Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Group 22 - Out of Character discussion thread

Post by Kinslayer »

This is the place for all Group 22 "Out of Character" discussion :twisted:

Obviously little comments or questions that need be asked in the game thread can still be put there using the "OOC" prefix. This thread is for any bigger discussions that may arise, such as ideas for storylines or debates about making changes in the group.

I have two discussion questions to start with.

1 - How would current players feel if another new character was added to the group?

This is always a possibility, since there is always a large number of members on the site waiting to play in groups. I had always intended my group to stay between 4 and 6 players, and thus brought our 6th player in without really asking your opinions. I am now considering a 7th and final character, although I do have a little voice in my head telling me this could be too many. I appreciate your opinions as always.

2 - How would you feel about moving onto an EXP gain system?

This way you would have to keep track of yoyr current Experience Points in your signatures, and I would award them for everything that goes on in the game. It would mean editing signatures probably every time you read one of my replies, but would let you know how far you are getting towards levelling up and gaining new skills or stats. This was just an idea, not one I am particularly suggesting we use, but I would like to know your thoughts.

~ Kinslayer

(Edit by Calisson) For newcomers, there are other important threads:
Group 22 important information thread
Bringing Group 22 to the Tabletop
Sidorio
Assassin

Post by Sidorio »

Its about time we get one of these things Kinslayer.

Anyway, on the topic of a new character I don't think I'd mind too much my only question is how do you plan on introducing them to the storyline and to get them to fit in with the group.

While it would be nice to see the experience we're getting it might make us do the actions we know reward well more often than just play our characters as 'themselves'. Also I don't have the space in my Sig anymore and have had to remove stuffto fit it all in.
Vash’nir - WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: 2 asrai short swords, assassins dagger, silver dagger, modified repeater crossbow (20/20), hunting spear, Cloak of Dusk, full leather armour
Inventory: talisman of protection, talisman of night, smoke bombs x6, rope x2, healing balms x10, climbing axe x2, skinning knives, winter gear, Vikarh map, pouch of powder, 4 fire bombs
Mount: Dark Steed (Falken)
Gold: 2270
Skills: Stealth, Two Weapon Fighting, Basic Ride
Class: Shade
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Sidorio wrote:Its about time we get one of these things Kinslayer.

Anyway, on the topic of a new character I don't think I'd mind too much my only question is how do you plan on introducing them to the storyline and to get them to fit in with the group.

While it would be nice to see the experience we're getting it might make us do the actions we know reward well more often than just play our characters as 'themselves'. Also I don't have the space in my Sig anymore and have had to remove stuffto fit it all in.

Without giving much away, all I can say is that they would be written in much alike the way Yori was written in. The groups' current course would lead them to the new player, who would already be there for his own reasons. I have a plan of the rest of this Chapter written up and there's the perfect place to introduce a new character coming up relatively soon, and it will not mess up with the prophecy of 6 Druchii and 'mindwalker' finding the Serpents Eye either as they would arrive in the story slightly later when the prophecy is more complete. I hope that makes sense. If you remember, the ladies were taken by Tvar and put into her dungeon where Yori already resided, and you guys came into save them later and Yori joined the group then. A similar thing would happen.

If it helps sway your opinions, the player I am considering is Khel. I think he's up to Group 22 standards ;)

As for your comments on EXP gain, perhaps it is an idea best not used then, as I can see signatures are already full enough for most of our players. I would certainly like to see your characters continuing to play as 'themselves' rather than aim towards EXP gain. A very good argument against the idea, but maybe some of the others will have different opinions?
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

I am worried about a 7th becoming too much. When Akimoto joined the group a few of our post became more sporadic for awhile, and they have been again. (though it may just be the holidays, all of december a few of us were missing posts.) and on the other hand, when we all do post, it's daunting to read them all. It's a bit precarious, but if you think you can handle it Kinslayer, go ahead.

And I agree with everything Sidorio said about the EXP, as well, you would have to come up with a "system" to track it and let us know when we are rewarded. It's better to just reward our actions now when you see fit, that we we do not become overpowered because you are in total control.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Kefka wrote:I am worried about a 7th becoming too much. When Akimoto joined the group a few of our post became more sporadic for awhile, and they have been again. (though it may just be the holidays, all of december a few of us were missing posts.) and on the other hand, when we all do post, it's daunting to read them all. It's a bit precarious, but if you think you can handle it Kinslayer, go ahead.

And I agree with everything Sidorio said about the EXP, as well, you would have to come up with a "system" to track it and let us know when we are rewarded. It's better to just reward our actions now when you see fit, that we we do not become overpowered because you are in total control.

Noted. I feel the same. 7 could be too much, or it could work well. There's no real way to tell except by including the 7th player, but I'm not one to offer a temporary position and then have to remove that player if they are doing well but the group can't cope as I think it would be unfair. I think I myself can handle it, as I'm finding more and more time for the group lately. You may remember my saying I may bring things to an end some months ago, but hitting our 1 year anniversary and you all pulling together in the last few chapters has urged me to carry this on. And, the more I do so, the more I remember why I do it. Now I'm so far back into it, I would not put this group down anytime soon unless you all deserted me! And I don't see that happening, eh?

Thus, I think I can handle and have time to play with 7 players. As for the rest of you, it would mean reading one extra post each modturn, perhaps, but maybe it could work?

Okay, since EXP gain was an idea I thrust out with no real intention to use, I can now see why it is such a bad idea. Not one I will be using ;)
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

...I would have said the same regarding XP. Also, hi!

About that 7th player, I have my reservations. The Shades were assimilated pretty quickly due to them being introduced as a pair and bringing sorely needed abilities to the table. Following that, at least in my perspective, Yori had a much harder time finding his niche.

The new player would have to face the same obstacles and more. Perhaps Akimoto could shed some light on the issue?

Then there's the matter of experience. You sure a fresh recruit could hang with the big dogs? ;)
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Dauricha
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dauricha »

I would have no problem in regards to an xp system, speaking of vadvancement however I cant remeber the last time we gained a new skill or boost to stats, hey im just saying.

As for another chracter, my fears are that with 7 members... well it just seems to many for me. Yori myself and Vash'nir did manage it however, but Im not sure. I would also like to hear Yoris opnion on this.

Apart from that im loving this rp. it going amazingly well and cant wait to see what happens next.
Phalx Tr'dasr – WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Deathspitter (5/20) 4 of these poisoned (1/2x QD, 3xSD), short sword, dagger, punching dagger (Bloodthirst Rune), shade cloak, full leather armour
Inventory: thieves tools, torches x3, healing balms x5, rope and grapple, Vikarh map, dice, winter gear, orc tusk,
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 5829
Skills: Basic Stealth, Precision Fire, Basic Ride, Frenzy, Ambidexterity,Suithenlu Khythan (1): SP2
Check out, http://thingsfrom1934.com/
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

I can, end of the Warp-chapter. We all got shinies and stats. If the new player is going to be Khel, than I think he'd be able to handle it. However I share Raneth's concern - what would this character do? We're pretty well stocked, individually and as a team. He'd come in green as a banana. I'm not saying you should tell us, keep your secret, just pointing out some things you ought to consider.

The numbers don't worry me - SAUs work ok with up to fifteen players. Once again, if it's Khel, well he's in Australia like half the group already, so there won't be any timezone lag type issue. I do recall from the SAUs that he seemed to lack for free time, so that's something you should ask him about.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to leave the EXP system idea, it doesn't seem to be favoured over the existing one at any rate. As for Khel, his character is a male Khainite so is the one thing missing from the group so far. This was the only reason I really considered him, and coupled with his previous RPG history made him a viable option. As for keeping up with you guys, his character has already had 2 stat and 1 skill boosts since his creation, so is on par with yourselves. He can't join until February anyway, but I can't write him in for a while anyway.

I'm going to go ahead and let him join, it seems there are no big objections. I would advise he speaks to Yori about what Raneth mentioned though, and thanks for the heads up Layne on his posting. I have already told him we play daily-posting and high quality posting where possible, and he has said it should not be a problem.
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Kinslayer wrote:As for Khel, his character is a male Khainite so is the one thing missing from the group so far.

One of the Shades got a sex change?

Anyways, I'm relieved it's actually Khel we're talking about here, also because his character is well developed. Out of curiosity, did the idea take root before or after Khaina's story arc? ;)

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Raneth wrote:
Kinslayer wrote:As for Khel, his character is a male Khainite so is the one thing missing from the group so far.

One of the Shades got a sex change?

Anyways, I'm relieved it's actually Khel we're talking about here, also because his character is well developed. Out of curiosity, did the idea take root before or after Khaina's story arc? ;)

Female Shades, eh? Maybe I have that covered ;)

The idea of letting Khel join only struck me when I saw his thread calling out for a group to take him on. It just so happened there was a place coming up in which some cool new NPCs will be introduced. His character can stand in for one of those NPCs perfectly, so it seems almost like fate that his character is what he is!

;)
Akimoto
Noble

Post by Akimoto »

Okay, I'm back from my adventures in beach land and.... oh my god I've missed alot...

No issues here with a new player, really the only one it would worry is you, what with being the mod and all.

As for position in the group, not too sure how much help I would be... As Raneth said, it took me some bouncing about to find a particular role in the group, but I'm always happy to be the utility/talky sort so that has atleast mostly worked out (i think), I don't know how things will work for Khel's character...

well thats my 5 cents, so now I'm off to make a RP post
Yori Temel -- group 22

WS5 / S4 / T5 / D4 / I4

Equipment - Repeater crossbow, double-bladed spear, Light Armour, Heavy armour, helm, spiky vambraces, (stored: Zukhil sword, Shield)
Skills - Awareness, basic heal
Other: 1831gc, The Dragons Eye Amulet, Talisman of light, Healing Talisman, 15x healing balms, boots, gloves, woolen cloak, hatchet, backpack, rope, a Flint and Tinder, bedroll.
Sidorio
Assassin

Post by Sidorio »

Kinslayer wrote:
Female Shades, eh? Maybe I have that covered ;)

;)

There is a reason we of the shade clans do not speak of the females and why you never see them. :D

Also welcome back Akimoto, it's time to get the medi kit of yours out and start workin eh ;)
Vash’nir - WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: 2 asrai short swords, assassins dagger, silver dagger, modified repeater crossbow (20/20), hunting spear, Cloak of Dusk, full leather armour
Inventory: talisman of protection, talisman of night, smoke bombs x6, rope x2, healing balms x10, climbing axe x2, skinning knives, winter gear, Vikarh map, pouch of powder, 4 fire bombs
Mount: Dark Steed (Falken)
Gold: 2270
Skills: Stealth, Two Weapon Fighting, Basic Ride
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

The group has just hit 100 pages, and the end of Chapter 4 is only a few days away :twisted:

I have the start of and basic storyline of Chapter 5 planned, but the rest I have left unthought of for now. I have a few random ideas floating around in my head anyway, but I thought I'd remind you that you can post up suggestions for storylines here.

If you have an idea but don't want the others to know, PM me with it.

Or do you all prefer the not really knowing what's coming approach?

;)

Messiahofdeath
Cold One Knight

Post by Messiahofdeath »

100 pages? Gods, who would have known that all of the spammy spammers of the role playing forum would turn up in the same group.

Keep up the good work
By any means I’m NOT goth, it’s just them naggaroth fashion trends
Sinfulblade
Ws:4/S:2/T:4/D:5/I:4
Wargear: Shade Cloak, Bastard Sword, Short Sword, Dagger, Throwing knives, 760gold, blood sprites
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy, Basic Acrobatics
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Yer Heartrender did not exactly draw the names from a hat.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

MessiahOfDeath wrote:100 pages? Gods, who would have known that all of the spammy spammers of the role playing forum would turn up in the same group.

Keep up the good work

Curse your theatrics! Nice of you to drop by. :)

Messiahofdeath
Cold One Knight

Post by Messiahofdeath »

Raneth wrote:
MessiahOfDeath wrote:100 pages? Gods, who would have known that all of the spammy spammers of the role playing forum would turn up in the same group.

Keep up the good work

Curse your theatrics! Nice of you to drop by. :)

You thought that a sex-change and a group hop would stop me from breathing down your neck? NEVER!
Sinfulblade
Wargear: Shade Cloak, Bastard Sword, Short Sword, Dagger, Throwing knives, 760gold, blood sprites
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Hehe, good old times. I trust you're still setting things on fire with bravoure and eloquence? :P

Messiahofdeath
Cold One Knight

Post by Messiahofdeath »

Raneth wrote:Hehe, good old times. I trust you're still setting things on fire with bravoure and eloquence? :P

One must stick to his roots. You on the other hand... Defensive Fighting? Parry? Where's the spark in that? What happened to the motto: if strength doesn’t work you’re not using a big enough Draich?
Sinfulblade
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Layne and Khel got the hackyness pretty much covered, and it's fun playing a slightly less unhinged character, too (read: Intelligence of more than 2). Raneth died a suitable (predictably, very much deserved) death and Vryala's on her way to learn Riposte.

Turning defense into offense... mwuhahaha... :twisted:

Messiahofdeath
Cold One Knight

Post by Messiahofdeath »

Raneth died? Who's going to be my nemesis now? I want a fitting Moriarty for my Holmes (or vice versa for that matter)
Sinfulblade
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

You mean no-one in your current group has vowed to kill you yet?

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Come now little role players, be nice to each other :lol:
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Eh. We spent 15-ish pages worth of RP communicating only through death threats. Try and kick that habit. :P