Logo
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:25 pm



Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Group 41 
Author Message
Assassin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:53 am
Posts: 594
Caraoc was staying unwilling to hone his close combat prowess. Did he really think he would never need to fight at close range? Or maybe he failed to understand she was not seeking to show off. Instead the corsair grimaced smugly and aimed his handbow. Analya contented herself with evading one of the bolts and deflecting the other with her rapier. It was hard to tell if she really was fast enough to escape the shots, she could easily state it while Caraoc decided to say the contrary. He proclaimed his invulnerability with an overconfidence that usually meant either a very seasoned veteran or a very swift death. Analya raised her eyebrows in disapproval.

“I still don't understand how can you be so unshakably certain you will never get surprised with your handbow unloaded or with too little time to shoot it,” she responded after he finished his explanations. Then she shrugged and sheathed her rapier. “But I suppose it is not me who should know it. I will assume you are absolutely useless in close combat but able to survive meeting any enemy. Should you ever decide you could use a few brawling tricks after all, I will be happy to help, as will the others, I believe.”

Having said that she turned to the pair that was practicing at the moment and concentrated all her attention on their skill, trying to understand as much about them as possible.

Conversation.

-----------------------------

Analya Durekhar (female shade)

WS 5 S3 T3 D4 I4
skills: acrobatics, unarmed combat, Sariya fencing (1)
equipment: 2x rapier (one good, one average), short bow, parrying dagger
junk: 10 gold + 214 share, pack of immodest cards

_________________
The Lost Colony defenders - Rowena's painting log

Alternative Armies - because we can build any army without GW!


Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:43 am
Profile
Malekith's Personal Guard
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:19 pm
Posts: 910
Location: Dublin, Ireland

After delivering his results of the translation the captain stood sweeping his eyes across the deck. Experience let him view the mood of his Corsairs to a fine degree but the mercenaries where a different matter entirely. When Ladry spoke up, almost to command him to teach her he merely smiled but before he could have her cut open Analya interjected.

"Who ever said the cargo was a person? I said it was owned by someone of importance. I'd hardly alter course just to pick up one more slave, no matter how important that slave thinks he or she is." Shaking his head at the naive question he continued. "We know the cargo is being kept in a village on the coast. Obviously one which could handle a large enough ship. That means it will probably have a militia of some kind and likely the cargo will have some professional troops guarding it. All this means the raid itself will be rather difficult unless they are total idiots. We'll find out when we get there." Seeing no other questions and the meeting on the deck breaking up the captain moved off to oversee the running of the ship.

--------------

Searinox walked up to a nearby Corsair and struck up a conversation. At first there was something of a confused expression on the corsairs face before his eyes lit up in realization. "It wasn't anything we set out to do as a group to be honest. It's just as you go about raiding vessels for any length of time you realise that the less you kill the more money you make. Then comes the next problem, it's much harder to disarm someone without killing them then it is by killing them so we just wait for someone else to show up and smack them in the back of the head. There's a certain amount of wastage at the start of course and often well trained soldiers just have to be killed, but you lot ill pick up the knack quickly enough." Nodding he continued to work exchanging some other meaningless chat.

-------------------

Later that day the mercenaries gathered on the foredeck of the ship for a bit of druchii style team building. They where careful to ensure it seemed like a gathering of bored sellswords looking to entertain themselves. Judging by the lack of interest from the crew they succeeded. As with any good druchii plotting or discussion they sat around comfortably rather then obviously trying to remain unheard. Darven spoke up in the meeting to pass on his somewhat greater experience at raiding while Polibastious nodded grimly to punctuate his words. "What you all have to understand is that we are a resource with one function to the good captain. We can fight, but for the most part we cant run a ship. His corsairs can do both so they are more valuable. Likewise they have all proven themselves to him, we haven't. Now, don't worry about him offing us at the end of the journey, word like that gets around so most captains wont risk it." At this point Polibastious interjected. "Of course that doesn't mean he'll try too hard to save us either." To which Darvin nodded grimly before continuing. "As for his not joining the slaughter. A captain is more valuable directing the fight from the deck of his ship then he is neck deep in blood. While we fight the ships are still moving and if ignored could lead to our death. Don't judge his metal on where he stands during blood letting."

Smiling though, the two other mercenaries sat back and watched the sparring. Neither of them was particularly interested in joining in but they admitted it had the desired effect. Though the corsairs didn't exactly seem all that enthused they did look with a certain amount of interest and respect as the sparring went on. Though one or two jeering calls came out when Ladry almost started a fire.

------------------

It was approaching dusk almost two weeks later when they came in sight of land, or rather sight of the piece of land they where looking for. It had been slightly touch and go as they had to sail far out of sight of shore most of the time to prevent warning passing up the coastal villages. The harbor of the village was nestled between two imposing headlands both of which blasted clear of vegetation by the fierce sea winds and the storms which broke over it. In order to stay out of sight the captain dropped anchor in a small bay a few miles south of the village. The chance of discovery was small.

Down on the deck the gather mercenaries where surprised when the first officer walked over to them. "The village is about four miles north of here. The captain says, and I quote, let the new guys lead this one. I'll be coming with you to make sure you don't royally mess up along with fifteen corsairs but you lot can make the plan and I'll try not laugh too hard when you do something stupid. When we have the village we can signal the captain to bring the ship into the harbor."

Sorry if i missed anything but so many character posts. Most of the corsairs are with you though a handful remain to pilot the ship.

_________________
Group 28- Name: Cananatra; Warrior; Follower of Slaanesh
WS:4 S:4 T:5 D:4 I:3
Equipment: MC Long sword, Throwing Axe, Dagger, Heavy Armour, Slaanesh Amulet, Dalvian Hunting Horn, Rations x 7, Null stone x 1, 525 Gold, Dark Steed, Blackpowder Pistol [18/18]
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Ride, Endurance


Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:43 pm
Profile
Corsair
Corsair
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:00 pm
Posts: 8688
Location: Hag Graef
The second part of the journey had enjoyed an improved atmosphere.
Sure, the human ship had not really been a treat, but seeing action together had served to lower the mistrust between the newcomers and the rest of the crew.
More importantly, the ship had now a goal. Nothing beats a common fate to forge a crew spirit, and having an important mission to achieve in the coming days did help to have such an impact.
Still, the mercenaries had not really proven their worth yet, not only in front of their employer, but also among themselves.

-=-=-

And time arrived for the group of mercenaries to show that they were hired for a good reason.
Through the first officer's voice, the captain asked the mercenaries to lead the raid. That was a real clever mark of leadership from his side.
They were given some authority, and the means to carry out a mission. But what was the mission exactly?
There was something to get from the village. Obviously, the first officer would know, and would not tell.
Picking up that thing was the most important part of the mission. However, nothing had been said about how the village inhabitants had to be dealt with.

Caraoc asked:
"I assume we are to make sure no human survives free to tell what happened to whatever they have in their custody.
Some of them are fishermen and have fishing vessels. Is the "Hungry Gaze" going to intercept them?"


Asking clarification.

"Every human that escapes is one less slave. However don't concern yourself overly by them getting away. Even if they sailed straight to the nearest naval base to start a pursuit we'd be days ahead of them on an unknown course. They'd never catch us."

_________________
Caraoc the scald pilot - WS3 S4 T3 D5 I5 - A saga or it didn't happen!
Equipment: staff, repeater handbow (20 clips), Sea Dragon Cloak, cutlass
Inventory: "Beastbane" Horn, sunstone, sextant and set of navigational instruments; 20 gold + share.
Skills: Power of Azyr (2), Evasion, Raiding
Class: Mage (Astromancer)

_________________
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}


Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:53 pm
Profile
Malekith's Best Friend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:46 pm
Posts: 1177
Location: The Depths of Despair
Ladry left the mercenary gathering that evening in remarkably good spirits, compared to her usual mood. She had largely been succesfull in her attempt at teaming up the mercenaries, which meant better teamwork, which in the end could save her own life. And the others too, probably. The days went back to the usual sailing routine, but now mixed with sparring with the other mercenaries, and while Ladry did try to mingle with the corsairs a little more, she was mostly met with requests to get a fire going under the cookpot. Although it did seem that her little loss of control the other day had made an impression - so no reason to let the corsairs know it was an accident!

____

Soon, the ship lay anchored in a small bay. Their target was an hour and a half worth of walking distance away, she judged, when the first officer came to inform them that the mercenaries would be leading this one from the land. Prudent choice to approach the village from land rather than coast. They would see us from miles away. I suggest we move closer to the village under cover of darkness, and once we're close but out of earshot, we can more easily gauge the best route of approach.
Ladry looked around on each of the other mercenaries, in turn, as she spoke. We have the element of surprise. The more mouths we can silence before the word gets out, the better our position. Kill the figthers, assemble the smallfolk. Escapees will be hard to prevent, but they are not such a worry as long as they are on foot, they will take days to reach help. As such, we must take control of the stables, if there is one.

Ladry suggests moving closer to the village before deciding a final tactic, but does suggest swiftly taking out any soldiers, and also take control of the enemy stables.

_________________
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.


Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:31 pm
Profile
Trainee Warrior
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:45 am
Posts: 44
After the meeting of the Mercenaries paithan had made a much more concerted effort to be more aimiable with his compatriots and the crew as a whole. his isolationist attitude is gone and although he can still seem insular or taciturn he still tries to be more friendly and spends time dicing with the crew though it appears he drinks naught but water when he can and doesnt touch any hard drink only having wine when he must drink or die of thirst.

apart from his somewhat awkward attempts to socialise with the crew as a whole he spends most of his time at the forge finding a real solace in the working of metal it seems and it isnt long in the subsequent days that he has done the repairs to the weapons he was asked. searinox having his blade hilt straightened was not a particularly difficult task. but lightening the blade for ladry was a lot more complicated but he made do by hammering and folding the metal the end result being a slight longer more slender blade sharpened only along one edge with the backing thicker to create weight and a slight curve to the blade. this is a little reminiscent of a Druchii cavalry sword but it is not as high a quality as he was working with what he had rather than from scratch. this did allow him to spend time with ladry however as working it to her hand and a weight that she can weild effectively took time.

after his forge work was done for the day he tried to spend as much time with analaya as possible as he is to be paired with her in the pairing fighters scheme. his strength against her speed made for some interesting sparring which the slower stronger paithan lost due mainly to the lack of being able to maim or hobble the faster fighter in friendly sparring.

----------

marching towards the village in full armour paithan looks in his element. staying where he is told as he is hardly the most stealthy of the group he lets his eyes scan the horizon as he has done for years. ah to be soldiering again. marching to battle on foot on land...heaven must be like this

listening and staying silent as ladry makies her suggestions he kneels to reduce his bulk and target before moving off with the group.

paithan spends the time travelling getting to know the crew and mercenaries in a way he hadnt before and doing the odd jobs at the forge he was asked to. he spends time sparring and losing to his partner analaya getting used to her speed and fighting style. when on the way to the village he plays the dutiful soldier listening to the more experienced raiders advice and tries not to get in the way and give the game away before the attack.

_________________
Name: paithan darkshadow
Sex: male
Age: 174
Height: 6ft1
Weight: 245 lbs
Class:khainite
Statistics: weapon skill 5 strength 3 Toughness 4 dexterity 3 Intelligence 4
Equipment: draich, Medium armour
Skills: endurance, smithing


Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:33 pm
Profile
Aspiring Brush Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:19 pm
Posts: 680
Location: In my Armory, protecting my Weed.
After the meeting had ended Searinox greeted everyone and turned in for the night. The next day he went to Paithan to rework his new short sword, by curving the blade into a single edge and straightening the hilt for elven hands it became a lot more familiar in Searinox's hands. the next few weeks was spend with sparring with the other mercenaries to get a feel for his new blade and mingling with the crew, trying his best to assist in the sailing of the ship when they would allow him.

---

As Ladry finished talking Searinox gave his thoughts, "I agree, during the cover of night the most nimble of us could get in a bit closer to scout out the surroundings to look for the stables and maybe any other structures that need neutralization, like maybe an armoury if there is one." He then looked at the setting sun. "Then just before dawn we could launch our attack, surprising them just before they wake up." Then it struck him, he's raiding with a different crew now, a few years back when his House still stood, all raids took place during the dawn since this is when the Winds of Ulgu are strong allowing the House's Sorceresses to summon vast fields of mist to conceal their approach. Obviously this group isn't used to this tactic so it might be better to simple attack in the dead of night. Before anyone could question what he said he continued talking.

Searinox asks:
"How will we be signalling the captain to come pick us up? And I take it you and a few of the corsairs will take care of the item we are picking up so the rest of us can focus on exterminating any threats?"

giving his suggestions for the raid, pointing out other targets then the stable
asking a few questions

_________________
PLOG - The House of Corvus
Image

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth


Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:53 am
Profile
Corsair
Corsair
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:00 pm
Posts: 8688
Location: Hag Graef
The consensus was to attack at dawn. Classic but no reason it would not be efficient.
The First Officer Incareth Aez had specified that no particular care was to prevent 100% of the humans to flee.
Still, that was not sufficient, as Searinox understood, too: "I take it you and a few of the corsairs will take care of the item we are picking up so the rest of us can focus on exterminating any threats?"

Caraoc added:
"That sounds the plan, but if that item is light enough for Incareth to bring it back to the ship, it will be light enough for a human to escape with.
We have no mount, no vehicle. The humans may have horses, or fishing craft, we don't. That could fail the mission.

I suggest we started by observing closely the village.
Boats should not be difficult to sabotage, and that could be done by a single elf with a dagger.
Horses in open stalls should not be difficult to control.
If there is a local landlord, he might have an indoor stable, and he might well be the one with the valuable item. In that case, we will see a richer house and that will be where we need to concentrate, making sure he cannot escape."


Planning.

_________________
Caraoc the scald pilot - WS3 S4 T3 D5 I5 - A saga or it didn't happen!
Equipment: staff, repeater handbow (20 clips), Sea Dragon Cloak, cutlass
Inventory: "Beastbane" Horn, sunstone, sextant and set of navigational instruments; 20 gold + share.
Skills: Power of Azyr (2), Evasion, Raiding
Class: Mage (Astromancer)

_________________
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}


Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:53 pm
Profile
Assassin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:53 am
Posts: 594
They were all hopeless. The stupid muscular mercenaries were thinking their disparate group could work like elite troops without any training. Stupid Caraoc was insisting no close combat could ever reach him. Stupid Ladry was convinced she managed to get the group together despite her only deed was finishing dinner first and repeating Analya's words and despite there was not much cohesion to speak about anyway. Paithan and Dolan were stupid, too, but they were at least willing to admit that.

And the most stupid of them was Analya herself, of course, for believing for a while this journey might not end with a disaster.

Now their group was asked to devise a plan. Unsurprisingly, Ladry considered it necessary to speak out what everyone knew already, Searinox started to drown in details and only Caraoc was actually using his head.

“We can hardly plan something knowing so little,”
she remarked and turned to the first officer.

“First it would be nice to know how far away the nearest town or castle is. Escapees in fishing boats are not the only ones who could plead for help.

Then, as Caraoc correctly mentioned, we could use more information about the mysterious thing we are to acquire. Is it heavy? Fragile? Can we assume where it is stored? Why is it in such a remote village, anyway? I do not expect you can answer all of these questions but I would be very surprised if there was absolutely nothing to deduce from the documents we salvaged.”


Analya looked at Incareth without much faith. Stupid first officer who does not tell them anything.

“And while dispatching some foes silently instead of running into the village with mighty roar and challenging them for a fair battle is a remarkably brilliant idea,” she continued, “I am not sure how many of us can break into houses and cut throats silently enough. Actually, I am not even sure how many of us could serve as reliable scouts, at least. For myself I think I would probably do a decent job given that they do not expect us but I am far below any army's standards and could ruin the mission easily. Is there someone with at least some proficiency in scouting, stealing and assassinating on this ship?”

She looked around and back at the corsair. “I won't suggest anything until questions such as mine are answered,” she ended. They would probably not listen, anyway.

Questions. Analya is in bad mood.

-----------------------------

Analya Durekhar (female shade)

WS 5 S3 T3 D4 I4
skills: acrobatics, unarmed combat, Sariya fencing (1)
equipment: 2x rapier (one good, one average), short bow, parrying dagger
junk: 10 gold + 214 share, pack of immodest cards

_________________
The Lost Colony defenders - Rowena's painting log

Alternative Armies - because we can build any army without GW!


Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:27 pm
Profile
Aspiring Brush Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:19 pm
Posts: 680
Location: In my Armory, protecting my Weed.
As the planning went on Searinox nodded at Caroac's agreeing with the points he raised. But to know all of this would require more information on the town. So atleast some scouting had to be done, even if just from a distance. He then had to listen to Analya's rant, who seemed to be losing faith in the whole endeavour with each passing moment. 'She's certainly in a fine mood this day.'

"I have some experience on the matter of scouting," Searinox turned to face Analya "And it's not about sneaking into houses and slitting throats. It's scouting what we would be doing, not assassinating. We'd be looking at points of interest to take out, stables to keep messengers from getting away, armouries to keep the resistance we face weak and most importantly," He turned his attention to Incareth. "Where this item we are picking up might be stored. So if we decide to go scouting first I will need to have more information."

planning, asking more questions, waiting on more information

_________________
PLOG - The House of Corvus
Image

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth


Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:53 pm
Profile
Beastmaster

Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Posts: 360
Location: Dundee
The dueling was a fair sport. More to pass the time than to gain much in the way of knowledge in fighting really, and Dolan enjoyed it as he should. With jest and thrust they practiced their various styles of combat. In the end, both enjoyed the bit of exercise and pass-time. Dolan duly followed it up with the appropriate drink and games.

---------------------------

The ships captain and firstmate had informed them that they were nearing their prime target. A small village lay nearby and the person or thing of interest was nearby. Once they were dismissed Dolan left to go prepare himself. He polished his armor and oiled the leather bindings. He sharpened his glaive to a nice sheen and jested something or other to those nearby about how pretty it was in his reflection. Lastly, he considered the two shields he had. Using some minor adjustments and spare strapped he attached the roung viking shield to his backplate. He chuckled at the sight, it reminded him of some of the creatures spoken of in warmer climates that had a rock hard shell. Of course, looking funny never bothered Dolan. He was always the first to laugh at himself anyways. Functionality was key and with this, his back would be protected from backstabbing cowards.

--------------------------------

The raiding party gathered and began to discuss various strategem. Scouting was a must, to this Dolan agreed. He, however, knew this to be the job of the lithe and inconspicuous, both of which he was not. I agree. You lads should get the info we need from scouting. From there we can engage in the best manner possible. I doubt we're here to slaughter the entire town, though I know everyone here would very much like that. It might be possible to be in and out quickly to get what we need. We'll know more once we see what we're dealing with and can make a more precise plan then.

Adjusting and prepping his equipment, placing the roundshield on his backplate. Adding his two cents to the plan

_________________
Cade Thanal (TN: Gaelus Stormscythe) (Group 38 warrior)
WS3 S4 T3 D4 I5
Equipment: Light Armor, Short Sword, Repeating Handbow (9/10), Helmet, Asur Short Sword, High elf Mage-prince pelt, Lion pelt cloak, Sword belt with gold buckle and sapphire, 10 gold
Skills: Disguise

Dolan Steelshorn
WS4 S5 T5 D3 I2
Equipment: Glaive, medium armor, shield
Skills: Endurance

Taldein, the Draich'Arha (CC Thread)
WS4 S3 T4 D3 I4
Equipment: Draich (EP4), Helmet (EP1), Pendant
Skills: Power of Ulgu (1)


Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:52 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software