Hive fleet Grendal

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Malevion
Malekith's Personal Guard

Hive fleet Grendal

Post by Malevion »

Well here is the tyranid list I plan on using with the new codex.

HQ

Hive Tyrant- twin-linked devourers x2, armoured shell 240pts
1 Tyrant Guard- 60pts

Elites

2 Hive Guard- 100pts
2 Hive Guard- 100pts
2 Zoanthropes- Mycetic spore 160pts

Troops

20 Termagaunts- 100pts
21 Hormagaunts- toxin-sacs 168pts
20 Hormagaunts- toxin-sacs 160pts
4 Warriors- deathspitters x3, barbed strangler x1 145pts
16 Genestealers 224pts

Fast Attack

4 Shrikes- toxin-sacs, adrenal glands, paired boneswords and scything talons 220pts
12 Gargoyles- 72pts

Total- 1749pts
106 models

I quite like the list despite my misgivings about the codex. It has enough models that I should nicely outnumber most enemies.It has good anti-tank shooting and good combat ability. I like the shrikes because they finally give me a combat unit that can destroy even nob bikers.And best of all I hardly have to buy anything new to make it. I forsee that the list could have problems with not being quick enough and not having quite enough anti-infantry shooting. What do you guys think?
He is a pimp and pimps don't commit suicide.

Dead men don't strike first
Elric of grans
Dark Rider

Post by Elric of grans »

Nids are no longer a shooty army, so lacking anti-Infantry shooting is not a major concern. The Toxigaunts and Stealers should chew up just about any basic infantry you encounter. If you can find the points to upgrade your Gargoyles, they will also mince up most things with their combined shooting and assault. If hybrid mech is your metagame, you should have a solid amount of anti-tank. With only a single MC, I cannot see the Hive Tyrant lasting long though. Depending on your local meta, I could see it dropping turn one or two.

It is also amazing to see a list with Termagants, but no Tervigon (I do it, but no one else seems to). A bit of an unusual list, but I would be interested to hear how it goes for you.
Hali
Grand Executioner

Post by Hali »

Yeah, i'm sort of against the Shooty Tyrant for similar reasons as Elric. The Psychic powers where given such a huge boost this edition, they've VERY strong, even if it's not in a damage sense. I'd be more inclined to keep him in a base kit and then use him in support of your main battle line using Psychic powers as ranged attacks while you cross the field.

Otherwise, the only thing i don't really like in the list is the Toxin sacs on the Shrikes. Warriors are S4 to begin with, and there's not much out there that is more than T4, unless you plan for them to be assaulting MC's or the like.
On the lower strength models like the Hormagaunts, they make alot of sense as an upgrade, but spending points to wound on a 4+ when you will allready be wounding on a 4+ with most things (or 3+ with IG and Eldar) seems like a bit of a point sinkage.

I'd think you'd be better off pulling the points out of there to try and upgrade the Gargoyles.

Elite section is strong, can't go wrong with Hive Guard and Zoanthrope's these days.

The only other thing i'd change, maybe make the Hive Guard Winged, rather than give him a Tyrant Guard, as this will give the shooty build a bit more flexibilty in movement.
Elric of grans
Dark Rider

Post by Elric of grans »

Hali wrote:Otherwise, the only thing i don't really like in the list is the Toxin sacs on the Shrikes. Warriors are S4 to begin with, and there's not much out there that is more than T4, unless you plan for them to be assaulting MC's or the like.

With Poison, if your Strength is greater than or equal to their Toughness, you can reroll failed wounds. This goes from a 50% chance to wound T4 to a 75% chance. VERY nice. It only fails on MCs, who have a higher chance to wound without Poison.
Hali
Grand Executioner

Post by Hali »

Hahaha, amateur moment!

I need to go over the rules again. Cheers for the update Elric.
Malevion
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Malevion »

thanks for the feedback

I guess I could drop the tyrant for a warrior prime and stick him in the termagaunts. Then I could get another unit of Genestealers or something.

I'l try the list both with and without the tyrant and see which I prefer.

I'l probably try out the list this weekend against my friends space marines. I'll let you know how it goes.
He is a pimp and pimps don't commit suicide.

Dead men don't strike first