1,500 Eldar, Saim-hain.

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Mc warhammer
Highborn

1,500 Eldar, Saim-hain.

Post by Mc warhammer »

Hi, this army is pretty much immune to close combat, and should be good at shooting if I concentrate everything on one flank of the enemy army. I should have problems with IW thow, mainley the obliterators. Also necrons should be hard. All in all I shoot off 50 strength 6 or better shots a turn :-)

Farseer, singing spear, runes of warding, runes of witnessing, spirit stones, eldar jetbike, doom, guide.

Autarch, eldar jetbike, lazer lance, mandiblaster, reaper launcher.

3 jetbikes, cannon.

3 jetbikes, cannon.

3 jetbikes, cannon.

3 jetbikes, cannon.

3 jetbikes, cannon.

Vyper, 2 shruken cannons.

Vyper, 2 shruken cannons, spirit stones.

Falcon, starcannon, shruken cannon, vectored engines, holo-fields, spirit stones.

Fire prism, cannon, vectored engines, holo-fields, spirit stones.

Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Its not bad, if a little annoying perhaps, and in escalation, you may have issues even with the autarch when rolling for your reserves. I love the idea for sure, but there is a great deal of min maxing going on that won't win you many comp points. Also, I tend to disagree on the immune to CC point as I think a quick enough army will incinerate those jetbikes pretty quickly - you can't jump around forever. There's no doubt about it though, is a good solid list with a strong theme attached to it. I'm not too sure how useful guide is going to be for you though as a farseer power. The best thing to "cast" it on that I can see is going to be a vyper, and that's actually kind of sad. Doom is going to be fantastic, that's for sure though.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Godlikeii
Executioner

Post by Godlikeii »

well, keep in mind your whole army exept HQ and fire prisms have BS 3, so about half your shots will miss.. ^^
Chaos = Charge.. no tactics... :D
Niterabbit
Rabbit Solitaire
Location: Posing as a member of Team Shenanigans, or with Rork, Loki, DP, Cal, Silas, Geo, and Morn

Post by Niterabbit »

This is for the UK, yes? Comp rules don't really apply here in general so lists can generally be as harsh as anyone feels they need to be. As for the list itself...

Farseer, singing spear, runes of warding, runes of witnessing, spirit stones, eldar jetbike, doom, guide.

I'm not sure that Guide will help much in an army that has more shooting than you can shake a stick at. Anything that isn't multiple shot in this army is BS4 and/or twin-linked anyway so it's not really necessary. On the other hand, I can't see Doom being that useful either because your weapons are wounding most things on 2's anyway. Between Doom and Guide, I'd probably take Guide or consider something like Eldritch Storm (I can't remember the range right now so don't quote me on this) for spinning tanks around to hit their rear armour.

Autarch, eldar jetbike, lazer lance, mandiblaster, reaper launcher.

Good, but again, I would drop the Laser Lance and Mandiblaster as they really aren't necessary for this kind of Autarch, especially when you probably don't want him to go charging in anyway. These upgrades put him at odds with the effective range of his Reaper Launcher. If you want to take something else, dropping these would take priority. Perhaps for Spirit Stones on your Vypers?

3 jetbikes, cannon.

3 jetbikes, cannon.

3 jetbikes, cannon.

3 jetbikes, cannon.

3 jetbikes, cannon.

Good.

Vyper, 2 shruken cannons, spirit stones.

I'm surprised that these have Shuriken Cannons instead of Starcannons. They still work fairly well at BS3 even with the 1 less shot and would help when dealing with 9 Oblit armies. Also, make sure they get Spirit Stones.

Falcon, starcannon, shruken cannon, vectored engines, holo-fields, spirit stones.

Good, but I cannot help but feel that the Falcon's transport capacity isn't being well-utilised. I suppose there's not much more you can add to the list but I wonder whether a unit of Fire Dragons wouldn't help in dealing with both Necrons and Iron Warriors. You could drop a couple of Jetbike units plus some of the unnecessary upgrades to your Farseer and Autarch and still keep with the Saim-Hann theme.
Damnation wrote:If you're too tired to read your codex, you're too tired to post.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Well, I'd drop doom or guide and the spirit stones from the farseer - you don't really need both, and you're just upping the chances of getting PotW. At the moment he's too expensive.

From my experience with bike heavy eldar armies (Mine isn't quite so "spammy"), armies like nids will hunt you down - they have enough units with enough numbers to corral you into one portion of the table (+lictors) and take out your bikes. I'd recommend a combat unit that can at least make a decent breakout attempt against that sort of army.

I've also been finding that vectored engines aren't all too useful. They're nice, but not vital.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Snigub
Trainee Warrior

Post by Snigub »

try scatter laser instead of shuriken cannon on the viper´s
kill-kill-fast.

Good.....bad.... im the guy with the gun
Lordofthenight
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Lordofthenight »

snigub wrote:try scatter laser instead of shuriken cannon on the viper´s
No, I'd stay with Shruiken Cannon. It's 10 pts cheaper, and is AP 5 as opposed to AP 6. Though shorter ranger, and less shots, it balances out in my opinion, especially on a Vyper.
Punishment leads to Fear. Fear leads to Obedience. Obedience leads to Freedom. Therefore, Punishment leads to Freedom.

Kuyoz Nightkiller
WS: 4 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Repeater Crossbow, Short Sword, Shade Cloak, Light Armour
5 throwing daggers, 90gc
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

You should consider taking some Shining Spears - perfectly in character, and useful for the sort of breakout thing Rork mentioned.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Moridin_nae'blis
Beastmaster

Post by Moridin_nae'blis »

plus the brightlances will help you with tanks. I don't see anything else for that sort of stuff.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

I'm baaaaack!
Stickman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Stickman »

I'd also have to agree with taking Shining Spears. Cool models and good to boot. I personally say drop the reaper launcher and stick him with the Spears. On the charge you'll have an Autarch of doom with 6 Str. 6 power weapon attacks along with the other riders and the Exarch. It will prove to be more than a match for many units. Oh and sorry Moridin but you can't give Brightlances to the Exarchs of Shining Spears anymore. But I there shouldn't be any problem with tanks, he's got 2 fire prisms that can take care of AV 14 and shoot into each other for even added support. And then he has enough str. 6 weapons to take down any number of light armored vechicles, especially since they have the manouverability of being on bikes.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Shining spear exarchs can also take a shuriken cannon (which I hadn't noticed until recently), and you could take the vectored engines off the prisms to get them cannons too.

It can still be bristling with high strength guns with a "breakout" unit included :D.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++