Need some opinions on a Black Templars 'Ardboyz list

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Need some opinions on a Black Templars 'Ardboyz list

Post by Druchii77 »

Fellow Druchii,

I am currently in about my 5th month of entering the 40k universe from Fantasy and am enjoying it greatly. This weekend is the preliminary round of the North America 'Ardboyz tournament. As it is a free tournament, I figured I would go ahead and throw myself into the arena as there is no better place to learn your true mettle than the crucible. I currently am building and playing a Black Templar army. I have narrowed my army lists down to two different builds after having some play experience and after reading the scenarios (rules include kp's for various units and such). My requisites have been that I need at least 4 troop choices, some psychic defense, and enough killing power to handle other nasty armies. I have two lists that I think can manage. Here they are:

List #1

HQ
EC-AAC 140pt.
Grey Knight Brother Captain- psychic hood- 81pt.

Elite
Dreadnought- lascannon, missile launcher, venerable, tankhunter- 168pt.
5 Assault Terminators- 3 lightning claws, 2 thunder hammers/storm shields riding in a LRC with smoke(Grey Knight here)-483 pt.
5 Assault Terminators- 3 lightning claws, 2 thunder hammers/storm shields riding in a LRC with smoke- 483 pt.

Troop
Crusader Squad- 7 initiates, 5 pistol/CCW, 1 pistol/pw, 1 meltagun, 2 neophytes with pistol/CCW in rhino with EA and smoke(EC here)- 224pt.
Crusader Squad- 7 initiates, 5 pistol/CCW, 1 pistol/fist, 1 meltagun, 3 neophytes with pistol/CCW in rhino with EA and smoke- 245pt.
Crusader Squad- 7 initiates, 5 pistol/CCW, 1 pistol/fist, 1 meltagun, 3 neophytes with pistol/CCW in drop pod- 217pt.
Crusader Squad- 7 initiates, 5 bolters, 1 missile launcher, 1 plasmagun- 128pt.

Fast
Landspeeder- multi-melta- 65pt.

Heavy
Predator Destructor- lascannon sponsons, extra armor, smoke- 133pt.

2,500pt.
17kp straight up, a bit more with some of the scenarios.
4 troop choices
Solid psychic defense via the old school Grey Knight psychic hood.

List #2

HQ
EC-AAC 140pt.
Grey Knight Grandmaster- psychic hood, hammerhand- 175pt.

Elite
Dreadnought- lascannon, missile launcher, venerable, tankhunter- 168pt.
7 Assault Terminators- 4 lightning claws, 3 thunder hammers/storm shields riding in a LRC with smoke(Grey Knight here)-569 pt.

Troop
Crusader Squad- 10 initiates, 8 pistol/CCW, 1 pistol/fist, 1 meltagun, 4 neophytes with pistol/CCW in LRC with smoke(EC here)- 503pt.
Crusader Squad- 7 initiates, 5 pistol/CCW, 1 pistol/fist, 1 meltagun, 3 neophytes with pistol/CCW in rhino with EA and smoke- 245pt.
Crusader Squad- 7 initiates, 5 pistol/CCW, 1 pistol/fist, 1 meltagun, 3 neophytes with pistol/CCW in drop pod with deathwind- 237pt.
Crusader Squad- 7 initiates, 5 bolters, 1 lascannon, 1 plasmagun in rhino with EA and smoke- 191pt.

Heavy

2,499pt.
15kp straight up
4 troop choices, all in mech for protection
good psychic defense on a more survivable character

So, my question is this. Which one looks like it would work better in a hard, no comp environment that values min/maxed list and the hardest combos imagineable? I am leaning towards the first as it is more in my comfort zone as the dual terminator squads are rock hard and I don't mind losing them as they aren't scoring.

List two has a ton of potential and has fewer available kill point and the ones it does have are hard to get than list 1. I look forward to your advice.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Both lists appear to be sound enough, though with the first have you considered investing to make some of the assault terminators into Grey knight Terminators? I personally find them more effective but that may simply be a matter of preference.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation