New army! Help choosing?

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Jvh792
Highborn

New army! Help choosing?

Post by Jvh792 »

I'm looking for a new army. I want something fun, than plays differently than DE, so I can learn a new way to win.
I want something that's fun, and looks great on the battle field. Thoughts?
"With hate, all things are possible." - Malus Darkblade
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: New army! Help choosing?

Post by Calisson »

Goblins are great fun. And they are definitively different. Just don't play FTW, winning is (sometimes) a bonus.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Orcs and gobbli s have a tone of variety to them.

Ogres look prety straitforward, as does warriorsnof chaos.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

If you're looking for fun but don't care much for winning all the time, I'd say skaven. You have to get into that particular mindset where you don't care about your own units and the bigger explosion the better, no matter who dies in the green mushroom of warpstone nuke.

Similarly greenskins can be fun if you put your mind into the whole animosity.

Both armies play very differently from Dark Elves.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Ok perfect. You guys are confirming my two favorite armies I'm currently thinking about playing.
I may end up doing both if I can't decide.
Both armies have amazing center piece units, the arachnarok and the hell pit abomination.
Any one with experience on how the big ass spider plays? 8 wounds and attacks seems good.
kunimitsu
Corsair

Post by kunimitsu »

I would opt for Orks and gobs, purely cosmetic and fluff wise. I just never have wanted to run an army of rats... I don't like rats, not in real life, not in fantasy... Orks are fun and have a lot of character!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Jvh792 wrote:... amazing center piece units, the arachnarok ...
Any one with experience on how the big ass spider plays? 8 wounds and attacks seems good.
It is said to be very easy to kill.
Now, if you play for the look and the fun, why not?
My son is in love with his goblinoid army with no orcs (he includes snortlings and trolls).
Very low Ld, very weak stats, large numbers, all kind of treachery.
His most glorious character managed once to charge knights, kill some - and survive (he fled), earning the respect of the whole troop. That's the spirit.
By the way, he starts all battles considering it uphill, but ends up winning a majority of them - with not a single orc.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Huh... I don't see how it's easy to kill. T6, W8... The 4+ isn't great, but if you get it tucked into combat with infantry, it will chew the shart out of them. Or so it seems to me.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

So everyone seems to like the OnG... But I wunna counter with this thought... The island of blood is one of the best deals out there, and the high elf half is selling pretty high on ebay. more than covering their half of the box.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Also, I should have mentioned that I love OnG. But I want lots of pump wagons and I need a cheaper way of getting them. Any cool ideas on how to get a cheap pump wagon? Have any links? Know any friends? Have any pictures?
Enkiel
Assassin

Post by Enkiel »

I'd advise against Skaven.

First, their book is very much non-8th ed friendly.
second, you needs hundreds of models. If you like painting, i can guarantee you'll get tired of painting before finishing your 3rd horde.
third, the model aren't all that interesting.

You really need to figure out what you want. Do you want to paint minimal models? Do you want to convert alot? Do you want something completely different than DE, or just something else?

OnG are obviously an option too, but it's hard to say its a good choice ;
its a nice army, with interesting rules, but you quickly feels like all your list are alike. If you go gobbo, you need this and that, and if you go orcs, you need that and this.
Arachnarok is an interesting model, but what other model really interest you? You talk about pump wagon, but obviously, that's not filling much of your core army.

Imho, the first thing you need to consider is, what core you want most to paint? To me, if i had to choose a new army, i'd go with Lizardman. Why? I love their core. I love their characters, and i love their monsters.

Do you want to paint 80+ Goblins? or maybe 60+ Orcs?

Obviously, if you don't wanna paint, its a whole different story.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I have skaven as a second army and keep seeing people say its incompatible with 8th edition but I fail to see how. 8th edition made verminous valor useless but that's it.
7th edition army book:

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Empire is quite tic-tactical with its detachments and countercharging and so on.

Also flexible in terms of list building.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Zlatan
Dark Rider

Post by Zlatan »

I'd second Lizardmen if you like painting. They play quite differently from elves but are still quite flexible. Only downside is their core are quite boring...

I'm personally interested in seeing how the dwarfs fare in their new incarnation. If they've managed to make them viable as a non gun line army that's what I'll be going for next I think
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

How is verminous valor useless?
Your whole army is basically LD10 if you have a general nearby. And if you do it right, your always going to be steadfast for several rounds.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Verminous valor allows you to refuse a challenge and move a character to the back rank "as normal" but still benefit from their Ld.

In 7th, you could pick who goes to the back rank after refused challenge. In 8th your opponents does. This means that your squishy character stays to fight while your opponent picks your fighty one to go back.

You're thinking Strength in Numbers for the Ld bonus equal to rank bonus.
7th edition army book:

Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

And ther's no lore attributes. But truth be told, Skaven magic can be pretty nasty and they don't miss the lore attribute. I also have Skaven as my second army and they are a blast to play. (No pun intended)
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

yes, you're right. strength in numbers is what I was thinking.
@dragon9 first, cool picture lol. Second, I'm glad you enjoy skaven so much.
Could you two tell me a bit about your experience with skaven? Favorite units, least favorite units, weird army lists that you've done and had success with. If I do skaven, I dunno if I wunna do the traditional power list.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Favorite unit? Doomwheel!
Second favorite unit? Warpfire thrower!
Best moments? When something exolodes! (Especially one of the above two!)

I play skaven for the hilarity of it, completely non competitive.
7th edition army book:

Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

I think I may just end up doing both armies.
For skaven I really wunna do a clan skyre theme, with lots of machines and weapons.
For OnG I haven't decided on anything except lots of pump wagons. Soooo many pump wagons.
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

My experience so far withy them has been pretty vanilla. Lots of rats. LOTS. OF. RATS. And weapon teams. Warp fire Throwers, Poison Wind Mortars, Ratling Guns. Oh and Warplightning Cannons. Got an ethereal roadblock? No problem! All that stuff counts as magical! :D

Some of my favorite moments include a big block of slaves fleeing a charge then rallying on a 3 (which is their Ld) to reform right behind my enemy's bunker unit. My Warpfire Thrower has misfired every time I did a stand and shoot and every time I got the result where it runs in a random direction and explodes. And every time it went right into the enemy unit (or one near by).

It's also great when you get the Dreaded 13th spell off and turn his small, but elite and expensive unit of infantry into clanrats under your control. :D

As Dalamar said, they're just fun. And when you play them you have to go in understanding the random nature of the army. Now, that's not to say you can't minimize the randomness and play them competitively. But I find them the most fun when you have all that crazy random stuff. You tend to either wreck your opponent, or wreck yourself.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Veilose
Slave on the Altar

Post by Veilose »

OnG are always fun to play against just because of the amount of fun units they have.

Lizardmen are fun to paint and definitely a different play style but I'm a little biased since they were my main army for 3 editions...yet I always had the same builds. Core is definitely a little boring but never underestimate skinks and saurus warriors
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

I know what you mean mte...having an other army just for the fun of it is nice.
Next to my Main Dark Elves...i have a whole amry of Daemons...and a small army of Ogres.

Ogres...plays fast and simple....go in and smash...but your opponents will hate you even more if you can use the tactics you learned while playing DE.
Daemons...So many choices....your opponent will basically never know what you will bring... Nurgle..Khorne...Slaanesh...or even Tzeentch.
People always underestimate Slaanesh.... but if you are a Dark Elf player...this is actually very fun to use.

I borrowed a Skaven army from friends of mine...and played it 2 times...
A lot of fun....blowing up your own warmachines...The spells are NASTY..... Phoenix Guard a pain...with a 3+ ward save....not at all...i will easily kill 15-20 with them with one spell (Dreaded Thirteenth).... and you might like slaves as well...they dont do much in combat...but everyone can shoot at the unit your slaves are fighting...and against HE and DE.... the slaves will do more damage when they explode then when whey hit you ;-)
The one very big disadvantage.....having to cary and place hundreds of models on the board...just to fill your core infantry.

I've always liked Lizardmen....very beautifull models...interesting play style.... and very different tactics from us Dark Elves.... you will learn to love the high Initiative even more when you have tried Lizardmen. Lol...even Daemons of Nurgle are faster then them
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Pablo
Shade

Post by Pablo »

Run beastmen eh? No shooting, and you can model the army as goats and model your hooded bray shaman as asheperd. Call him mary or little bo peep or little red riding hood. Not a baaaaaaaahd army to consider.
Creating a Cult of Mathlann Army!