Warhammer Fantasy rules for Group 22 (now with scenario!)

Create and trade characters and discuss aspects of the RPG.

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Warhammer Fantasy rules for Group 22 (now with scenario!)

Post by Kinslayer »

I wrote these up last night, should come as a suprise to the players! If you like the idea why not playtest them and let me know how it goes! You could include them in an army, or create a scenario to play the group in!

Group 22

Group 22 are a band of six brave Druchii mercenaries, who work for the Noble Blackthorn but who can fight for another Druchii Master for the right amount of gold. They have fought together for a long time, and their combined efforts have saved their home city of Vikarh from numerous threats. Vryala is the brains of the group, she is a strong willed and tactful warrior who often finds herself at the head of the group. Fiat stands as a balance in the group, being a warrior with a preference for defensive tactics and always keeping a level head. Karonath is the groups Khainite, a ferocious fighter and sarcastic young lady who’s pretty nifty with a big sword. Phalx is one of the groups’ shades, always headstrong and with a preference for ranged weapons. Vash’nir is the shadier shade, sticking to the shadows as he finds the right balance between combat and ranged attack. Yori is the sixth and newest member of the group, a brutal warrior come dedicated healer. Together they are Group 22, the strongest, fastest, hardest bunch ever to band together in that damned cold city, Vikarh.

The group is only available to the Dark Elves army. The group uses 1 hero and 1 rare slot if taken.
The group costs 600 points.

Vryala - M5 WS5 BS5 S3 T3 W2 I6 A2 Ld9
Fiat - M5 WS5 BS4 S4 T3 W2 I6 A2 Ld9
Karonath - M5 WS6 BS4 S3 T3 W2 I7 A2 Ld9
Phalx - M5 WS5 BS6 S3 T3 W2 I5 A2 Ld8
Vash’nir - M5 WS5 BS6 S3 T3 W2 I6 A2 Ld8
Yori - M5 WS5 BS5 S4 T3 W2 I5 A2 Ld8

Group Special Rules: Eternal Hatred (see Warhammer Armies: Dark Elves), Mercenaries.

Mercenaries –
The group counts as a single unit for gaming purposes, with the following special rules:
- They move like skirmishers that must stay within 2’’ of each other. Enemy shooting suffers -2 to hit.
- Any shooting hits are randomised throughout the group by rolling a D6, where Vryala is 1 and Yori is 6.
- They use the highest leadership within the group at all times, and cannot use the generals’ leadership.
- In order to charge an enemy unit, at least 2 members of the group must be in range of that enemy.
- In combat they can all issue / accept challenges and enemy models must target them each individually.
- For every member of the group slain in close combat, the group suffers -1 to that turns combat resolution.
- Each member of the group is worth 150 victory points to the enemy if killed, and 75 points to you if still alive.

Each member of the group has certain equipment and also one magic item and one individual special rule.
These special rules will instantly cease to apply should that member of the group be slain.

Vryala
Leadership – while all six members of the group are still alive, Vryala will confer +1 Leadership to the group.
The Armour of Night – this magical armour gives Vryala a 4+ armour save.
Equipment – hand weapon, bastard sword, repeater crossbow and shield.

Fiat
Defender – if the group is charged in the front the enemy will strike in initiative order rather than going first.
(note: any models with the always strikes first rule will still always strike first, as will any impact hits)
The Helmet of Purity – this magical helmet gives Fiat a 5+ ward save.
Equipment – hand weapon, halberd, shield, sea dragon cloak and heavy armour.

Karonath
Controlled Frenzy – fights with +1 attack, but must pursue fleeing foes unless group can pass a leadership test.
(note: Karonath takes the rest of the group with her, so if she pursues the whole group must do so)
Bloodfeather – this magical Draich gives her +2 strength and the always strikes first special rule.
Equipment – 2 hand weapons, light armour and throwing daggers.

Phalx
Headstrong – if Phalx is in range of an enemy the group must pass a leadership test or charge that enemy.
(note: Phalx himself must be in range of the enemy unit, otherwise the group does not have to test leadership)
Deathspitter – this magical crossbow is move-and-fire and fires D6x multiple shots (str. 3, AP, range 24’’).
Equipment – 2 hand weapons and light armour.

Vash’nir
Smoke Bombs - Vash'nir can choose to use smoke to conceal himself in combat, in which case friendly models in base contact receives -1 to hit for that turn (including Vash'nir), but enemy models in base contact receives -2 to hit.
(note: once smoke is released, the effects remain until the combat is over, even if it lasts multiple turns.)
Cloak of Dusk – this magical cloak grants a 6+ ward save in combat and 3+ ward save against shooting.
Equipment – 2 hand weapons, repeater crossbow, and light armour.

Yori
Healer – if the group is not in combat and remains stationary for a turn and Yori himself does not fire a ranged weapon, he may distribute D3 lost wounds back to the group. This cannot resurrect dead members of the group, and cannot bring any member above their starting wounds. The rest of the group can fire as normal.
Dragons Eye Amulet – this amulet gives Yori MR(1) and the opponent must reveal magic items in base contact.
Equipment – hand weapon, double-bladed spear, repeater crossbow, heavy armour and shield.

You may have noticed there are also two mundane weapons carried by the group which do not have appropriate rules in the Warhammer Rulebook. These weapons are treated as follows:
Bastard Sword – the wielder fights with +1 WS.
Double-Bladed Spear – the wielder fights with +2 attacks, requires 2 hands to use.

(note: a bastard sword is not a hand weapon. If used alongside a shield the bearer receives both +1 armour save for the shield and +1WS for the bastard sword, but does not receive the additional +1 armour save for the ‘hand weapon and shield’ combination.)

Last edited by Kinslayer on Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

So we're a ranked unit? Else Vash'nir's special rule is useless.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

Curse you Kinslayer! I had enough modeling projects on my table, NOW THIS!
Pretty sweet though. I don't know how well we would function in a group like that. I would think our characters could be taken individually and added to other units. But we are a team!

Also, you missed my Sea Dragon Cloak. I figure it would make up for me being the only one without ranged weapons. ;)

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Sidorio
Assassin

Post by Sidorio »

Wow... I was thinking of doing something like this but never got around to it, either way I like it. I like Vashs cloak, aslong as he's not in combat he's relatively safe from gettibg hurt.

Is the 3+ Ward for Magic missiles aswell as other ranged attacks or not?
Vash’nir - WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: 2 asrai short swords, assassins dagger, silver dagger, modified repeater crossbow (20/20), hunting spear, Cloak of Dusk, full leather armour
Inventory: talisman of protection, talisman of night, smoke bombs x6, rope x2, healing balms x10, climbing axe x2, skinning knives, winter gear, Vikarh map, pouch of powder, 4 fire bombs
Mount: Dark Steed (Falken)
Gold: 2270
Skills: Stealth, Two Weapon Fighting, Basic Ride
Class: Shade
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Layne - Ah, good point! They move like skirmishers and hence the rule is useless. Replaced it with Smoke Bombs as a special rule

(I know they're technically an item, but I figured it fits pretty well as a special rule too)

Kefka - Good point. Will add a SDC to your list.

Sidorio - Just shooting attacks. The whole unit has MR(1) if Yori is alive though ;)
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Kinslayer wrote:Kefka - Good point. Will add a SDC to your list.

Hey! Does V get one too? :)
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Raneth wrote:
Kinslayer wrote:Kefka - Good point. Will add a SDC to your list.

Hey! Does V get one too? :)

You already have a 3+/2+ armour save! No more changes to equipment now though, unless something will not work as it is. It can't match your Roleplaying equipment exactly (hence the two made up weapon types!), but it has to remain balanced in-game. Vryala is pretty solid as is ;)
Sidorio
Assassin

Post by Sidorio »

I think I can live with having the smoke bombs... nothing like filling small rooms with a thick layer of smoke. :D
Vash’nir - WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: 2 asrai short swords, assassins dagger, silver dagger, modified repeater crossbow (20/20), hunting spear, Cloak of Dusk, full leather armour
Inventory: talisman of protection, talisman of night, smoke bombs x6, rope x2, healing balms x10, climbing axe x2, skinning knives, winter gear, Vikarh map, pouch of powder, 4 fire bombs
Mount: Dark Steed (Falken)
Gold: 2270
Skills: Stealth, Two Weapon Fighting, Basic Ride
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

And if one of us gets killed, V gets all sooky and loses +1 Ld? She should have another special rule, "Thank [adjective] he's gone" that makes her more awesome if Phalx dies, and so should Phalx should have the same rule with regard to her.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Dauricha
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dauricha »

Layne wrote:And if one of us gets killed, V gets all sooky and loses +1 Ld? She should have another special rule, "Thank [adjective] he's gone" that makes her more awesome if Phalx dies, and so should Phalx should have the same rule with regard to her.

True that :D lol naah really though these rules seem pretty sound but like all things they need game based testing
Phalx Tr'dasr – WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Deathspitter (5/20) 4 of these poisoned (1/2x QD, 3xSD), short sword, dagger, punching dagger (Bloodthirst Rune), shade cloak, full leather armour
Inventory: thieves tools, torches x3, healing balms x5, rope and grapple, Vikarh map, dice, winter gear, orc tusk,
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 5829
Skills: Basic Stealth, Precision Fire, Basic Ride, Frenzy, Ambidexterity,Suithenlu Khythan (1): SP2
Check out, http://thingsfrom1934.com/
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Raneth wrote:3+/3+ from where I'm standing. :P

3+ normally but 2+ if using the hand weapon and shield in combat ;)
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

As an update, here is the first SCENARIO our little band can be enjoyed within...

This is only a proxy. Feedback and Improve!

(taken from pages 75-78 of Group 22)

Group 22 Scenario
...of Gods and Dice...

The basics of the story behind this scenario are that Group 22 have been sent to the square at the back of a warehouse to box in some Druchii thugs, Darius and his warriors. Tullaris and his Executioners have gone in through the front of the warehouse and are to fight their way through to the group, ultimately scaring Darius out into the sqaure before showing up themselves. Things do, however, as usual, go tits up. Eaun Tvar, the groups arch enemy vampire nemesis, shows up just to spoil their otherwise happy day.

Player A will take charge of Group 22 (rules above) and Khaina Heartrender (rules below). Later they will take charge of Tullaris and 24 Executioners (see warhammer armies: Dark Elves)

Player B will take charge of a host of Druchii warriors (see warhammer armies: Dark Elves) and later Darius (see below) and Eaun Tvar (see below).

Player B is the attacker, but player A goes first (due to stalling player B with heaps of corpses and crates!)

- Battlefield / Deployment -

The game is played on a 4' x 4' square table, with minimal scenery other than a fallen statue (ruin) at the centre. There must be difficult terrain all down one edge of the board which comes into the battlefield for 3''. This side is Player B's deployment zone, he must start with all starting models within 3'' of this board edge. Player A deploys anywhere within 12'' of the statue. Group 22 must deploy together, Khaina Heartrender is a seperate unit (character).

Looking at it as a square,
The top side is open.
The left hand side is open.
The right hand side is 3'' of difficult terrain / the warehouse.
The bottom side is open, and is marked as the alleyway.

- Objectives -

Player B must simply kill all of Group 22 to win.

Player A must have at least one member of Group 22 survive until the end of the game (end of turn 10!)

- Playing the Scenario -

Player A starts with Group 22 deployed. Player B starts with 40 dark elf warriors deployed, who only carry hand weapons and are unarmoured. These warriors are deployed as 8 units of 5 warriors. Two units of 5 have repeater crossbows in addition to hand weapons.

Khaina may turn up for Player A from the start of turn 2 onwards. On turn 2 he shows up on a 4+, on turn 3 on a 3+, on turn 4 on a 2+, and automatically on turn 5 if not already present. He comes in from the board edge where the alleyway is marked.

Darius and his four guards (follow rules for Black Guard) may turn up from the start of turn 3. On turn 3 they show up on a 4+, on turn 4 on a 3+, on turn 5 on a 2+, and automatically on turn 6 if not already present. They arrive from the board edge marked as the warehouse.

Eaun Tvar WILL turn up exactly 1 turn after Darius turns up. She can appear anywhere within 12'' of a board edge, and counts as returning from a pursuit on the turn she arrives. If she can get into base contact with Khaina Heartrender on the turn she arrives, he takes a hit from her Staff and is out for 3 turns rather than D3.

Tullaris and 24 Executioners form a single unit of 25 models that enter from the table edge marked as the warehouse exactly 1 turn after Eaun Tvar shows up. They again count as returning from a pursuit the turn they arrive, and are free to move or charge this turn. They are not slowed by the difficult terrain as everyone else is. They must stay as a single unit, Tullaris can not leave the unit.

Should Tullaris engage Eaun Tvar, she is instantly removed from play. As soon as he comes into base contact with her, she leaves the battlefield. She is not slain, she simply disperses in a cloud of bats. As there are no victory points in this game, this does not affect the result of the game in any way.

And that's that. Below are the profiles for the new characters...

Darius simply counts as a Dark Elf Master with heavy armour and 2 hand weapons.

Khaina is a dark elf assassin with the following exeptions. He has 3 wounds, 2 hand weapons, light armour, a 4+ ward save, and 6 attacks (including his additional hand weapon).

Eaun Tvar has the following profile.
M7 WS9 BS5 S5 T4 W3 I10 A4 Ld10

she wears no armour but has a 3+ ward save.
she carries a magical weapon called The Serpents Kiss, and also causes Fear.

The Serpents Kiss is a hand weapon. Should Eaun Tvar successfully hit an opponent, that model must pass a toughness test for each hit or be reduced to 1 wound and 'incapacitated' for D3 turns. An incapacitated model can do NOTHING. The rest of the group can move on without this character, in which case they count as a single unit when they awake. On the turn they awake they can move and fight as normal. Any toughness tests that are passed are reverted to normal hits, which roll to wound as normal.