skaven any fun??

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

van Awful
Highborn

skaven any fun??

Post by van Awful »

As it says on the tin.
Im toying With the idea of adding a smal force to my 2 armies.
My 2nd army is empire and Id like to Bring something different to the table(and skaven is quite cheap on ebay and such). What do you guys think? my last experience Against them was in 6th ed. And i got my ass
handed to me!
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Dragon9
Assassin

Re: skaven any fun??

Post by Dragon9 »

Skaven are my second army. I love them. So I may be a bit biased. I love them for all their crazy contraptions and suicidal tendencies.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

You had better like painting, or have a friend that does. Slaves and clanrats, as far as the eye can see. :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

They are one of the armies that I keep toying with the idea of getting. But already have a night goblin second army for fun.
Horde armies are definitely a labour of love however, a lot of models to get through.
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

Skaven are a hilarious army to play, but you need a fairly think skin to handle them. Alot of the more fun things they have can turn around and bite you in the ass viciously
First time playing them i misplaced my Warplighting Cannon, it missfired and then shot a cannon ball straight through my own army ending in a unit of Slaves and continued to wipe them of the table after the blast template.
Another time i had my DoomRocket misfire and had it end up hitting my DoomWheel who then failed his control check and drove itself straight into a nearby building xD
or a Poison Wind Globe Bombadier throwing the Orb and thanks to the way it scatters actually landing behind the guy that threw it.
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

Thanks guys, i know i probably shouldnt do it. I have enough to paint as it is. But im reading dead winter and it got me really excited about these little critters.
Are slaves an absolute must?
Im planning for once to actually start a small force (1000 -1500 pts) instead of hoarding all i think is awesome.the IoB seems ideal.
Nec spe, nec metu

Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

Yes. Slaves are a must. Skaven work best when they're a horde. (Size, not formation) Slaves are there to tie up units and let your other units hit the flanks, be a roadblock, etc. Quite simply, you need numbers. The more bodies the better.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

Image Image
lil' fisty
Warrior

Post by lil' fisty »

I'm facing my friend who plays Skaven today, and they are indeed a fun army. The more the merrier is very correct. My friend has roughly 70 slaves and 110 clanrats for a nice solid core....

Slaves are perfect candidates for conversions. We actually made ours out of a mix of common goblins, wolf riders, empire militia and zombie units, all being driven forward by whip wielding clan moulder beast masters. The most outrageous conversion being the lovable "crotch demons" inhabiting the front ranks. Wolf rider legs with goblin heads and nothing more. Deranged Clan Moulder experiments gone horribly wrong (or right!) seems more fitting for a slave than another rat but that was just our opinion.

I like the army, but it is true that the painting is the worst. My friends Skaven are literally brown, red, flesh wash, metal in that order. We painted 30 in one night at one point hahaha. Massive assembly line style 15 each. looks like garbage individually, but as a whole it looks fine as a dirty rat bastard mess!

Thankfully clanrats are often cheap if they are purchase used, but all in all I say you want 50 rats for every 500 points. It's a costly army.
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

Skaven are a wonderfully fun army. And a nice change of place for when you play Dark Elves.

Skaven..when on the roll will just about flatten any army that they come in contact with.
However when the dice are against you....you don't even need your opponent to loose every one of your troops on the table.

Yes I've had a lot of fun when i borrowed a friends Skaven army ;-)
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

Well thanks guys, you pushed me over the edge.
Spend some time searching the web.
Ordered me a book, and ill be buying the IoB Box and selling of the asurcrap, all but the griffon! Wayland does a nice deal on it btw!
Slaves like lill fisty said, ill be making from all sorts of races! got enough stuff left over
There are no official models are there?
Nec spe, nec metu

Karond
Dark Rider

Post by Karond »

I wonder when the next skaven update will happen... It's got to be soon?
"The call for blood can only be answered in sundered flesh"
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

I was wondering the same thing! I reckon they would update Brets first, i my eyes the need the update more, model and rulewise. But with GW you never know. Beastmen is still 7th but that's it.
Nec spe, nec metu

Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

Skaven was the last 7th book, so they'd be a late book for 8th or a carryover to 9th most likely. As for slaves, no, no official models. However the clanrats models have two flavors: armored an dun armored. Me personally, I use the unarmored for slaves and armored for clanrats.

Image Image
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Dragon9 wrote:Me personally, I use the unarmored for slaves and armored for clanrats.

I think that's a fairly common practice.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

Back in 5th edition I played Skaven and have lots of old models (mostly unpainted) at my parents house that I will be looking to unload - Plague Rates, Plague Bearers, an Original Doomwheel, Original Screaming Bell, a Vermin Lord (I love that model so might hold onto it), some Special Characters, mono-pose Clanrats, some old command groups. A bulk purchase might be a good way to start your force - I will inventory them next time I am there.
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

Cheers man! That would be Great!
Nec spe, nec metu