OOC: Group 22 now consists of 7 characters:

Raneth - Vryala Naïlo (female warrior)
Layne - Karonath (female khainite)
Dauricha - Phalx Tr'dasr (male shade)
Khel - Saldrimek Xenan (male khainite)
Drainial - Elysian (male mage)
Kefka - Fiat Obsidian (male warrior)

Previous characters:

Silar, Hand of Khaine - Thesbe (female shade) - Killed for regular bad quality posting
Akimoto - Yori Temel (male warrior) - Killed after prolonged absence from the game.
Sidorio - Vash'nir (male shade) - Killed after prolonged absence from the game.

Update on Limitations and Prices

Limitations
You can only wear up to 1 suit of armour, and Shades & Mages can not wear heavy armour.
You can only wear up to 1 cloak and 1 helmet and carry up to 1 shield at any time, although you can have as much equipment as you want 'in storage' at Blackthorns house.
You can only carry up to 4 weapons, not including sidearms (daggers, throwing weapons. etc).
Some extremely large weapons will count as 2. This includes halberds.
You can only carry up to 2 sidearms, where a set of up to 5 throwing weapons only counts as 1.
Heavy armour WILL slow you down slightly, both in and out of combat.

Prices
A normal job for Varin will earn you anything from 100 to 400g each. Small jobs may earn you less than this, or may simply be carried out as favours to Blackthorn so your characters can stay in his good books. Larger tasks are more likely to earn you more money, but ultimately the amount you earn is down to Varin (aka, Me).

Daggers and smaller weapons can be anything from 50g-100g
Swords and similar weapons can be anything from 100g-400g
Larger weapons will ultimately cost 500-1000g
Light armour will cost around 200g-300g
Heavy armour can cost from 400g onwards.
Full armour packages can cost upwards of 1000g.
Sea Dragon Cloaks will be around 200g, light cloaks around 50-100g.
Magical Items will cost a lot, as always, and are extremely rare.
Medicines will cost anything from 1g right up to 50g. Generally cheaper ones will not work as well or even not work at all.
For anything else, prices are what they are. I will decide when it comes to it.
(this all depends on type, quality and location purchased)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

First, the generic RPG rules: (these are simply copied from the group I play in as I will use the same system).

1) Your character status will very much depend on your posting. I will injure or even kill off characters that aren’t pulling their weight in terms of posts so try and stay to the deadlines I set and try and write at least a paragraph each time you post.

2) Your characters are not immortal. Nor are they even heroic for that matter. In gaming terms you are about on par with a 7-point DE warrior at the start. You characters will level up and get stronger as the game goes on, but until then you should be reasonable in the way you play. Chances are that if you decide to go up with a Chosen Knight Of Khorne by yourself your going to get turned into confetti.

3) As far as actions go, I will use two systems. For regular actions that do not involve your characters health (eg. Bluffing a guard, etc.) I will determine the success of your actions primarily on the quality of your posts. For actions that involve your characters health I will look at your characters stats, equipment, and skills and then roll a die. For example: A character decides to jump out a window of a two story building to escape a guard, and grab on to a nearby tree limb to stop his fall. He is a warrior with 3 dexterity, light armor, a shield, and a longsword. Because of his average dexterity he would normally succeed on a roll of 4+, but his armor and weapons weigh him down so he will only succeed on a roll of a 5+.

4) Now for fighting. Fighting will follow a similar system to that of actions. I will look at your characters stats, skills, and equipment, compare them to their enemy's, and modify the die accordingly. If two opponents are equal in strength, you succeed on a 4+, but better equipment and armor increases your odds. Also realize that fighting alone is much more dangerous, and that fighting with friends will give you a MUCH higher chance of succeeding. Most importantly, your success in fights will depend on how well you write and describe your actions in the fight. If I feel you’ve done a very good job in describing your attack, I will modify the dice in your favor. Thus, even if you are outclassed and outnumbered, a good post can keep your character alive.

Also two more suggestions:
1) Keep a character profile like mine in your profile, with at least your characters name, stats, equipment, and inventory. You may include more (such as age, class, gender, etc.), but at least what I have specified. It not only helps you keep track of your character, but also lets you see what your fellow players are capable of and what they are carrying.

2) Follow a standard Speech , Thought , Action format for posting. You may choose to do this however you like (the example is what I like to use), but this helps everyone follow your posts more easily.

That’s the majority of what you need to know for the time being. If we come across something you don't understand feel free to ask using OOC (Out of Context) to show that you are speaking to the group or myself, and then resume the story with IC (In Context).

And now time for the Role-play to begin.

CHAPTER ONE - BLACKTHORN

IC:

”City of hope?” you mumble to yourself as you walk down the dark cobble streets of Vikarh, continuing inside your head, “This place has about as much hope as a slave in the torture grounds.” You plod on down the street, keeping one hand on your valuable purse and the other close to the hilt of your weapon at all times. Every alleyway you pass gets a wary check for danger, your vigil up despite your lonesome state. Life in Vikarh was turning out to be as bad as you had expected, and the false glimmer of hope you had been promised now seemed like a false and fading dream. Every tavern you had entered was teeming with mercenaries and sell-swords like yourself, each and every one of them after the same line of work as yourself. On the rare occasion that someone would offer work, you had never been close to the front of the line.

The weeks without work had worn you down, and now your lack of strength and rough appearance were denying you work at naught but a glance. You feel yourself losing the will to carry on, though the way you instinctively check each alleyway for any sign of danger reassures you that you retain the will to live. As you round the next corner in the street you pass under a tall dark archway. Realising you are stepping into the noble quarter, and knowing the better of such an action, you turn around to retrace your steps back to the tavern you just left. I need another drink… A sudden shout of alarm from behind you brings you back around in an instant, and you find yourself peering into the darkness of the nobles quarter, trying to locate the sound of the disturbance. Then you hear it again, a muffled yet obvious cry for help. Weighing up your options, and letting slip a little ”What have I got to lose?” you head off into the noble quarter in search of the source.

Less than a minute later, you find yourself at a dark crossroads where two main streets cross paths. All around loom the ominous forms of dark, noble Druchii houses. In the centre of the crossroad are two struggling elves, one clearly trying to overpower the other who was trying to call for aid. As they struggled a hand was smothering the victims mouth, hence the muffled cry he had heard. You begin to rush forward, then slow down as you realise you are not the only one investigating the scene. Three other Druchii looking just as run down and ready to drop, not to mention half-drunk, as yourself are moving forward. A silent message seems to pass between you as you take note that the victim is indeed of noble blood, and the attacker is naught but a mercenary, ‘This could see us a fine reward…’

OOC: Thats your cue to start posting! Please make the first post a detailed one, going into more detail of your actions leading up to this point and your thoughts at the time. You need to consider how the four of you will interact, being complete strangers, in the face of the task at hand. In case your not sure what to do, you can all tell that helping save the noble will likely lead to a reward. If killing the mercenary is the best way to get about this, then so be it. Be careful how you use speech at the moment, for you do not know eachothers names or anything about them. I am sure the time for introductions is just around the corner. Let us begin. Good luck to you all.
Last edited by Kinslayer on Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 31 times in total.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

OOC : 6 point DE Warrior! or do we all get free shields? [nudge] Four elves converge on the spot who have all met before... haven't we? or shall we forget the past? It would be slightly easier that way, as we never found out how our last adventure ended - LOT1LOE if you're out there speak! And so it would be difficult to pick up a broken thread. Then again, we also have some mutual understandings we could carry over.

What say you, Legion?
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

OOC: Hi guys

Looks like these faces might not be so unfamiliar to each other indeed. If that poses a problem, can we all agree on Suffrat having given us the Men-in-Black treatment?

(memory- and skill-wise?)

Awaiting instructions. :)
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

OOC: Looks like I'm joining up with the ladies again, glad to work with you again, or for the first time...whichever. I'll post as soon as we know about our "past", this is just an "I'm here and want to play" role-call post.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Silar, hand of khaine
Dark Rider

Post by Silar, hand of khaine »

ooc: Yeah ready to post as soon as we've got this figured out.
Khaine's will be done
Thesbe (formerly of group 13, now in group 22, started again
ws:4
I:5
S:3
T:3
D:4
equipment: shade robes, short sword, repeater crossbow,
inventory: 200g, dagger, troll head
skills: basic stealth
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

OOC: I had the story written up expecting 4 new players or players who had not already roleplayed, so starting from scratch is the best way to get around the situation. Let us assume you have not met and are using the starting stats etc, for sake of convenience. Happy roleplaying.
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

Fiat strolled the streets, with no particular direction in mind. His clothes smelled of mud and his breath of cheap liquor. Not caring, however, of what other viewed of him, Fiat carried on his way down the streets. The alcohol sloshed violently in his near stomach, for he had nothing to fill his belly other than the spirits he had lifted from a passed out Druchii.
The cold night air, however, was sobering him up. When Fiat had gained enough composure to realize where he was, the Noble District, he turned to head back to whatever hole he could call home.

A distant shriek stopped him in his tracks. Normally Fiat would not bother with the affairs of others, but something in the back of his mind pulled at a memory he could not find. The "brand" on his leg cemented him from going any further away from the plea for help, and the scar on his head burned and itched.
Almost against his will, Fiat turned and headed towards the cry. He was about to give up when there was another, muffled tone from down the large, dark street. Picking up his pace, and preparing his sword, Fiat moved swiftly and silently down the stoned pathway, his metallic-blue armour glinting in the moonlight whenever his clothing over top shifted out of place. His pace quickened until he came upon two Highborn fighting amongst themselves, one, dark and fierce, clearly in advantage over the other, light and "proper".

Fiat was prepared to step forward and help when he noticed a few other figures out of the corner of his eye. At first he thought them aids, bodyguards or other hired help to one of the fighters. But quickly he noticed that the others were just as confused, and drunk, about the situation as he was. They noticed each other, and him as well, and without a word Fiat knew they were in agreement, the rich looking victim needed help, and Fiat thought well of a reward that may settle his stomach.
Without much thought, Fiat knew the attacker had to be distracted from his prey, or so his drunken mind thought.
My my, what a cold evening. So cold that it seems murder shall be committed in it. Cold blooded murder, get it!? Fiat let out a weak laugh at the weaker joke, and drew his sword in a threatening manner.

Fiat will try to draw attention away from the victim and others who have shown up, trying to allow the others a chance to strike at the attacker, or fight him himself if he has to.

Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

They had sent her out with some money. They had explained what to do with it. They had explained what to look for when she got there. She wandered the streets, looking for posters, listening for hints, hoping to find a job. She knew the sound of a thing about to happen, the look as well, the sidelong glances, the whispering, the eyes lighting up, and people drawing away into a corner. The way gangsters behaved when something was cooking. Her instinct had always been to get away and hide, and to watch from a safe distance. But the Hags had siad that now she must go to such things, she must delve in the secrets she had shunned all her twisted life. She must find the most deadly and dangerous jobs. She must seek blood and life.

She did not clearly understand what it was all about. She was not practised in the understanding of other people's minds. She could read a body, and see what someone was about to do, but she could never guess why. So she went to the taverns, the hostels, the docks, places like that, such as she had preferred to avoid in Naggaroth. They were dangerous places. There was sustenance to be found there, but her way had always been to take what she needed, and get away unseen, and ask no questions. Now she was to ask, they said, she was to seek.

She wandered the streets of the city, knowing who to ask - she could see who was a criminal and who was merely trying to get through unmolested - but she could never face the evil ones. So she had wandered without employment, without hope, spending what she had been given, and hoping to stay alive.

She wnadered without aim into the noble district one evening. There was no hope of employment there, she knew, the Hags had said that all the work was in the rough areas, but she had not been able to find anyone there. Yet the noble area was always more beautiful, as in Naggaroth - not so much so, but then...the rough area was rougher, and the contrast about the same.

She wandered there this evening, hoping to stroll amongst the gardens and palaces, and perhaps to make free with some better food than what her remaining money would find in the poor quarters. As she stepped under the great arch, she came upon a scene of a sort. There was an elf, obviously a noble, under attack from another who was clearly a hood. Little love she had for nobles, though she had a sort of admiration for them, so far above her, but for the gangsters of the world she had nothing but hatred.

In a trise she made up her mind. There were three other wanderers at the intersection. They seemed intent on doing something also. Well, there it was. Someone needed help against a hated enemy, and she would have help with the task. Karonath drew her two knives, tapping the ends together over her head. Ever since she had been given the weapons, she had loved the sound of them clashing. It sounded like power, and to one who had always been powerless it was enchanting.

A tall elf spoke to the gangster. It seemed he was challenging the gangster. She moved to stand on the other side of the hood from the speaker. She tirled her knives so he would know she was there, and what she meant to do. She winked at him also.

Karonath positions herself on the opposite side of the attacker from Fiat, and moves forward with weapons at the ready. She will attack if he attacks either Fiat or herself.
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Silar, hand of khaine
Dark Rider

ooc: speech thoughts actions

Thesbe turned her hood up as she walked down the winding streets of the city, the buildings funneling the rain rather than blocking it.

Little did she know that accidently she had strayed into the noble quarter. She only noticed when a shout echoed around the alleys and streets. At first she thought it was one of the guards and was getting ready to run when she realized it was a cry for help.

Ahh, whats to lose, rounding a corner she came across a, seemingly rich elf being attacked by a mercenary. Noticing a few other, equally desperate elves watching the attack, one of them had began to approach.

Due to the amount of alcohol she had just drunk, she didn't trust herself to shoot the mercenary from this distance, she would probably hit the noble as well.

Thesbe will slowly move out of the alley she is in and into the shadow of a nearby building, giving her a complete view of the scene, and drawing her sword, if another one of the elves attacks her will try to assist them, by attacking with her sword
Khaine's will be done
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

OOC: sorry guys. I had something typed out earlier but errored out.

IC:

Sulking, Vryala trudged through the incessant rain. Vikarh had proven itself a difficult place to make a living for the young noblewoman, and its streets offered her little in the way of consolation. Or shelter, for that matter.

Vryala pulled her ragged cloak tighter around her in a vain effort to keep warm. Cheap *** wine sure didn't help any. She looked around, and realized she'd wandered into the noble district. Memories came flooding. The luxurious life Vryala had led before fleeing her father's estate seemed like an eternity ago, and a lump was beginning to form in her throat. Just as she turned a voice rang out... for help.

She dismissed the voice as a wine-induced figment, but decided to investigate when it started to annoy her. Quickly after, Vryala too reached the crossroads, to witness what appeared to be a noble being assaulted by some random thug. Other Druchii had joined the scene, seemingly intending to help out the noble. These guys look.... strangely familiar. Damn this wine, I'm going to sue that innkeep! Vryala decided she might as well get involved. Loading her crossbow, she called out to the assaulter:
Game over, handsome. Now step back nice and easy...

Vryala will keep aiming at the thug as steadily as the alcohol allows for

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

The four of you move towards the noble and his attacker with the shared hope of reward, each and every one of you readying weapons to take on the mercenary. Fiat called out to the attacker, who instantly looked up with a suprised expression. Noticing Fiat, he let go of the noble, who fell to the ground at his feet, and drew a short sword. Karonath clashed her daggers together above her head, a sound she had come to adore and her enemies had come to fear, and closed in from behind. The attackers head snapped back around at the noise and he noticed he was surrounded. Thesbe was waiting nearby in the shadows with her sword drawn and Vryala was trying to steady a crossbow which was aimed his way.

The attacker paused for a moment, as if unsure how to proceed with the sudden turn of events, then ran. He took off in an instant, and he was quick. He made a break for the gap between Fiat and Vryala but in his haste he came too close to the female warrior who shot out a leg to trip him. Fiat ran over and kicked the attackers sword away as Vryale reached down to the mercenary and grabbed him by the collar. She dragged the attacker, who was only semi-concious after hitting his head, back to the noble where the four mercenaries grouped together for the first time.

Karonath reached down and offered a hand to the noble who gladly accepted it and was hauled to his feet. He began to dust himself off as Vryala handed the mercenary over to Thesbe. The shade pinned the mercenaries arms behind his back as he knelt before her, and Vryala kept her crossbow aimed at his chest in case he tried to struggle. The noble took in the new faces with a wary smile and then spoke.

"I am Varin Blackthorn, son and heir of the great Tarius Blackthorn. This is my fathers estate" he indicated to the buildings opposite, then his tone turned more like that of the snobby nobles you knew "You have my thanks and those of my household. I shall be on my way..."
"Not so fast" shot Thesbe, "We saved you, you owe us your life."
"Some sort of a reward is in order" Karonath said bluntly.
"We could always release this man and be on our way, if that would be what you prefer" hinted Vryala, pointing to the attacker with her crossbow.
"Very well, I suppose you are right. Would I be right to assume you are mercenaries? sellswords? hired thugs? The term you use is not important at any rate, but I think I may have a tempting offer for you. I am looking for some warriors who can perform certain... tasks for me. There will be payment, of course, and provisions and accomodation provided too. What say you?"

The four mercenaries look around at eachother, clearly understanding that each is as desperate for work and gold as the next. All of you nod in agreement to Varins' offer, accepting his reward of work, gold, food and a bed. Of course, each of you wants to know more about the offer, and it seems Varin can read your minds.
"I understand you will want to know more about me and the work i offer before we can progress. Why dont you follow me back to my house where we can discuss the issue and make some more formal introductions. Oh, and as for the man who attacked me... kill him."

Vryala's crossbow thumped and a black-fletched bolt burst through the attackers ribcage, puncturing his heart with trained perfection. The man slumped to the floor in a growing pool of his own blood and Varin nodded approvingly. The noble took a few steps from the mercenaries and then turned to them once more.
"I will take you to my house, though my guards will relieve you of your weapons upon entering. Think nothing of it, the act is strictly routine. Once you have signed yourselves to work in my service you shall be allowed before me armed and ready, though until that time I shall take no chances. Come, you can tell me your names on the way."

Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

As Karonath passed the body of the stricken hood, she gave it a stab with her sword for the joy of it. She had never had the means to kill gangsters before coming to the Temple, but she had always hated them. With her two swords, she no longer feared them very much. A dead hood she feared not at all.

I come from Naggaroth. The Hags call me Karonath. You can call me that too.

With no more to say, her natural unease took over. She knew that nobles were higher somehow. How she could not guess; yet it was evidently so, as they seemed to think bothering with the likes of her somewhat beneath their concern. Hoods would bother with anyone, anytime. She feared nobles too, but she didn't hate them. She could not love them : she had been alone and desperate on the streets of the Witch King's city for too long. She faded to the rear of the group without waiting for a reply.

She wiped her bloody sword on her cloak. Blades are beautiful when they're bloody, but more beautiful when they're clean, she thought, ignoring the others. But still, beautiful when they're bloody...
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

The burning and pain brought by his "marks" had disappeared during the fight, and Fiat had almost forgotten that hey had even started. He was almost disappointed that he did not shed any miscreants blood on his sword that evening, but felt that he may get many a chance in the future.

Turning to the noble who they had just helped, Fiat bowed and let his former noble status show through. I am Fiat Obs- Fiat paused before he revealed his house name. He new once that he was of noble blood, but of who he did not remember. If this noble was acquainted with his former family, Fiat would be unsure of how events would unfold. Although he wished to find his past, he would rather get to know the noble and his position better before digging for information.
*hic* Sorry, a few to many spirits for this spirit. You may just call me Fiat, which I am sure you all know means "Let there be..." He paused again for a moment. But don't let the dramatics of my name fool you, for nothing follows it. So: "Let there be nothing"

Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

The prospect of extended employment sobered up Vryala quite a bit, and she fully relished the look of increasing horror on the face of the brigand they'd just caught... up until the ultimate satisfaction of the kill.

As she put away her crossbow, Vryala took in the rest of the group. The small one approached the corpse and stabbed it a bit, before she introduced herself. Khainite alright. Maybe I should leave future executions to her. Then, the large warrior spoke again, obviously uncomfortable in social situations. 'Obs?'... I wonder what he's hiding. The only one besides herself not having introduced herself seemed quite reluctant to speak, but her obvious preference for the shadows gave Vryala the impression of a Shade, ...which would make for a pretty balanced team, she thought with a smile.

As the group followed Blackthorn, Vryala contemplated the irony of her predicament. Not too long ago, she'd try and avoid 'filthy sellswords' such as her current self as much as possible. Technically, I don't even own a sword. But I'm filthy alright...

Thank you for your kindness, Sir Blackthorn. My name is Vryala. Your assumptions about me were correct: for the right price, your enemies are mine.

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

"Then i thank you for your aid Karonath, Fiat and Vryala, your services are greatly desired and as for the right price I am sure you will find me an honest employer. Do the tasks I ask of you to the expected standard of quality and you shall be greatly rewarded. Fail me, however, and I shall teach you why not to cross paths with the Blackthorn family. Still, I do hope it shall not come to that, you lot seem... acceptable.

And you there, lurking in the darkness and speaking not a word. Are you a mute or are you just reluctant to speak? I have met your sort before, with your dark personality and glowing runes. You're a shade, indeed a good employee to have. Tell me shade, what is your title?

This has indeed been a great turn in events for me, especially since I am still breathing."

OOC - our power is going out for 1-2 days in the morning while they do some servicing or something, so I thought I would squeeze in this little mod post to keep things going. Back soon.
Silar, hand of khaine
Dark Rider

The fight was over quickly, with Thesbe not having to do do much other than look threatening, soon she found herself holding the dead sell swords corpse. As she forced him to the floor she kept the hilt of her blade in his back, forcing him downwards.

As the noble began to talk again she stept out of the shadows

Do not worry noblekin I still have a voice and my title, Thesbe of the Darkaine shade clan, or formerly as the case may be, and yes I accept your offer

She first stopped to check overthe dead elf's body to try and find anything valuable, before catching up

Thesbe will loot the corpse of any useful and/or valuable items or money
Khaine's will be done
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

OOC - oops, wrong dates, its next tuesday that my power will go out. It will not be too bad, should be back on the next day and so you dont have to worry about the RPG coming to a standstill. Silar, Hand of Khaine, feel free to add a dagger to your inventory as you find one on the sellswords body. In your haste to search him and catch up with the others though, you find little else other than 2 gold coin.

IC-

From that point on you follow Varin in silence through a few dark and menacing looking streets. Judging by the amount of left turns you make, you feel you have gone around in a large circle to approach the houses by the crossroad from the opposite side. Varin did after all mention that this area was his family estate. A few minutes later you step up to a large and impressive mansion. The house is huge, even for a nobles' house, and is bordered by a massive wall of black stone. The wall is decorated in spikes, from some of which hang skeletons, both slave and Druchii alike.

In the center of the wall lies a large gate, flanked on each side by two tall Druchii guards. Each one is wearing the full decorative plate of a noble guard, covered with intricate spikes and curves. Each one is resting his hands on the hilt of a large sword which is propped in front of them. Both are wearing gold helmets with a silver mail face peice, and only their eyes can be seen, cold and unforgiving. (OOC - they look like the Executioner models).

As Varin approaches the men remain utterly motionless, knowing their place as the Elven noble walked between them. As soon as he had passed, the mens heads turn silently to eye up the four of you with cold disdain. The look they give you simply says 'good luck, you'll need it'. You pass through the gate behind Varin and enter a small courtyard before a second gate. This one is flanked on each side by three Druchii with repeater crossbows and the armour of a basic warrior-guard rather than that of the guard-elite outside. The first gate shuts behind you with a dull 'clunk' and Varin steps to one side as his guards come forward, crossbows raised.

"Hand over your weapons, all of them. No blades, crossbows, spears or other 'sharp objects' to come within the house in the hands of mere strangers. Especially a ragtag bunch like you..." spits the leader of the guards. He turns to Karonath with a dirty look, obviously you are not the first trainee of Khaine he has met, "And do not try and hide anything, for I have no problem killing you... or worse."

Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

She looked into the eyes of the noble. It was a silly question, here she stood in a thin cloak and a skimpy bikini made mostly of brass and steel, and this noble says don't try to hide. She removed her weapon belt, holding it out full length to show the two small scabbards hanging from it, and a small bag. Full of fear this noble is, and not so full of rational thought. She turned to the approaching gaurds, flashing them a saucy grin with a waggle of her hips. Careful, boys, I have a Manticore in my bikini bottoms...

She turned back to face the the noble Varin. She had seen nobles performing their ceremonies in the squares of Naggaroth. She was not finished mocking this fop just yet. She jiggled her shoulders and hips, grinning and batting her lashes, then went down on one knee and held up the belt. The fresh pride of the powerless empowered was in her.

I could kill all your gaurds and then you too, she said from her low vantage, but I won't cause I like you. You're cute.

Karonath waits on bent knee for the noble's reaction.

With a sudden burst of blinding speed which nobody, least of all Karonath, had expected, Varin shot forwards and slapped the belt away from the Trainees' hands. The weapon belt skidded along the floor to the feet of the guards, who had all turned their crossbows her way as soon as their lord had made his move. Varin looked down on Karonath with his hand still raised as if ready to hit her aside and his other hand on the hilt of one of his swords, frozen in the moment and deciding his next move.
After a long pause, a small smile played across Varins' lips and he chuckled to himself.
You may have seen me at the mercy of an attacker once already, but rest assured it is not an event which is likely to happen again. I was pinned down and had no way to draw a blade. Here, however, I have plenty of room to draw my sword."
He drew one of his blades slowly and purposefully, lowing the blade to rest under Karonaths' chin. One small twist of the blade and the life of the mercenary would be over. Karonath knelt there motionless, no fear showing behind her eyes as she met the nobles' powerful gaze unflinching. Again, there was a moment of pause, neither one moving a muscle. Then, with another chuckle, the noble sheathed his sword.
"I like your attitude... but do not presume to underestimate me or my guards again"

He offers Karonath his hand as his warriors continue collecting weapons.
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Vryala nodded at the guard leader, pulled her dagger out of her boot and unbuckled her crossbow and shield. Despite knowing this was the way mercenaries were commonly treated, she felt a bit uneasy about relinquishing them - her weapons were the only real possessions she had left.

She noticed some of the guards were 'admiring' her figure, but before she could make a snappy remark Karonath managed to cause a ruckus far exceeding anything Vryala herself had in mind. By Khaine, child, it's been mere moments since we've been here! She gritted her teeth in expectancy of swift retribution, but luckily Bloodthorn revealed himself to have a sense of humour.

Relieved, she handed her gear to one of the guards - startling him, because he was still looking slack-jawed at Karonath. Vryala smiled as only a noble could. There's a good boy. Mind getting that crossbow out of my face now?

The guard turned his attention from the scene playing out before him as Vryala handed her weapons over to him. He turned from the semi-naked Karonath and took Vryalas' weapons before taking her comments on the chin, not uttering a word in the presence of both Varin and the guard captain. He looked over the weapons and then checked Vryala over with his eyes, looking for any sign of a hidden object and pausing at her more interesting parts. Realising she had caught him looking, he quickly turned and walked back to his position with her weapons in hand.

Silar, hand of khaine
Dark Rider

Damn, a weapon search Thesbe didn't dread giving her weapons up but, having a large shade cloak did always make her the subject of suspicion when things like this did happen, complying she tossed her weapons onto the floor in front of the guards, though she did place her crossbow down more carefully, before showing the inside of the outer cloak, just to show she wasn't hiding anything.

Watching the scene playing out between the noble and the Khainite, one arrogant comment followed by another, resulted in a drawn blade, however the noble soon sheathed his sword, Interesting, if a lowly elf did that in the Darkaine, they'd be killed on the spot

As Thesbe threw down her weapons one of the other guards came forward, slinging his crossbow over his back and picking up her weapons. He examined them carefully, taking a long look at her crossbow before turning to her with a slight smile. This guard also remained silence in the presence of higher ranking nobles, clearly knowing his place, but was obviously impressed by the weapon. Perhaps he has an interest in crossbows or something, or perhaps he just likes me, thought Thesbe as he he took her weapons away.

Khaine's will be done
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

Fiat was far less reluctant than the others to relieve his weapon. He was admiring his surroundings and the caution of the nobles guards. Was his family this cautious? Or were they overthrown because they were not?
Fiat removed his belt with sword in scabbard and handed it, open palmed, to the head guardsmen.
Another guard went to frisk Fiat, but his hands only felt to cold metal of his armour that was under his cloak. Oh yes, that, do you wish me to, uh, "reveal" myself in the presence of everyone? or is my armour okay? His eyes shifted to the saucy Karonath I believe that I might be wearing a little less that this one underneath...

Having watched the others give up their weapons so easily, Fiat paused and considered the action carefully, before deciding the best course of action was simply to go along with the others. He handed his belt over to the guard captain, trying to keep his look neutral. The guards, especially those of higher ranking, were reknown for reading the eyes of visitors and telling the trustworthy from the rest. A second guard began to move forward and search Fiat, clearly not going to let anything slip past in front of his master. Feeling nothing but Fiats' armour underneath his cloak and taking his joke on the chin, he turned to the guards captain who simply chuckled and looked up at Varin for new orders.

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Looking around at Varin Blackthorns' feasting room you realise just how rich the noble family must be. Each wall is decorated with ornaments and banners of different artistic styles not uncommon in rich Druchii houses. Around the room are expensive suits of executioner armour and a large display of duelling weapons. Each one is crystal clean and looks as though it has never been used, though from Varins performance outside you guess he knows how to use them. Perhaps one of the reasons for the weapons being in the room where he entertained his guests was to prove his mettle.

You are seated at a large table made from old black oak and inlaid with intricate gold designs, twenty chairs to a side and a larger, better designed chair at the head. Varin sits there with his chin resting on his palms, as if he is waiting for nothing in particular. To either side of him is seated the captain of the guard from outside and another larger Druchii you do not recognise. A few seats down the four of you sit, one of Varins guards assigned to watch over each of you with crossbows in hands. These were not the same guards as outside, and even though those outside had been no rookies, these guards had an aura of dicipline and strength. You can tell they are not the sort of people to get on the wrong side of.

Blackthorn coughs, bringing you back from your thoughts, and lowers his hands. He looks over the four of you and smiles, before standing and beginning his formal introductions.
"Welcome, friends, to one of the houses of Blackthorn. I am Varin Blackthorn, as you have come to know by saving me, a debt which will not go unrewarded. This is Sevro, captain of my guard, and this is Morius, my cousin and business partner.
I have come to know the four of you as Fiat, Vryala, Thesbe and Karonath, am I right? And I understand that you have agreed to come before me so vulnerable in search of reward? Or, more to the point, work? I beleive I have an offer you will not refuse, though the details of this can wait a little longer. First, let us eat, for it is always an honour to bring new allies to my halls."

With a double clap of his hands, Varin summons to him a number of servants and slaves, both Elven and lesser, and sends them to bring food. They return with bottles of fine Ulthuan wine, rich bread and tender meat. You dine together for an hour or more, sharing stories with each other and Varin about past experiences and your current situations. Exaggerating the parts of your past which require it, and keeping your secrets just that, you begin to learn more about each other. Before you know it you are so engrosed in discussion and enjoying the luxury laid out before you that you are startled when Varin rises once more to his feet and puts out his arms for silence.

"My friends, I hope you have enjoyed this little taste of my hospitality. Now, let us get down to business. I must tell you how grateful I am for your help this afternoon, and without you I am sure I would not be standing here to speak but lying motionless and voiceless at the crossroads." He raises his glass of wine in thanks, "It is because of this that I want to offer you a job working for me and my family. I have a number of tasks that need carrying out, and I must admit I was going to hire proffesionals in your stead, though you have proven yourself to be a worthy group.

The work will include the usual mercenary tasks, locating people, questioning people and hurting people if I tell you to do so, along with any other orders I give. My house holds a great deal of pride and we expect our employees to show us the respect we deserve. If you sign the blood contract to work for me, you are as good as mine. If I say come here, you come here, If I say go there, you go there, if I say jump, you jump... You will, however, find yourselves with ample reward. Expect no less than 200 gold coin for your first task alone, and I will provide you with lodgings, food and equipment for free.

The decision is utterly your own. If you agree to sign my contract, welcome aboard. If you want to walk away then now is the one chance you will get. Nothing more would become of the matter, no assassins sent to silence you or any of that business, you would simply forget you ever came here and so would I. Only one matter remains..."

Varin reaches under the table and produces four identical rolls of parchment. He hands them to Sevro who gets up and places one in front of each of you before returning to his seat. As you unroll it you already know what it will be, and sure enough it is a blood contract, a document which will sign your life over to Blackthorn in return for work and reward. Inside each roll is a small ceremonial blade, in no way threatning as a weapon. You instantly understand the purpose of the blade, for a dotted line at the bottom of the parchment shows where your blood must drop. The four of you look at one another and wait to see who makes the first move.

Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

The foood that had been set out was too much. Fiat was a large fellow, and the offer of food was too much. He spent much of the time eating, sparing few words only when necessary. He did, however, stop whan Varin Bloodthorn spoke up and adressed them with the contracts.
Fiat didn't wait for any response from the others. He had been hungry, tired and lost, Varin had already helped him with those problems. He was also the first possible lead that had come up for his family history in years.
Without thought or word, Fiat took the small knife and cut a shallow wound on his thumb. The red ooze flowed out and Fiat signed his name in blood. I sign your contract, Varin Bloodthorn, and shall work for you. I hope that this "union" shall benefit all of us. He handed the paper to Varin and took his seat, waiting to see if the others would join him. It mattered not, though, as he had secured his spot and now a job.

Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Karonath ate hungrily. She was accustomed to long periods with little or no food, and so also to taking what she could get when she could get it. The going was right good, and she took full advantage, burping loudly when she was done. She had been talking eagerly with her new friends, the lonely creature, but her little function was not well recieved so she hung her head and remained silent, playing with her cutlery, until Blackthorn suddenly rejoined the talk.

She did not fully grasp the meaning if the Varin's knife until Fiat demonstrated. She had never willfully harmed herself, her own self being the only thing she had ever had, her one treasure through the dark years on the streets of Naggaroth. She wanted to serve this noble - his response to her jest had earned her respect. Any gangster would have murdered her right then, but the noble had shown grace, and it filled Karonath with wonder. This elf was secure enough in himself not to take what he did not need - when any gangster would take whatever could be got.

She wanted to serve him, yes, she wanted to kill for him, yes, and to kill some of her own natural enemies along the way if she could. She had done somewhat of this as she wandered unemployed. If she found a despicable street hood wandering alone and unobserved, sometimes she would follow and kill. She took joy in the power her weapons and her short time of training in the Temple had given her, revelling somewhat in the destruction and vengeance. Yet never had she spilled her own blood, and thought of it horrified her. She watched, stricken, as the others made their marks.
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

It had been long since Vryala enjoyed a good meal. She'd almost forgotten the taste of the fineries laid out before them, and was very glad to be reminded. My opinion of this Blackthorn just went up a bit, he certainly has taste.

He further proved his good intentions by offering the group blood contracts, an option Vryala hadn't even considered. Frankly, she was shocked. Up until this moment she had always thought of herself as both noble and mercenary - whichever seemed more convenient at the time. By signing such a contract Vryala would effectively give up her free will, her sense of individuality that came with being a noble.

It's time I stopped fooling myself. The last survivor of House Naïlo, and a mercenary I am. And for a mercenary, this is a golden opportunity.

Vryala silently grasped the blade, drew a line across the palm of her hand, and turned to her new employer. My blade is yours, Sir Blackthorn. She then signed the contract; 'Vryala, sellsword' and placed it in front of her for a servant to collect.