Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

SAU 17 signup

Post by Tarbo »

Hail and hello, fellow underlings!

With the previous SAU/TAU coming to an end, I've decided to follow up with another one. Because SAUs are good opportunities to churn the rust off my writing skills. Because SAUs are good fun and intrigue. Because some of us are addicts and we need our fix.

If you'd like to participate, leave a post in this thread saying so. If you have any questions about the game, its mechanics, or anything related that comes to mind, this thread is also the place to do so.

I'm aiming for at least 16 players to start the game, which should allow for a somewhat more high-paced game.

Current player list
  1. Drainial
  2. SleekDD
  3. Raneth
  4. Sidorio
  5. Zardock
  6. Belial
  7. Kefka
  8. Draknir
  9. Katash
  10. Deroth
  11. LordAnubis
  12. sassmaw
  13. gramash

What is a SAU?

SAU stands for Slaanesh Amongst Us. The name hails from the early days of SAU on Druchii.net, where Slaaneshi had infiltrated a group of Khainist Druchii and had to be rooted out. While the protagonists and villains change with every session, the fundamental concepts remain the same.

The game is about a number of players amongst whom are incognito infiltrators. Each Day, all players can vote by majority to execute one of their fellows in hopes of in fact catching an infiltrator. Each Night, the infiltrators get to kill one of the loyalists. The loyalists win when all infiltrators are caught and eliminated. The infiltrators win when they equal or outnumber the loyalists.

If you want a better idea of what a SAU is like, feel free to peruse any of the earlier ones I've hosted:

What are the requirements to join?

You should have enough of a grasp of English to be able to understand full phrases and prose. How well you write is less important, though your fellow players will thank you if you can occasionally use punctuation. ;)

You should be able to keep track of the game at least once every two days, and preferrably daily. To keep the game flowing along at a steady pace, there are deadlines to every game phase. Typically, these phases are about 72 hours (3 days) in length. Experience teaches that phases longer than this tends to get the game 'stuck' and, because of the forum-nature of these games, SAUs are notoriously difficult to 'unstuck'.

How does the game work?

There are three main alternating phases to the game: the Morning phase, Evening phase, and Night phase. To set the phases apart from actual times in the short stories, phases always carry an initial capital letter: Morning, Evening, Night. After Morning comes Evening, then Night, and then Morning again.

The Morning and Evening phases are when all players convene and decide who, if anyone, to vote. Conversely, the Night phase gives infiltrators a chance to kill a loyalist.

-- The Morning phase --
Morning comes when Night ends, and is the phase where all players gather again to discuss. Everyone is required to post at least once in the Morning phase; players that have not posted by the time Morning ends are removed from the game.

Voting is possible during Morning, but execution is not. Votes made during Morning carry over to Evening, possibly leading to an execution.

-- The Evening phase --
When Morning ends, Evening sets in. During the Evening, posting is not required, but is still encouraged.

A majority vote leads to an immediate execution during Evening. When a player is removed through voting, or when the deadline is reached, Evening ends, and players retreat for the Night.

-- The Night phase --
Night starts as soon as Evening ends. The Night phase is when people with special abilities may choose how to use them; more importantly, it is when the infiltrators decide on and perform their kill, removing a loyalist from the game.

Infiltrators, and other players with the explicit ability to do so, may use the Night to communicate covertly with their allies. No other players may contact each other regarding the SAU.

When Night ends, Morning starts.

The game starts at Morning.

When do we start?

When we have enough players. :) But don't worry, we usually wait a few more days to give latecomers a chance to sign up before we kick off.

How long does this game take?

The game typically lasts about a month, a month-and-a-half. If you're going on holidays, conventions, or congress for more than a few days in the next two months, you should probably sit this one out. (There'll be other games.)
Last edited by Tarbo on Sun May 02, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I am in, as per usual. May you put my paltry efforts to shame once more. :D
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Sleekdd
Highborn
Location: Belgium, the only country where surrealism is a way of life.

Post by Sleekdd »

As Mortarion said when his craft was lost in the Warp and his crew ridden with disease and pestilence: "More."

Okay, in a less freaky way: sign me up, please.
Great minds think alike.
So if you want diversity, try morons.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Life's looking up.

I'll give this a go.
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

I've never played this before, but have heard good reports from many a RPer. I'd like a spot, please. 8)
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Sidorio
Assassin

Post by Sidorio »

I'm up for a go with it.
Vash’nir - WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: 2 asrai short swords, assassins dagger, silver dagger, modified repeater crossbow (20/20), hunting spear, Cloak of Dusk, full leather armour
Inventory: talisman of protection, talisman of night, smoke bombs x6, rope x2, healing balms x10, climbing axe x2, skinning knives, winter gear, Vikarh map, pouch of powder, 4 fire bombs
Mount: Dark Steed (Falken)
Gold: 2270
Skills: Stealth, Two Weapon Fighting, Basic Ride
Class: Shade
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

And spots you shall have. Welcome one, welcome all. ;)

Player list
  1. Drainial
  2. SleekDD
  3. Khel
  4. Raneth
  5. Sidorio
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Ooo-kay... five is is a bit too little to host a game unless I get really creative. ;)

Perhaps the rules are a bit too intimidating. Any thoughts or opinions?
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I don't think that that is it, my TAU was something of a flop turnout wise, I think that people simply don't have the time/intrest at the moment. It is a great shame but unless you have not already tried PM'ing the usual suspects (and you probobly already have) I don't think there is much that can be done. Prehaps in a month or so things will be better.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Gentleman of Moderation
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

With the Easter holidays peeking around the corner, I'm going to tentatively close the signup and postpone the SAU a few weeks. Five players really aren't enough to get the show on the road.

When it reopens, I'll send everyone on the list a PM to check whether you'd still like to play at that time.

To be continued... ;)
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Shame that you are post-poning this, but I'd like to be added to the list of people you will PM when you're going to start it up again.

Cheers
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

Count me out sorry, house broken into yadda yadda yadda.
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

So, I know you said you closed signup, but...
I'm in.
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

It's 'closed', as in, the game won't be kicking off in the next week or so. If there's ample interest in starting the game, which means having enough players, then we can start. ;)

Sorry to hear, Khel. I hope the damage is limited. I'll give you a shout anyway when the game starts; no strings attached.
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

I just noticed this, dang, wish it wasn't closed.
If it kicks off again, please give me a PM (or I'll watch this thread.) as I will also be in.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

That makes the current list to be seven players tall.

Player list
  1. Drainial
  2. SleekDD
  3. Raneth
  4. Sidorio
  5. Zardock
  6. Belial
  7. Kefka

We have to be taller for this ride, kids!
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

SAU 17 Sign-up open

Post by Tarbo »

Still loved and not forgotten. ;)

I'm currently having a rough patch at work, but since I don't see it improving any time soon, we might as well go ahead and prepare the game.

The sign-up is officially re-opened! If you see this note and (still) want to play, just leave a pong here on the board. I'll start pinging other people in a few days, when I get my notes together again...

Around here somewhere...
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Glad to see we're still doing this. Can't wait to get started Tarbo :D
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

I'm still in for it. Good to see it didn't die before it started

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

I could never do that to you guys. ;) Besides, if I don't get my fix, I'll start another bloodbath in my block and I'll get another bad review and I'll never get out on parole.

Seriously, though, probably the only reason I haven't sent out PMs yet is because I abhor the message system. Load, paste message, write name, double-check I haven't already sent him/her one, submit, wait a few minutes ... rinse and repeat. Pfffft.

The starting story is coming up slowly but nicely (busy weekend) so I'd really just like some extra folks in on it. But if we're seven, then seven it'll be.
Sleekdd
Highborn
Location: Belgium, the only country where surrealism is a way of life.

Post by Sleekdd »

I'm still game. Bring it on. 8)
Great minds think alike.
So if you want diversity, try morons.
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

The story's as good as done, and I've got my notes reassembled, so we're good to go from an organisational point of view. PM's to signers and invitations to others are going out now. I expect to kick off in about three days.

So, ladies and gentlemen, start your engines! :)
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

I'm aliiiiive.

Phew. I'm in.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I supose I probobly have time, ah who am I kidding of course I have time, allways time for an SAU.

Gentleman of Moderation
Katash
Executioner
Location: On a ship in a little glass bottle trying to figure out how I got here

Post by Katash »

Haven't been on D.net in a long time.
Sign me on up.
^^
Thus will it come to pass.
The dying leader will know
the truth of the opera house.
The missing three will give you the five
who have come from the home of the 13th.
You are the harbinger of death, kara thrace.
You will lead them all to their end.