Logo
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:13 pm



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Magic play test group 2 
Author Message
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 3:51 pm
Posts: 4641
Location: I am the voice inside your head
"Come on you pathetic runts, get everything on the cart!" Towering above the weary trudging peasants on her huge chestnut stallion the bandit chief brandished her long bladed spear flamboyantly, as if to underline the ever present threat. All around the tiny elven village in the hills above Vikrah bandits prowled on their tall steeds. Their clothes were ragged and dirty, their travel bags were worn, but there was not so much as a speck of rust on any of their many weapons.

By way of contrast to the filthy yet proud and vicious riders the peasants who moved amongst them walked with their heads bowed and their eyes on the floor. Throughout the mob of elves there was not a blade to be seen, unheard of in a Druchii village, but it was against 'the rules' for the villagers to carry arms.

The village rested in a valley between three tall hills, it was a tiny place. A handful of wooden houses clustered around three larger buildings; an inn with little drink and a store with barren shelves both overshadowed by the centre of the village economy, the wine store and press. From out of that store snaked a line of peasants clad only in homespun tunics, to an elf they were bent under the weight of large sacks of grain or earthenware jars sloshing with wine.

Kicking her horse over to the best dressed of the peasants, standing alone and watching the others haul their burdens.
"I am so glad we could come to this little arrangement," she mused in a mocking tone
"Yes, yes." the peasant said, his tone resigned,
"Much better this way, avoids so much unnecessary bloodshed," she went on
"Indeed," the lack of conviction in his tone was far from subtle. In mock astonishment the raider circled her horse in front of him
"Oh but surely as mayor you must agree, I mean just think of all your dear subjects!" she said, tone dripping with sarcasm. This finally provoked some response, looking up into the eyes of his tormentor the mayor said
"We all do what we have to, it doesn't mean we have to like it." This seemed to strike the chieftain as terribly funny, chuckling to herself she wheeled her horse around to witness the loading of the last few casks onto the wagon. Spurring over to it she called in her wolves, there was to be no blood sport this day, it did not do to torture to golden goose after all.

Bowing from the saddle towards the stoic mayor she waved
"A pleasure to do business with you, be assured you shall hear from Ariana Keava again" as the wagon rolled down the mud packed road accompanied by its mounted escort he muttered
"As we did last month, and the month before that."
"And every month thereafter," the mayor, and the small crowd still gathered around, turned to find the source of the voice. It was an elf known to the village only as 'Grand father', though in truth he was so old that even his grandchildren were already in their graves. He had been there at the foundation of the village, and most confidently expected him to be around until the village was dust.

Leaning on his walking stick grand father limped closer
"We cannot continue like this," this pronouncement was greeted by a murmur of agreement from many gathered around.
"What is the alternative? To fight? They will kill us all, and drink our blood rather than our wine," the mayor retorted. Grand father waved his hand as if to brush his words aside
"We will die anyway, who has eaten enough to fill their belly today? Who can remember the last time they were full? I would rather dare a warrior’s death for the hope of freedom than starve to death at the feet of my oppressor."
"What do we know of a warrior’s death, we are no warriors here!" the mayor shot back
"We can fight!" shouted one of the younger elves assembled
"We can die!" the mayor snapped back

"Peace! Peace I pray you," Grand father held up his free arm for silence. Once attention was focused on him once more he continued
"There is another way, we may not be warriors here, but there are warriors there." he announced, gesturing to the west."
"In the hills?" the mayor scoffed
"In the city, in Vikarha," at this the mayor shook his head
"And we pay for them with what? All that we have is in that harlot's camp," Grand father chuckled softly
"Hardly everything, I will wager that you have a few things stashed away somewhere," Turning to the assembled elves he pointed at one
"A gold chain, buried under the floor boards perhaps?" he chose another "A silver idol hidden in the rafters or inside the mattress?"
"But that’s all we have left!" the villager protested "Take that away and we truly have nothing!"
"You will still have your life," Grand father reminded him, "and without that all else is dust on the wind,"

_______________________________________________________________________

The three peasants were more than a little conspicuous on the streets of Vikarha, they had been walking for four days to reach the city and had had little enough to drink, let alone eat, the whole way. None the less they had made it and set about finding themselves warriors for hire. They had quickly found that it would not be easy, though mercenaries abounded in the city few wanted to take a contract on so little money and for so great a risk. Certainly they would not be able to afford to match the brigands in terms of numbers, but they had come this far, and so they looked.

Their search eventually lead them to an inn called the Dancing Kraken, a haunt, so they had been told, of mercenaries who were down on their luck and without a company to march with. It seemed the ideal place to find desperate elves, and that surely was what they needed.

As the trio entered the inn they were met with an array of speculative stares, soon though they were ignored. These three were no threat, and to all appearances they were not worth robbing. This was far from the truth, in a bag tied over one shoulder the mayor carried all of the valuables left in the village, though he was sceptical about the whole scheme it was a job he would trust to no one else, nudged by one of his companions the hesitant peasant stepped forwards
"Umm, ah, attention, everyone one," a few people looked round, but not many, clearing his throat he tried again
"Attention, attention please!" he did not have much luck, but a few more eyes were turned on him and the elf seemed to think that this would have to do for he continued
"I have work, for those who want it," this announcement was met mostly by laughter, but a few showed some signs of interest
"Umm, well, anyone who wants a job should meet us in there," he pointed to a tiny alcove set a little apart from the rest of the common room, it would provide some small measure of privacy at least.

_________________
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation


Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:58 pm
Profile
Malekith's Personal Guard
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:19 pm
Posts: 910
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Post 
Sitting in the common room of the inn, staring moodily into the dregs of his wine, Cananatra noticed the three poorly dressed elves step in. They clearly were not mercenaries, and they definitely weren’t well enough dressed to be anyone hired by a certain disgruntled previous employer. They offered a job, yet looked even worse off then most of the inns patrons. Spinning the goblet around on the table to watch the remains of the wine slosh about Cananatra weighed up his options.

They’re poor looking, and yet here offering a job. Could be desperate, or a disguise. Cananatra’s hand strayed to his distressingly light pouch tucked into his armour. Considering my current fortunes any money they offer, which wouldn’t be much, would be an improvement. Letting his gaze fall firmly upon them in the far alcove he continued to agonise over the decision. A mercenary life is dangerous, and payment is a must. But then, they wouldn’t have enemies in high places, so the risk would be low. Low pay low risk?

Realising that regardless of the risk he needed the money, and despite their appearance they were the only work going, Cananatra put down the goblet. Giving a sigh of frustration as he stood, he swung his shield onto his back with the proficiency of repetition. A slight adjustment to his sword belt and he was ready to go. Threading his way between the other drinkers he approached the three who had offered the job.

With a slight nod of greeting he spoke.
“You need a mercenary? Cananatra, at your service. I hope this job of yours is, diverting.


Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:05 pm
Profile
Noble
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:26 am
Posts: 475
Post 
Karek sat at a table without a drink, ignored by the others around him, who jollied or were themselves thinking, probably about their bad luck. He looked enough like a mercenary, with his armor and weapons somewhat fresh from the battlefield. It had been less than a month ago that his bands fortunes against the High Elves had turned, with the arrival of their dragons. His spear had broken against the flesh of one of them, one of many that brought the fearsome creature to its knees, but his unit was one of the exceptions. Almost to a man they had died, and, the rest fleeing back to the Black Ark set out for the Druchii mainland. When he got back, the presence of the Blackguard in the expedition changed from a relief to a threat. Malekith wouldn't allow any more glory here.

So he had left, and here he was, in this miserable hole, with nothing to amuse himself with. It was his first time here, and without contacts, it seemed he couldn't find a job. "Umm, ah, attention, everyone one, attention, attention please!" Karek was one of the few who turned at the announcement, curious to find out what this elf wanted.

"I have work, for those who want it," Laughter erupted at the sound of this. Apparently they wouldn't take any job from these lowly peasants. "Umm, well, anyone who wants a job should meet us in there." With that, they went to a private-looking alcove in the inn. Karek sat for a few seconds, rolling it over in his mind. It may seem to be a lowly job, but he wouldn't be able to get any better for awhile it seemed. Draining the rest of his drink, Karek rose, and went to the place they had specified.

Before him was a smaller elf, who nonetheless seemed experienced and capable in his stance. He quickly volunteered himself for the job. Karek however, was more reserved. "What's the pay?"

_________________
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.


Last edited by Masked jackal on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:56 am
Profile
Executioner
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:42 pm
Posts: 164
Location: Down the Rabbit Hole
Post 
While the elf was stuttering through his little announement, Mynucia was rather enjoying herself, observing the so-called mercenaries present in the Dancing Kraken. Soldiers, brigands, street fighters, ... If Naggarond was the crest of Naggaroth, then Vikarha was its cesspool. Some swiftly raised their heads upon hearing that there was work available, only to return to their drinks and games when they saw who was offering it. The elf and his two companions looked like beggars. They carried nothing with them other than a dirty bag and, judging by their appearance, it probably didn't contain anything of value. It was hard to believe their clothes had been made by elves, and if it wasn't for their dark hair and sharp features she would have believed them to be fleeing slaves. Whatever it was that they were offering, it was probably nothing this collection of filth would appreciate.

So it came as a suprise to Mynucia that two of the lot rose and followed the three would-be employers. They looked tough, hardened and, since they seemed interested in what the three elves had to say, desperate. Oh, how she wished she could laugh at them for having to take up such a lowly offer! But she couldn't. She hated to admit it, but she too had need for paid employment. The ships of Naggaroth didn't sail for free; if she ever wanted to travel to the Old World she would have to gather the necessary funds and, rather unfortunately, this was the only way she deemed respectful enough. Cursing Vikarha and its inhabitants, she rose from her seat and followed the trail of the five elves.

The small alcove was separated from the rest of the inn through thin, half-transparant curtains. Mynucia could discern the shapes of the two mercenaries as they blocked the others from her view. As she approached them she could hear one of them immediately inquiring about the payment. Desperate or smart? Probably a bit of both. Moving the curtains aside, she added her own voice to the conversation. "I believe we all want to know that."


Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:07 am
Profile
Trainee Warrior

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:07 pm
Posts: 25
Post 
Lanain was sitting down in one of the town taverns after a particularly gruesome mercenary job that had almost cost her, her life, but at least she had got the money. but that money was running low and she was in need of another job. She was sitting there wondering where she would have to go to find a job when three elves walked through the door. She turned around quickly to see who it was.The site that met her eyes was unexpected. The were Quite plainy a mess!

She was just about to return her focus to her half empty mug when the leader of them called for attention. He was not very big or aggressive and no-one took much notice but she turned around just to see what he was going to say, for lack of anything better to do, than listen to a penniless peasant.

As she looked back she sensed that they weren't as poor as they seemed and moments later her suspicions were confirmed when he started the announcement. After another pathetic plea for attention he was apparently offering a job for some mercenaries and would like them step into a small alcove in the wall so he could explain things in more detail.

This statement caused general hilarity from the watching crowed but Lanain thought that if somehow these strange elves had something to offer she had better find out what it was. She pushed back her chair and proceeded to the alcove Where a small group had already assembled . Three other elves were already offering their services or asking what the offer was.

I guess I'll be joining you said Lanain. but I would still like a few more details.


Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:45 pm
Profile
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 3:51 pm
Posts: 4641
Location: I am the voice inside your head
Post 
Whatever little pride the peasants had left had taken a beating ever since they had left the familiar surroundings of the mountains for the hard streets of Vikrah, the raucous laughter following their offer of work hardly helped. Straining to maintain the dignity that he thought came with the office of mayor the leading land grubber turned with his two companions into the small alcove, brushing aside ragged curtains, and taking a seat on a wide wooden bench covered with a scattering of stained cushions suggesting that upon occasion the space was used for more than business meetings.

For a moment the trio knew disappointment (not that they were unused to it by now) thinking that no one was coming. It was with relief that they saw a large armoured form make its way in and offer his services. The mayor indicated that the mercenary should sit. As Cananatra introduced himself another elf, similarly armed, pushed his way through the curtains. More prudent than Cananatra he was interested in the specifics of the job before jumping in.

The mayor opened his mouth to answer when the curtains parted for a third time. In stark contrast to the earlier arrivals this one wore no armour, only practical robes. She was an odd one by all accounts, a silk headband out of place amongst her plain attire and, most curiously of all, no boots.

None the less the peasants were more than happy to give her welcome and the two males reluctantly scooted up closer together in order to allow her a place on the bench opposite their prospective employers. She too, it seemed, was most interested in the pay.

Once more the peasant’s response was interrupted by the entrance of another she elf, her attire much like that of Mynucia, if a little more traditional in the foot ware department.

After waiting a moment to see whether any more of the mercenaries would deign to join them the mayor began at last.
"Thank you, all of you, for expressing an interest. Ah, I believe I had better explain the nature of our problem. You see we come from a village in the foot hills of the mountains to the east of the city. It is in a valley, a very bountiful place. For some reason it is one of the few places in Naggaroth where grapes will grow, some say sorcery was involved when the city was first founded, I don't know." he shook his head with a mournful sigh
"What I do know is that four months ago a group of brigands came down from the hills. We tried to resist, of course, but the first of our young men were simply trampled into the dust, we had few weapons and little idea of how to use those that we had. We thought that they would steal everything, burn the village to the ground, kill us all or sell us off as slaves; but we were wrong. The leader of these bandits is a she elf, and she is a clever one. She took all of the valuable goods she could find, all of our wine, but she let us live. She did not sell us into slavery, but we are as good as slaves, we work the land for her now, Once a month her wolves come and take everything we have managed to produce, leaving us just enough to starve on.

We would rather die than live such a life, but we cannot fight them, because she is too cleaver. On that first day she took all of our children. They are her hostages and so we can do nothing.

Rescue our children and we will fight, perhaps we may even win, it is possible. The bandit chief, Ariana is her name, has thirty riders; if you come with we will have four warriors.

We can offer you little pay upfront, twenty gold coins apiece, but when the battle is done you may take all of the plunder you can carry, and she has taken much from us."
Smiling weakly the mayor looked up at his prospective employees.

"So, what do you think? Any questions?

OOC: Thanks for singing up everyone, if you could all put a summary of your characters in your sigs that would be great, though obviously tricky in Masked Jackal's case. The next deadline will be 12 midnight 31st March, but let’s see if we can push ahead a little faster so that we can start flexing our magical (and mundane) muscles a little.
-Drainial

_________________
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation


Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:15 pm
Profile
Noble
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:26 am
Posts: 475
Post 
"Four...against thirty? That sounds fun." Really, it sounded suicidal, but maybe they had a chance, if they could split them up. That didn't sound too likely though, Karek really wasn't the type to come up with a plan for that. He'd just have to rely on someone here being smarter than that bandit leader. If things went south, then he'd just have to pull out. Being enemies of some bandit queen wouldn't be too big a deal.

_________________
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.


Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:55 am
Profile
Trainee Warrior

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:07 pm
Posts: 25
Post 
Four versus thirty! That will be interesting, and if they are good fighters? Oh well it is never a good thing to think too much about those kind of numbers. Just enjoy each fight as it happens, and on the bright side if we do win I have no doubt that these villagers will pay us as well as possible, thought Lanain.

She already knew she was taking the job - however ludicrous the odds were. So the less she complained the better. She looked around her at the other three elves and decided that they were good companions to have when the fighting started.

"Four against thirty does sound amusing, in a bit of a bad joke kind of way, but we all know that we aren't going to play to the rules! So what is the plan?"

Name: Lanain Serpent Fang
WS3 S3 T3 D4 I5
Skills: level one Aqshy and Azyr
Equipment: dagger, robes, staff
class: Mage


Last edited by Ubba on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.



Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:32 am
Profile
Malekith's Personal Guard
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:19 pm
Posts: 910
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Post 
Four to rescue the children. And then a bunch of half starved peasants to help us kill the rest of the raiders. Well this could prove interesting. And who knows? If we do kill the raiders that’s a fair bit of loot.

Cananatra glanced around as the others spoke. Two of his new companions wore nothing but some robes, and carried no real weaponry, Mages. Useful for evening the odds in what could prove a close fight. The other was similarly attired to himself, obviously a warrior, and a big guy at that.

“Well then. I cant speak for the others, but I’ll take the job. I hope you know where this raider camp is. I don’t want to wait for them to come to us.”


Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:49 pm
Profile
Executioner
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:42 pm
Posts: 164
Location: Down the Rabbit Hole
Post 
As the mayor recounted the miserable history of his village to the assembly, Mynucia couldn't help but be fascinated by the fourth addition to their little group. Though this new she-elf didn't look like anyone important or special, Mynucia felt there was an unusual aura surrounding her that the others lacked. The familiarity of it scared and intrigued her in equal measure. The only other time she'd ever perceived such an aura was years ago, when that dark sorceress had attempted to be both Mynucia's judge and executioner, an attack that had almost cost her her life. No, Mynucia's first encounter with another practioner of magic hadn't been a happy one. She decided not to take any action against this one though. In her first encounter she had been lucky. Until she'd taken measure of this one's intentions and powers she wouldn't move against her. Yet.

The voice of the one who'd first inquired about the reward snapped Mynucia out of her thoughts. "Four...against thirty? That sounds fun." Once she realised what he was talking about, the conclusion was simple. He was neither desperate nor smart - he was simply mad. A madman with a deathwish it seemed. The others were more sensible, if still a little too enthusiastic to her taste, and Mynucia heard them before speaking up. "The odds look impossible. Your enemies outnumber us, are probably better equipped and familiar with the terrain." She turned to look at each of her 'colleagues', who despite their flaws and mysteries looked battle-hardened and confident, before adding "But if any of these eggheads can come up with a decent strategy, I'm willing to give it a try."


Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:34 am
Profile
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 3:51 pm
Posts: 4641
Location: I am the voice inside your head
Post 
Though some were more enthusiastic than others there seemed to be a broad consensus, they would take up the task. Visibly relieved the three peasants stood, once more taking the lead the mayor said
"This is good news, we must set off as soon as possible, at first light tomorrow,"
_______________________________________________________________________

The large city gates ground open as the first rays of dawn began to bring light to the predawn twilight, the guards still drowsy. With the opening of the gates there came the harsh Naggarothi wind, it blew from the east today it seemed, and while that made it a little warmer than the north wind it was still hardly balmy weather. None the less all of the mercenaries as well as their peasant employers were well used to the chill of Naggaroth.

The aura rising behind the distant mountains was impressive to say the least, gold and amber swirling amongst the clouds like some celestial forge, it was an auspicious beginning and the seven elves set off in spirits that were, if not cheery, at least less depressed than might have been expected.
_______________________________________________________________________

The party had been walking for two days and the weather had held fairly well through the first day and night, but now, as they approached the end of the second day, thunder could be heard from the south even as the first drops of rain began to find their way into the cracks between folds of cloth and raised collars. It was as they were trudging on through the deluge when the first shadow flitted across their vision, large and threatening, but silent.

The sporadic thunder hid any sounds they might have heard above the lashing rain, and yet as they marched all seven became increasingly aware that they were not alone. Shadows in the rain dogged their every step and a foul smell began to creep towards their nostrils.

After another hour darkness was closing in, helped on its way by the unrelenting rain clouds. Perhaps this was why the shadows chose this moment to strike, who could tell? With a howl heard even above the shattering thunderclaps a pack of wolves leaped into clear vision, their coats sodden but their teeth more than sharp enough to rend and tear.

First one, then another, then another loped into view until eight shaggy hounds were in plain sight arrayed in a semi circle before them. Acting as they were all of one mind they charged simultaneously, careering across the slippery ground towards the newly forged group, this would be their crucible.

Right you are now two days walk from the city, half way to the village. You are clustered in a relatively small space with the peasants in the centre. The wolves are about fifteen meters away and closing fast. The next dead line is 12 midnight April 3rd.

-Drainial

_________________
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation


Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:07 pm
Profile
Trainee Warrior

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:07 pm
Posts: 25
Post 
They had been walking for two long days and Lanian was tired and footsore. The night was dark a there was a bad storm, but there was something else in the air, more than just the storm and she was becoming increasingly anxious.

Then the dogs attacked. Eight of them. Well built and howling to raise the dead. As they charged Lanain sprang into action.

She will draw on the magical power that she feels ever present and make flashes of bright light combined with bursts of white sound around the dogs heads. (It wouldn't hurt any of them but it might distract the stupid creatures)


OOC: I don't really know at what strength to play her magic but how is this?
Name: Lanain Serpent Fang
WS3 S3 T3 D4 I5
Skills: level one Aqshy and Azyr
Equipment: dagger, robes, staff
class: Mage


Last edited by Ubba on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:10 am, edited 3 times in total.



Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:59 pm
Profile
Noble
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:26 am
Posts: 475
Post 
Karek took the long walks like a soldier would, in silence. He had learned to be patient on the long voyages across the sea in the Black Arks, though it was much harder to bear it without friends there to ease his boredom. He barely knew these people. It had been two days now, and he'd barely talked to any of them.

The first sign was their silhouettes. Eight dogs surrounded the party, and closed a short distance away, as the peasants cowered, and the mercenaries prepared their various powers. Karek himself unsheathed his sword and shield, setting himself into a defensive position, preparing to meet the charge of any of the hounds coming in this direction. He'd leave the others to his companions.


Karek assumes a defensive position, trusting the others to hold the areas he can't.

_________________
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.


Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:53 am
Profile
Malekith's Personal Guard
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:19 pm
Posts: 910
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Post 
OOC: I assume being a lvl1 I cant hurl lightening at the dogs.

IC: The rain fell from the sky with typical nagarothii vigour, rendering the surrounding landscape into a patchwork collection of shadows, flickering in and out of sight with squalls of wind whipping the rain. Cananatra’s armour had long since let in the weather. The cold trickle of rainwater flowing off his helm and down the back of his neck had taken on seemingly epic proportions, feeling almost as if a river was making its way down his spine. After some time he became aware, over the discomfort, of shadows following their trail. At first they seemed to be tricks of the eye, to be dismissed. As they continued to appear though, it soon became apparent that something did follow them.

As darkness closed in they took the chance to strike. The howls carried on the wind clearly audible over the clash of thunder. As the first howl sounded Cananatra swung his shield off his back and settled it in place on his arm before drawing his sword. When he was eventually ready the wolves appeared. The looked soaked, but still as dangerous as ever.

And here I was thinking that wolves don’t attack people. An instant later they charged. Moving forward into a position that could offer some cover to the peasants Cananatra reached for what little magic was at his disposal, while bracing his shield before him. Holding the shape of the spell in his mind he waited for the wolves to close.

Cananatra will move into a protective position from where he can help the peasants and any of his comrades he has the opportunity too. As the nearest wolf reaches them he will attempt to cast his spell, knocking it off balance with a blast of wind, and striking with his sword before it recovers.

_________________
Group 28- Name: Cananatra; Warrior; Follower of Slaanesh
WS:4 S:4 T:5 D:4 I:3
Equipment: MC Long sword, Throwing Axe, Dagger, Heavy Armour, Slaanesh Amulet, Dalvian Hunting Horn, Rations x 7, Null stone x 1, 525 Gold, Dark Steed, Blackpowder Pistol [18/18]
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Ride, Endurance


Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:53 pm
Profile
Trainee Warrior

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:07 pm
Posts: 25
Post 
OOC: well FORKED LIGHTNING in lore of heavens is well with in the power of any first level, if the borrow from the pool and I'm assuming that the storm over head is some sort of pool. If not I'm not really sure what she can do with magic.

You can try to do anything; it’s just whether or not you will succeed that is in question. Just remember that level one in RPG and level one in WHFB are two very different things, a level one battle mage is probably the most powerful wizard an average person will ever meet. I am working on the principal that manipulating events is easier than creating them, hurling lightning is still quite a challenge, but we shall see...

If you have not already try reading the first play test (or a little of it,) to get an idea of what magic could do there. Obviously this is looking to build on that, but everyone should be familiar with the groundwork.

-Drainial


Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:44 pm
Profile
Executioner
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:42 pm
Posts: 164
Location: Down the Rabbit Hole
Post 
The stormy weather pleased Mynucia. She had been aching to get out of Vikarha and its all too confining streets, so this little journey to the plagued home of these peasants brought her some much needed relief. When the rain finally came she felt even more revitalised: powerful Ghyran energy was vested in natural phenomena like this one, and she could feel it pulsing through her as it kindled a wildness inside her which she hadn't experienced in quite some time. As her own natural spirit sought to join the force patterns generated by the storm, Mynucia knew she had to take care. The energies this storm had brought forth were vast, and if she didn't rein them in they would surely take control of her. Mynucia much preferred it the other way round.

While she was both revelling in and attempting to control the powers of the storm, Mynucia had failed to notice the presence of the wolves until they stood before the group in plain sight, blocking the road. Before anyone had time to speak the animals began their charge towards their would-be dinner. Caught off-guard, Mynucia hastily gestured to the others, signalling them to form a wall before the peasants. She would have been happy to feed them to the wolves in trade for safe passage, but alas, they still had need of them.

Deciding that there was no time to discuss further strategy, Mynucia quickly began to draw mystic sigils in the air, empowering them with words of power. Due to the time constraints her work was more patchy than she would've liked, but it was a simple spell considering the current weather. If she was successful they might get some respite and time to come up with a more decent plan.

Mynucia will attempt to trap or slow down the wolves by making the already muddy ground even muddier.

Quote:
OOC: I intended to post this yesterday, but apparently my internet connection (or this site) had some trouble processing the post. Sorry!


Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:43 am
Profile
Trainee Warrior

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:07 pm
Posts: 25
Post 
OOC: I don't think that should use up to much magical power.


Last edited by Ubba on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:58 am
Profile
Malekith's Personal Guard
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:22 pm
Posts: 924
Location: Rallying Team Druchii.net
Post 
I suggest for those of your new to magic forget everything about how magic works in the game of WFB. Instead try and do practical things with it - for example I've found the best use of the lore of metal is to melt scabbards to stop swords being drawn, melt helmet visors etc.

I would probably suggest that anyone with fire tries to make lights - a way of using heavens might be to create a very loud thuderclap to try and frighten the wolves. Lightning is always good too fo course. The idea of making the ground boggy is a good one.

I hope this helps.

_________________
Name: Khalia D'Vaarko (meaning: Khalia, property of Vaarko)
Age: 210
Height/Weight: 5'6", 8 stone
Other: no distinguishing features, barring the brand of a great house left wrist.
Class: Mage
Equipment: Robes, Dagger, Staff
Skills: Power of Ulgu, Power of Chamon
Stats: Ws3, S3, T3, D4, I5

lrnec wrote:
Reality and truth is more brutal than almost any fantasy game


Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:22 pm
Profile
Trainee Warrior

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:07 pm
Posts: 25
Post 
OOC: Thank you for your advise I will definitely keep it in mind when posting.


Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:33 am
Profile
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 3:51 pm
Posts: 4641
Location: I am the voice inside your head
Post 
As the wolves attacked it was Lanion who was first to respond, calling upon the howling winds of magic and the tempest above she sought to duplicate, in part, the effects of the storm in miniature. With a crash the echo of thunder seemed to appear right by the ears of the beasts at the centre of the pack accompanied by flashes of light to blind and beguile the dumb creatures into thinking that lightning was striking. Whimpering one of the wolves, more cowardly than the others, ran off into the rain in pure terror. The rest were less easily impressed but still the two at the centre of the line stopped up short at the crash of thunder, growling and snapping at the light, unsure whether to go on.

The two warriors moved slightly to the fore and spread slightly apart so as to cover the most ground, as the wolves closed on him however Canatra revealed his hidden talents. Calling upon nearby winds both corporal and aetheric the warrior gathered and channelled one particularly fearsome gust and released it towards the nearest of their assailants. The slavering jaws were opened still wider in mute surprise as the blast knocked the wolf several feet sideways to slew through the churned mud and struggle to its feet. Despite this display there were still plenty to canines left to deal with and it was only a well placed shield that prevented the jaws of the beast next in line from tearing apart his hamstring. Slashing downwards the warrior split the wolf's skull, but even as it slumped at his feet he saw another launch itself past him at one of the peasants, the farmer managed to dance backwards with a terrified yelp, but surely would soon be caught.

Meanwhile on the other flank Karak found that he had far less to do, Myuncia took the very essence of the mud that was all around, the naturally attuned the elf felt it more than most, and simply spread it outwards, downwards. Two wolves still careered towards her and Karak when their paws, griping well enough even in these conditions, simply began to sink into the ground. As they placed their feet down each paw sank a clear six inches into the ground, wallowing in the mud that slowly pulled themselves forwards, madness brewing in their eyes.

Right, a good set of first posts I think, this is all about learning after all. If I was a little loose with the translation of just what you were trying to do please forgive me. One wolf has run away, two more in the centre have stopped, frightened and confused by the noise and lights. On the right flank one wolf is dead, another has been knocked onto one side but is now back on its feet while a third has lunged for one of the peasants. On the left flank two wolves are wallowing in the mud, advancing but very slowly.

On another note I am going to my grandmother’s house for four days (fun times :roll: ) and she does not have the internet so I shall be incommunicado until probably the ninth of April. Accordingly that will be the next deadline. Also If I could just ask again for people to put a summation of their profiles in their sig's; Masked Jackal as the first magic play test seems to have died a death perhaps you could give Karak pride of place. It is just to make my life easier, I am afraid that my memory for details of strangely inconsequential (in real life) things, formidable as it is, does not quite stretch to having memorised all of your character’s stats, abilities and equipment so if you could help me out there it would be much appreciated.

Anyway, next deadline 12 midnight 9th April.

-Drainial

_________________
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation


Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:18 pm
Profile
Noble
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:26 am
Posts: 475
Post 
Karek took advantage of the opportunity, stepping in to finish off the closer of the wolves flailing about in the mud. Distance permitting, he would then proceed to finish off the other, but if it was too far away, he would keep back and protect the others as they brought more of their magic to bear. Mages tended to be fragile beings as he remembered from his time on the Black Ark Dreadwind.
[[Karek will step forward and finish one of the wolves with his sword. This is assuming of course that the extended reach will be enough to kill them safely without slipping and falling. Otherwise, he will continue to defend.]]

_________________
8th Edition Druchii War Report:
W/D/L: 30/1/15
http://www.freedomstudios.net/boredlife/boards/index.php?sid=18db5076e750fafca78c5ae7ed86bab3
Bored Life: Forum for RPs and general discussion in need of new blood. PM for details.


Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:25 am
Profile
Trainee Warrior

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:07 pm
Posts: 25
Post 
Lanain looked on delighted, as her spell took effect, but unfortunately, there was no time to gloat. Myuncia was also showing off her magical power and that ment the only really dangerous ones were a her side of the battle.

She was quite confident that Cananatra could kill the one that he had knocked off balance, but the other one was a problem. She had never been very good at fighting, but she thought she knew enough to make a difference - with some magical help of course!

She will bring her staff up to strike the beast that is attacking a peasant, aiming to get it right at the top of the spine were it will hurt most. She will also flow her magical power into the tip if the staff, until she can see blue sparks coming out of it, and strange lights circling round it. Then she will bring the staff down will all her might, to hit the dog in the back of the neck.

Name: Lanain Serpent Fang
WS3 S3 T3 D4 I5
Skills: level one Aqshy and Azyr
Equipment: dagger, robes, staff
class: Mage


Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:10 am
Profile
Malekith's Personal Guard
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:19 pm
Posts: 910
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Post 
With a snarl Cananatra tore his blade free of the wolf and glanced towards the peasants. One of the mages was moving to cover them. Putting the rest from his mind he leapt after the wolf he had blasted aside.

That’s enough magic for the minute. The last spell had left an irritating pain in the back of his head. Time for some more steel

His charge, though fast, wasn’t reckless in the thick mud. As he neared the wolf he pulled his shield into position and then swung with his sword straight at the wolfs neck.

Cananatra will strike at the wolfs neck with his sword.

_________________
Group 28- Name: Cananatra; Warrior; Follower of Slaanesh
WS:4 S:4 T:5 D:4 I:3
Equipment: MC Long sword, Throwing Axe, Dagger, Heavy Armour, Slaanesh Amulet, Dalvian Hunting Horn, Rations x 7, Null stone x 1, 525 Gold, Dark Steed, Blackpowder Pistol [18/18]
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Ride, Endurance


Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:40 pm
Profile
Trainee Warrior

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:07 pm
Posts: 25
Post 
OOC: what is happening about the deadline.

I have pm'd Angelique, if she does not post soon then I will post the next modpost whether he/she makes an appearance or not.

-Drainial


Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:40 pm
Profile
Trainee Warrior

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:07 pm
Posts: 25
Post 
OOC: that's fine


Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:20 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software