wave serpents

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Noble_servaas
Trainee Warrior

wave serpents

Post by Noble_servaas »

I've started playing 40K in spring this year and having a lot of fun with my Eldar.

One thing I am having trouble with is the best use of my wave serpents.

In smaller games I run 1, in larger games I run 2, with howling banshees and striking scorpions in them.

The problem for me is where to put them so the units in them can assault (preferably shooting at their intended targets).

I keep struggling with how to position them best, so I don't keep flying back and forth the entire game without letting the elites in these transports do what they do best.
Arhain cynath
Shade

Post by Arhain cynath »

Go to one side of the table in order for your assaut teams to charge up to the other side.

By this means the Serpents are Transports for 1 turn or two, and then you will use them as classical fast tanks. That's the way I play mine (got 2 with Shuriken canon and twin star cannon)
My body is dedicated to our King, but my weapon and hatred are dedicated to Khaine!!
- Arhain Cynath, the Red Dragon of Har Ganeth
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

Especially Howling Banshees who Fleet, you can just
1) Fortune up the Wave Serpent
2) move it 24" or 36" to the enemy
3) next turn jump the infantry out and because the Serpent hasn't moved this turn they can assault
4) use the Serpent as a moving cover/twin-linked gun/or to beleagured units to safety or idle units into danger.
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Azrial14
Trainee Warrior

Post by Azrial14 »

the one that i use in a 1500pts game is two serpents, one with bright lance, one with missile launcher, both filled with 10 dire avengers and bladestorm.
zoom it to a safe possition or jump out at something deadly and fill it with 32 strengh 4 shots
if you have the points 1 or 2 farseers with doom and guide, make them even more effective.
its about 500pts for the serpents and the avengers
or about 700 for that with the farseers

this will be garanteed to kill most things first shot, ive accually killed an ork army turn one thanks to it