2000 points Witch Hunters

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Loki
Brolock
Brolock

2000 points Witch Hunters

Post by Loki »

Ok, since I'm sick, I've spent my time going through my models, figuring out what I need to finish which armies and whatnot. At any rate, I ended up making up this list, which would require only about 30-some dollars to finish.

Canoness- 160
-Mantle of Ophelia, Cloak of St Aspira, Book of St Lucius, MC Eviscerator, Inferno Pistol, Jump pack
Canoness- 100
-Cloak of St Aspira, Book of St Lucius, Blessed Weapon
9 Celestians- 240
-Veteran Sister Superior (Eviscerator, Plasma Pistol), Heavy Flamer, Flamer
-Repressor- Extra Armor
10 Sisters of Battle- 205
-Veteran Sister Superior (Power Weapon, Book of St Lucius), Flamer, Melta
-Rhino- Extra Armor
-Rhino- Extra Armor
-Rhino- Extra Armor
-Rhino- Extra Armor
5 Seraphim- 171
-Veteran Sister Superior (Plasma Pistol, Book of St Lucius), Hand Flamers, Meltabombs
5 Retributors- 219
-Veteran Sister Superior (Storm Bolter, Book of St Lucius), 4 Heavy Bolters
-Heavy Bolter Immolator- Extra Armor
Excorcist- 140
-Extra Armor
Excorcist- 140
-Extra Armor
Total: 1990
11 Faith Points

The vehicles are included in the squad's total price. The first Canoness is there to deal with any MCs, with faith points, she should be able to get her 2+ invulnerable almost all the time, so she can at least hold up a big monster, and is capable of taking it down. Each squad is equipped is pretty rounded, has a little anti tank, should it need be. The Seraphim plus the Exorcists are the main anti-tank units for the army. The Retributors are there for a little extra anti-infantry, depending on whom I'm facing. Thoughts?
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Elric of grans
Dark Rider

Post by Elric of grans »

Mostly fairly standard, though people prefer min-maxed Celestians/Dominions to Battle Sister Squads these days (5 woman, 2xMeltagun, Immolators). I also prefer the old Battle Sisters Squad, so who cares what they think ;) Power Weapons on the Veteran Sister Superiors are a waste of points, so I would not recommend them, On the other hand, I cannot understand why Flamers on the Battle Sisters Squads in place of Heavy Flamers.

Seraphim are not very good under fifth edition. I stopped running them some time back. Your squad is too small for an anti-infantry one however. I would make it 7-8 women with two Hand Flamer-equipped members, and I would DEFINITELY put an Evicerator on the Veteran Sister Superior. She should get one before any other VSS!

I hate Retributor Squads. I ran them for a couple of years and gave up. None of my opponents cared they were there: they were the single least threatening unit I fielded. Battle Sisters Squads put out more Dakka from turn two, Exorcists melt everything in sight, Retributors may kill a couple of Ork Boyz. A couple. Big whoop! I stopped bringing them after that. Four Heavy Bolters does not really count for much,.
Fatontoast
Black Guard

Post by Fatontoast »

4 heavy bolters with divine guidance good at taking out termies etc from across the board with a book of st lucius and 5 random storm troopers its a good unit for holding objectives
Master Of Toastopolis
Elric of grans
Dark Rider

Post by Elric of grans »

Fully agree on the Stormies. Battle Sisters Squads are wasted on holding the home objective(s), so Stormies are far better used for this purpose. Pop five in a Chimera and you have a sturdy, long-range firebase to hold the fort. However, Guard Platoons are better still, and have taken this role from the Stormies in competitive lists.

Divine Guidance Heavy Bolters are very over-rated. It is even worse in fifth edition, where your opponent almost certainly has a 4+ cover save at 36''.

6 Battle Sisters, VSS+Book, Imagifier, 4xHeavy Bolter: 165pts
12 shots, 8 hits, 4 AP4/1.33 AP1, 1.56 dead Terminators

10 Battle Sisters, VSS+Book, Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Rhino+Extra Armour+Smoke: 205pts
1 Flamer, 5 hits, 1.67 AP5/0.83 AP1, 0.83 dead Terminators
1 Heavy Flamer, 5 hits, 2.5 AP4/0.83 AP1, 0.97 dead Terminators
16 shots, 10.67 hits, 1.78 AP1, 1.78 dead Terminators
Total: 3.58 dead Terminators

This is assuming that not only was your opponent stupid enough to have some Termies standing on the opposite side of the table picking their nose, but also that there is no terrain on the table to give them a cover save. Pretty unlikely. The math also gets more in favour of the Battle Sisters Squad as you move to MEQ, to GEQ, etc. Agreed, the Heavy Bolters to get one extra turn of shooting over the Battle Sisters Squads, but they are also doing less than half the damage. In a mech-Sisters list, they are likely the only infantry on the table too, so they will take any and all long-range anti-infantry fire your opponent brings. Another Exorcist, at 30 less points, is a far better performer.

Battle Sisters Squads have always been more powerful, more flexible, sturdier and better value for points. That is why very few people run Retributor Squads, and they were never in competitive lists. I have run them both in a goodly number of games against most armies out there and the Retrubutor Squads were consistently the worst performing units in the list. Frankly, I cannot recall a single game were their performance was even passable.
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

The reason for no heavy flamers is a simple logistics one. Currently, I only have one. And I was looking to make this list fairly decent for the minimal amount of money to be included. That is why there are some things like power weapons in normal squads, because the model has them, I'm paying for it. Eventually, I plan to add a dominion unit of meltas and one of flamers, but at the moment I'm just sticking to what I can get for the bare minimum amount of money. To finish this list, all I need is 4 meltas and a heavybolter sister. As for adding the stormies, thats a no go. I've decided that my army shall be a purist one. Sisters only.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Elric of grans
Dark Rider

Post by Elric of grans »

I suspected you were making do with what models you had: all the Plasma Pistols were a give-away. I guess you only have a box of Seraphim; no blisters. Five Seraphim like that will not make an effective unit. If you convert the Hand Flamers to Inferno Pistols and buy a blister to make a second, a five woman tank-hunting squad is decent. Similarly, a blister with a Sister Superior with an Evicerator would be excellent for this unit. Otherwise, you need an Evicerator, a second Hand Flamer model, and some Bolt Pistols to fluff out the bodies.

What is the difference between a Power Sword and a Close Combat Weapon for WYSIWYG purposes? A paint job, at best. Unless you have painted glowing blue blades, you could run those models as having Close Combat Weapons. Unlike Codex: Space Marines, Sisters do not explicitly have Chainswords for their mundane weapons. You could have a model with a Shock Maul; it is still a Close Combat Weapon under the modern rules ;)

Be careful with Dominion Squads: they get very over-priced very easily. Especially with Meltaguns. They put down a lot of pain, but they typically lack ablatives and are not cost efficient. Small squads with two Special Weapons in an Immolator is more efficient, and quite popular. Similarly, five-woman dual-Meltagun Celestian Squads in Immolators are the most cost-effective way to use them. If you want dual-Flamer squads, leave that to the Battle Sisters Squads, as the addition of their Boltgun fire makes them the most cost-effective anti-infantry unit in the Codex. 10 Celestians with two Flamers put out as much firepower as 10 Battle Sisters, but cost a lot more. Their middling combat improvements are largely useless to the army, so not worth factoring in: they are more defensive than offensive.