SAU IX: Lost Raiders of the Ark

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Mioralynthia taps her fingers once when she hears part of her name drop into the conversation, and rests her quill while taking a deep breath. “Well then, 'Sticky', since you insist on reserving the right to call me Lynthia, you'll be thrilled to know my first name is not Lynthia; it's Mistress.”

She folds her hands onto the table and looks over the officers, then glances outside. What is keeping that White fellow, anyway? It can't possibly be so hard to find a captain, can it?

°°°

“Actually, that's him right over there.” The corporal pointed to his far right, leaning on his spear. “Can't miss him, really.”

White snapped his head to wherever the corporal was pointing to. Without second thought, he launched himself in Tarbo's general direction, almost knocking over an unfortunate bystander, if it weren't for White's incessant: “Out of my way, out of my way, coming through!”

Tarbo dismissed the logistician he was talking to and raised an eyebrow when seeing the officer race at him. There was a look of desparation in the man's eyes, and something of a vein bulging on his forehead, and he knew better than to stand in the way. He carefully took a step back, only to find out he was the target.

White stopped barely in time, clasping his hands on Tarbo's arms and fixing him with an intense stare. “Where is Captain Lareight? I need her!”

Tarbo pulled his head back a little. There was something about the stare that told him ignorance would not be accepted without inflicting grievous and irreversible mental harm. “I'm aware that the captain has a pull on people,” he chuckled amusedly, “but, boy, have you got it bad.”

A long silence fell while the two stared witlessly at eachother. In the distance, people could be heard calling out to eachother as they maneuvered a heavy weight per wooden crane. White was the first to break the local silence.

“...What?” He shook his head quickly. “No no no, it's not me, Mioralynthia needs her.”

“Lynthia wants Anleth,” Tarbo summarized while his other eyebrow rose.

“Yes, she sent me to fetch the captain so she could take over guard duty with the suspected officers.”

“Oh, you need the captain to... right, right, I get it. Have you checked the infirmary?”

“...Yes, and the captain wasn't there, so... I was kind of hoping you knew where she was?”

“Sorry, son, I don't have my Anleth-o-compass on me,” Tarbo chuckled. “If I see her, I'll pass on the message. Other than that...” He lifted his shoulders as much he could under the circumstances.

White pressed his lips and let go of Tarbo's arms as soon as he noticed he was still holding on to them, and probably cutting off their blood circulation. “Right,” he muttered. “Thanks anyway.” Back to square one. What was he thinking? There were hundreds of elves here, why would he know where this particular one was? Dejected, he kicked away a loose pebble and shuffled along. Ah, well... at least he could enjoy the view a little.

That was the big plus of working for or with the Temple of Khaine: lots of beautiful sights to glance at. Yes, the Temple did follow recent dressing fashion in the belief that less was more. Observing some of its disciples, White found he couldn't agree more, no sir.

And there he saw a particular specimen that warranted his attention. A long-haired beauty with a slightly exotic armament, sword tapping idly against her leg, graced his view, and a grin rolled on White's lips. With the full strength of his lungs, he whistled loudly to her. The strength of the whistle surprised himself, really, but it got the point across.

“See something you like, officer?” Tarbo probed, in the meantime looking at a makeshift map of the jungle.

“Check out the brunette over there,” White elbowed him. “And she's coming this way, too.”

Tarbo turned his head with a smile, then slowly grew that same smile into a grin. “Do you know who that is?”

White's smile wavered and took a hint of disbelief. “You've got to be kidding me.”

“Captain,” Tarbo called out, clearly amused, to the approaching woman, “good to see you up and about.”

White's smile froze solid on his face, clicking his heels together, and he saluted his superior to pay her the proper respect.

Goodbye, career.

°°°

“Since, officer, of the two of us, I can be reliably said to have actually studied the arcane, it will be my expertise we reference.”

No love is lost between Stickman and Mioralynthia, and both seem to go out of their way to hammer that point home. It's an unfair match, really, with one outranking the other on several magnitudes, but at least it's entertaining to some of the others.

“Chaos plating is wellknown to entertain sorcerous capabilities while worn, and I needn't repeat the possibility of bound items,” Mioralynthia adds to the discussion.

In the meantime, something of a consensus is reached. A majority of the officers feels they can't go into combat like this, with distrust sown through the ranks either by the mere causality of the convention or the skillful manipulation of and by its members. A decision is made: postpone the raid into the night. As Malevion has already noted, the night is approaching, but you feel it will be for the best if you sit on it for a while. You're convinced the extra time can be put to good use.

Finally, White walks in through the open doorway, hiding his face by idly scratching his temple and quietly making for his seat. A few curious stares follow him, including Mioralynthia's, which he tries very hard to dodge.

“And?” the sorceress nonetheless inquires.

“She's, ah, she's on her way here,” he mentions, and slinks away a little deeper.

Anleth makes her way in as well, nodding briefly to Mioralynthia. “Milady,” she greets her, and Lynthia proficiently gathers her material. “I was told to relieve you.”

“Yes, thank you,” Lynthia replies, and makes for the door. Once there, however, she stops to add: “Captain, there was decided to postpone the raid. I'll mention it to Tarbo, but I can't make any promises.”

Anleth nods, sits down, crosses her legs and holds her heavy head. And White? He's contemplating every meaning of the word “avoidance”.

Players
  1. Moridin Nae'blis
  2. Telrunya
  3. Ashnari Doomsong
  4. SleekDD
  5. XtremeNL
  6. The Liger
  7. WhiteBoyPolka
  8. Stickman
  9. getwisteerd
  10. Malevion
  11. Spire
  12. DarQ`Zar
  13. Drakhan
  14. The Golden Arrow
    getwisteerd
  1. Malevion
  2. Drakhan
    The Golden Arrow
  1. Stickman
    Extend Deadline - Measure passes
  1. Ashnari Doomsong
  2. Malevion
  3. getwisteerd
  4. Stickman
  5. Sleek Darlka (SleekDD)
  6. The Liger
  7. XtremeNL
  8. Moridin Neyar (Moridin_Nae'blis)
  9. Drakhan
  10. DarQ`Zar

With 14 players, 8 constitute a majority.

The second deadline is set to pass between Wednesday 18h00 and Thursday 18h00 GMT (I guess I was right the first time ;) ). However, anyone who hasn't posted by the time the first deadline passes is removed from the game. Also, if I notice extending the deadline doesn't add to the discussion, I will cut it short.
Last edited by Tarbo on Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleekdd
Highborn
Location: Belgium, the only country where surrealism is a way of life.

Post by Sleekdd »

A lot of erstwhile quiet people spoke up but most managed to do so without adding anything but a vote to extend the deadline. How anything would be achieved this way escaped Darla but she was grateful for any minute she could get.

“I beg to differ, Getwisteerd. If both White and Sbod are guilty, it is reasonable to assume one would cover for the other. This does not mean that, because one defended the other, that they are both guilty. If Sbod were an infiltrator, she could easily come to the defence of White, knowing he is innocent. And then there is the possibility of Sbod being innocent and simply suspecting Moridin of being an infiltrator because he placed a random vote. If these other options are indeed possible the second step of your reasoning doesn’t work either.

Now if White is guilty, Moridin, XtremeNL, Telrunya and you, Getwisteerd, should be exonerated. If he is innocent, we learn very little.”

As White came in, Darla interrupted her lengthy exposition to witness the event. She peered her eyes a little. White seemed different…a bit smaller perhaps?

“And Stickman, while we all appreciate your input, the conclusions you draw from your own information baffle me. You claim three things: the magic being used were spells because your informant couldn’t hear anyone reciting incantations. The casters cannot wear armour. Shades simply cannot be infiltrators because they are shades.

First of all, being able to hear a lack of reciting over the clashing of weapons as well as the ubiquitous screaming that comes with an ambush is quite a feat. Second, we all know that bound items can be carried by those not knowledgeable in the ways of magic, whether they wear armour or not. Besides, chaos worshippers can wear armour and cast spells all the same. Your point about shades being incorruptible is what leaves me wondering the most. If that were true, you wouldn’t be here in this room. We are all gathered here on this raid because we are both trusted and gifted by the Temple, and still there are acts of sabotage occurring.

Perhaps it would be best you check your information and reasoning one more time.”
Great minds think alike.
So if you want diversity, try morons.
The golden arrow
Cold One Knight

Post by The golden arrow »

"Alright stickman, I don't really need to defend myself as you lack real evidence, but I'm going to tell you some facts. First you say that your man saw the murder from far away, but general Tarbo also saw it and he didn't saw anything that had to do with magic only that he was peppered with bolts. Also others have already told you how magic can be used in other ways. I only used the magic cause that's the easiest way to describe my nickname, if your offended by that it's not my problem." The Golden Arrow said with a calm voice.
Getwisteerd
Highborn
Location: The duke's forest (yes that's the name of the town I live in)

Post by Getwisteerd »

"darla I did not say both SBOD and White are guilty, is said that IF SBOD was guilty, white should be too. for if SBOD were guilty, then why would he protect an innocent? If you accept that, it is reasonable to say that if white is innocent, SBOD must be innocent, for if SBOD weren't innocent, white would be guilty too.

Now some quotes of other people, about Moridin's attack on white
For example SBOD immediately reacted with:"
"Well, Moridin. It is intersting that you would lash out at someone before they even have a chance to speak for themselves, as we had all agreed would happen. I am sorry but I cannot trust someone who would so quickly condem one of their own kin without a second thought, or even knowledge of that person. As such I am placing my suspicions upon you my dear sir."

"Sleek darla, the next speaker after that:"
“I hate to break this to you both, Moridin and Sbod, but both your actions will be to the detriment of the council.”

“ Moridin, while I agree a wild guess has to be taken, we still have time left. I suggest we spend it on allowing those have not yet spoken up to do so. But we should not just wait idly. If we are going to depend on a guess, I’d rather see it made by someone I can tentatively trust. I suggest that, if you want to contribute to the success of the council, you spend your time discussing what you learn and leave the voting for when it is called for.”

"and Ashnari, the speaker after darla:"
"Indeed, Sleek. We should first wait to see if anyone acts... out of turn, and then kill'em. Of course, we must kill someone sooner or later. Preferably sooner than later, really."

"only after this came my comment, and when placed in it's proper context I think it doesn't count as 'jumping up to defend White'

now I said earlier that I had some clues about who was Slaaneshi, and I would tell them to you after I had made sure my reasons where really thing said by that person. I am glad I didn't tell them then because I came to the conclusion that there isn't enough evidence just yet, actually there isn't any evidence I found out, and I wouldn't want to kill a loyal Khainist.

OOC: maybe I really should think before typing ;)
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Night 2 starts

Post by Tarbo »

A messenger barges into the chamber, and this time, he's not catching his breath. “Pardon the intrusion, ma'am,” the messenger excuses himself, “but I bring word that the raid is not to be postponed. Everyone is expected to head to the briefing immediately so they know what to prepare for.”

Anleth nods calmly, dismissing the messenger just as much. There's no need for her to adjourn the meeting; all of you assume your responsibilities and hurry down to the armoury, where you will be briefed and be given the opportunity to rearm.

The briefing is as part of its namesake: brief. However succinct, its meaning is clear, as is the message it is to convey to you: the sorceress coven has located what they believe to be the location of powerful magical artifacts. They couldn't well triangulate the coordinates, but when looking at the maps, you see there are only a few locations you can search out, most notably an ancient ruin there. It is considerably out of the way of the first raid, but apparently the information has been checked and double checked by two seperate covens.

Then it is up to you. Now that the location is known, the officers prepare for the journey into the jungle, under the cover of night. The mission statement is simple: find and recover any and all artifacts encountered. Time will tell how simple the mission will turn out to be.

°°°

Darkness envelops the expedition. It is darker in a jungle than in a normal forest at night, with the overgrowth blocking out much of the moonlight. A lone parrot can be heard crowing, some bizarre reflection of the owl in more temperate climates.

The torches can light only so much. At most every angle, you are staring down a tree-lined corridor into an inky blackness. The occasional vine creeps down your neck as you walk, leaving you to wonder whether there is some life in this jungle escaping your peripheral senses. You make no noise, no sound, no speech; silence is the motto here. You don't want to wake the slumbering giant that is this biosphere.

The expedition stops regularly to check the maps; inaccurate as they may be, they are all you have, and they have to work. What else will you do?

°°°

“I don't like this,” XtremeNL mentioned under his breath while looking around. He felt the jungle creeping on him like walls closing in from every angle.

“What else can we do?” Golden Arrow looked over her own shoulder, paranoia seeping into a shiver of her spine when seeing XtremeNL look about himself every so often. She wished he'd stop doing that. “We have to do this, we have no choice.”

“I agree it's the only thing we can do,” XtremeNL explained readily, then threw another look over his right shoulder before advancing with the rest of the lines. “That doesn't mean I have to like this.”

“Do you think the saboteurs will strike again?” Golden Arrow wasn't scared, she was curious. The thought had crossed her mind so suddenly, the question simply popped out. Given that XtremeNL was of a more learned bend than most Druchii, it only made sense to query him every so often.

“If they don't, we're better off heading back the way we came,” came the reply. “If they don't even bother to sabotage this treasure hunt... well, let's just say it makes me doubt the use of it.”

Golden Arrow nodded quietly, letting that sink with her. She also made a mental note never to ask XtremeNL anything again, ever.

°°°

Anleth quietly made her way up the jungle cliff overseeing the clearing ahead. She kept low and hopefully out of sight, although she had nowhere near the training a shade would have. That made sense, since she wasn't a shade, and she had no ambition to be one, either. She was content being an officer of the Temple Guard.

Ahead of them was a large pyramid, seemingly a ruined structure in an abandoned city. Looks deceived, however, so the expedition had not gone straight in, and caution was taken to prepare a possible assault of potential guards, or fend off an ambush if need be. Anleth hoped it wouldn't come to that; no matter how well prepared an armed force was, an ambush always caught you at the disadvantage.

When she approached the pinnacle, she went down to her knees and finally lied down next to Tarbo, who was lengthily peeking over the stone protrusion with his monocular. “You wanted to see me, sir?”

“I wanted you to see this,” he said while pointing ahead to the clearing below. He passed her his monocular and rested his chin on his hands, looking at the large pyramid ahead.

A sultry wind blew past while she scanned the environment with the monocular, trying to find points of interest.

There was a large plaza leading to the pyramid, overgrown with mosses and grass, hiding or breaking at least half the heavy tiles. Stone totems stood tall, arrayed as if leading a corridor to the pyramid entrance. The entrance itself looked unbarred, even plainly open, which bothered Anleth to some extent; would there still be artifacts inside?

There were various other structures–mostly just smaller pyramids—surrounding the central structure. It was possible the actual artifacts would be hidden in one of these smaller structures.

“I don't see any signs of life,” Anleth finally said. “No torches, no movement. If there are guards here, they know we're coming and set up an ambush. But the city is too open for an ambush.”

Tarbo nodded in agreement, and he was happy to hear Anleth come to the same conclusion. “Unless they're hiding in the pyramids, in which case they need some sort of alarm to alert them to our presence. I'll give the go-ahead; you close up the ranks. By the way, the black really suits you.”

Anleth lowered the monocular briefly while Tarbo rose to his feet. “Oh. Well, thank you, sir.” Promptly, she returned to watching the plaza. There was something not right about this.

°°°

The insides of the main pyramid were no less vacated than the surrounding ruins. Most of the soldiers had remained outside, with only a small detachment following the officers inside. There wasn't a lot of room to maneuver, and larger groups would just mean more casualties in case something went wrong.

The torches shed a golden light on the large, hewn stones that made the inside structure, the long corridors owing their rigidness to precise artisanship and impressive architectural accomplishments. Long since abandoned cobwebs hung from the ceiling and gathered in wind-swept patches of dust on the floor.

Finally, the expedition reached a square, large center chamber, some kind of inner plaza. Several flights of stairs extended to every quarter of the compass, while other doorways led to more obscure parts of the pyramid, and two staircases each led down in another direction, one heading southwest, the other due east.

Spire checked his journal again. Therein, he had copied a few of the old maps that raiders once made of other pyramids; his notes were then copied onto other maps and given to other officers if they were to split up in groups. It wouldn't be easy to find the artifacts in here but, luckily, Spire had pieced enough together from the other pyramids to be able to orientate in this one, even if it was much larger than the others.

“These stairs go deep,” Telrunya said while he peered down into the darkness. “There might be some understructure.” He checked with the others, gauging the worth to investigate.

Tarbo nodded in agreement; the pyramid was too huge to cover with a single party in a single night. “We're splitting up,” he stated the only obvious solution—after all, coming back may not have been an option. “Remember to have a map in each party, and stick together. Sergeant, stay here and set up torches so we can find our way back.”

°°°

“What does it say?”

Spire didn't reply to that; he was still trying to decipher the scripture on the wall. It was in a bad state, damaged by dust erosion and perhaps even an earthquake, and most of the symbols could not be translated 1-on-1 to the elven language. He merely raised his index finger to urge patience. “We want to get this right,” he added.

Sleek Darla wasn't so much impatient as wondering whether there was any progress. While happy to see Spire was still on the job, she had rather progress were quicker. After all, there was still a lot to explore. She chewed on some more leaves and quietly blew some air out her nose.

“To he who wish to treasure mass,” Spire slowly made out from his journal, doublechecking his work, “lest spelt my name will not pass.”

“Name? Whose?” DarQ`Zar asked, looking around for a clue, any clue. “And where?”

Spire nodded quietly, agreeing that the transscript was vague at best. He looked around as well, trying to find a hint of identity. But then, it dawned to him: “Pyramids are erected in tribute to someone or something. If we find who this pyramid is dedicated to, we will have the answer.”

“So... who is it dedicated to?” Darla asked the obvious. In any other situation, people would've snorted at the question, but now all she had returned were blank stares.

°°°

“I don't think we're getting anywhere.” Telrunya's voice echoed into the giant chasm just in front of him. The crevasse spanned a few dozen yards ahead of him, and didn't seem to end in either direction. The understructure room was large, huge even, but since this chasm spanned the entire area, there seemed no way to circumvent it.

Loose vines hung from the ceiling, growing through cracks in the floor above. The ceiling was far too high to simply jump and grab one, Moridin found. Even if he did manage to grab one, there was no telling whether the vines would actually hold a grown elf, let alone span the entire way across the chasm. Still, he entertained the idea of crossing it, and he stated the possibility as a rhetorical question: “Perhaps we can climb across via the ceiling?”

Tarbo pulled his chin and stared sightlessly into the chasm. Engineers wouldn't be able to build a bridge across without having at least one man on the other side, and preferrably two. He wondered about the damage such a tear in the earth would have done to the rest of the structure, and imagined there would be more rooms with similar damage, not to mention some areas would be entirely inaccessible. But treasure chambers, as a tribute to a god, should be architecturally solid, no?

“Hey, look at this,” getwisteerd suddenly called for the others to join her at the wall. “There are vines growing out of the wall, too.” She pulled on a few thick, live specimens and found them to be very sturdy indeed. Probing, she tried a single step up the wall, holding onto a flurry of vines tightly, and found her weight supported well. “I think we can actually make it across this way.”

“Assuming the chasm hasn't torn a hole into the entire wall as well,” Moridin countered when thinking of it, “and the vines support our weight, and that there actually still is another side to get to.” The tone of his voice told others he entertained the idea, but he just wanted everyone to know the risks.

“It's a risk we'll have to take,” Tarbo took the decision. “We'll let one man climb across, see where it gets him or her, and call out once they reach the other side.” But who to send? He looked over the officers and went over their abilities. Tough choice, especially since chances were real he'd be sending one of them to certain death.

°°°

“Well, at least we know where we should spell.” DarQ`Zar's voice hung idly in the large room, as if waiting for silence to swallow it whole. The room spanned two floors, and a flight of stairs descended to the tiled space.

Large tiles, each holding a single symbol, and each just over a square yard in size, barred entrance to a single door on the other side. There was no way around, only over those glyhps, and the clear centering of the slabs left little to wonder to their purpose: simply walking over them would not be appreciated.

Spire nodded at DarQ`Zar's remark, agreeing while copying the tiles' location and glyphs into his journal. That indeed left the question of what to spell, and what the penalties of error would be. He took a few steps down, then held, honing his ears. “Does anyone else hear that?”

A low, deep, roaring sound rose from the floor. When Ligressa stroked it with her hand, she found it to be notably warmer than these stones should be. “Fire?” she guessed, although there was a hint of disbelief in her voice. Fire would need sustenance of some kind, except if it were magical, and she sensed nothing of the sort.

“The moon,” Anleth suddenly recalled, wholly out of order. When the gazes of others urged her to explain, she continued: “The totems on the plaza outside, they bore depictions of salamanders and the moon.”

Ligressa frowned and looked at the glyphs. There was no way to spell 'moon' there and reach the other side; there were simply too little symbols in the word. But the moon was a viable avatar for a god, so it was a viable angle to start from.

“The moon is also in the constellation of the salamander at both equinoces,” Spire suddenly said. “We may not need to describe the moon, but the entire salamander constellation, naming each of the stars in the correct order.”

“You're joking, right?” Golden Arrow raised. “Advanced astronomy in the middle of a pyramid?”

But the symbols seemed to match well enough to give credit to the theory. Now it was only a matter of finding the correct order and representation of the stars, but to that, Spire had a solution; it was only a matter of mixing and matching in his journal. He passed his journal to XtremeNL and went down the stairs. “I have them memorised, keep this in case something goes wrong.”

“For Khaine's sake, be careful,” Darla called after him.

When Spire set a foot on the first glyph, a collective silence fell, momentarily expecting the worst.

Nothing happened.

“Alright!” XtremeNL suddenly yelled, exhilerated. “Score one for the good guys!” While the others shared his enthousiasm to varying degrees, there was definitely consensus.

Slowly, cautiously, Spire reached and jumped from glyph to glyph, his impressive size helping him to make more difficult transitions. “Song is 'galhik',” he said to himself as much as the others, spelling it on the glyphs. “Tail is—”

Suddenly the tile Spire was standing on gave under his weight. “Oh, sh—!” A true conflagration erupted instantly as fire reached fresh oxygen in a near explosion, scorching Spire and part of the ceiling, and destroying any foothold. With nothing to hold onto, Spire's remains fell into a deep, boiling puddle of magma roaring in the cavernous depths below. So that was what Ligressa noticed earlier.

“omfgwtfbbq!”

“What happened?” Darla asked what everyone else wanted to know, surprise keeping her voice loud and clear.

“I don't know,” XtremeNL said while looking over the notes, inviting everyone else to look along with him. “He did exactly what he wrote down.”

“Shouldn't that be double 'S' there?” Ligressa noted when looking in the journal.

“No, he most definitely got it righ—” XtremeNL opened his eyes widely and stared at Ligressa. “No...”

“I think it's single 'S' in the new spelling, but I think the riddle's still in the old one.”

“Alright. So, double 'S'.” XtremeNL jots it down in the journal and takes a deep breath. “Anyone else want to give it a spin?”

Enthousiasm has understandably cooled.

“I see. Did anybody bring straws?”

Trivia Questions

What made Spire spring a trap?
  1. he spelled the name of the wrong deity;
  2. he didn't make the jump from one glyph to another;
  3. he had one of the symbols reversed;
  4. he misspelled the deity's name.
What is Anleth's primary occupation?
  1. Captain of the Coast Guard;
  2. Captain of the Black Guard;
  3. Captain of the Temple Guard;
  4. Captain of the City Guard.
Where did Morvai's fight go wrong?
  1. he was disarmed by a saurus warrior;
  2. his mace was made out of chocolate;
  3. a skink shaman knocked him down;
  4. he was trampled by a stegadon.
White was looking for Tarbo...
  1. because he needs to relay a message to him;
  2. to ask him where Anleth is;
  3. to borrow his compass;
  4. to postpone the expedition.
The floor under Spire's party was unusually warm. How so?
  1. magma flows in a cavern under the floor;
  2. it is magically heated;
  3. there are ashes from torches scattered;
  4. it's very cold outside, so the inside is warmer.

Minigame for the Night

Start with four, no more, no less,
take away my first, and take it away again,
what you have should rhyhme then.

Code: Select all

_ _

Players
  1. Moridin Nae'blis
  2. Telrunya
  3. Ashnari Doomsong
  4. SleekDD
  5. XtremeNL
  6. The Liger
  7. WhiteBoyPolka
  8. Stickman
  9. getwisteerd
  10. Malevion
  11. DarQ`Zar
  12. Drakhan
  13. The Golden Arrow
    getwisteerd
  1. Malevion
  2. Drakhan
    The Golden Arrow
  1. Stickman
    Extend Deadline - Measure REVOKED
  1. Ashnari Doomsong
  2. Malevion
  3. getwisteerd
  4. Stickman
  5. Sleek Darla (SleekDD)
  6. The Liger
  7. XtremeNL
  8. Moridin Neyar (Moridin_Nae'blis)
  9. Drakhan
  10. DarQ`Zar
    "Deaths"
  1. SBOD (Witch Elf) - Day 1
  2. Morvai (Paladin) - Night 1
  3. Spire (Archeologist) - Day 2 (inactivity)
I haven't heard from Spire since the last time he posted publicly (Day 1), and he never received my deadline reminders. I'm afraid we have to let him go.

It is now Night. Everyone should PM me with the following information:
  • whether or not you use any abilities you have, and how;
  • whether you want to solve the trivia, and possibly your answers;
  • whether you want to try the minigame, and possibly your answer.

The motion to extend the deadline was revoked. Check the OOC thread for information and to post any comments or questions you may have.

The deadline for the Night is set to be Friday, 18h00 GMT.
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

“I've got to give it to you,” Moridin said while looking up at the wall. “That's a brass pair you've got there.”

Telrunya was already hanging from the wall, about a yard up, and was climbing sideways to the chasm. Looking down was discouraged, he recalled. Kind of useless too, not like you could actually see the bottom of the gap from up there, or anywhere else for that matter.

The others stared intensely, wordlessly, while Telrunya clambered over the wall, timely holding onto vines to support his weight. He was hanging precariously far over the chasm; one misstep and he was going the long way down. Having the lantern attached to his girdle, he could see a bit ahead, and others could monitor his progress clearly. Progress was slow, but steady.

“The wall ends here,” Telrunya called out, breaking the long, tensed silence. “There's no foothold below, I'll see if I can go over it.” There wasn't a lot of room between him and the ceiling anymore; the vines grew remarkably thinner deeper down, and viable grip was gone as well, leaving his only way ever further up.

Suddenly, a shard of brittle stone broke off under Telrunya's feet. In a quick reflex, he snatched the nearest vine hanging from the ceiling, and hung idly in the air while pebbles echoed ticks on their long, long way down; he didn't really hear them hit the floor. He released his held breath, and thanked his lucky stars for grabbing a sturdy vine from all the flimsy ones.

“I'm okay!” he called out. “I'm okay!” He kept a smile on his lips in case others could see, then climbed up and took a few deep breaths to calm him down, muttering to himself: “I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die...”

Having regained his grip, Telrunya proceeded against the wall, over the ceiling, taunting gravity with little more to help him than vines and rocky protrusions. The alleged earthquake that passed eons ago had torn rock through stone, destroying the artificial architecture, perverting the room into a twisted reflection of itself as it would be in Nature.

Below him, the inky blackness exhuded a cold, stagnant breath, like the gaping maw of a deity calling for him to let go and embrace his fate. Telrunya quietly stared down a while longer, trying to discern shape, sound, anything from the darkness. If he didn't know any better, the world unmistakenly did end there, and who knew what lied beyond.

With a solid thud, he set foot on the other side. He could hear the cheers from the other side as soon as he called out he made it, and looked right at a tall, strange edifice depicting what seemed like the sun or the moon; he couldn't be sure in this darkness.

Now, the others cautiously climbed the wall, following Telrunya's previous lead, having memorised his steps, and following marks he left on the wall. Another obstacle crossed, another step closer to fulfilling the mission. Idly, he wondered how the other expedition fared.

°°°

“Now two to your left.”

White carefully leapt over the first tile to his left and landed on the second. He didn't really have a problem with these—it was just like the regular training he endured—but there usually wasn't such a downside to slipping up. Like being impaled on a pillar of flame, or falling in a pool of boiling magma, or other such thoroughly unpleasant events that presented themselves here.

The best part was that he hadn't even drawn the shortest straw. No, indeed he hadn't, but the guy who had was deemed too important to the expedition, so they had to pick someone else. There was no use protesting; someone had to do it, and that someone might just as well be him. But it still stung a little.

“Now, do you see a circle with a triangle sticking out from the left?” Ligressa called out, looking at the notes.

White looked about and indeed saw such a tile. However, the tile was a good three yards away, and he didn't exactly have a lot runway to gain some momentum. So he stepped back as far as he could, took a deep breath, and ran.

XtremeNL frowned. “A circle doesn't have a left side.”

Dust flew up from the glyphs as White hit every brake he had, timely stopping but bending over precariously, waving his arms wildly through thin air, before finally balancing on a single heel and taking a step back. He closed his eyes and took a few deep, calming breaths, pleading to his nerves to not let him burst into a whirlwind of incessant reciting of expletives. He barely succeeded.

“Well, sure it does,” Ligressa pointed in the notes. “See, it has a triangle with the base sticking out to the left.”

“Yes, you're right there,” XtremeNL admitted, “but the thing is that officer White can't see which side is the left side of the circle. After all, it's a perfectly symmetric figure.” He looked up from the notes, saw White had yet to jump, and simply smiled at him. “Oh, go right ahead, officer. We're just conversing.”

“I thought you just said—”

“It's not like he can reach any of the other ones,” he adjected cursorily.

White shot a brief, pointed look at the assembly on the stairs and prepared for the jump. He wasn't as tall as Spire was, so some of the jumps were more difficult than they seemed at first, but he made this one with relative ease. Idly, he wondered how those bipedal lizards were supposed to cross these tiles. They probably didn't weigh enough to trigger any of the traps. Which made him wonder again why none of the females tried the riddle. Probably something about chivalry and stuff like that.

“Now, you need to cross four tiles for the one after this,” Ligressa said while looking closely at the journal. “That's just over four-and-a-half yards, so you're going to have to run and jump. The first one is three tiles dead ahead, the other is another four tiles through, and one to the right.”

Three ahead, then another four, and one to the right. White rubbed his hands, took a few deep breaths, and held his fingers to both his temples. Okay, focus, focus... you can do this, White. With a sudden dash and a burst of energy, White jumped for the first tile, then made a shallow turn and leapt as far as he could to get the second. It would be close, but he would make it, he happily found out in midair.

But XtremeNL frowned. Something didn't make sense in the journal. “Five!” he suddenly yelled. “It's five tiles through!”

Already soaring through the air, White's eyes opened widely, barely biting back a reference to excrements. He clawed his arms wildly through the air, as if he could actually grab it and use it to pull him up, but landed a tile short. Instantly, the brittle material succumbed to the sudden pressure, giving way to the searing magma below. Luck shone on White, as his forward momentum slammed his body flatly onto the brittle floor with a deep grunt, and slid him to the tile he needed while the floor behind—and partly under—him collapsed and melted few moments later.

“Ghastly handwriting,” XtremeNL mumbled while pushing his glasses further up the bridge of his nose.

There was a long silence before White opened one of his eyes, carefully peering around, his arms and legs clasped around the one square yard that held him aloft a fiery death below. A couple of seconds later, he opened his second eye, and looked around. Instantly, he sprung to his feet, waving his arms wildly at the party on the stairs, and simultaneously pointing down to the red mass of molten rock. “Frak! ... FRAK! I almost fell in there, you frigging academy dropouts! I'm gonna drag your frigging asses over here and personally kick you all the frig down, you frigging boneheads! Frak! Ass!”

Golden Arrow raised her brows gently, then returned her attention to Spire's notes. “Spirited little fellow.”

“Mm-yes,” XtremeNL mumbled, concentrating on the task of deciphering the handwriting. “I wish he invested the energy in jumping.”

“Officer, please compose yourself,” Anleth cut in, extending her arm to White, who was dozens of yards off. She tried to temper him with a sympathetic look, and it worked, partly.

White turned for the next-to-last jump, taking a few deep breaths in an effort to calm. He stared at the door so very close to him for the longest time, then suddenly spun around again and yelled at the top of his lungs: “Frakking quacks!

°°°

Tarbo dusted off his hands while looking at the giant edifice Telrunya was examining. There hadn't been a lot of progress in figuring out what it was, only that the door was barred and sealed; the seal apparently couldn't be broken by force. Sure, there would be a lever or combination of some kind to open the seal and the door nicely, but the expedition wasn't of an archeological nature, so there was no point in trying things by the book. “What've you got?”

Telrunya pointed to his left, kneeled by the door. “There is some kind of panel with symbols there. I'm guessing we should push the buttons in a certain order to open this door.” He tried sliding his sword through a crack somewhere, but had no such luck; the door was sealed tightly. It was both a disappointment as a hint of things to come; if someone would go through the effort of erecting such a structure and devising a lock mechanism, chances were real there was real treasure behind it, and not merely a few trinkets sacrificed to a lesser deity.

Ashnari frowned while staring at the panel, trying to decipher the meaning. He was all too happy to be of service, seeing as he had no particular fondness of heights—or depths, for that matter—and found crossing over the chasm to be anything but comfortable. “There could be a simple calculational order to this,” he muttered, “leaving us to find out what we're counting.”

“A calculus?” Telrunya asked him. “Do you mean the symbols represent numbers of a kind? Or at least support an isomorphism of some kind?”

“I'm thinking it has something to do with prime numbers,” Ashnari mentioned, giving Telrunya some room to study the panel. “But I'm not sure we should just press the buttons, what with these holes here...”

Telrunya approached the panel and stared at the cavities Ashnari mentioned. Indeed, they seemed to have little purpose to the panel, so they probably were a defense mechanism of some sort. Which would be bad, considering there was no way to be sure which combination was the proper one. “So, how are we going to open the door?”

They stared at eachother for a while, then rolled their eyes to another member of the team.

“Oh, Stickman!” Ashnari called out. “Come give us a hand, would you?”

°°°

Earlier that night...

A dark, sandy chamber. Shadows shift about as figures move through them, nearing one of the corners. Finally, their faces become visible.

“Report,” the leader says, toneless.

“We've managed to rig one of the defense mechanisms,” one replied. “Justice... shall come from above.”

He nods once with a smirk, having at least some idea of what his accomplices have in mind. “What about the others?”

“We're keeping an eye on them,” another tags in. “Nobody's moving without us knowing about it.”

“The runes?”

“All but deciphered. We're piecing it together as we speak.”

A savage grin turns on the leader's face, showing one of his eyeteeth shining in the shallow light. “The council took a day off, yesterday. Let's make them regret it.”

°°°

Once White had passed the symbol test, he had pulled a lever that showed a hidden entrance, allowing the others of the party free entry through the alternate route without having to jump over the fiery pit, themselves. The gesture was much appreciated.

The room that the intricate seal had protected was a large, sober room with a dried fountain in the center. There was a distinct lack of pillars, and lighting was difficult with the lack of refracting surfaces, although a few strange crystals seemed to give the room an eerie blue atmospheric hue, sufficient to see. Of promised treasure, artifacts or hidden wealth, however, was no trace. A cold, dusty draft swept over the floor.

“Well, this sucks,” Darla finally broke the intense silence.

Anleth nodded in agreement, hands on her hips. Troves, alcoves, empty chests; there was every indication that this room was once filled with all manner of treasures. Now, however, it was void of anything of value, safe perhaps the glowing crystals. She tapped one of them to judge its strength, with the thought of possibly using it as an alternate lightsource, seeing how her lantern was at its dying breath.

From the room, a foursome of corridors and doorways extended to every quarter of the compass. One they came through, and unmistakenly led back the way they came; two others they proceeded to investigate with all haste and thoroughness, but their efforts were wasted and pointless. Finally, that left them only the single one due ahead of them, opposite the entrance. Chances were slim that the last one contained anything worth raiding—or even archiving, for that matter—but it was worth a shot.

The hallways were strangely wide, about as wide as they were tall, being about one-and-a-half, maybe two times the height of an average elf. This one even sloped up a little; it was a strange notion and had no architectural consistency with the rest of the structure whatsoever. But it wasn't the first abnormality the party had encountered, and they passed over it. After all, they weren't in Naggaroth anymore.

“Dead end,” Anleth sighed when light reflected off a wall ahead of her. All manner of symbols had themselves graven into the massives stones that made up the structure, but other than adding to the picturesque, there was no clear indication of what they meant. And their archeologist had gone on to greener pastures. “Alright,” she collected her courage and energy, “let's pat it down, check for any hidden switches.” She went down to her knees in the dust, and others followed her example.

“Wonderful,” White's mutter echoed out of the corridor. “I almost became officer of the Guard Flambé just so we can stare at the artistic leftovers of a lizard.”

“At least you made it,” Malevion noted. “Somebody up there must like you.”

“Like me... Yeah, right,” White snorted at the thought. “First they send me halfway across the world to steal some metal plaques from a jungle in the middle of Isla Nublar, then I get to dodge being kebabbed or roasted in some godforsaken triangle that hasn't been dusted off since the continents separated, and you tell me somebody up there likes us?”

Malevion lifted his shoulders and continued looking for anything that could resemble a hidden entrance. Surely, there had to be something to warrant such defensive measures? But what if the empty chest and alcoves and troves really were the remnants of a once glorious treasury, and were now... moved or possibly even raided before?

°°°

“So, first the left one, then the right one, twice the upper one, and finally the left one again?” Stickman made doubly sure he had it right, standing in front of the mysterious panel that supposedly opened the door. He wondered how the others could be so very sure so quickly, but then again, they were supposed to be the experts.

“Yes, that's about it,” Ashnari yelled from behind a giant rock, where most of the others were hiding behind. “Let us know what happens!”

Stickman shook his head with a sigh and pushed the buttons in the order he was told. Left, right, upper, upper... hang on, which side was left again? He rolled his eyes up momentarily, recalling what he had just done and marrying it with the concepts of left and right. No match. Suddenly, a noise erupted from behind the panel as massive spikes sprung their trap.

It was remarkably quiet, Drakhan noted; maybe a little bit too quiet. He opened his eyes and dared a peek at what would be the deadest elf he had ever seen, but what he found was even stranger.

Stickman had managed to avoid each and every one of the spikes aiming to impale him, mimicking a silhouette of questionable grace and elegance, but an unmistakeable amount of luck, precision, and speed. He skipped his eyes about, otherwise not moving a single muscle. He didn't feel impaled... “Let me try that again,” he called out.

°°°

“I can't find a thing,” Ligressa sighed. “And I would've noticed anything magical by now.” She polled her colleague, Golden Arrow, for any magical hints, but was returned a disappointing look. Nothing.

“Oh, come on!” White yelled out. “There's got to be something!”

“We're not giving up yet, officer,” Anleth replied while stroking and nudging some of the stones. She put her weight against one of them, but found that it didn't budge a single bit. Truth be told, her own conviction was starting to waver, but she wouldn't let the others know that; morale was already a bit low as it was.

“I can't believe this!” White turned to the left wall and kicked it once. “Damnation! I almost got combusted and all we find are some shimmering crystals and a handful of glyphs some lizard doodled? Is this why we got all the way out here?” Frustrated, he kicked the wall repeatedly as hard as he could. “Khaine's glory! My! Frigging! Ass!”

With the last blow, one of the stones suddenly gave and slowly retreated into the wall. A collective silence, intertwined by the massive brick sliding neatly into a compartment, fell over the officers while staring witlessly at White's accomplishment.

“...the hell?” the man himself added.

A sudden rumble shook the corridor, and a massive slab above the party moved aside surprisingly quick for a stone its size. White's eyes opened widely when he saw what the slab was supposed to hold: an equally massive, giant ball of rock. And once gravity had its way with it, it came right at him.

Malevion and Darla dove aside, barely missing the impact, while White took to the other direction, narrowly avoiding being squashed under the solid rock with perfect spherical symmetry. But then, the sloping ground and the strange dimensions of the hallway revealed their sinister purpose: accomodating for this death trap. Once down on the floor, the ball gently started rolling at White.

“Oh, you've got to be kidding me!” White turned sharply on his heels and started running while the massive danger lurked on him with waxing momentum. “Come on, I was kidding!” he screamed as he was chased down the hallway by the giant, granite ball. “I didn't mean it like that, I swear! I'll never do it again, never ever!”

Ahead of him lied the fiery trap he earlier had the questionable pleasure of breaking in. With nowhere else to run or hide, he merely went as fast he could, brutally ignoring the intricate sequence and soaring over while barely touching any of the tiles that crumbled behind him. “Come on, it's not funny anymore! Why do you hate me!?”

But then, he had a very dread notion as he saw the path ahead of him.

Dead end.

°°°

“Ladies and gentlemen, I believe we've hit jackpot.”

Tarbo grinned visibly when looking over the treasury the party had just found. The room was not as glamourous as one would expect such a treasury to be, but the contents would more than make up for the soldier wages, not to mention leave everyone, including the Temple, a nice share to live with.

Massive, dusty stones walled the equally large chamber, introducing a very sturdy, lasting, and humbling feel with everyone standing within. This truly was a show of impressive architectural understanding. But that wasn't why they were here.

With the engineers now building a bridge over the chasm, shipping the treasures out of the chamber wouldn't be any real trouble. The question remained, however, of whether there were any magical artifacts contained, the real and only reason for their presence. That was an answer that could be given once the trinkets were catalogued, inventoried, and subsequently archived, a task the assembly could commence while the bridge was still being built.

There was a slow, distant rumble. Getwisteerd held still, honing her senses and concentrating her hearing. An earthquake? No, she told herself, it was too distant and high to be an earthquake as such, and to the extent of her knowledge, it couldn't be any safety mechanism either. Which made her wonder... perhaps it was a part of the pyramid collapsing? After all, the giant chasm proved that the structure had suffered extensive damage, and she had no idea in what shape the upper chambers would be. “Does anyone else hear that?”

Drakhan nodded and kneeled, pressing his hand on the floor. After listening intently, he looked at Getwisteerd: “Whatever it is, it's coming this way.”

Alarmed, the company looked about. Was this some intricate defense? Perhaps some crude, indigenous trap, such as the ceiling coming down on them, or the walls moving? Drakhan dashed to the walls to ascertain it wouldn't be the latter. He put his full weight against it, not in an effort to stop it, but to notice every detail in movement. The rumbling was getting louder and, more importantly, closer.

Curious, Drakhan carefully put his ear to the massive stones. He thought he heard... yelling? When straining his hearing, he picked a sudden but distant thud. He frowned.

Instantly, several grand slabs next to him shoved half a foot into the room under a massive impact, catapulting dust into every possible direction.

°°°

Back in the center chamber, where the parties had split up. You enjoy the brief respite you have, resting your tired muscles, and clearing the dust off you; some have seen more of that than others, and there is some mild rivalry between the two parties over their discrepancy in success, but you've been assured by Tarbo that is was a matter of luck more than skill or leadership. You imagine that's of little help to Captain Lareight who, as you've overheard her say herself, “managed to combust the only archeologist we have, not to mention sandwich a man between a rock and a metric tonne of granite.” Whether you blame her or not is in your own mind; you know better than to publicly question authority at this time, especially since she seems to be in charge of interrogation.

As you are still in the pyramid, albeit in a giant center chamber, you have to make due with what you have. You're all sitting near the centerpiece, some sort of obelisk piercing the sandy, stagnant air in the room. There is a constant background noise from people walking about, categorying the treasures, and guards securing the immediate area. While you 'rest' and come to your senses with rationed food and water, the topic of sabotage is raised again, and you find yourself holding session in the very chamber, slanted on the giant flight of stairs.

This time, your host is tentatively Tarbo, who is signing certificates and approving shipping of certain artifacts while keeping others here for further clues and investigation. After all, if this pyramid was filled to the nook with magical dojiggers, anyone with an inkling of magical affinity would've noticed, and noone has. So there should be a continuing search to pinpoint their location, for which you will need at least a few representative pieces.

In a corner to your far right, you see a makeshift interrogation room being made, with hot coals heating their irons, and a variety of tools that belong in either the advanced Slaaneshi parties or the new interrogation plus program. You're not sure what experience Captain Lareight has with this kind of interrogation, but she does seem to know her way around the tools at her disposal. When she shoots a glance at you, you quickly focus back on the council at hand.

1. Moridin Nae'blis
  2. Telrunya
  3. Ashnari Doomsong
  4. SleekDD
  5. XtremeNL
  6. The Liger
  7. Stickman
  8. getwisteerd
  9. Malevion
  10. DarQ`Zar
  11. Drakhan
  12. The Golden Arrow
    "Deaths"
  1. SBOD (Witch Elf) - Day 1
  2. Morvai (Paladin) - Night 1
  3. Spire (Archeologist) - Day 2 (inactivity)
  4. WhiteBoyPolka (Temple Guard) - Night 2

Team Slaanesh takes the lead!

It is now Day. You may converse as wished, although everyone is required to post at least once before the deadline passes.

The deadline is set to pass between Monday 20h30 and Tuesday 20h30, GMT.
Sleekdd
Highborn

Post by Sleekdd »

Sleek Darla took a seat on one of the many stairs, making sure she was comfortably high because it gave her the feeling of freedom. Being at the bottom of a pit was hardly a comfortable place to be, unless you’re a mole or something.

“Well, yesterday was a waste of time.”

She stopped and cocked her head, thinking on it.

“Actually, that’s not true. My discussion with Getwisteerd did make me believe he is in fact innocent if at odds with the art of wording his thoughts.

The unfortunate demise of White didn’t really help us to determine the allegiance of Getwisteerd, Telrunya, XtremeNL or Moridin. Had he been guilty, things would be different, but then again, he wouldn’t have perished either.

Personally, this places me at a dilemma. I have no more leads to follow. This might have been different had the other esteemed members actually bothered to contribute anything. The only thing this teaches me is the following; if those who speak up have yet to leave any clues over the course of two days, we might want to consider Drakhan’s idea to turn our attention to those going at great lengths to avoid just that.

The problem with that approach, obviously, is that the difference between a saboteur hiding in silence and an officer is very hard to see. So, before we continue down this path, I’d like to ask if anyone has learned something of value to direct our efforts.”
Great minds think alike.
Stickman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Stickman »

With his eyes flaring, Stickman yelled at the officers.

"I have just about had it up to here with all of you! Everyone here is going in circles, and no one will listen to anyone! We wasted a freakin day, and the Slaaneshi are starting to overtake us! Everyone complains about not having information, and when I supply everyone with some, you don't flippin believe me! I risked my life for all of the tresures that we now have, and all I ask in return is that you all just believe me and just vote for The Golden Arrow."

With a long sigh, and the calming of his temper, he continued,

"My information is correct and it is reliable. I have had time to think it over, and my guess is that there are 4 Slaaneshi 2 that are sorcresses. There are a few others that I'm suspicious of, but I won't name them in fear of being killed. Please all I ask is that you join with me just this once. It is better than a wild goose chase. Oh and Moridin, you might want to watch yourself, because maybe your vote wasn't so random, seeing how you were the first to vote for an innocent man. Also, if any of you think I'm suscious because I'm angry, then god help us."
Getwisteerd
Highborn

Post by Getwisteerd »

"Please Stickman stop yelling" Getwisteerd said "You're totally right about us going in circles, and there certainly are some here who don't listen, as your post proves. We've discussed your 'evidence' of The Golden Arrow's guilt, and if I rememever correctly we came to the conclusion that there was no evidence. And please remember we all risked our lives for those artifacts, not just you." she paused for a moment " If you know, or suspect anything, you really should tell us. If we're going to remain silent just because we're all afraid nothing will happen, and we will get killed one by one by the Slaaneshi. Please remember you're still alive, despite accusing The Golden Arrow. And yes, it could be Moridin didn't vote randomly, but I see no reason to assume he didn't. Despite my dislike for random votes.

Now my little rant is over, let's get back to business. White, may khaine watch over his soul, has been killed by the Slaaneshi but for what reason? He didn't do very much for the council. this puzzles me. Now we have no proof, and we will probably have to go to random, or at least semi-random voting again. We will have to take action quickly, but as long as some of us remain silent, we can't." Getwisteerd then sought a place to sit, preferably without to much dust.
The golden arrow
Cold One Knight

Post by The golden arrow »

"There is no reason to yell" The Golden Arrow said calmly. "Just give us any real evidence if you have any. Just accusing me because you said one of your men saw someone use magic in the murder will get us nowhere and you're just casting suspisons on your self. Do you really think all others will vote for you just because you yell at them? She turned to the others.

"Yesterday was indeed added and we have no more clues today than we had then (which is not many). We can't let the same thing happen today, we have to vote someone out or we will slowly slip into slaaneshi control. We wont get any more clues tomorrow. Who we should vote at is a bit harder as we indeed have very few clues. Do anyone have any real evidence?
Drakhan
Noble

Post by Drakhan »

Drakhan grunted sourly. "For Khaine's sake stop screaming. You sound like a bloody goblin getting steped on." Drakhan masaged his forehead slowly. He had barly gotten to sleep at all. His eyes felt like they were being stabed by a thousand tiny needles. And his head felt like there were midgets with hammers pounding at his skull.

Stickman you sound convinced. To conviced for it to be a rough guess bassed on the apparent involvment of magic. You should have worked out by now that if you are wrong you as good as put your name on the list for interogation. Well I think you might just know more then what your letting on. As a shade you could be sneaking around trying to find things that arouse your susspicions. Or have your man do it. Well Im willing to give you a shot. Vote: The Golden Arrow."
Drakhan who was once Shaadan who was once Drow sorcerer who was once Tangas who was once Drow Sorcerer.

Damn you SAU!
Telrunya
Shade

Post by Telrunya »

Telrunya wandered around the main obelisk, lost in thought and still excited about all the interesting secrets this pyramid had yet to share in days, maybe even hours, to come.

"I reluctantly have to agree that yesterday was more or less wasted. Yet I think it safe to assume not all, if any, of the saboteurs placed a vote, yesterday. It made me wonder whether we could learn something from this."

"The most likely way of thinking is that the Slaaneshi would only start placing a vote after a certain safety of numbers to hide behind has been reached. It is in this perspective that I commenced looking at what occurred before."

"As far as DarQ'Zar is concerned, his actions puzzle me most. If I recall correctly, there was a feeling, voiced by Spire, that empty words and hollow phrases would not get us anywhere. Although there has been some discussion about this subject, Moridin's vote did change the discussion to something more meaningful. To reformulate, --no pun intended-- he got the ball rolling."

"Yet, you, DarQ'Zar, were heavily opposed to this course of action. You stated that the two most suspicious persons were the only two who voted, namely Moridin and Sbod. After it was next to obvious Sbod would have been selected, you started voting Moridin."

"This would all have been understandable, safe for this. The next day, I expected you to continue this vendetta against Moridin, but you didn't. You did not say a word, you did not move a muscle, you let other officers bare their necks at the council, but you did not take part in any meaningful discussions yourself. The only thing you did do was vote to postpone this raid to have more time for discussions, while it was already clear you were not going to partake in any."

"Perhaps you could clarify these seeming paradoxes."
Malevion
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Malevion »

Malevion got to his feet and faced the council. He sighed deeply before speaking

"It seems like yet again this council is going around in circles. We need direction. And I ladies and gentlemen shall give you that direction. At no small risk to myself I might add. As Darla wanted I shall share with you all what I have learned. I must tell you that I am a fraud as a corsair captain. I am in truth an Inquistor of Khaine sent by Hellebron herself to keep tabs on the goings on in this expedition. I am able to interrogate council members in secret and learn their identity. Yesterday I used my persuasive abilities on one Sleek Darla. She spilled the truth swiftly enough. She is a Slaaneshii traitor and she has accomplaces, though I had to end the interogation before she gave up their names as well.

I realise that by sharing this information i am putting myself at great risk. But Darla knows who I am and if I was to try to condemn her subtly she might be able to slip away, and I might meet with an unfortunate accident before I could do any good for the council. I am not afraid to die but it is better to die while achieving something. And besides perhaps there are those among you who could delay my demise by some other means"

Vote- Sleek DD
He is a pimp and pimps don't commit suicide.

Dead men don't strike first
Getwisteerd
Highborn

Post by Getwisteerd »

"Well, I guess it's as good a place to start as any. Or re-start." Getwisteerd said "but I'm curious, is there any way we can be sure you are speaking the truth? There is one way in which it doesn't matter, and that is that we will always catch a Slaaneshi. For if Sleek Darla turns out to be innocent, we'll know someone who isn't. This is also the reason I believe you, Malevion. There was no suspicion against you until now and it wouldn't be good for the Slaaneshi to sacrifice one of their own, because we can be fairly sure we are still with more than them."

vote- Sleek Darla
Sleekdd
Highborn

Post by Sleekdd »

Sleek Darla pulled one of her fine eyebrows up.

I am a Slaaneshi traitor, inquisitor? That is news to me for I do not recall you interrogating me. In fact, I know you were doing something else last night and poor Ligressa was the sorry recipient of your attentions.

Yes, Malevion, I had a few extra-curricular activities as well. Although I cannot claim to have a background in interrogating, what you did had nothing to do with that.

Don’t act so shocked, Malevion. You know I saw you, that’s why you’re launching this attack, are you not? I caught you harassing Ligressa and unless you could turn this council on me, you’d have to wait until the session ended before you could cover up your little mistake.

Now, why didn’t I reveal this to the council any sooner? Simple, I didn’t know whether you thought of Ligressa as an enemy that needed to be stopped or not. But I knew that you knew you were spotted by me. If you had good intentions, you would simply keep your peace and do what you do best. If you were a saboteur, however, you would attack me at the earliest opportunity in order to rid yourself of a potentially embarrassing encounter with Anleth’s techniques.

But since we are all sharing now, I think the council would be interested in knowing you use charms to hinder your subjects. I don’t how many you have or who you used it on although I imagine there are a few testimonies in line for the night before this one, right?

And why would I, as a Slaaneshi, try to push the council forward? I would be far better off to keep my tongue and hide in a dark corner like so many of you did. I knew that, by my – shall we call it -- high profile, I would attract a lot of attention but I feared it not for I had nothing to hide. You, on the other hand, have not such a nice record, haven’t you?

Somewhere, I am glad you did this, Malevion, for now my doubts have been removed and I am free to place my vote.”

Vote: Malevion
Great minds think alike.
Moridin_nae'blis
Beastmaster

Post by Moridin_nae'blis »

"I must say, I was convinced by Malevion, but not without some suspicion towards him, when he claimed you were Slaneshii Sleek, but with your current testimonies it seems I placed my trust in his words too quickly.

When he first mentioned this, I was skeptical at Malevion. Why would someone risk so much as to flat out say they had convicting evidence of someone like that? That was what I asked my self when Malevion brought all of this up. Now I think Sleek was right, and he was trying to cover up his mistakes.

While I know I was wrong to put my trust in Malevion so easily and I may be wrong to put my trust in Sleek, so I will hold my vote for now, but maybe once we have heard some testimony from Ligressa, the person Sleek claims was the victims of Malevion's interigation I will be more confident in placing a vote."
+++ Team Mulligans +++

I'm baaaaack!
Getwisteerd
Highborn

Post by Getwisteerd »

" I'll have to disagree Sleek darla, that by hiding in a dark corner you would have made yourself less suspicious. Because everyone is looking at those dark corners to produce Slaaneshi.

Of course it would be possible that Malevion is lying, but I think he realises that if sleek proves to be innocent after he claimed to know for sure she wasn't, he would be the next to go. I, at least would vote for Malevion if he is wrong about this, and causes the removal of yet another Khainist. By this reasoning I voted for sleek, although it can of course also be turned the other way around, by first voting for Malevion and when he turnes out to be innocent vote for Sleek.

It would indeed be interesting to hear what Ligressa has to say about this"
Stickman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Stickman »

"Hmmmm. Even though I was taking direction and I started to lead us in the right direction, you Malevion, seem to me to be pretty convincing. I have a hard time believing that you would make up your rank, and say things that Hellebron didn't. If anything is to get done, we must group together and eliminate one slaaneshi at a time. You can wait Golden Arrow, your time will come. I hope that you also reconsider your vote Drakhan, so we can have 4 votes against this traitor."

Change Vote from Golden Arrow to Sleek DD
Malevion
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Malevion »

"Mistress Darla, save your lies they will not aid you. Your tale is a complete fabrication and should Ligressa speak up in support of it we will know that she too is a traitor. If I were a Slaaneshii, taking the move i just took would be assured suicide. I suggest you quiet down and accept your fate with dignity. Interrogators more skilled than I will extract proof of your alliegiance soon enough and the truth of my words will be proven"
He is a pimp and pimps don't commit suicide.

Dead men don't strike first
Sleekdd
Highborn

Post by Sleekdd »

“If she speaks, she’s guilty too?”

Sleek Darla smiled amused.

“And none of you think this is the least bit odd? Are you in a hurry to put me down, officers? Or are you just itching to get someone down?

And Getwisteerd, for a woman who claims to be the reasoning kind, I must admit I’m a bit disappointed by you. If you are in doubt who is guilty and who isn’t, wouldn’t you at least try to figure things out with the least cost to this council? What has Malevion done for the council, except skulking around? Has he helped the discussions? Has he even voted on the correct reasons? Has he given any indication he meant well for us? In fact, I seem to recall him voting whenever the opportunity presented itself, paying no heed or reason.

Besides, why would I, as a Slaaneshi, attempt to help the council? Why would I try to get to the bottom of your reasoning, Getwisteerd if I was Slaaneshi? Wouldn’t it be easier just to vote you at first sight, like Malevion did?

No, I would sit there, collecting dust, act all tough and just watch those poor wretches trying to make ends meet by looking for clues who aren’t there. I had a high profile and I expected to be seen by those who mean well because of it, at some risk to myself.

Hiding in corners does not attract votes as long as there are people who act, for it is easier to find someone playing out of tune than it is to hear a lack of playing at all. Only, when the main actors are gone and the situation is desperate, will the council look there, and it will be too late by then.

Consider you votes carefully, officers, for I doubt you have a lot of room for error.”
Great minds think alike.
Drakhan
Noble

Post by Drakhan »

"Yes Stickman I will be reconsidering my vote. I think You, Malevion and possibly Gettwisterd are traitors. If you are though you have blunderd. Stickman your switching of vote so easily and your unquestioning belife makes me belive you are allied with Malevion. I belive Sleek. And if I am wrong... Well So be it."

Drakhan removed the ring from his finger slowly. It was hard. Everything he stood for was symbolised by that ring. He sighed and he stood. He walked to the center of the room and placed the simple band of metal there. Drakhan turned and returned to his seat.

"If Sleek is a Slaaneshii and I happen to survive all this. Then I will resign as an officer and go to the watchtowers. Untill I can fight no more. Vote: malevion."
Drakhan who was once Shaadan who was once Drow sorcerer who was once Tangas who was once Drow Sorcerer.

Damn you SAU!
Drakhan
Noble

Post by Drakhan »

"And Vore: Extended Deadline."

Damn you SAU!
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

At most twenty-two extra kilograms, so that would be another how many artifacts? Ashnari went over the categorized bulks and weights for the found artifacts and quickly picked a combination to be transported; they would fit readily on the packhorses to be sent back to the Ark. He still questioned the art of using packhorses in the middle of an equatorial jungle, but then again, he hadn't been the man in charge of logistics before his, ah, sudden promotion. The last man was as poor at planning as at dodging, apparently. No big loss, he sighed.

“Hey, hey!” he suddenly snapped when he noticed the soldiers dropping the heavy artifacts into the bags, wiping the sweat off their brows. “Do not roughhandle the antique and ancient magical artifacts! They're worth more than your family crest, for crying out loud!” He rolled his eyes and rolled up his map with a few quick, habitual flicks of his wrist. Feeling a sudden desire overtake him, he plucked a frog leg from his backpack and chewed on it. Philistines.

Seeing how he oversaw transportation of everything going out of the pyramid, one would understand his baffled look when he saw a variety of heavy objects being carried in the direct opposite direction: inward. He tore another bit off his delicacy and followed the metal case, undoubtedly filled with weapons of some kind, to its destination, which turned out to be a far but fairly open corner in the grand chamber they set up as their outpost towards their home away from home.

The soldiers ignored his burning gaze, simpy dropping the case off with Anleth, who nodded briefly with a grateful smile to their dismissal. She opened the case, taking a lengthy gaze inside. Ashnari wasn't sure what she was looking at, or even what her sentiments on it were, but when he looked at the other equipment that had been gathered, he found their intention very clear: extracting information people would be reluctant to divulge.

“Setting up a private shop, captain?” Ashnari mumbled through his chewing.

Anleth looked up and frowned when seeing Ashnari. “Aren't you supposed to be with the others?”

“Nah, Tarbo got me off the hook.” He took another bite and peeked into the chest. “I bet those are an acquired taste?”

°°°

The lord laughed briefly, petting the Cold One next to him while shaking his head at Haksor. “Just be glad you made it out in one piece, son. Spike here doesn't take well to people just trying to 'mount' him, like you said.”

“soz”

“Don't worry about it. He gets a little cranky when hasn't gotten his chicken legs. Really loves those.” The noble reached down his girdle pouch, then frowned and took a better look before sighing. “Blast these expeditions. I'm out of chicken.” When the large creature next to him nudged his nose against him with an inquisitive look, his owner simply petted him again. “Sorry, old friend, I'm fresh out.”

But then the lizard sniffed briefly, picking up another scent. It aimed itself up, cramming as much air in its nose as possible.

Chicken?

°°°

Was that a chain whip? Ashnari's eyebrow raised deftly while staring at some of the tools in the metal case; there sure was some specialist equipment stacked in there. Now there was a side he hadn't seen with the captain before. He couldn't help but feel at least remotely relieved that Tarbo had indeed cut him out of the meeting for this logistical nightmare. But he questioned the effectiveness of this approach, recalling what kind of opposition they were up against.

“What makes you think you're not actually doing cultists a favour with this? I mean, they've got some strange tastes.” He took another frog leg from his backpack but refrained from biting while he noticed another peculiar tool in the case. Were those vice grips? Yikes.

When he felt his delicacy being pulled from his hand, Ashnari merely grunted. “Sure,” he said with a hint of sarcasm, “help yourself, captain.” He shook his head and put his hands on his knees. Most of these things, he had never seen before in his life.

But then, his backpack shook and bristled roughly, causing him to almost topple into the weaponry displayed in front of him. “Hey, if you're going rough on me, at least buy me dinner first.”

“What are you talking about?” Anleth said with a hint of confusion and surprise in her voice, tying her hair together while walking towards him from his right. She stopped before reaching him, hands still behind her head, seemingly frozen to the spot. When Ashnari aimed hismelf up again, Anleth stopped him with a cut of her voice: “--Don't... move.” She looked pretty serious about it.

“What?” Ashnari picked up on the intonation and stood perfectly still while he heard a slight growl behind him. The nudging against his back increased, and he heard the lid being flipped off his backpack. There was a sudden realisation, a slowed pick in time, where his eyes opened widely, a choice out of a plethora of phrases possibly riddling his mind. Things like “help,” “to aid,” or possibly even “mommy.” But no, Ashnari had his priorities straightened out well.

“My frog legs!” he turned sharply when he heared the bag of frog legs being pulled out of his backpack, and grabbed it with both hands before the Cold One had the opportunity to open it. It growled at him, pulling with its jaws from one side while Ashnari yanked angrily on the other. “Let go, you overgrown turtle! Pea-brain! Those are my frog legs! I read every day what quantities you freaks chow down, there'll be nothing left for me!”

“Ashnari,” Anleth said quietly but insistingly, so as not to disturb the creature, her eyes wide open while cautiously reaching a hand for him. “Let go of the bag.”

“It's my bag, I got it first!” He held the bag with one hand, leaning away with his full weight, and beat the lizard's nose incessantly with his free fist. “Off! Shoo! Sit! Play dead! You're going to tear it, you inbred! Simpleton!”

“Don't... piss off... the dinosaur.”

Ashnari suddenly noticed he had the top side of the bag; halting the very unhealthy activity that was beating the clawed creature on the nose, he reached his free hand down the bag and took out one of the frog legs, waving it in front of the Cold One's eyes with a whistle. “Hey hey, look at this! See? Ye-e-es, frog leg. Yum! You want it?”

The creature let go of the bag, following the delicacy closely with its head. When Ashnari was positive he had its attention, he pulled the bag filled with frog legs back to him, then threw the frog leg over the contender's shoulder, far, far away. Instantly, it dashed into action, almost knocking Ashnari over with its long, heavy tail.

Ashnari shook his head with a smug grin, tied the bag in front of him, attached to his girdle, then turned to Anleth. “These things are so stupid, I wonder what our cavalry sees in them.”

“Do you hate yourself?” came the surprised answer.

“Say what you want,” Ashnari chuckled. “All I lost is one frog leg, but I got to keep the twenty still left in the bag. You don't need to be a beastmaster to herd these walking meat guzzlers. Just play what they have for a brain.” He patted his girdle proudly, flipping one of the frog legs from it and holding it out to her. “See this? Mine.”

Anleth blinked briefly, then looked behind and increasingly above him with a surprised look. “Look out!”

°°°

“I'm sure people will find the courtesy to listen to you regardless of the strength of your voice, Sticky,” Tarbo said while sparing a moment to jot down the votes set. “Still, I'd like to remind you that you missed out on voting for Golden Arrow.”

Emotions are starting to flare up as people point to themselves and others in an attempt to clear their name. Who would be right? The testimony of others is required here, and while some are reserving their judgment until they have heard it, others take more belief in one story or the other, and act accordingly.

Perhaps this moment will not be wasted after all, but the question remains who will be better served by it: expedition or saboteurs? Regardless of which side you take in the discussion, if you pick one at all, your thoughts wander off, considering the practical implications of both the claims made as the result of today's deliberation.

A sandy draft passes by your feet, adding a slightly golden hue to the colour of your wardrobe. You haven't had the luxury to wash or bathe, let alone change your clothes, and the majority of you are still covered in sand and dust, perhaps with a few rough swathes missing from dusting strokes of your hands in attempt to look presentable. Somehow, you had envisioned less of a pyramid crawl and more of a fight, however unfair. But perhaps there is more to life than incessant combat.

And what on earth is going on over there?

°°°

“Bad lizard! Bad!” Anleth spared no effort in trying to stop the creature, but with its massive weight, it just knocked her out of the way thoughtlessly. She barely avoided getting hurt in the process.

When the Cold One had jumped on top of Ashnari, the sudden bash knocked the frog legs from his bag and scattered them over the dusty floor. The hungry carnivore now happily chomped down every piece it could get its jaws on, while Ashnari, with complete disregard for his own safety, reached out desperately to keep at least a few specimen of his favourite food. He succeeded marginally, and would've gotten away with it, but he got greedy.

Clambering to his feet to dash over to a batch, Ashnari found out firsthand what happens when you get between a Cold One and his favourite dish. A careless paw thrust him flat out to the floor, taking a few steps on him while the heavyweight lizard trampled him witlessly on its way to more frog legs.

With the logistician now firmly graven into the sandy floor, his loot laid spread out mere inches in front of him. A twitching, trembling hand reached out for them. When his eyes rolled up briefly, Ashnari saw the ravenous carnivore trying to beat him to it. It launched itself onto the poor man, standing on him so it could pick off the frog legs one by one, leaving Ashnari only to stare maddeningly at the torturous play unfolding before him.

“No! Bad lizard! Move! Off! Roll over!” Anleth put her full weight against the Cold One's body in an attempt to shove it off Ashnari, but the creature had every intention on eating the frog legs, and brutally ignored most of her attempts; when she bashed into it with full force, it merely rebalanced a bit, denting the logistician below with its taloned feet.

A loud whistle. Instantly, the Cold One aimed itself up and ran happily for its master. The only reason it could've moved so quickly, Anleth surmised, was if the whistle somehow said: “More chicken here.” Still, she fell to the dusty floor with a short gasp of surprise as soon as the creature took off. When she looked about, she noticed she was lying on Ashnari, but he didn't quite... stick out of the floor as much as he did before. In fact, he was a lot flatter than would be considered healthy.

“Medic!”
  3. SleekDD
  4. XtremeNL
  5. The Liger
  6. Stickman
  7. getwisteerd
  8. Malevion
  9. DarQ`Zar
  10. Drakhan
  11. The Golden Arrow
    Sleek Darla (SleekDD)
  1. Malevion
  2. getwisteerd
  3. Stickman
    Malevion
  1. Sleek Darla (SleekDD)
  2. Drakhan
    Extend Deadline
  1. Drakhan
With 11 players, 6 constitute a majority.

As mentioned in the OOC thread, Ashnari Doomsong was too busy to continue the game and has opted out.

Also, please be mindful to vote in 'ye proper format'. I'll expand on it in the OOC thread.
Xtremenl
Black Guard

Post by Xtremenl »

"well well, it seems we have a breaktrhough at last, right now either Malevion or Sleek is guilty, and those who vote on neither of them also make themselves suspicious.
I myself believe Malevion's word, because sticking out his neck like this would be very rash if he is wrong, for it would mean his death.
Because of this I will Vote:SleekDD and encourage everyone to do so to."
Xtremenl
Black Guard

Post by Xtremenl »

"And to make sure everyone votes today, I also Vote: Exrtended deadline."