Converting Word Bearers

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

What models should I use?

Just the plastic CSP boxed set
17%
Just the SP veterans and Sword bretheren
No votes
Combine the other two
67%
Other
17%

Total votes: 6

Neferata
Cold One Knight

Converting Word Bearers

Post by Neferata »

Hi guys,
After almost 2 years with nothing but IG to convert and paint I've decided to start a second 40k army. As the topic might reveal I'm thinking about word Bearers. I son't own the new Chaos Codex but my choice is strictly fluff based :). But I have a problem... I want to convert my Traitors so that they look like the Word Bearer shown in the chaos section in the 40k BSB. You know the Word Bearer guy with a powerfist and bolt pistol :P. I simply loved him. It'll take some green stuff modeling etc but my real question is which models to use. I want each and everyone of them to be individualistic (I wonder if that word exists)... I thought of using the black templar sword bretheren models and perhaps the new space marine veterans shown at sneak peak. But I'm not sure. Otherwise I'd just buy the Chaos space marine boxed set and try to make every model uniq, even though I don't like the new helmets they have. Or perhaps I should combine SP veterans with a Chaos boxed set? I really don't know what to do guys XD, so any help and thoughts would be very appreciated :). Thanks in advance!

N.
Dear Druchii and fellow gamers,
What part of; "Thou shalt not kill" did you not understand?

Scandinavia Alp Hunters
W 10; D; 4 L; 2
The_everchosen
Beastmaster
Location: Trying to think of something witty to put in this box

Post by The_everchosen »

Just a quick point - I don't think the 9 legions are going to be in the new codex, but I'm sure you can just use them as 'normal' chaos marines. The new Chaos marine box set looks like it'll have even more parts for conversions so that would be good, with the sword brethren as sergeants etc.m I think the old chaos marines have several spare heads, so you could always get a pack of the old ones before they are taken off the shelf and use the helmets from there.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it - Winston Churchill
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

There are in deed no rules for any of the legions in the new codex.
Neferata
Cold One Knight

Post by Neferata »

Just a quick point - I don't think the 9 legions are going to be in the new codex,

Thank you, then I know. However it doesn't bother me that much.. I'm choosing word Bearers for the fluff :). As sergeants you say? That could be an idea.. I was thinking about using the Houron Blackheart model as sergeant also.. Got d*** I love that model :P! Please correct me if I'm wrong... But doesn't the sword bretheren models look bigger than usual CSM? I mean, they are standing in a more upright position and has got more details.. Don't you think it would look weird if you combine them :)? Just a thoought.. Thank you again for the advice!

N.
Dear Druchii and fellow gamers,
What part of; "Thou shalt not kill" did you not understand?

Scandinavia Alp Hunters
W 10; D; 4 L; 2
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

i have OLD space marines that are alot smaller than the newer ones, the size only matters if its a display army, if your on the battle feild, one or two different sized models don't make a difference.

When i converted regular marines to chaos (yes, word bearers as well) I took alot of spiked bits from my dark eldar bitz box to make my marines spikier, it work well if you don't overdue it

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Loran
Destroyer of Worlds
Location: Finland, the country people always think has penguins and polar bears walking in the streets...

Post by Loran »

With the new Codex and models, I'm planning on starting another Chaos army. This time I'm going for a themed army and guess what? Yes! Word Bearers! :D Having painted a load of Night Lords and Iron Warriors, I'm thinking of getting some more red minis next to my beloved Blood Angels :)

And if you're converting Imperial Space Marines to Chaos, then you have to either deface/destroy the Imperial Eagle and other Imperial icons, or remove them completely.

- Loran
<+Hyarion> "Loran may cause addiction to mindless online games"

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Akimoto
Noble

Post by Akimoto »

Does this mean i can't have an entire army of infiltrating alpha legion any more... the whole conversion thing was sooo much easier for me, as the fluff says that they still wore the imperial eagle and all that jazz, to taunt the good guys.

but yeah, not that hard to make them look evil, add some spikes, different shoulder pads and helmets its all good. And for the sword brethren idea, I am currently using one as my Lord so, it works
Yori Temel -- group 22

WS5 / S4 / T5 / D4 / I4

Equipment - Repeater crossbow, double-bladed spear, Light Armour, Heavy armour, helm, spiky vambraces, (stored: Zukhil sword, Shield)
Skills - Awareness, basic heal
Other: 1831gc, The Dragons Eye Amulet, Talisman of light, Healing Talisman, 15x healing balms, boots, gloves, woolen cloak, hatchet, backpack, rope, a Flint and Tinder, bedroll.