can both be boosted via lore of beasts. The Handmaiden with S-8 reaver bow via savage beasts spell and her own 2+ to hit I expect to attract attention. The archmage goes in the spears. Changing them to seaguard would cost 60 points and lose the banner. I have used archers in the past and found the lack of any saves and limited attacks problematic, plus my spear unit is based off the new DE black guard figure with the big infantry shields from the old DE warrior box and abreviated halberds.

One lack in the previous list was the damage potential of the PG. This time I plan on 7x3 with the BSB/hand maiden in the units as buffing targets for lore of beasts.

I get a Swedish comp of 16.1 by the current 1.12.1 format. Thoughts or obvious flaws?
Last edited by Rabidnid on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Is this list for an upcoming event? If so what is the swedish comp target you are willing to go to?
The list looks solid without any of the normal HE crutches that are normal seen. BoTWD, frost phoenix etc.
A second eagle might help if you can find the points and it doesn't knock the comp score badly.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Amboadine wrote:Is this list for an upcoming event? If so what is the swedish comp target you are willing to go to?
The list looks solid without any of the normal HE crutches that are normal seen. BoTWD, frost phoenix etc.
A second eagle might help if you can find the points and it doesn't knock the comp score badly.

I'm a little limited in models for pedantic reasons. My current "eagle" is a converted Vargulf with lion and other bits to look like a young manticore. I really don't want to make another. The PG and Spears are also heavily converted and so limited by my ability to find bits to make more.

I have from a friend who pays attention to these things that its best to stay over 13 to avoid the really ugly WoC lists in the first round. Ideally I would like to stay over 15.5 so I stay in the fluffy bunny part of the draw and as an excuse for my slacker playing style (note revised figure of 16.1)

More sisters and or adding shadow warriors are a possiblity. Swapping reavers for SH is also possible as I have another 8 with FC. I've had a great time with the SH, they do the same things my archers did, but in a 1 turn rather than over 3 turns of shooting. At the moment the spears are my archmage bunker, though she could go into a PG unit. I have toyed with switching the sword masters for a third small unit of PG as a bunker for the mage, but prefer the current set up.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

16.1 is definitely fluffy bunny. I think you should be able to give a good fight though with the list as is. Without seriously denting the comp score there is not much I can offer in way of improvements.
That 'eagle' sounds intriguing however.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame