Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

SAU 19 Signup & OOC

Post by Tarbo »

Hail and hello, fellow underlings!

Two years? Has it been this long? It has been this long!

To celebrate Druchii.net's shiny new software, I'm reviving our long-standing tradition of intrigue and rhetoric, of unlikely and spectacular demises, of pink lightning and burning Torches for heresy: the SAU.

If you'd like to participate, leave a post in this thread saying so. If you have any questions about the game, its mechanics, or anything related that comes to mind, this thread is also the place to do so.

We should be able to accommodate more than 10 players, so come one, come all!

Current player list (players will be listed here as they sign up)
  1. Meteor
  2. Calisson
  3. Lordanubis
  4. Deroth
  5. Belial
  6. Drainial
  7. Telrunya
  8. Nelmeer
  9. Sleekdd

The story so far

In an effort to cut costs and improve administrative throughput, the city council has created the 'administration tower,' a complex that supplies both housing and work areas for the city's administrative personnel. After several months, strange accidents lead to suspicious deaths, and an extra topic is set on the daily meeting agenda: who or what is causing these deaths, and who should be sent to follow extra courses on process management and workplace safety?

What is a SAU?

SAU stands for Slaanesh Amongst Us. The name hails from the early days of SAU on Druchii.net, where Slaaneshi had infiltrated a group of Khainist Druchii and had to be rooted out. While the protagonists and villains change with every session, the fundamental concepts remain the same.

The game is about a number of players amongst whom are incognito infiltrators. Each Day, all players can vote by majority to execute one of their fellows in hopes of in fact catching an infiltrator. Each Night, the infiltrators get to kill one of the loyalists. The loyalists win when all infiltrators are caught and eliminated. The infiltrators win when they equal or outnumber the loyalists.

If you want a better idea of what a SAU is like, feel free to peruse any of the earlier ones I've hosted:

What are the requirements to join?

You should have enough of a grasp of English to be able to understand full phrases and prose. How well you write is less important, though your fellow players will thank you if you can occasionally use punctuation. ;)

You should be able to keep track of the game at least once every two days, and preferably daily. To keep the game flowing along at a steady pace, there are deadlines to every game phase. Typically, these phases are about 72 hours (3 days) in length. Experience teaches that phases longer than this tends to get the game 'stuck' and, because of the forum-nature of these games, SAUs are notoriously difficult to 'unstuck'.

How does the game work?

There are three main alternating phases to the game: the Morning phase, Evening phase, and Night phase. To set the phases apart from actual times in the short stories, phases always carry an initial capital letter: Morning, Evening, Night. After Morning comes Evening, then Night, and then Morning again.

The Morning and Evening phases are when all players convene and decide who, if anyone, to vote. Conversely, the Night phase gives infiltrators a chance to kill a loyalist.

-- The Morning phase --
Morning comes when Night ends, and is the phase where all players gather again to discuss. Everyone is required to post at least once in the Morning phase; players that have not posted by the time Morning ends are removed from the game.

Voting is possible during Morning, but execution is not. Votes made during Morning carry over to Evening, possibly leading to an execution.

-- The Evening phase --
When Morning ends, Evening sets in. During the Evening, posting is not required, but is still encouraged.

A majority vote leads to an immediate execution during Evening. When a player is removed through voting or when the deadline is reached, Evening ends, and players retreat for the Night.

-- The Night phase --
Night starts as soon as Evening ends. The Night phase is when people with special abilities may choose how to use them; more importantly, it is when the infiltrators decide on and perform their kill, removing a loyalist from the game.

Infiltrators, and other players with the explicit ability to do so, may use the Night to communicate covertly with their allies. No other players may contact each other regarding the SAU.

When Night ends, Morning starts.

The game starts at Morning.

When do we start?

When we have enough players. :) But don't worry, we usually wait a few more days to give latecomers a chance to sign up before we kick off.

How long does this game take?

The game typically lasts about a month, a month-and-a-half. If you're going on holidays, conventions, or congress for more than a few days in the next two months, you should probably sit this one out. (There'll be other games.)
Meteor
Executioner

Re: SAU 19 Signup: On the Brink of Madministration

Post by Meteor »

!!! SAU! Never expected it, what a pleasant surprise! haha. Count me in, hopefully I can last more than the first day this time :roll:
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

An administration tower? I must get there. Yeah, power, more power...
In which universe is it suppose to happen? In Nagg, or on Earth?

Two years, that is if you set apart your own magistrally executed replacement at the head of "The Makers of Chains". What a plot it was!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Lordanubis
Dark Rider

Post by Lordanubis »

A Tarbo SAU? I'm very glad I saw this - please count me in.
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

That's three people already. Nice!

Calisson wrote:In which universe is it suppose to happen? In Nagg, or on Earth?

Naggaroth is a backdrop, really. As in, yeah, there are elves and sorceresses and stuff, and the king is Malekith, and Nauglir love frog legs and chicken, and dragons have hay fever.
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

SAU! Fantastic :D Sadly my internet has been too unreliable of late for me to commit to play, but I'm really happy to see another one! I shall be reading along.

Meteor, I'll expect you to keep the Group 28 flag flying! :P
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Should I turn this place into a weird circus too? xD

Jacks -Shade

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

No, if I remember my SAUs Tarbo is more than capable of making his own weird circus :D
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

I live in Belgium.

All your circus are belong to me.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Oh true, we're in safe hands then

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

Mate I am keen as a bean. Came back when I saw the PM and I must say I'm liking the new look :D
If I had a knife I would shoot you
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Oh my stars and garters it's been a long time since I was last on these boards. But I had to come back, didn't I? A SAU?

Count me in!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Yeah! Belial! Sooo long time. Welcome back buddy! :D
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Ooh, that's five people already. Looking at the member list is bringing back fond, fond memories. Memories of jetpacks, catacombs, hand grenades, murderous elevators, ADD dinosaurs, and lunch box races.

A fellow could have a good time in Vegas with just those memories.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Tarbo is running an SAU, of course I want in. I don't have quite the free time I did when last we had one (two years? Really?) but I am allways ready to root out the killers (even when I am one)
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Telrunya
Shade

Post by Telrunya »

Oooh, another SAU. I'd love to be in!
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

I love letting people into the game. Boom, you're in.

Boom. Boom.
Nelmeer
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Nelmeer »

Will join.

Will unscrupulously fulminate the sycophantic vermin.

...Will join.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Ooo, fresh meat, sorry I mean a new player...
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Fresh victims for the ever growing army of SAU veterans...

Welcome on the board, Nelmeer, and welcome to the SAU!
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Hmm... I suppose we could run a game with only eight players, but it's going to be a rather short one.

I feel a game should have at least two infiltrators, because the game could otherwise end in a single day, and because finding a lone wolf is amazingly difficult.

But two infiltrators immediately pits us in six-to-two, potentially ending the game in two days, not counting inactivity kills. Perhaps two infiltrators and a wealth of protection abilities would work?

:idea: Having nine or ten players would really help this SAU. Nudge nudge, wink wink.
Sleekdd
Highborn
Location: Belgium, the only country where surrealism is a way of life.

Post by Sleekdd »

I'll join up.

And may I use this opportunity to propose a new system to vote?

I propose to start a committee, chaired by myself, of course. I will then democratically co-opt two other members (okay, it's not really democratic but it sells easier if I say it is) who will then review each vote cast. - By the way, voting will be done using form 276.C/Vote/not_me_V1.8.
Any vote reviewed will either pass with this committee (henceforth called the real truth-committee) or be declined at which point the voter will see his voting rights scrutinzed and will be volunteered to participate in team building exercises.

Memo: voting for the chair of the real truth-committee will result in automatic volunteering for said team building exercises.

...I'm so going to get voted off the instant this game starts. :P
Great minds think alike.
So if you want diversity, try morons.
Nelmeer
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Nelmeer »

Yay, Sleek! You have walked in like a jedi wizard superstar and hauled us out of our despondent state! Someone bake that boy a white cake. Someone give him a GameStop gift coupon. Someone name a Mars crater after him. (Overselling it...?)

Yay! :D
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

*looks at SleekDD's post, then location* Comrade.

Nine people means I'll work up an opening post to kick off the game. The signup will remain open until the game has started.

The story we are about to present may shock sensitive readers. If you have an inner child, we recommend you have it leave the room.
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Re: SAU 19 Signup & OOC

Post by Tarbo »

And the game is afoot! This thread is now used for general information. If you have questions about the rules of the game, post them up here, or send me a private message; you wouldn't want to accidentally give away your identity. :killed:

If you haven't received a message from me, this means you are an 'ordinary' player.

Because we number very few players for this SAU, I have taken the liberty of introducing an additional rule, namely in passing down abilities to other players upon untimely death:

When a protector is killed by the infiltrators at Night, his or her abilities will be passed on to another, randomly chosen (innocent) player, meaning that lucky strikes from the infiltrator team will no longer cause the good guys to lose their protective abilities. ;) This is an experimental rule, however, and one I may (need to) change.

There is also no opportunity kill rule, at least not for this first Day. Again, something I will need to keep an eye on. (Opportunity killing is a rule allowing the infiltrators to strike twice at Night if no-one was voted off the Day before.)

Good luck, and make us proud!