harry talks on end times

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

van Awful
Highborn

harry talks on end times

Post by van Awful »

Not sure if this is legit, but Harry is known for his rumors on Warseer.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/09/bombshell-harry-talks-end-times-for.html

So there are still 2 on 3 more books to come, and lucky us the next one is supposed to be on druchii. Will we finally get a new Witchking/morathi/Malus models?
After that skaven (and chaos) seem to get a book, giving them a chance to destroy anything left standing by the undead and dark elves.

And then what?

An alternitave way of playing WHFB? smaller games without just lowering points allowances?I'm all for it!(9th being a sort of skirmish game has been rumored before, but i see smaller scale games as something that could happen)

I still think 8th is maybe the best one i played so far(started at 5th), and i'd be happy to keep playing this edition for normal, bigger games. Especially with al these end times stuff comming out (and let's not forget the allready existing SoM, T&T and blood of Sigmar).

So do we really need an update on WHFB as it is, isn't 8 editions enough allready?
I allready struggle with rules sometimes;
"I think you are not allowed to do that, not quite sure if its in this edition or 6th though, ill have to look it up "

To be honest if 9th turns out to be just a tweaked versions of WHFB as it has always been the case. I dont think ill be buying it.
I have small gaming group, so we houseruled steadfast, and are not complete douches when it comes to TLOS.
These are the only things wrong with this edition IMHO. So i, for one, am hoping on this new setting.
Any thoughts?
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Re: harry talks on end times

Post by Mikael.k »

Smaller games means fewer models, and GW wants to sell as much as they can. Doesnt seem like a very smart choice IMO. Just look at all the other skirmish type games they have tried with earlier (mordheim for instance), they were very shortlived.

End times in all its glory, but to have fluff dictate one to have fewer models doesnt seem all that likely to me :)
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I was pondering the next 'End Times' book yesterday evening, when I noticed a great big '1' on the box set sleeve.

I am quite happy on how the fluff is progressing, many a change to the status quo of the last few years without completely throwing out Storm of Chaos events. Some changes, yes, but no longer a ridiculous ending.

I agree that it is unlikely to be a case of 9th is just a skirmish game; but rules for small games could easily be added into a rulebook with little effort, or if they feel the need as an expansion book for some more of my cash.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

@ Mikael.k
Disagree, I think it's a smart choice.
Steadfast in WH 8th leads to larger armies, which is good for selling more to those who are already customers - but only to them; once they reached the desired size, they need not to buy anything anymore (that's my case).
However, it creates too heavy a toll for new customers to enter the game, and for old ones to start a new army.
In order to get new, young (and poor) customers into the Hobby, GW needs to allow small games to be attractive. These sall games must allow a continuity to ever larger games, 8th ed style.
Skirmisher games can do that. Herohammer with 50% allocation to heroes goes in the same direction.
Similarly, allowing all spellcaster to raise dead incites all gamers to start a new army of undeads. Also, going back to an alliance system where a small foreign party can be added to a large army is certainly the best way to encourage old gamers to start new armies - especially if the alliance allows any AB to use any other AB as ally.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

I am not buying any End of Times books. They are just campaigns my friends and tournament organizers will never use. So just a big waste of money if I got them. We are waiting for the Bretonnians to be released.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Considering the creation of the hoard formation not to long ago, I doubt they intend to go small.

I can see it, but the game is about grand armies. You are taking on Helms Deep or holding off the Saxons level of battle, not smaller skirmisher type stuff. At this point its too late to compete with what privateer press does in that regard so find something else.

Yes, a number of units are going that rout with 10 man a unit that that tends to be the case the last few times.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Gidean wrote:I am not buying any End of Times books. They are just campaigns my friends and tournament organizers will never use. So just a big waste of money if I got them. We are waiting for the Bretonnians to be released.

If they base the new book on the timeline of the new fluff, it is going to look interesting. Won't say more without spoilers.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

At this point its too late to compete with what privateer press does in that regard so find something else.

Warmahordes has increasingly moved away from skirmish level battles too, sadly. Malifaux is the same. Unfortunately, to stay commercially successful, mini manufacturers generally have to keep gradually escalating scale, in order that you keep on buying minis. Warhammer is also part of this trend - the only way that we will see warhammer go back to being small is if they totally scrap the existing ranges and start again OR if they create an entirely new game system to run parallel. Both seem unlikely, but you never know.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

Gidean wrote:I am not buying any End of Times books. They are just campaigns my friends and tournament organizers will never use. So just a big waste of money if I got them. We are waiting for the Bretonnians to be released.

But then you miss out on that wonderful 290 page book of all fluff! Then again, if you don't care about that then no worries. :D One of the latest rumors I've heard is the next book is Chaos, not Malekith. (Booo!) But supposedly it may have an updated Cult of Slaanesh list in it. (YAAAAAY!!!) We will see, but if the Cult makes an official return i will be a happy happy gamer.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

We will see what happens....
I don't think Warhammer Fantasy will go for Skirmish style games.... they already have 40K for that.

And as for the campaings that will be released....If the boxes are nice...i will probably buy them...just to have a good read.

As for the 9th edition release... I will just have to wait and see....I just hope they don't raise the characters to 50% there standard...
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I think this is just a sign of things to come really. The goal is selling models and what better way than keeping people interested? Certainly, they'll keep the option available for those large 4-hour lasting games. But many times, people want a fluent, quick paced game with an attractive setting/style.
That's why new books are released at intervals with new shiny models, made to lure in people. The end of times keeps people interested by creating new options.... each option coming with a few impressive looking models you just want to buy.

Next thing you know.. you spent another 100 bucks on a few awesome looking models that probably won't be used one year from here. Not that it's become unusable, but simply because that model is tied to a fun, exhilerating campaign that had its time and there's something new and shiny waiting at the store which is the buzz of the quarter.

Think card games, like MTG.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

It would be nice if GW brought back their smaller games as something more than one-offs. Blood Bowl and Necromunda (my personal favourite) would be good games to compete with those other mini companies that are making smaller, cheaper (for now) games.

GW need to consider "entry level" games to get people interested.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

I think the Warhammer IP is about to be overhauled. Bringing in all kinds of new writers, supposed to be a Chaos and also Malekith ET kinda books. I'd like to see CoS come back. I could see Chaos coming together again under a single book. They could do it with others; do away with allies and instead put like 3 armies in each book, make like 5 books per edition. Huge changes to the game and its stories are coming. I don't treat Nagash as an opponent's permission kind of book, but like anything it's up to your group/tournament.

I dunno, but I wouldn't treat End Times as just a campaign.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Fr0 wrote:
I dunno, but I wouldn't treat End Times as just a campaign.

You're absolutely right - it clearly says it changes the core warhammer rules for characters (We're back in 5th ed now :P ).

I wouldn't want them to merge the Chaos armies (even though Undead Legions are unconditionally better than VC or TK) since the 3 components are so diverse. I've seen GW make so many mistakes with that style of Chaos - 4th and 5th ed were pretty bland, you either had elite infantry, fear-causing infantry or 2 wound infantry with little to no special rules. 6th ed's Hordes of Chaos left Daemons as an afterthought that barely stood up by themselves and left the way open for too many knights.

Chaos as a whole has too many units for them to adequately balance in a single book.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Is there anything fluff base that would be interesting for any of the elf armies?
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Saintofm wrote:Is there anything fluff base that would be interesting for any of the elf armies?

To be honest about the only thing in this book is a couple of pages about Malekith and an invasion to the north by a Khorne horde. Also some hints that Teclis is in contact with Malekith and they have an arrangement. I can summarise more fully if anyone is interested when I get home and have the book in front of me.
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Amboadine wrote:
Saintofm wrote:Is there anything fluff base that would be interesting for any of the elf armies?

To be honest about the only thing in this book is a couple of pages about Malekith and an invasion to the north by a Khorne horde. Also some hints that Teclis is in contact with Malekith and they have an arrangement. I can summarise more fully if anyone is interested when I get home and have the book in front of me.

See...this is what I mean. GW gave Mr. King a license to use Tyrion and Teclis in his books. He wrote very deep characters for both of them. Then the little amateur writers in Design totally ignore this and make Teclis a completely different individual. The Teclis Mr. King wrote about would never do this crap! !mad! So I either have to throw out the lore developed by Mr. King in his trilogy about Tyrion and Teclis or toss out this nonsense from GW Design. I choose the later. :P

I'm still waiting to see how the Tournament Organizers are going to view this new material. Something tells me the Legion of Undeath and the new special characters, troops, magic lore and 50% Lord allotment will not be recognized as official. Anybody know what the ETC is doing with it?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Blood and Glory in the UK allows the end times in their entirety.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

To which I'll be going, with my Dark Elves no less!

It'll be double Warlock/Lore of Death filth, too.* Stay tuned to my battle reports thread, where I'll be sure to write up a full report.

*Actually, it might be double Warlock/Lore of Metal lesser Filth, I haven't quite decided yet.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Clockwork wrote:
It'll be double Warlock/Lore of Death filth, too.* Stay tuned to my battle reports thread, where I'll be sure to write up a full report.

*Actually, it might be double Warlock/Lore of Metal lesser Filth, I haven't quite decided yet.

Either way, sounds awesome! :P
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Mentioned above that I would give a summary. Seems someone has already done the work.
Link below pretty much sums everything up nicely. Massive spoilers however.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer/comments/2fs7iz/nagash_end_times_discussion_spoilers/
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Dalamar wrote:Blood and Glory in the UK allows the end times in their entirety.

How about any in the States? :?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Nothing major at the moment though I won't be surprised if Adepticon lets it in.
7th edition army book:

Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Dalamar wrote:Nothing major at the moment though I won't be surprised if Adepticon lets it in.

Why? Seems so anti-balancing. Most T.O.'s abhor the idea of more characters. We don't usually allow special lords for the most part here which they do with impunity in Britain.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Because Adepticon has always been an "bring all yer filth" type of event.

The game is balanced enough if you use all the rules (especially looking at scenarios).
7th edition army book: