The Fates of the Primarchs

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

The Fates of the Primarchs

Post by Kinslayer »

I've been looking into this today, since I'm a big fan of the Horus Heresy novels.

Obviously this thread may contain spoilers to those that do not know the whole Heresy story already...

I have a pretty good idea of what happened to each Primarch now, but since there seems to be conflicting ideas for most of them, even from GW themselves, I wanted to make a topic and see what you guys think. If you have any information to add, please do!

So, the fates of the Primarchs, as I understand them, in order of Legion:

Lion El'Johnson
After the Heresy he returned to Caliban, to find Luther leading the fallen angels against him. The battle that followed ended with a titanic duel between the Lion and Luther, but in the end neither could bring themselves to slay their old best friends. For his failure, the Chaos Gods inflicted a warp storm upon the planet which saw Luther turn to madness and the Lion vanish. Luther speaks of the Lion coming back one day, but unknown to the Dark Angels his body resides inside the planet with the Watchers In The Dark.

Fulgrim
After much persuading, he chose to follow Horus during the Heresy, and later slew Ferrus Mannus at Istvaan V. He later accepted the offer of a daemon to rid him of his guilt, and his body was taken over by a daemon. This daemon led him through the rest of the Heresy, and was elevated to Daemon Prince afterwards. Fulgrim was trapped in the daemons mind, watching as it wounded Roboute Guillman and fled into the warp.

Perturabo
He was part of the Dropsite Massacre and later trapped the Imperial Fists in his Iron Cage, a deadly maze with a fortress monastry at the centre. He all but decimated the Imperial Fists here and was elevated to Daemonhood in return for his efforts. He fled to the Warp.

Jaghtai Khan
He survived the Heresy, but during this time his legion was damaged by Dark Eldar. 70 years after the Heresy he chased these Dark Eldar into the webway and was never seen again.

Leman Russ
During the Heresy he almost killed Magnus the Red, but his traitor brother managed to get away from him. 197 years after the Heresy, he dissapeared into the Warp after speaking to Bjorn The Fell Handed. He claimed he would return one day, at the End of Days / The Wolftime. His armour, the collars of his 2 pet wolves, and his spear were later discovered. The spear was then lost, when Ragnar threw it into the Warp trying to impale Magnus The Red.

Rogal Dorn
He found and saved the Emperor at the climax of the Heresy, and later attacked Perturabo in the Iron Cage. Here his legion was decimated, but he survived when the Ultramarines turned up and Perturabo fled. After the Heresy, Dorn was slain onboard the Despoiler ship, Sword of Sacrilage, during the first Black Crusade. His body is now encased in amber, apart from his fists, which are kept at the Chapters' fortress monastry.

Konrad Kurze
He turned to Chaos during the Heresy after being shunned by his loyalist brothers due to his legions fear-mongering approach to warfare. After the Heresy, he led his legion on a killing spree along the Eastern Fringe. Half of all the Callidus assasins were dispatched to kill him. He allowed the assasin M'shen to slay him, who was they slain in return by Kurzes' first in command. His last words were, "Death is nothing compared to vindication."

Sanguinius
He tried to save the Emperor when Horus attacked Terra during the Heresy. He was strangled to death by Horus, but managed to weaken the armour around Horus' neck in the process, which is what enabled the Emperor to slay him.

Ferrus Manus
His legion was almost wiped out at the Dropsite Massacre. Here he was beheaded by Fulgrim, the Primarch who had formerly been his closest brother. This was the turning point for Fulgrim, who soon fully embraced Chaos.

Angron
He survived the Heresy and was first to ascend to Daemonhood. He started the First War for Armageddon, and was later banished by the Grey Knights. He still lives in the Warp.

Roboute Guillman
In the events following the Heresy, his throat was slit by Fulgrim as he tried to stop the traitor Primarch escaping into the warp. He now lies in stasis underneath Macragge, and a miracle has occured in that his throat wound is slowly healing (for in statis time stands still and this is impossible). Perhaps one day he will wake up.

Mortarion
He was on his way to warn the Emperor of the Heresy when his fleet was cast into the Warp. During this time, his ship was inflicted with a plague by Nurgle and he unwillingly took a vow to Nurgle to save his legion. He became a Daemon Prince and still lives.

Magnus the Red
In a tragic story at the time of the Heresy, he tried to warn the Emporer of Horus' treachery, but had the Space Wolves set upon him because he used black magic to do so. He looked to Tzeentch to save his City of Light, and later became a Daemon Prince too.

Horus
He turned many of the other legions to Heresy after awaking from a coma inflicted by a mortal wound taken in battle with an alien foe. The weapon that almost killed him was, unknown to Horus, planted in the aliens possession by a Word Bearer Chaplain who already sided with Chaos. Horus later killed his brother Sanguinius at the Seige of Terra, before mortally wounding and being slain by his father, The Emperor.

Lorgar
He turned to Chaos after being rejected by the Emperor. It was his legion that planted the alien weapon that saw Horus fall into a coma, and it was during this coma that Chaos first entered Horus' soul. Lorgar was elveated to Daemonhood and still lives.

Vulkan
Some say he was slain at the Dropsite Massacre, but little is known of this Primarch of his fate. He may have escaped Istvaan V and still be alive.

Corax
His legion was massacred on Istavaan V, but he managed to escape with a small portion of his Legion. He later resorted to accelerated mutation to rebuild his Legion. He then realised what he had done, and slew all the marines he had created and mutated. He then went into seclusion. He emerged years later and went into the Eye of Terror saying only a single word, 'Nevermore'.

Alpharius
During the events directly after the Heresy, he engaged the Ultramarines before they could succesfully destroy Fulgrim and his Legion. After this, he was slain by Roboute Gulliman on Eskrador, or so the Ultramarine tales say. Some say he actually survived, faking his own death as to continue his shadowy approach to warfare without the loyalists knowing he was even there. There is also the idea that Alpharius is actually two Primarchs, along with Omegon, and that either none, one or both of them could be dead. Fate unknown.
Last edited by Kinslayer on Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sassmaw
Cold One Knight

Post by Sassmaw »

Ah you are wrong about The lion:

It says in the Dark Angel Codex that when he returned to Calbain(What is now know as The Rock) he was attacked by those now know as the fallen(those who followed Luther). Lions fleet then proceded to bombard the planit into submission and all was destroyed but the mighty fortress monistary the Tower of Angels where Luther and his closest bretherin were. Lion then proceeded with an all out atttack. The Climax of this battle was when in the middle of the Tower Luther and Lion dueled.They were equally matched and peices of the Tower the size of battle tanks fell from their blows power. Maenwhile Calbain was still being bonbarded by the Dark angle ships in orbit and magma was starting to spew from the planets surface. Tyhe planit was breaking apart. In the climax of theri fight Luther fell from tireing after the long fight but Lion could not bring himself to kill his long time friend. This was all Luther needed and he went for an all out psychic attack. This brought the Lion to his knees and Luther was able to give the final blow... but Luther could not bring himself to do so. Seeing his oldest friend in such pain was what he needed to break the Chaos Gods hold on him. Loseing his sanity from seeing the depth of his betrail Luther sluped to the ground, his will to fight lost. The Chaos Gods seeing another pawn defile them sent a violent warp storm that cause a rift in the very fabric of space. This riped the planit apart and sent all the Falllen angels across the universe. The only part to survive was the Tower of Angels. The Dark Angels rushed to the surface only to find the body of Luther a gibering husk of the man he once was. All he repeated was his one profacey : the lion will return and he will forgive us of our sins. Of Lion El' Jonson there was no sign.

Esentially he was sucked into the warp storm but He will return someday (much like Russ who is on the "Great Hunt")
Never underestimate the power of sheer bloody minded spite.
"I’m not going to fight them, you fool. I’m going to kill them.”
-Malus Darkblade

"We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."
- Malekith, The Witch King of Naggaroth
Sassmaw
Cold One Knight

Post by Sassmaw »

Also this may not really invovle the Primarchs but there are two Legions missing. Legion II and XI. Some say these are the Blood Angels and another Traitor Legion. Others say these are Just GW's way of allowing us to create aour ow Legions. From the Horus Herisy books:

As Horus lay in coma inside the Davinite temple after being wounded by Eugen Temba, Erebus gave him visions that showed him events from various points in time. In one of these experiences, Horus found himself in the geno-vault where he was created, and looked down upon the genetor-tanks containing the infant Primarchs. At one point he stops before tank XI and reflects upon the "untapped glories that lay within, knowing they would never come to pass". This refers to one of the unknown Primarchs.

Thus many belive these Legions were destroyed before the Heresy. There is also metioning of a Primarch Rubinek of the Iron Hearts Chapter but he is only in the short story Hell in a Bottle. Anyway hope this helps out :)
-Malus Darkblade

"We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Slightly wrong about The Lion there sassmaw. He is asleep in the centre of the Rock tended to by the Watchers in the Dark, and only they know of his existance, the Dark Angels are oblivious to this fact. Other wise you are right Luthor was not slain and resides still within the Rock, muttering that the Lion is near and will soon return.

sassmaw wrote: Also this may not really invovle the Primarchs but there are two Legions missing. Legion II and XI. Some say these are the Blood Angels and another Traitor Legion. Others say these are Just GW's way of allowing us to create aour ow Legions.

Think you mean Blood Ravens there, which are actually strongly hinted at being a loyalist splinter of the Thousand Sons. The legions are blanked in order to give us some free reign with fluff. However in one of the HH books, Russ comments on the empty plinthes of the two missing primarchs, he says something along the lines that they both met seperate tragedies and were already lost/destroyed before the heresy broke out.

Kinslayer you're info on Fulgrim is a tad out of date.

He sided with Horus in the heresy but not truely to Chaos, believing that Horus would free humanity from the Emperors rule (he was tricked into thinking the Emp. was evil or something all the time being corrupted by the daemon weapon he found on some barren planet). At Istvaan V he met up with Ferrus Manus and they argued and tried to sway each other to the others side. Ferrus was adamant in stopping Horus, so Fulgrim attacked in rage and this culminated in ferrus being slain. Upon realising how far he had fallen, Fulgrim was locked in despair and the daemon within his weapon offered to make the pain go away and take all responsibility from Fulgrim. He accepted and the daemon took control of his body and Fulgrim is locked within his own mind only capable of watching what the daemon uses his body for.

The daemon then led the Emperor's Children through the heresy and was promoted to a Daemon Prince for his actions during it. Now he rules over a world of pure pleasure in the Eye and is a giant mullti armed snake monster.

Note: Fulgrim did not destroy Horus' body, Abaddon took it with him when they fled to the Eye, and enshrined it upon the world they took refuge on. It was then that Fabius Bile of the Emps. Children raided the temple, stole the body and cloned it. Abaddon then raided Bile's lab destroying the clones and the original Horus' body, renaming the legion the Black Legion to purge themselves of Horus's failure.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Thanks for the corrections. I love the mystery that surrounds the missing two chapters. I will update my post to contain your info.
Sassmaw
Cold One Knight

Post by Sassmaw »

@ Zardock: Thank you for the correction but where is this info comeing from? I have never seen in any backround that Lion is in the rock. Could you inform me of what book or background story this is in? O and yes i ment Blood Ravens. sorry :P

O and thank you Zardock for putting the correction on Fulgrim. I was about to do this myself untill i noticed you had done all the typeing for me :)
-Malus Darkblade

Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

I had to type out that entire post 3 times, wireless kept failing and I lost the text >< .

I'm sure that some GW publication mentions the Lion being within the Rock. I got my info of Lexicanum and everyone on Warseer tends to think that the Lion is within the Rock, so perhaps the reference is there.

4th Ed. DA codex perhaps?

Zardock (Group 27)

Sassmaw
Cold One Knight

Post by Sassmaw »

No as i said in my post i have the DA codex infront of me. If you reed the last two sentances(sorry of spelling) you can see what it says in the codex (it's almost copied word for word)
-Malus Darkblade

Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Ah found out where that info is from.

Lexicanum wrote: The final secret known only to a very select few is that, buried even deeper within the Rock than Luther, Jonson lies sleeping, waiting with the Watchers in the Dark for the time when he will be needed again, to lead the Dark Angels in a new and greater crusade. The Emperor is one who also knows of this secret.1-p14

Codex: Angels of Death is the source.

Zardock (Group 27)

Sassmaw
Cold One Knight

Post by Sassmaw »

Ah but does the new Codex superside this?

Also i found out some more about Khan. Aparently he chased a group of dark eldar into the webway where he was assulted by an armies worth of warriors. He has been apparently captured and put into the fighting pits where he has never lost. He is waiting for the day that other spcemarines will find the world he is imprisined on to elp him break free.

This may all be wrong (Its not from the most reliable source) but it was what i was told.
-Malus Darkblade

Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Well the current DA codex is written from the point of view of the Dark Angels, they don't know that the Lion is within the Rock. To them they think he was scattered with the rest of the Fallen.

No direct contradiction there, just written from differing view points.

Zardock (Group 27)

Azrial14
Trainee Warrior

Post by Azrial14 »

lion was thrown into the warp with the rest of the fallen and his location is unknown, the person at the center of the rock is luther

it is also said that he will return when he is needed, the same thing that leman russ said. and im sure Jaghatai Khan said the same thing, but he is supposed to be held by the dark eldar

rogal dorn commented on the two deleted primarchs, he was told that they were experimented on and that it went wrong, i cant remember which horus heresy book he said that in.

i hope that help you slighty
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Azrial14, please do not post 3 answers in a row when you could have easily done it all in one post. Also, this thread has been dead for several months. Its usually best to let dead threads be dead.

Loki
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ