500 pts of eldar

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Tich
Highborn

500 pts of eldar

Post by Tich »

Hi all i've developed my first eldar list, i'm planning to use it in a few moinths in a small tornement at my school.

HQ- Autarch-shuriken pistol, plasma grenades, haywire grenades, force shield, mandiblasters, power weapon, avenger shuriken catapult
total 92 points

TROOPS

12 gaurdians, warlock with embolden, scatter laser
total- 136 points

12 guardians with a shuriken cannon
total- 101 points

5 dire avengers, exarch with two shuriken catapults and blade storm abilty
total- 92 points (autarch goes with this unit)

HEAVY SUPPORT
1 war walker- star cannon and scatter laser
total- 70 points

ARMY total- 496 points

i would appreciate any advice anyone could give me on my army, the oppenents that I know i'll be facing are- space wolves, dark and blood angels, tau or imperial guard, another eldar player, necrons, maybe daemon hunters.
"I have this magic sword, it kills people when you stick it in them"
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Re: 500 pts of eldar

Post by Mr. anderson »

Demendred wrote:HQ- Autarch-shuriken pistol, plasma grenades, haywire grenades, force shield, mandiblasters, power weapon, avenger shuriken catapult
total 92 points

typical low-point leader, no objections, except: i would give him a power weapon - you seem to be playing quite a few space marine armies and a power weapon always comes handy in such cases

TROOPS

total- 136 points

no comments - personally i don´t use guardians, except one unit of ten storm guardians because i find them a bit useless: if you get into range with your shuricen catapults you will be assaulted next turn. and if you are assaulted, you will be bound in combat until you´re wiped out - a huge waist of points, IMO. but apparently they can work, otherwise people wouldn´t use them ;). just consider this: a normal ork boy is two points less than an eldar guardian, yet he has a weapon with the same strenght as a shuricen catapult with a better range, is fearless, has furious charge and two attacks...

total- 101 points

same as above - i would take two units of rangers instead

with the autarch this will become your most fearsome unit, protect it well!

HEAVY SUPPORT
total- 70 points

with two star cannons it would be far more effective, considering the amount of marines you will be playing.

ARMY total- 496 points

looks like you have taken the battle force, have you?

i would advise to take something hard-hitting against tanks into this army. consider using a unit of fire dragons instead of the war walker and the unit of guardians without a warlock - your firepower means that your opponent will have to come to you. and that means that your fire warriors will most certainly have some fun. also, if you ask me an autarch on jetbike with a laser lance always is nice - consider getting a jetbike for him instead of the war walker - 6 S6 attacks in 500 points are nothing to be sniffed at, and neither is a model with T4 and WS6. if you have bought all this already it would be pointless for me to post what i would take, but if not i can give you my list, if you like.

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
The cake is a lie!!!
Slave on the Altar

Post by The cake is a lie!!! »

could always take 2 basic units of rangers and then take a leader(basic autarch), then a fire prisim with all the nasty upgrades, tyhen just move it 12 a turn and itll be pratilcly invincilble with all hte eldar upgrades and stuff. If you have and points left over you could always upgrade the rangers to pathfinders??
MERGH belley gonna eat ya
Eeeeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Eeeeron »

Main thing you're missing is some anti-tank weapons which you'll need against guard and possibly tau as well.

Think bright lances or possibly some fire dragons.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Bring on the dancing squirrels!

Consolecommunity.com - For all your gaming chat and meet-ups
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Mr Anderson- 2 starcannons arnt that great- it just becomes 1 twin star cannon.
Geejo
Slave (off the Altar)

Re: 500 pts of eldar

Post by Geejo »

Demendred wrote:
HQ- Autarch-shuriken pistol, plasma grenades, haywire grenades, force shield, mandiblasters, power weapon, avenger shuriken catapult
total 92 points

a good commander but seen as you have haywire grenades i take it your going close to a tank so i would take a fusion gun instead of the avenger shruiken catapult.

TROOPS

total- 136 points

total- 101 points

for these squads you are going to be facing ap 5 weapons so for warlocks i would take conceal. keep away from tau but the only reason i take a squad of these is for the platform.

good

HEAVY SUPPORT
total- 70 points

with no tank killing guns i would replace a scatter laser with a bright lance

ARMY total- 496 points

decent army list but instead of a guardian squad i would have a wraithlord or some banshees most normal strength guns could not hurt a wraithlord but keep away from snipers. Good for banshees seen as a lot of marine players their power weapons would come in handy
[/i]
geejo

92% of teens like rap. Copy this into your signature if you are part of the 8% with taste.

i agree deumus!
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Demetrius the Betrayer wrote:Mr Anderson- 2 starcannons arnt that great- it just becomes 1 twin star cannon.

No, it doesn't.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Demetrius the Betrayer wrote:Mr Anderson- 2 starcannons arnt that great- it just becomes 1 twin star cannon.

Damnation is right. You're thinking of the Wraithlord. Double weapons don't become twin-linked unless its specifically states so in the unit's entry.

As to the list, perhaps you'd try a Farseer with Guide or Doom. It would vastly improve your shooting and wounding ability.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

i think its always fun to field two wraith lords in low point games. people often get shocked by it and then you can cause some damage with other units. fill your troops with as few rangers as poss, and then take fire dragons and banshee's. personally i prefer striking scorpions, but when it comes down to it there not as good against most armies. but thats just me.

as for your list. i would go for two star cannons. when it comes down to it you can attempt to take down tanks, and with only 500 points chances are you won't see high values, or chew through marines. I often use walkers, cause there relatively cheap, and can pack a punch. you my wish to remove the second unit of guardians in favour of something with more punch, but you my struggle with points. 2bh, you should just play with what you have/want to play with and then learn as you play. then change it for next time.
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Eeeeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Eeeeron »

i think its always fun to field two wraith lords in low point games. people often get shocked by it

There's a reason for being shocked, it's a little against the general background of the army as wraithlords are only supposed to be deployed in times of great need in larger battles. One you oculd justify as being part of a small force that engages the enemy but two is really pushing your luck.

Tich
Highborn

Post by Tich »

This is going to be embarrising but i must admit that I have never read the 40k rule book, while I have picked up most of the rules can someone please tell me how ranger weapons work and what circumstances they work well in.
Manticoreslair
Shade

Post by Manticoreslair »

Well our eldar sniper weapons always hit on 2's.
rolls to hit of a 6 become AP1.
and all hits wound on 4's regardless of toughness.
and against tanks you roll 2 dice and add this together, EG a roll of 6 and 4 becomes 10, glance against anything armour 10.
if upgraded to pathfinders rolls to hit of 5 or 6 become AP1 instead of just 6's
Also the weapons are pinning
its all or nothin

strike hard, strike fast

then run like hell!!
Tich
Highborn

Post by Tich »

thanks manticoreslair, they sound better than I thought they'd be.
Manticoreslair
Shade

Post by Manticoreslair »

they are awesome,
in 500 points i would take, based on wot you have

autarch, jump pack, power weapon, melta gun, mandiblasters
10 guardians, starcannon warlock conceal
unit of pathfinders.
war walker w/ 2 cannons

not sure of total points, cuz im at work and cant remember exact points
any room for upgrades or dire avengers? take them
its all or nothin

strike hard, strike fast

then run like hell!!
Tich
Highborn

Post by Tich »

Ok my new list is this

HQ-
Autarch- basic wargear except he has a power weapon and death spinner- total= 85points

he will be going with the dire avengures as my main unit to draw the enemy in and then get the hell out.

ELITE-
5 fire dragons- total 80 points

this guys are here to take out any enemy armour they have, and if they don't take any vehicles I don't think 5 strength 8 shots are anything to sneer at.

Troops-
6 dire avengers, one upgraded to exarch with two shuriken catapults- total= 89points

This unit will accompany the autarch and provide him with better defence, as I have never played with eldar before I can only guess at how well they will do but I estimate one maybe two turns of shooting before its time to get out of the way.

5 pathfinders- total 120 points

5 pathfinders- total 120 points

These guys are my killers, hide in the shadows (building and cover) and pick off the enemy one by one, they will try to keep their heads down while the enemy chase my autarch and slowly get into position.

Total points= 494

My general plan is based on the battle field my friends and I play on, it has lots of buildings and terrain. My fire dragons will stay out of the way and get ready to take out any enemy vehicles. My pathfinders with their excellent cover save will stick to terrain and pick off enemy infintry and my autarch with his avengers will draw the enemy in at the spot I want and then get into cover themselves.

My ideal way of battle will be to get them to split up chasing after me and then with fleet of foot gang up on their units one unit at a time as we usually play until one side is completely wiped out.
Manticoreslair
Shade

Post by Manticoreslair »

yeah not bad,
However, you only really need one unit of pathfinders, with 2 here you have no combat unit, you need either
wraithlord, 2 flamers, wraithsword and scatter laser, 120pts
(this is to get close, 2 flamers to burn, 4 scatter laser shots then charge with re-rolls to hit)
or 6 banshees, w/ exarch and mirror swords. 118 pts
this unit will run up the side, and fleet each turn to be in combat on turn 2 or 3 latest. then with prob 20 power weapon attacks at I10, voila a combat unit.
This also has 7 points to spare for something like mandiblasters on the exarch or something to boost his shooting
its all or nothin

strike hard, strike fast

then run like hell!!
Tich
Highborn

Post by Tich »

Ok these changes on my list,

One unit of pathfinders gone

Replaced by 6 banshees, w/ exarch and mirror swords. 118 pts

Also, the autarch is trading in his death spinner for a avenger shuriken catapult and a mandiblaster.
Manticoreslair
Shade

Post by Manticoreslair »

thats better. just be sure to keep them banshees out of site so they dont get shot, a unit with a heavy bolter or 2 could really spoil the fun.
if you do have a wraith lord put that in instead it slower, but draws ALL the heavy fire onto it, kept in cover, this allows your whole army to move forward unscathed.
also being toughness 8 means anything str4 or below cant hurt him. even str 5+6 need 6's to wound.
and dont infiltrate the pathfinders too close, keep them in a building/forest about half way, by the tme the enemy gets there the banshees and avengers will be there to mop them up before they hurt you.
if you need any tactics about eldar PM me. my eldar army is undefeated in a year and a half at veterans night at my local GW
its all or nothin

strike hard, strike fast

then run like hell!!
Tich
Highborn

Post by Tich »

I have never used eldar or fought against them, I have been deciding what 40k race to collect for about a year and i have settled on the eldar as I think their tactics would suit me best. Any tactics advice you have I would appreciate, the players I will be playing against most are- Blood angels astartes, space wolves, necrons, tau, imp guard and one plain no specific chapter space marines.

The tau player favours lots of fire warriers, the imp guard takes lots of guardsmen and few vehicles, the blood angels player just takes infantry, the space wolf player likes lots of characters and tanks. The necron player takes a monolith and lots of warriers, the plain astartes guy likes land speeders- he may be going to dark angels and going ravenwing.

I prefer hit and run tactics, splitting the enemy army into chunks and destroying them one bit at a time. take out key parts of their force and leave them with lots of infintry to slaughter. Like I said earlyer I would appreciate any eldar tactics as all i really know of how to use them comes from some WD battle reports and I quite frankly don't trust how accurate they are, (isn't it strange how luck always shines on the race they're trying to sell at that time).
Manticoreslair
Shade

Post by Manticoreslair »

well i could give you my 1500 pts list to face these, as they are all marines (except 2, but necrons are just the same as marines) and i could tell you how i use them, this army has never achieved anything less than a solid victory against marines.
as for guard, all i can say is, lasguns? str3 AP-? wots to worry about. aslong as you have 2 combat units that make it to combat relatively untouched you will win. i once had a unit or 10 harlequins, one shadow seer, all with harlequins kisses, thats 40 attacks on the charge, with rending 3's to hit, I6 WS6, and str4. thats on top of the veil of tears power. and it ripped apart 6 units in 3 turns against guard. i always take the quins, never make a list without them. by the time the enemy can see you they get a kiss to the face, and not the good kind of kiss
its all or nothin

strike hard, strike fast

then run like hell!!
Tich
Highborn

Post by Tich »

I don;t know if we will be able to play 1500 point matches at the moment. For one we play the matches quickly at lunch most of the time, also I don't think I could afford more than 500 points at the moment

EDIT- ok ,hows this for a squad,
Farseer- ghost helm, shuriken pistol, rune armour, singing spear, runes of witnessing, spirit stones, eldritch storm, mind war and eldar jetbike,

with- 10 warlocks, all with singing spears, rune armour, shuriken pistols and jet bikes, one with conceal, one with emoblden, one with enhance, and one with spiritseer.

total- 679 points.
Eeeeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Eeeeron »

Try to get a limit and objectives put into the game otherwise the necron player will win most games, as monoliths are very hard to destroy.

Manticoreslair
Shade

Post by Manticoreslair »

That squad is useless unless you can cast fortune on them, a 4+ save (even if it is invulnerable) isnt that good when you have 10 strong guard or marine squads shooting at you.
a good tactic with these is to put them on a flank then turbo boost them to the opponents deployment, getting a 3+inv save first turn, then using the eldar jetbike rule of being able to move an extra 6" in the assult phase move back behind a building so he cant shoot you. next turn move out, fortune the unit and go tank hunting against things like monoliths and land raiders. Or just stick to wiping out large numbered units, a unit of 20 orks being shot at then charged with weapons that always hit on 2's? there wont be many orks left.
The two psychic powers you have arent the best. mind war is good against a well upgraded lord, so you never have to engage him, but eldritch storm is pants, take guide, doom or fortune. or even three powers then just choose the best two when the time is right
its all or nothin

strike hard, strike fast

then run like hell!!
El_wacko
Slave on the Altar

Post by El_wacko »

It might be a good idea not to have a spiritseer since he is not needed in that unit and plus they will be moving a lot more than any wraithlords or guards. Conceal is also not needed, since you have a 4+ INV and a 3+ armour save. A good idea is to give 2 warlocks embolden and enhance and give the rest destructors :twisted: (evil laugh) 8 heavy flamers is good against any unit. It might be an expensive unit but it could be fun, i've never played wit hthat unit, because i never have enough points left. Btw manticoreslayer is right with the farseer. Give him fortune and maybe guide, since doom gives you re-roll to wound. Any more help, you can PM me.
"Those big guys in black armour are a bit tough, aren't they. I will go and negociate a treaty with their commander. It is that guy in that large armour, with the long sword and the big claw, right? How do they call him, Aba...?"
Manticoreslair
Shade

Post by Manticoreslair »

El_Wacko makes a good point about the destructor powers. i had totally forgot about the warlock powers.
However with concern to buying guide for the warlock wacko, his jetbikes all have twin linked catapults. this gives him a re-roll and you can never re-roll a re-roll. doom along with destructor would be very evil, maybe if you just bought the unit as follows
farseer, spirit stones, fortune, doom, runes of witnessing (or warding whichever gives him 3 dice and choose)
10 man warlock squad, conceal, enhance and embolden taken by 3 warlocks then destructor on the other 7.
Then mount them all on jetbikes.
The ultimate killy death can stand upto anything unit.
its all or nothin

strike hard, strike fast

then run like hell!!