First Attempt at Black Templars

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Bergerfett
Corsair

First Attempt at Black Templars

Post by Bergerfett »

Emperor's Champion - Abhor the Witch, Destroy the Witch - 110

10 Initiates, 10 Neophytes, Melta Gun, Crusader Seals, Frag Grenades - 310

10 Initiates, 10 Neophytes, Melta Gun, Crusader Seals, Frag Grenades - 310

Dreadnaught - Twin-Linked Lascannon, Missle Launcher - 135

3 Landspeeders - 3x Typhoon, 3x Multi-Melta - 255

Predator Annihilaior - Sponson Lascannons - 145

Vindicator - 125

Predator Destructer - Sponson Heavy Bolters - 110

Their it is, Im not happy with my necrons altho their getting a new book in 6 to 9 months. Thinking this as a second army.
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

1st, take "Accept no Challenge no matter the odd", it is the most OP rule in the game.

2nd, Id split the troops into 3 units at least, just for objectives.
Bergerfett
Corsair

Post by Bergerfett »

psykers are very main stream at my gaming store lately. Lots of lashes and the imp guard pysker squad
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

in tht case I would take an inquisitor with psychic hood and take 'accept any challenge' it's just a way too good vow.
'with hatred all things are possible' -Malus of Hag Greaf-

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Rangeltoft
Noble

Post by Rangeltoft »

Can't have a inquisitor in a Black Templars army, since he is a psyker (all inquisitors have that rule, no metter if they take a power or not). And unless this has been faq:ed somewhere, BT cant have a inquisitor allie.
Darigaaz
Black Guard

Post by Darigaaz »

you need a HQ aside from an EC
"I am hatred, darkness and despair".
S'tan
Warrior

Post by S'tan »

A very good army I've seen at this year's tourney in Zagreb consisted of something like this: EC, Chaplain, 2 14 man squads, 2 LR Crusaders and a Vindicator.

He did very well and here's why: Vehicles are again turning into stuff of nightmares. Well..not as much as they were way back but they're very survivable at current rules. LRs are great, if they move flat out opposition will only hit them on 6 in cc and belive me, they're very very survivable. Str 8 won't do jack shiz, str 9 will need a lucky shot and str 10 is rarer then a rich homeless person. The only dilema of a LR is weather to shoot all those lascannons and be still or move across the board and deliver the deadly payload.

LR Crusader solves it for you. Twin hurricane bolters for mowing down infantry, multi melta for tough things and tanks and assault cannons for...well, everything. + they get to carry more things. What's not to like!

Which conviniently brings me to my second point. Take the stupid vow for re-rolling hits in cc (this used to be ''always hit on 3+'' in the old ed., that's why it's so so good now) and mount all your non vehicle/non deep striking things in rhinos/LRCs. Even rhinos are more then worth those few points and lashes will be a minor distraction for one turn instead of game winner.

As a final thought, play what you like seeing on the table. At the end of the day, most of the stuff is reasonably balanced and the most important thing in the army is synergy, not individual stats/units. Figure out what you want your army to do instead of looking at one character/unit.

S
A man cannot drink from a mirage, but he can drown in it.
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

Rangeltoft wrote:Can't have a inquisitor in a Black Templars army, since he is a psyker (all inquisitors have that rule, no metter if they take a power or not). And unless this has been faq:ed somewhere, BT cant have a inquisitor allie.

the rule says 'no model with psychic powers' so as long as your inquisetor doesn't buy any powers you can include him (bolterandchainsword has a special article about this in the BT forum: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/inde ... rticle=530)
and I would either try to go mecanised or try to get more bodies on the table (I would drop the speeders and downgrade the dread or drop him altogether so you can buy another big squad and mayba a techmarine to repair your tanks)

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Grimaldus
Slave on the Altar

Post by Grimaldus »

Id drop the destructor for a chaplain since you need another hq choice in the army. Accept not challenges is only good against armies that have ws 4+, so against a guard army is kinda a waste of points. And yeah, you really want to get a 3rd troop squad in there otherwise looks like an interesting list.
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Grimaldus wrote: Accept not challenges is only good against armies that have ws 4+, so against a guard army is kinda a waste of points. .

I assume your talking about 4th edition rules about preffered enemy (always 3+ to hit). Preffered Enemy in 5th edition allows all CC to hit rolls be rerolled. In which case it works even better against Guard.
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

Grimaldus wrote:Id drop the destructor for a chaplain since you need another hq choice in the army.

and this has been FAQed, you can have the emperor's champion as your only HQ