Character Comments Thread

Create and trade characters and discuss aspects of the RPG.

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Wardancer
Slave (off the Altar)

Character Comments Thread

Post by Wardancer »

Just a reminder, seeing as how a conversation started up in the Character Creation thread. In the creation thread, Z said this:

Z wrote:Please make only ONE post in this thread, which should be your character

If you want feedback, say so in your character post. I'm sure one of the mods will be happy to help you out by editing a response into your post. However, if you want to comment on someones character, do so here. The creation thread should remain as clean as possible. Thank you for your time.

~Fingol

Your character has 3 more points to spend, you may not want to add them, but I thought you should know.
[br][hr] Actions lie louder than words [br]-Carolyn Wells
Hobolad
Slave on the Altar

Post by Hobolad »

Thanks, but I just wouldn't know what to spend 'em on :) He's not tough at all, not too strong, not excessivly intelligent. He's flawed :)
Wardancer
Slave (off the Altar)

Stats

Post by Wardancer »

I (that is a big I), would put thm in allyour stats execpt strength. Remember, even skinks have toughness two, and this place has toughness 5 elves, so I wouldn't think it would b\be that much of a problem. Also, DEX is often used in ranged weapons, and since you are a crossbowman, it makes since in a way to increase it. You may want to give a point to strength instead of inteligance, depending on your thoughts about fluff. weapon skill would also make since, as this character has had plenty of practice.
[br][hr] Actions lie louder than words [br]-Carolyn Wells
Hobolad
Slave on the Altar

Post by Hobolad »

Oh, the toughness and stuff is for all races? I'd thought it was for measureing against druchii only, like a weak druchii would be one, a strong five etc.

EDIT: Ah, sorry about that. On another note my character post seems to have dissapeared :shock: Along with a few others.
Look at the group 3 thread in this forum, you will find your character there.

Ah, cool- thanks.
D-boy
Warrior

Post by D-boy »

well yea but DEX is based on felxablity mine is was a former dancer thus giving her high DEX, and when she applied it to her skill with a blade

i'm still wating ofr a group
I am the doctor of death and I have come to cure you of life

Name: Thandahr
Ws3 / S3 / T2 / D5 / I5
Equipment: Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak
Skills: Basic Stealth
Draknir
Dark Artist

Re: Character Comments Thread

Post by Draknir »

Wardancer wrote:Just a reminder, seeing as how a conversation started up in the Character Creation thread. In the creation thread, Z said this:

Z wrote:Please make only ONE post in this thread, which should be your character

If you want feedback, say so in your character post. I'm sure one of the mods will be happy to help you out by editing a response into your post. However, if you want to comment on someones character, do so here. The creation thread should remain as clean as possible. Thank you for your time.

~Fingol

This thread seems to have been forgotten for ages, but if this is still acceptable, I'll add in some comments:

I really like Drach'nan's character. His appearance is a good one, with all the paranoia and glancing over a shoulder... I also like his background. And the thing that he has practised many different types of weapons.

Roman V. Numeral's character is another good one. His appearance strikes me as a not-so-handsome quarreller. The background bit is extremely descriptive, but I would have liked more accurate backgrond about his past. What is the "veteran society" there is mentioned? How did he end up as a drunk troublemaker?

If a thread serves a specific purpose (like this one does) there's no issue with a little necromancy. ;) -- Tarbo
Roman v. numeral
Shade

Post by Roman v. numeral »

Thanks for the compliments Draknir! I'm still a little shaky on the whole online RPG thing, so the freindly words are very welcome.

As for the comments you made on my character's background: I was reallly aiming for an ugly, down on his luck s.o.b. so I'm glad I came close to hitting the mark there.

I had understood the the idea behind the "background" section as being kind of an introduction to the character and a rough idea of their personality and identity, so I purposely left it vague as kind of a teaser for the reader. I'm glad it worked (kind of) and hooked your interest. I had intended to fill out the personality and history of my character through the RPG itself, letting people learn more about the character as they interacted with him and became aware of his thoughts.

Now that I think more about it though, the "background" section is called that for a reason. I should probably have given a fuller general idea of his life story so far. Your own charater post does this very well (I read it over to see if I could use it as an example to improve my own). I really like how you mixed in the element of storytelling to keep it interesting, rather than just a dry statement of history like some of the other character descriptions I've read here. You seem to be a pretty skilled writter, do you have anything like battle reports or fiction up on the site I could read for fun?

I'm not sure where that "veteran society" thing came from. I don't recall having written anything like that, but then again, I was pretty tired when I wrote out the background for my character. I'll have to reread the post and see where you got that.

I've read that new RPG groups are being formed, could you point me in the right direction to get noticed by one when they finally surface? I can't find any idea of when the new groups will be functional, or if they are already and are simply avoiding my attention somehow.

Thanks again for the comments, feel free to let me know any tips or hints you might have picked up in your experince with writing or the RPG itself.
Group 25!

Name: Cenar Stoneburn
Class: Warrior
Stats: WS:4, S:5, T:4, D:3, I:2
Equipment: Long sword, shield, light armour
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

Roman V. Numeral wrote:I'm not sure where that "veteran society" thing came from. I don't recall having written anything like that, but then again, I was pretty tired when I wrote out the background for my character. I'll have to reread the post and see where you got that.

This is what I read:

Roman V. Numeral wrote:Description: Barath is fairly unremarkable, a warrior approaching middle age in a population of veteran raiders and soldiers.

I have a couple of BatReps but they are not in story mode and later I found out that I had cheated in them without knowing it, so i don't really recommend you to read them.

I have one very early Druchii story, and my Nemesis crown background which is not written ready even thought he campaign is over.

I am new to RPG, believe or not. There are going to be new groups, but there is no sure information of the exact time. I am also hoping that I would be noticed.
Roman v. numeral
Shade

Post by Roman v. numeral »

Ok, that makes more sense now! I couldn't find anything I'd written about a verteran's soceity anywhere, and I was starting to think I was crazy.

By "a population of veteran raiders and soldiers" I meant the general population of Naggaroth. It's my understanding that a good portion ( like almost all) of the Druchii are trained in war from an early age, and have no lack in oppurtunities to gain experince in combat due to the various invasions Naggaroth is exposed to (from chaos, high elves, Empire etc.). I've also read somewhere that the population of naggaroth is comaparably small, so in order to achieve the fearsome reputation (in the fluff anyways) we have for piratacy, coastal raids, and sea borne invasions, a good chunk of the dark elves trained for war must have been on at least one overseas expedition. In short, most of the druchii the average dark elf is exposed to on a daily basis would probably be a combat veteran, so one more battlescarred warrior, such as my character, would be fairly commonplace.

Seems like there are quite a few new people trying to get into the RPG, are all the people who ahve played before scared off by the experince? Or do they just stay in the old groups until the get picked up for a new one? I'm sure the mods will notice you, your obvious talent for creative writing seems like the most important skill a person could needfor having fun in a text based rpg.
Group 25!

Name: Cenar Stoneburn
Class: Warrior
Stats: WS:4, S:5, T:4, D:3, I:2
Equipment: Long sword, shield, light armour
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

PeterT25 wrote:
Background: As a child Krone was hated by his parents. One night when he was only 20 when he was asleep his father tried to kill him but Krone woke up just in time and stuck a dagger through his father and killed him. In his fear he picked up his dead fathers sword and plunged the dagger out of his father and mounted his fathers dark steed and fled the city as he left he was found and taken in by a dark elf lordling named Kaleth Shadowsword who saw the anger in him and treated him like a son. He was taught how to fight, ride a cold one and become one with the shadows. He was the favourite of the sons and Raven the eldest son became jealous and tried to kill Krone. The fight ended with Krone winning but leaving him a scar across his right eye. He went and told Kaleth who in his fury exiled Krone forever. So Krone packed his things and left on the steed he came on. He then travelled for many years fighting many foes on the way until eventually he came across Rakarth Firestrike his fathers brother in a city called Nagaroth. Rakarth was a very wealthy noble who understood why Krone killed his father. Rakarth let Krone live with him and he taught him all he would need to know if he were to succeed him. Rakarth one day suggested to him becoming a trainee of Khaine and Krone accepted the offer and became a Trainee in the Temple Of Khaine. He soon became the favoured student of all the teachers. They started sending him on assignments with Shadowblade himself and to this day he is still a loyal servant of Khaine.

A couple of points:

In the age of 20 an Elf is a baby. He may have just learned to walk. Then, imagine a baby killing his own father with a dagger while just awoken. Then the baby takes his father's weapons and flees riding a horse.

You become an Assassin only by being chosen by the Witch Elves as a baby (which the character seems to be) in the Death Night, who then throw the child into boiling blood. If qualified by Khaine, the child survives and he is trained to be an Adept of Khaine.

He could not possibly be sent to a mission with Shadowblade the Master Assassin. It is a rare occasion if an assassin does not work alone, and no-one would assign a Trainee with the greatest assassin of all.

Sorry for being hard, but this is how it is.
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

In the age of 20 an Elf is a baby. He may have just learned to walk. Then, imagine a baby killing his own father with a dagger while just awoken. Then the baby takes his father's weapons and flees riding a horse.

Malekith himself was wowing the courts of Ulthuan at twenty, he was only thirty nine when the whole BBQ thing happened. They'd be no more skilled than a human, but they can still function.
Druchii Discussion and History mod

Behind every mask, is a man
who can't live in his own skin.
He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

Was he? In where was that said? In the Character Creation forum I read this, Morvai's comments on a character with the age of 15 years:

Morvai wrote:It is very young. At 15 all your character can do is crap his diapers.
Elves become adults between 120 and 130. (Take shadowblade for example, he is considered very young and he is 150)

It does indeed sound horrible (Imagine, 15 years of crapping diapers) but Elves grow up slower than men.
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Keeping with the purpose of this thread, I felt a minor announcement (a clarification) could be made here.

Lately, ever more people have been accosting me to check whether their characters are up to standards. While it's alright to ask a moderator's opinion, I felt I should point out that this is not solely our privilege and ours alone. This is a forum for everyone involved in the RPG, and does not serve solely as a communication channel between players and hosts!

We encourage players to discuss amongst themselves what they like or do not like about character concepts or those in the pool. Usually, this will be faster than waiting for feedback from the hosts because, while we do keep an eye on the fora, we do not always find the time to answer in sufficient detail.

Remember: you will not be playing with just the hosts, but also with every other player in your group, so it may be a good idea to ask around for constructive criticism. Some of the players have been around for a while, and many have experience in other roleplaying games; there are many untapped fonts of knowledge lurking around here.

If you're afraid your fellow players will tear your posts to shreds, rest in our moderating responsibilities. We are dedicated to upholding the mother site's standards for courteous discussion. In other words, we've got your back. ;)
Morvai
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Morvai »

Draknir Reaverblade wrote:Was he? In where was that said? In the Character Creation forum I read this, Morvai's comments on a character with the age of 15 years:

Morvai wrote:It is very young. At 15 all your character can do is crap his diapers.
Elves become adults between 120 and 130. (Take shadowblade for example, he is considered very young and he is 150)

It does indeed sound horrible (Imagine, 15 years of crapping diapers) but Elves grow up slower than men.

Alright, I shall explain myself a little to clear up this mess.
When I said that all he could do was crap his diapers, I was being very sarcastic. Elven growth is, if I recall correctly, not that much slower then human growth. However before you are viewed as a adult you should have (just like humans) considerable age. So a normal Druchii citizen isn’t going to be taken all to serious until he reaches the age for adulthood. It’s just as our society, aslong as you aren’t 18 or 21 people are going to revere to you as “Kid”. Even if you know better then an adult and can prove it, not many will admit that you are right, because you are a “kid”.

Baring this in mind we request from our players that they make adult characters, so that everyone is taken seriously.

As on a note to the Witchking; nobility and common class have always held a difference to what age they are taken serious. While human nobles are taken seriously at the age of 12 or even 6 in some places, a commoner is most likely not taken serious until the age of 17 or 16. And since the RP will mostly resolve around Druchii commoners, we expect that they have a little more age then our all powerful King when they start there career.
Masters of Mischief (NC background)
The Black Blades (DE). W: 2 D: 2 L: 1
Beastmaster kurlan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Beastmaster kurlan »

Morvai said that for my character, which has changed and has gotten different fluff, if any mod could give feedback i would appreciate it.
i cant seem to make friends! add me to msn you losers!

Kurlan the violent (trainee of khaine)

WS: 3
S:5
T:4
D:5
I:2

two short swords, dagger, 4 throwing knives, 500 gold coins, unarmed combat skill

Group 17 Mod
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

beastmaster kurlan wrote:Morvai said that for my character, which has changed and has gotten different fluff, if any mod could give feedback i would appreciate it.
It's definitely an improvement over the last one. In my personal opinion, the character is good enough to play. There is one part I have an issue with, though, and that is this:

As she was dragged away his mother yelled to him, she told him to become a mercenary, when he had the skill he should rescue her, not before he was ready.
I realise one must take creative license, but this is a rather strange thing for a mother to say. Perhaps it would be easier to have the character swear vengeance for misdeeds committed without the need for his mother to ping a quest? There's more than sufficient cause to hold a grudge.
Beastmaster kurlan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Beastmaster kurlan »

Cheers Tarbo, I agree completely, hmm I will have to think about that.

Thanks, Kurlan
i cant seem to make friends! add me to msn you losers!

Kurlan the violent (trainee of khaine)

WS: 3
S:5
T:4
D:5
I:2

two short swords, dagger, 4 throwing knives, 500 gold coins, unarmed combat skill

Group 17 Mod