The Magic Reality Show (TMRS) - OOC

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Looks like I would get detrimental side-effect for a year and a day, that's not something I was aiming for.

My plan was to get my casting to +2, so I would only get mild side effects, but you decided that the target is not something touched with both hands Calisson.

In that case I would shorten the duration to one week (though one week is no on the list of durations, it jumps from 1 day to 1 year) to hopefully push it to +2, so a -1 and a mild side effect.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

@ Dalamar
OK, I'll see if I can adjust something.

@ all
Everybody has posted his actions.
I'll proceed and solve them.
I also need to write a little fluff around, if only by respect to all that was written by you.

I expect to post the poll thread tomorrow Sunday late afternoon or early evening.
The votes will be open for 24 hours.
I don't want to make it 48 hrs because I need the final results to start the night's events.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Is the poll open to Players or everybody on the site? It seems a bit unfair if anybody can vote because they might only read half of the replies if they aren't someone playing in the game. Let's put it this way there is a LOT of reading there for somebody who is not involved to get through. What happens in the event of a tie?
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

How do we decide the size of detrimental side effect we get, or is it determined by factors beyond our control? I'm already eating toast only for the rest of the contest ... ah well, perhaps it won't be for that lo- I mean, maybe I can at least get away with scones? :D
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

In that case I would shorten the duration to one week (though one week is no on the list of durations, it jumps from 1 day to 1 year) to hopefully push it to +2

Presumably we would all like to go for that option if it's available. Certainly if there's a bonus for dropping the duration from 1 year to 1 week then I'd be keen on doing that!

I'm also a little ambiguous about opening up the polling to all of D.Net... but then equally having it so only the in-game players could vote only could lead potentially to ganging up or people who know each other better being more inclined to vote against relative outsiders rather than their friends. Neither option seems particularly appealing, but I'm not sure what the solution should be instead... Perhaps one solution could be to have the result made in part by the Mod's call and in part by a dice roll? (E.G. the mod gives each poster's actions a grade, factors in the % change based on speed of response, and then rolls a dice for each participant, adding that score to their total. The worst 3 scorers get placed in the pit).
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

FAQ.

- For the poll,
of course, I could ask only the 8 gamers to send me a PM.

But I imagined that game as a "reality show". I like the idea of this thread becoming a popular event shared by all D.netters.
Just like in your favourite reality show, any people watching can cast their vote with a phone message.

I'd like to try at least once.
After that experiment, you all will let me know.

@ Syjahel
The side effect is there to offset the difficulty of the spell.
You don't choose it directly, it is chosen automatically according to the spell.
If your spell is a very powerful spell and you don't put lots of efforts into it (such as taking a mere Level 1 to consacrate an altar when a level 3 would be more appropriate), it seems fair that something goes wrong, i.e. bad side effect.
On the other hand, if you cast a very easy spell and you put lots of energy in it, the side effect will be very light.
An average spell cast with good effort will make average side effects.

Imagine you had the same tasks with a Level 3 instead of a Level 1:
the spells would be at +2 to cast compared to what you have, and the side effects would be moved 2 slots more menial.

- Spell's duration.
Sure, everyone would love to get a week's effect when a week is required.

I don't want the scale to overstretch too much. From -2 to +2 is the maximum I can allow, and not a single exception will be allowed.
As a rule of the thumb, the model I've chosen for +/-2 is, on the easy side, a "magic trick" by your 6 years old son, and on the hard side, Caledor saving the World from Chaos.

So, -2 is eternal. -1 is a year. +2 is an instant, a 6 second wink.
What do you suggest for +0 & +1?

The way I am doing it, if more than two characteristics of a spell fall in-between like that, I allow one of them to be on the easier side.
Last edited by Calisson on Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I might tone it down a touch given our lowly status, I can't see a level one mage managing anything eternal, I would have thought that a year should be more like the upper limit of duration though that does make things harder for us. Then moving down the scale have a few days, a few hours, a few minuets and an isntant.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

About the difficulties of magic:
Don't try to soften the magic system too much.
Remember, the same scale will be used for Level 3.
Including opponents and NPC.

Today, you find that casting is difficult and risky.
Great! it means that my system is well designed to show the harsh life of a Level 1 rookie.
You will see some nice improvement with a Level 2. You'll love to be a Level 3, who can cast low level magic as he breathes and who can dare to cast the most potent spells.

@ all
I may propose you something about your first day's spell.

None of you took the option to cast the spell for your dedicated place only for the day or less, rather than for the week or more.
I don't know why. Maybe I did not understand your posts, or maybe you thought it was a requirement.

The requirement by Kaleth would be fulfilled in the same way if the spell was cast successfully for a day or even for a minute.
That would be easier to cast. Moreover, the side-effect would last much less than years.

Of course, you may wish to use the place another day.
If that is the case, then you will just need to dedicate it another time, before using it again.
That next time, you will have learned the "dedication" spell, so it will be easier to cast. And this will be, again, for a short duration, so, again, easier to cast and with menial side effects.

As Dalamar asked to find a better compromise, I'll propose that for him.
Anyone else would like the same?
In that case, I just make an "I" test to see if the Challenger changes his mind when he realizes that the task was a little bit too hard for him.
Last edited by Calisson on Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I had to, because detrimental effect is supposed to last for the duration of the spell... and a year and a day is a long time to keep throwing up.

1/10th of a week is much more bearable (that's 16 hours and 48 minutes)

I think we all cast the spell for longer than a day because we expect a future challenge to require using the place, or we intend to use it for some purpose later and having to re-consecrate it every day (especially if the initial casting ate up our most powerful ingredient) would make things rather difficult.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

@ Dalamar:
The initial casting was hard because you want it to last so long.
If you want to have the same spell cast for 6 minutes, it is +1 rather than -1 and you couldn't care less about the side effect.
In that case, you could spare a precious component and take a common one.

If you need the consecrated place the next day:
again, either you want it ready for 6 minutes, for a quick spell, or for 12 hours, i.e. the rest of the day. Not weeks.
So you will have to cast the same spell as you did the previous day.
Still, adjusting the time to your requirement, i.e. easier than what you posted in the game thread.
And benefitting from your previous experience: the spell will no longer be -2: totally new, as you have cast it already.
Let's say that the second time, it will be -1: spell known only in theory, and the 3rd time, +0: unusual spell. Before the end of the week, when yo uhave it cast 5 times, it is definitively +1: well known.
And for all these spells, the side effects will last really nothing worrisome.

Morality:
a level 1 is made to cast quick spells, not long lasting spells.
The solution is to cast them more often, for shorter durations.
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

Thanks, I now understand the detrimental side effects part better. :)

Like many of us, I did indeed try for a week's duration (or thereabouts) on the altar because I thought we'd need to use it a lot. I also thought we wouldn't be guaranteed getting more spell components/foci, so I hesitated to use all of mine up. Just a small insight into why I did things the way I did :)
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

*Waits with nervous anticipation to see whether he has made a Cauldron of Blood or simply a silly doodle on the side of a rusty pot*
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Syjahel wrote:Like many of us, I did indeed try for a week's duration (or thereabouts) on the altar because I thought we'd need to use it a lot.

Likewise, it seemed more sensible to expend a fair bit of power for something that would be a permanent boost for when we are able to use it. Obviously we don't know what the other tests are likely to be but having to re-consecrate a place every time would get tiresome and would eat into our time and resources when we should be focused on the task in hand.

Besides from a background point of view life is meant to last, if my vines withered after a day it would be more of a victory for Shyish really (albeit a very small one). Besides, she is home sick and this nasty little island doesn’t have nearly enough plants for her liking :) .
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Malus99
Scourge
Scourge

Post by Malus99 »

Victory to Shyish? You know you want it puny life mage! ;)

I too thought that I would need the consecrated place for the whole week so I can keep coming back to use it in aiding my spells, and seeing how I used one of my precious components to cast it in the first place I didn't want to have to cast it repeatedly, even if I did only cast the spell for a day or so that would still require a common component every time to cast it with reasonable confidence.

However, I did not realise that we would be levelling up much, are we likely to reach level 3? I thought the highest we could hope for would be Lv2s by the last few days, are we going to be levelling up quicker? In which case I think this scale should balance out nicely as things will be difficult for the first spell but things should get gradually easier and we can be more ambitious
Veni, Vidi, Voro!!!

All things perish, this is the law of existence, accept your suffering and your mortality, only by using this truth, can you transcend it.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Assuming that we build the consecrated place successfully, it sounds like we get a permanent +1 bonus for the rest of the week, which will bump a lot of our scores up. Similarly, when we're aiming to get important spells off, we can use our most important components, bumping the score up more.

I think there has to be a reasonable chance that any given spell will fail, otherwise we're not really using a variable magic system, just roleplaying as normal. Even if things go horribly pair-shaped and we fail to cast, we are still not automatically out of the game. You have to be consigned to the pit, and then lose in there was well. The odds are still not guaranteed against you.

With the side effects, I think it was explained earlier that we could later cast spells to mitigate the side effects away? E.g. if you were doomed to cough up blood for a year and a day, you could cast a spell to stop coughing the next day, solving the problem that way...

As I understand it, we will all be level 1s this week, but the point of the game is to test a general RPG system that can be used again for this game (for higher level mages), but also for RPGs more generally. So the comments about level 2s and level 3s having an easier time of it doesn't refer to our time here, but rather is a general commentary on the magic system as a whole.

Also, as we're guinea pigs, perhaps we should let a round or two play out and see how it all goes down before asking Calisson to adjust his pioneering system further (do I get my +1 bonus for sucking up now? :P).

Don't be a munchkin?

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Malus99 - Yes I think the idea was that we level up on the island at an incredible rate due to the magical tests we will endure (if we survive...)

Calisson said somewhere that we will progress to level 2 and then 3... perhaps we can even gain Secondary Magic Skills? :twisted:

Oh, and... Get a move on Cal, can't wait to see what happens next :lol:
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

@ Red & Drainial:
G. Location & timing.
+1: consecrated place (pentacle...); dedicated time
You need both place and time to get the +1.
Assuming you are on the said place...

If you're on a consacrated place but a normal day, you get only +1/2, i.e. +0 (but the next +1/2 could be more favourably rounded, and with a third +1/2 you get a certain +1).

- +1 bonus aye aye.

@ Kinslayer & Malus99
Yes, +1 level after a week, making the survivor a proud Level 2.
But this week is about hard - very hard - magic training.
And the cost is the souls of 7 other candidates...
No, no other skill.
However, you'll get goodies (Magic Item Day on Tuesday).

OK, back to my Mod's post ending Monday's day.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Ok, so if I understand correctly, one of our eight characters will finish the game as a level 2 and the others will all be dead?

Does that mean you will run a second TMRS show / week where that player can play again as a level 2 amongst new level 1s?

RPG Mods present: Are we okay with the suriving level 2 being put into the mains RPG's CC Pool - ready to join an existing group?

(I for one always take on more powerful, experienced players when I add to my group, as it would be unfair to have an 18 stat point player running about with my 20-25s)
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

@Calisson. Ah, I think I misunderstood: I thought the consecrated place was by itself a +1 bonus, independent of the sacred day. So that means we can only ever get the full +1 if we are standing at our sacred place, on our special day.

@Kinslayer: That's a great idea - I'd be sad to say goodbye to my character after a single week - he's grown on me :)

Don't be a munchkin?

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Red... wrote:@Kinslayer: That's a great idea - I'd be sad to say goodbye to my character after a single week - he's grown on me :)

Too bad I'll be the victor then :P
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Another question before we start messaging one another... Once a PM spell has been successfully cast and we have gained contact with another Mage, how many PMs can we send back and forth for the spells duration? I wouldn't have thought we would have to cast a spell for every part of the conversation, the way I see it casting the spell would open a magical link between the Mages' minds allowing them to converse freely without anyone else knowing, to a certain extent... Perhaps 3 messages each before you have to recast?
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

can we only talk via PM if we cast the telepathy spell? I was under the impression we had the option of simply talking subtly, or away from other contestants. Am I wrong?
Opus vos liberaverit
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Results of the first day.:D

@ all
Walking distances: rolled 1D3+1 for those who did not stay close to the village.
Direction was random except for Arhast (initially following Vaelreth).

@ smiler666.
I rolled a natural 4, just enough for you to cast – barely as you see – your spell. Compliments.
Sand + fire = glass.
The terrible side-effect for the next 10 years was severe aging; lucky you are, it shows only on your scalp (my decision).

@ Syjahel.
1st spell, as mentioned already, For the detrimental effect, I rolled 3. The smell of the seals disturbs your stomach, especially after the discovery of the stinking corpse of a seal.
Till the end of the week, because of the sea breeze which recalls you the seals, your stomach will allow only bread or rice. And there is no rice here.

2nd spell: rolled a 6 :D
The next roll was a 5, you avoided the miscast (that would have required another 6). Pshhh!
What’s that? Dread visions!
From now on, every day, you need to write what dread vision you had, somewhere in your post.
You are allowed to take inspiration from wiki/Hieronymus_Bosch or anything alike, if you wish.

@ Kinslayer
Rolled 6 for self-transformation when you needed 2! You get the four legs of the dragon, and the wings, too. However, you’re concentrated on the stamps so you don’t use the opportunity for a real first flight.
However… I rolled another 6, i.e. miscast… dragon aye aye (in French, “aie aie” means “ouch ouch”).
Ditto: Consider this part done. Only a miscast could happen wrong.
Result of the miscast: permanent loss of 1 point of Strength because of internal concussions during the crash. I still allow you to cast the next spell.
Alas, the first try for the consecration spell was a fail, but I spent the other tooth (with +1 added for retrying the spell) and you got an easy cast the second time.

@ Drainial
Double six… I ought to take another dice, more ordinary… Miscast was 1, loss of one WS.

@ Dalamar
“I” test to modify the spell: result was 1, i.e. the best for an “I” test (despite using still the same die).
Spell modified according to your wishes.
I modified the test. Duration: 6 minutes rather than 1 year, mundane component rather than unnatural, same bonus but no risk of bad side effect.
The detrimental effect was exhaustion for the same time as the spell, how appropriate to make an armchair!

@ Khel
1st spell OK. 2nd spell OK. 3rd spell, I rolled 2, but you had so many bonuses that it worked.
Detrimental was hallucinations. Please roleplay them at least once a “Day”.

@ Malus99
I test done, as in the OOC thread, you realized that a terrible side-effect for 10 years would not be a nice thing.
I replaced your spell with an easier spell, lasting 6 minutes, with a mere mundane component.
Rolled 6! Detrimental 2, pestilence for the same duration as the spell.

@ Red…
The first try was a fail, the second one was passed.
The first side effect is dread visions, please show it once a “Day” in your next posts.
The second side effect was softened up, thanks to +1 bonus for sucking up. Your character’s hearing will only be impaired: yelling seems normal voice, normal voice seems whispers, whispers are not audible. He’ll sleep well!

@ all
The process is really too long.
From now on, I will not anymore explain the results of dice rolls unless you ask for it.
I hope you enjoyed my fluffy relation of the day. Next time I probably will be shorter.

@ all
As you see, Level 1 should only cast short lasting spells...
Your dice rolls were lucky, I can tell you.

-=-=-

Kinslayer wrote:Ok, so if I understand correctly, one of our eight characters will finish the game as a level 2 and the others will all be dead?

Does that mean you will run a second TMRS show / week where that player can play again as a level 2 amongst new level 1s?
The loosing character of the day will be dead if he is killed by the other ones.
Otherwise, he just stays in the pit...
If you want him to survive (out of the game) and if the other players don't kill the character, I will roleplay with him what happens there, by PM.
Should be quick.

For the 2nd week, I intended, indeed, to have the survivor competing against a new row of 7 level 2s.
If anyone could volunteer to Mod that 2nd week, I'd like to play, myself! :D

Kinslayer wrote:Another question before we start messaging one another... Once a PM spell has been successfully cast and we have gained contact with another Mage, how many PMs can we send back and forth for the spells duration? I wouldn't have thought we would have to cast a spell for every part of the conversation, the way I see it casting the spell would open a magical link between the Mages' minds allowing them to converse freely without anyone else knowing, to a certain extent... Perhaps 3 messages each before you have to recast?
+2: lasting 6 seconds = 1 short PM; you can cast it several times.
+1: lasting 6 minutes = 2 PMs and 1 answer.
+0: lasting until midnight = unlimited PMs on both sides.

smiler666 wrote:can we only talk via PM if we cast the telepathy spell? I was under the impression we had the option of simply talking subtly, or away from other contestants. Am I wrong?
1 PM only. If more, make it public knowledge.
Last edited by Calisson on Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Calisson wrote:For the 2nd week, I intended, indeed, to have the survivor competing against a new row of 7 level 2s.
If anyone could volunteer to Mod that 2nd week, I'd like to play, myself! :D

I'm sure I would be willing to give it a shot mate. Thanks for the answers.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Kinslayer wrote:Too bad I'll be the victor then :P
Belay his last:
Kinslayer wrote:
Calisson wrote:If anyone could volunteer to Mod that 2nd week, I'd like to play, myself!
I'm sure I would be willing to give it a shot mate.
You're entitled to have your character killed by Kurnous himself before the last day of the challenge! :D