The Last 3 Armies to Get the Update, Beasts, Brets, Skaven,)

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

The Last 3 Armies to Get the Update, Beasts, Brets, Skaven,)

Post by Saintofm »

So the year will be over in a little over five months and a new eddition is rumored to be on the way, with nearly all of the armies getting the revamp. This brings up a few points: While most have ( In No Particular order: 1. Empire, 2. Vampire , 3. Tomb Kings, 4. Daemons, 5. Warriors of Chaos, 6. High Elves, 7 Dark Elves, 8 Wood Elves, 9 Ogres, 10. Orcs and Goblins, and 11. Dwarves, )

That leaves 3 armies left to go:

1. Skaven
2. Beastmen
3. And Brettonia

Of the updated armies they usualy get some of the following, but never all of them:

*New Charecter Minies, for both unnamed and named, sometimes even a brand spaken new charecter.
*A specialized unamed charecter or 2 with weaker stats then the conventional well counded comander mini of a com;arable lord or hero but has some nifty tricks to even things out.
*Monsterous Units, namly infantry, cavalry, or beasts.
*Monsters, generaly some meant to kill things in mass and some meant to take one smaller more eleite groups or other monsters.
*A unit or three or five that has been plastic or never had a minie before gets new plastic or resin minies, often that be one thing or another and rarly both unless you know your way with rare earth magnets.
*Chariots; Chariots and special spiffy chariots with magical abilities for as far as the eye can see!
*A fan calling foul
*Other

As what I can see with them at the moment:

I think it might be it might be like with warriors of chaos where units you had to kitbash togeqather before (weapon crews) will largly get more minies in the same veins of Forsaken, while a new unit will double as them. This will most likly be with any pewter or finecast they still have left.

Monster and monsterous wise, I can think of clan Skyre and definitly Clan Maulder trying something, either a mechanical terror or a Lovecraftian horror.

Beastmen: Again, more or the same. Maybe tuskigore fast cavalry with ungores if they are desperate, but for the most part I can see them getting their exhisting pewter and resin modles getting new plastic kits, with named champions mostly becoming hero level charecters, and a few named charectgers getting models. The fhariot will be the big one. I would also like to see beast men get trolls again as they are beasts and fit will with beastmen.

Brettonia: See the fanmade one where we get the fan Cathay adn Ind books and gleam stuff off of that. Make pegasus riding charecters capable of joining other pegasi knights.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: The Last 3 Armies to Get the Update, Beasts, Brets, Skav

Post by Daeron »

I see the monster and giant gallore improve for Beastmen. It's the best army to do so. Right now they have a very fine selection of monsters, very few of which actually work. I see that improve with a new model or two. Some of their kits are still on par, so they might stick around for another edition. I expect a bit more synergy with their lore.
So, more brawn, more combat buffing and perhaps a unit or two of cavalry that is workable :P

Other than that, I think the Beastmen army should have one of the widest selection of hero or lord models. No two beastmen look alike, with a wildl variety in features and style. If it were up to me, I'd have them released with a small, but usable set of special characters and release more every X months. Add in a scenario with troll hunting or tribal wars, and you have a scenario that would suit the lore of over half the armies.

Anyhow.. I look forward to a new Beastmen book. I think the old one could use the update direly. I don't know the other armies well enough to know how badly they need a fix.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Re: The Last 3 Armies to Get the Update, Beasts, Brets, Skav

Post by Haagrum »

If they maintain the same theme from the previous army books for 8th edition, the theme will be multiple viable builds.

For Bretonnians, hopefully this will mean the possibility of a non-Knights army. Some decent anti-cavalry/MC infantry units would be a good inclusion as well, IMHO.

For Beastmen, hopefully there will be some faster gribblies and some decent monstrous cavalry. It'd be great to see Beastmen as a strong counter for Wood Elves, referencing some of the old lore about the two factions. I'd also like to see some magic which increases their speed and combat potential.

As for the Skaven... a few things need toning down (the Dreaded 13th Spell as an example), and their weapons teams need to either drop in points or have better protection. However, as a former Skaven player, I think the rats have a hell of a lot of viable builds already (at least, compared to 3rd/4th ed).
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."