1500 Tourney tau help, responses, ideas

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

The cake is a lie!!!
Slave on the Altar

1500 Tourney tau help, responses, ideas

Post by The cake is a lie!!! »

I don't know how many of you are going to the great devour this sunday, but i am. My original intention was to take DE for WFB (i know i turned its being a triator, i know) but still i looked through the tau codex and worked out some pretty nasty list (in theory). Anyway what do you think. all comments and suggestions welcome.

Shas'o
Plasma rifle
AFB
Multi t

2 crisis bodyguard
HW target lock
HW multi tracker
Twin fusion blaster
flamer

3 crisis
Burst cannons
Plasma rifles
multi trackers

3 crisis
Burst cannons
Plasma rifles
multi trackers

3 crisis
misslie pods
plasma rifles
multi trackers

12 firewarios + devil - 200

12 firewarrios + devil - 200

Hammerhead
railgun
burst cannons
target lock
multi tracker

The plan is to use the fastness of it and shoot the closest thing to me and jump about, although i stll have 147 left tp spare, i was thinking of using them on drones as they are amzing, although underated at times. any ideas.

I don't think i have stepped over the rules have i??? regarding points cost.

I think this is a good army, although as i made the list, i think its really good, it might not be i just want to know what armies this might struggle against, after all every army has the 'dooms day' army which will completly own it, but still any ideas.
Jenova210
Trainee Warrior

Post by Jenova210 »

Regards the devilfish, i suggest you use them the set up fire "corridors" or "points" once you men can get good shots at most of the enemy, leave them there - unless the stand a chance of getting killed in close combat etc. Also dont foget that you can mount seeker missiles on the devilfish, this is dead useful! Also Broadside battlesuits are amazing. I feild tau and I cnat emphasise there use!
Praise be to khaine...
The griefbringer
Cold One Knight

Re: 1500 Tourney tau help, responses, ideas

Post by The griefbringer »

First let me offer some specific suggestions

The cake is a lie!!! wrote:Shas'o
Plasma rifle
AFB
Multi t

Not a fan of this load-out for a couple reasons. First, the plasma rifle and AFP do not complement one another at all. One is for heavy infantry/light vehicles, and the other is for closely packed light infantry. A better mix might be the Cyclic Ion Blaster and the Plasma--keeps the rate of fire up for hordes, but has some serious potential to kill Terminators and the like. Second, a Shas'o is a waste of points--you are paying for an extra wound and an extra point of BS, and then some other stats you will never use.

Take him as a Shas'el, give him a Targeting Array, Hardwire the Multi, and take the Cyclic, and you've just saved 20 points for absolutely no appreciable drawback.

2 crisis bodyguard
HW target lock
HW multi tracker
Twin fusion blaster
flamer

Ordinarily I am very much against Crisis Bodyguards, as you are paying 10 points extra apiece for no real benefit. Since you are going crisis-heavy, however, I understand. What I would do is, again, keep an eye on effeciency. For one thing, these guys don't support your Commander that well--he isn't kitted for tank killing, and they are. Either give the Commander a fusion blaster (in which case he gets a Missile Pod as his other weapon to help with the tank-busting), or give these guys something else. You seem to expect that this unit of suits is going to be needed to kill both infantry and tanks and heavy infantry, which is not the case. Each unit in your army should be kitted to deal with a specific threat. These guys need a job.

If you keep it as 'tank killing', drop the multitrackers--you will never need to shoot a flamer and a fusion blaster at the same thing. Keep in mind, though, that giving crisis suits fusion blasters is like saying to your opponent 'I am giving you X victory points in the form of this squad'. I don't recommend this job for expensive Shas'vres and a Shas'o/el.

3 crisis
Burst cannons
Plasma rifles
multi trackers

3 crisis
Burst cannons
Plasma rifles
multi trackers

3 crisis
misslie pods
plasma rifles
multi trackers

Decent load-outs. I like Stealths more than XV8s, but whatever floats your boat.

12 firewarios + devil - 200

12 firewarrios + devil - 200

Decoy Launchers on the Fish. Otherwise I like these just fine.

Hammerhead
railgun
burst cannons
target lock
multi tracker

Again, Decoy Launchers are definitely warranted. For such a cheap item, if you use them even once they have paid for themselves dozens of times over.

The thing this list is lacking is effective anti-tank potential. Your Shas'vre unit will not work very well, since you have to either Deep Strike (which is difficult to manage) or jump up the field, which means you will likely be assaulted before getting into kill-range of any tank worth shooting.

My advice is swap the Fireknife squad (the Plasma/Missile pods Suits) with the current Shas'vres. Drop the Fusion suits entirely and get yourself a trio of piranha with fusion blasters. This nets you 6 drones (plus the 4 from the Devilfish) AND gives you a speedy and pretty effective way to deliver fusion to enemy armor. Take them as 3 seperate choices, however, as doing otherwise will limit their effectiveness.

As for drones, I am only a fan of them when you get them for free (i.e. on vehicles). The ones you pay for aren't worth it.

In general this list looks good, but not as streamlined as I usually like my Tau.

Good luck in the tourney!
"Since men love at their own pleasure and fear at the pleasure of the prince, a wise prince should build his foundation upon that which belongs to him, not upon that which belogs to others."

--Machiavelli

Raiding Tally: 173 Slaves, 15 Banners
Harabec
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Harabec »

Given proper terrain to screen your suits you will have a very good run at VP denial with all the jumppacks, but you are seriously lacking any antitank power.

I never deal in the bodyguard as they are more costly for CC stats they should never be using. Would drop these entierly and just stick the commander in one of the other units if you should need. Also on the commander issue. I personally will use the Shas'O many times but not if you plan on using the AFB. The main reasons for having a Sha'O are the BS and extra wound. As the AFB doesn't rely on BS then just use the EL, or change his weapons load.

Free up some points with this will allow for some better anti-tank in either piranhas with fusion, or Broadsides with ASS, as your seriously lacking as is.
The griefbringer
Cold One Knight

Post by The griefbringer »

If buying the Shas'o for the BS, consider buying a Shas'el with a Targeting Array. Same BS but cheaper, and the loss of a hardpoint really doesn't hurt that much.
"Since men love at their own pleasure and fear at the pleasure of the prince, a wise prince should build his foundation upon that which belongs to him, not upon that which belogs to others."

--Machiavelli

Raiding Tally: 173 Slaves, 15 Banners