40k races and the relationships between them all.

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Svarthofthi
Executioner
Location: Within the nightmare twists and turns of Hag Graef.

40k races and the relationships between them all.

Post by Svarthofthi »

Kind of a weird topic, but I love the lore to 40k and I'd like to find a site if it exists.

Anyway, I want to know lore relationships or instances in which:

Necron have fought tyranids.

Chaos has faught Tau.

Orks have fought anyone :P

I don't know, maybe its too specific, I just want to see lore on the combinations you don't hear about every day.

sorry for the confusion lol.
"I have heard the call to power! Who of you can say you'd dare tread the same path as I?"
Darktan
Cold One Knight

Post by Darktan »

lexicanum theres a site, might take some digging to find a specific query.

i wouldn't imagine the necron vs tyranid went well for the nids, they can't get any biomass from the necrons to generate new beasts, and the casualties caused by the necrons probably would be lacking much of their remains, gauss weaponry isn't the most polite.

theres a nice case of ork vs tyranid after an imperial inquisitor thought it was a good idea to divert a swarm into orks (or the other way around) to save some planets, unfortunately both races get stronger the more they fight, so i doubt thats going to end well.

good luck in your search!
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I remember it mentioned somewhere that Tau have no psychic presence in the Warp, so their combats against chaos would definitely leave the chaos marines confused at first. But after the first encounter it boils down to a gunfight :P
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Svarthofthi
Executioner

Post by Svarthofthi »

That's a sweet piece of info Dalamar :)

I've also heard regarding the Tau that the Air caste ethereals might be controlling the other races such as kroot and whatnot via pheremones. Hence why there isn't much strife in the Tau way of life. Can't substantiate it though.

Lexicanum is sweet, its just pouring through all of it can tucker you out. Thanks for the replies guys.
"I have heard the call to power! Who of you can say you'd dare tread the same path as I?"
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Find the book Xeneology for 40k. Its a good read and goes into detail about the physical nature of most of the races.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Jadin
Black Guard

Post by Jadin »

It's the 40k, they all attack the Space Marines and the Space Marines come out on top so GW can make more money selling the marinez.
Svarthofthi
Executioner

Post by Svarthofthi »

Soooomeone sounds jaaaaaaded. :P

Xenology? I'll take a gander! Thanks!

But hey, like I said if you guys have some cool things you've read feel free to post'em.
Rkhatzar
Assassin

Post by Rkhatzar »

are there any books or fictions about Orks fighting Chaos? Or 'nids vs chaos? or maybe 3 way around imperial guard, chaos marines/tau/eldar vs 'nids? ;>

I wonder how they would act.
”Fear in hearts, Fear in eyes, Fear is all before they die."
Jadin
Black Guard

Post by Jadin »

It goes like this: the eldar charge the Space Marine lines and get mowed down in waves upon waves, bodies piling up all around them.
Svarthofthi
Executioner

Post by Svarthofthi »

Yeah Rkhatzar, thats what I'm looking for too. Course I'm awful at speaking. Haha. :)
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Jadin wrote:It goes like this: the eldar charge the Space Marine lines and get mowed down in waves upon waves, bodies piling up all around them.

Well if you will insist on charging at people with giant machine guns...

The problem is that if you are writing a book you kind of need a human, or at least humanoid, main character so I don't think there are any full books about Xenos wars with one another. Army books usually turn up some fairly limited stuff, the Eldar battles against the Necrons during the war in Heaven for example and the Tryanid invasion of Iyandin (I think it was that one, might have been another craftworld).

There is mention in the Necron Codex (or maybe a white dwarf, it has been years since I read either) of an Ork invasion of a primitive human world. The humans were pressed back, taking refuge in vast catacombs awakening what we can only assume to be Necrons who then killed all the Orks (not much consolation for the humans who then had Necrons to deal with).

I also seem to remember in the old Tau codex that there was an outbreak of hedonism leading to an outright riot on one of the human colonies in the Tau empire, when a Montka Cadre was sent to squash it they found a Chaos Marine (at least one) at the centre and killed him. The Tau commander thought that the Chaos marine was actualy Slaanesh, poor dears.

If you can get your hands on really old white dwarves from the 13th black crusade days there is some stuff in them (no idea how you would if you didn't buy them at the time though). Like how Eldred Ulthuan tried to bring back the (for want of a better word) 'soul' of one of the Blackstone fortresses taken by Abaddon in the Gothic war only to find it wholly corrupted and having his own soul sucked out with a straw. Also the failed Necron attack on said Blackstone’s.

The Thousand Sons also managed to penetrate the web ways then and so there were battles between Chaos, the Eldar and the Dark Eldar in the Web way itself as Ahriman tried to get to the Black Library.

Those are all the examples I can think of off the top of my head, but I might try and dig out the old WDs later.

P.S. @Svarthofthi: There is supposed to be a theory that they control other Tau that way, but not the subject species. Tau obey any order of an ethereal unquestioningly, Kroot obey and order from an ethereal because he is the boss man with the cash.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Probably not very useful, but:

Orks fight imperial guard and space marines in the game: final liberation.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Svarthofthi
Executioner

Post by Svarthofthi »

Excellent things in that post Drainial! You're a beacon of knowledge in your own right!

I heard about the Eldrad incident with the black fortress, a friend of mine who plays eldar said that when this occured most of his waystones/soulstones or whatever they are called went out, but not all of them. So those eldar fools still cling to hope their greatest farseer exists somewhere.

I'm really feeling Chaos vs Tau right now thanks to this thread. It's kind of funny how naive they are.

Thanks again folks. I'm going to attempt to find an online resource for old WDs, though likely Games Workshop would have shot those men by now and taken it down, haha.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

For Tau V Genestealers, Necrons V Orcs and Chaos V More Chaos read the Ciaphas Cain books.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Oh, I just remembered that commander Farsight and that old Ethereal special character (maybe still around, I am not sure not having read the latest Tau Codex) both made names from their selves fighting Orks and that some detail was gone into over the details of such, might be worth a look.

Also there is the whole speculation over the Dysen sphere (probably the gaol of the Outsider) being avoided by invading Tyranid fleets, make of that what you will.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation