Group 42 - Chapter 1: The Prisoner

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Group 42 - Prologue: Mysteries of the coast

Post by Calisson »

So the only thing the four noblemen wanted to know was that the former owner of my book was a corpse puppeteer?
Mmm... I'm wondering if I could revive a hand from our deceased hero, Paithan?

The scald looked around, but in the muddy night it was hopeless to find a hand, which anyway might have belonged to someone else.

Anyway there was a call for the loot to be brought back to ships.
Despite being a mercenary, the scald felt he was still a corsair and gave some help to the crew, respecting fully the seamen's etiquette about how to carry the bounty.
The exitement of the battle was gone, the drizzle was becoming annoying, the sooner onboard, the better.

Helping to carry the bounty onboard
Skills: Power of Azyr (2) Power of Ghur (1), Evasion, Raiding
Class: Mage (Astromancer)
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

As the commanders parted ways and the corsairs from both crews started gathering loot. Caraoc finally put enough distance between himself, Hereny and his men that Searinox felt comfortable enough to present him with a little 'gift'. Grabbing the satchel he had looted he signed the others that he was going to help looting and them made his way towards Caraoc.

Once he reached him, Searinox started picking up loot to be taken to the Hungry Gaze and start a little 'friendly' banter with Caraoc while he was at it.
"By the way Caraoc, I think I might have found something to your liking... Though I don't know if the rest of the crew would like it as much." laughing a bit as his own joke, Searinox pulled out the Lyre from the satchel and handed it to Caraoc.
"It'll see more use in your hands then mine I'm guessing."
Then it was time for him to ask what really interested him, with a quick glance to see if the higher-ups where out of earshot Searinox continued. "So... anything interesting the higher-ups called you in for?"
It was in his nature to be curious, so he couldn't help but ask to see if he could get any tidbits of information out of his fellow mercenary.

Handing Caraoc the Lyre as a sign of good will and maybe to entice him in sharing some information.
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Another mercenary came to help the corsairs to carry the loot - or so it seemed.
Searinox closed to Caraoc and presented him a lyre that he had found and for which he had little use.
"I might have found something to your liking... It'll see more use in your hands then mine I'm guessing."
In the dark, the scald could feel the the instrument was not broken. Would it play? It had five strings only.
The musician resonated each string, one at a time. Strange, strange harmony, these Humans were so loutish.
But probably with some tuning, it could be used for a real Elven saga, as each individual string had a pleasant sound, only together were them disharmonious.
Before doing anything, the wood had to be dried anyway.
"Good finding, it will inspire me", thanked Caraoc.

Oddly, no corsair had remained in vicinity of the scald holding his new toy with an illuminated smile. Just as if they had learned the hard way to keep some distance. But it did not bother Caraoc.
As there was only the group of mercenaries left in close vicinity, Searinox added: . "So... anything interesting the higher-ups called you in for?"
That was a fair question, and by accepting the lyre Caraoc had committed to either reply honestly, or else give back the gift.

Caraoc answered:
"I'm convinced that our two ships did not meet here by chance.
The impulsive rapier girl known as Analya Durekhar, who we once thought to be a mercenary like us, is the real boss and gives orders. She has found a letter with human writings.
The other noble lady, Shyamal of House Mazier, a dark sorceress, looks distant but in reality she knows an awful lot about why we are here. She does not tell much but knew beforehand the nature of the booty we made in the village the other day.
Our First Officer, Incareth Aez, is clueless and out of the loop. He didn't even know he had onboard the Hungry Gaze such a leader as Analya. He seems to accept her.
Hereny of House Mazier, captain of The Tempestous, obviously knows Analya and accepts whatever she says. He looks mostly indifferent or even uneasy. He seems not to understand much either about what is going on.

In few words, the ladies know a lot, the captains know nothing except to do what the ladies say.

We are tracking Hildebrand von Trotzenau, a heretic margrave with links to magic and forbidden magic, able to raise the dead.
He is not loved by Humans but seems powerful.
That's all I came to know or guess."

Sharing all information with all mercenaries.
+1 lyre
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

As Ladry was leaning on a tree, still tired from the vast streams of raw energy that had been flowing through her not long ago, a familiar voice demanded her attention. Looking up, she saw Iscar, seemingly untouched by the recent fight, with his usual cheeky smile upon his lips. He seemed in a rather good mood.

“That burning head was ace,” he complimented the fire sorceress. “So much detail! But tell me, was it really old Ladal? How have you come to the idea to conjure him from all the elves?” There was no threat in his words; he seemed just a curious man stopping for a friendly chatter. “He surely seemed to enjoy what he was doing.”

Analya listened to Gilvaad's response with a frowned face but she seemed not without approval.

“Well, discreetness of this kind is something I can appreciate but it makes it difficult to decide if you really are fit for the work. Have you really never participated on any mission that would not require this kind of secrecy?”

Then she began explaining the terms as asked. “My intent is to transfer you from the service on the Tempestous to the Hungry Gaze. As far as I understand, you are now a mercenary in an auxiliary role who will not be trusted with the most delicate tasks that would yield the highest reward. Furthermore, with regards to your carier you can hardly hope for more than a permanent position among the crew. I can pay more and provide better hopes for the future as well. There are several elves on board with unique talents and you would fully cooperate with them. And what is also important, you will only be bounded to silence for five years; after that you will be free to refer to this action while negotiating futher employment, provided you leave out the few sensitive details that could harm my cause. We can discuss what precisely do I mean later. Finally, it is not yet clear if this mission is actually happening as it is dependant on the response from the corsairs from the Hungry Gaze. I expect them to accept eventually, though.”

Iscar asks Ladry about the burning head. He seems not to understand her connection to Ladal.
Gilvaad is asked to brag about his acomplishments. :)
In general, nothing of this should stress you too much.
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

"Figures she's some highborne..." Searinox replied "That attitude is not something a mercenary would flaunt with."
The noble in hiding knew it all to well as he himself was part of that circle not to many years ago.
"It does worry me though that that sorceress wench knew so much about that book of yours. Even more so that those women seem to be in control of the whole situation."
Searinox looked down and muttered to himself 'Why must all the women I meet be so troublesome.'

Scratching his head he raised his attention to the other mercenaries seeing if they had any other input.

conversing

Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Ladry had been leaning towards the trunk of a nearby tree for several minutes trying to regain her posture. After making sure she was okay, the others had left her alone to recuperate. The exhaustion she had just experienced seemed unreal still, and soon she shivered from the cold; there was not much energy left in her to keep her warm. Better give it a few more minutes she mused, then finally raised herself and summoned the smallest of embers to warm herself once again. In effect, she sucked in whatever warmth was in the air immediately around her, now appearing to radiate cold.

Suddenly, Iscar appeared. “That burning head was ace,” he complimented her. “So much detail! But tell me, was it really old Ladal? How have you come to the idea to conjure him from all the elves?” There was no threat in his words; he seemed just a curious man stopping for a friendly chatter. “He surely seemed to enjoy what he was doing.”

Ladry grimaced briefly and took a few trial steps away from the tree. She pondered how much she could really tell this man, but decided from his tone of voice that he had no hostile business here. "Well. If ever I knew an elf who enjoyed the suffering of others, my father was always that one" she replied to him before excusing herself.

Deftly she strode toward the other mercenaries just in time to hear Caraoc reveal the most recent developments. So, another magic wielder has appeared... With what just happened, there is very little point in trying to hide I guess. "The ladies know a lot you say? I wish someone had given me the memo about that..." the replied with a jest to Caraocs comments, then turned toward Searinox. "Thanks for the hand just before. I still am not sure what happened, but I think I'm good to go for now. Although... I cant haul much loot I think. Unless there are some fresh robes anywhere?" She gestured at her own cloak, its edges seared black.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

The scald pursued the conversation.
"Well, learning that our bosses know where we're going and have plenty of information is a good thing.
We learned something useful: we need to protect the two female leaders of our parties, for they have the most precious information.
And in my eyes, to be lead by them two is a bonus, female aesthetics in battle are highly enjoyable, and the oxymorish blend of attractiveness and cruelty is fascinating."

Chatting.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Gilvaad listened intently to the terms as Analya recited them.

“ The terms of employment seem fair and acceptable, although I do wish to understand the length of the assumed service term. I am not willing to bound myself beyond a reasonable time frame. From your turn of phrase you seem to have an end goal in mind, after which I would like an option to part company if mutually agreeable or negiotate further service.”

Pausing for a couple of breathes, he then continued.

“ You are seemingly interested in further details of my skillset, and whilst I cannot in good faith divulge any recent exploits; as you must understand the need for client confidentiality and discretion, perhaps you may have heard tell of the acquistion of the Orb of Orpyhor from under the watchful eye of the Dracon Guard of Lord Thalion a few years past or indeed the demise of the Lady Bhalariel whilst travelling from her town house to the ampitheatre under the protection of a full regiment of city guard.”

“I hope these accomplishments may somewhat rest any concerns you may have?”

Awaiting confirmation he has a job.
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

Analya gave Gilvaad's question some thought. “I would like to secure your services until the end of the next raiding season,” she decided then. “You will go to the Hungry Gaze with me. They will believe you to be my new bodyguard probably but I see no trouble in that. We will explain your position soon enough. No need for you to stay silent before that, too. Make a good first impression.”

Finally, they all gathered again on the Hungry Gaze. The unexpected recent events filled the corsairs with uncertainity: they were quietly talking to each other, observing their leaders and all the mercenaries, guessing their motives and intentions, trying to avoid being intrusive but not miss anything important. Kireth Snakeskin was pacing back and fort on the ship, grumpier than ever before, pushing everyone to work with short rash orders. Incaneth was leaning on the railing, observing the other ship and brooding deep in thoughts. Nine corsairs were lying on the board, Kruz was clearing their wounds and bandaging them carefully while Kirvaleth was holding them down. Iscar who had managed to escape his captain by volunteering for a watch found out that his eyes were returning to The Tempestous again and again.

On the board of the other ship, the mood was quite similar; Shyamal stood there and around her, there seemed to be a circle of respect no one was stepping in; Hereny was shouting orders without looking away from the Hungry Gaze; bolt throwers were being prepared to fire, corsairs were manning the railing.

Finally, a boat reached the side of the smaller ship and Analya climbed up, together with the corsair from The Tempestous that got in conflict because a sword. She stayed on the railing, in an elevated position that allowed everyone to see her perfectly, and asked in a resounding voice:

"I am here with a proposal, as you might have already guessed. Please, gather here so that everyone hears. It will be quick."

She walked slowly towards the ship's bow where the injured were lying, still on the railing, treading with disturbingly sure steps on the wet wood. The corsairs reluctantly followed, often not even trying to mute their grumping.

"Who by Mathlann she thinks she is?"
"I won't be her servant. I will shoot a bolt through her and I don't care how many crossbows do the other guys have."
"She has no experience, does she really think she understands raiding better than us?"

When close enough to the injured, she assumed a firm stance, feet apart and arms comfortably behind her back and begun her speech.

"As I have said, I have a proposal for you,"
she repeated, her words firm and quick but articulated carefully. "The task is simple, rescuing a prisoner from a human fort and handing him over to me. My goal is obvious, all of you can imagine what would happen to the coastal defences if a civil war sparkled in Nordland. The prisoner is an important noble accused of necromancy so I have no doubt he would be able to start one with some support. Therefore, it only remains to explain what will await you after you agree."

She looked the crew over, pausing for a while and ignoring anyone trying to respond. Soon, she spoke on.

"You are all experienced corsairs. How long have you been raiding, years? Decades? One would think you would have collected enough riches during this time to dwell in some luxurious palace for the rest of your life. But instead, you are here. All the wealth you had acquired brought you no good but you are now trying to get rich once more, without knowing what you are going to do next. You are about to live in circles until death finally finds you.
What I am offering is a way to move on."

"You have probably guessed that I am of noble origin. My father is Cordin Durekhar, the third of our house after his two older brothers. As a member of a well-established and respected family, I can provide you with the full support of the house and a chance to finally accomplish something big and important after years of scraping smaller prizes. In short, what I offer is a purpose."

She gave them a small wicked smile and added: "Provided, of course, you prove competent enough to get hired."

Reverting back to her expression of emotionless selfconfidence, she continued:

"For you mercenaries holds the same. I can only guess why you deemed it necessary to step into the first ship that had appeared in the harbour, if you are hiding from something or just hungry for adventure but I do know that we can help with both."

After taking a short pause, she spoke on: "The exact deal is as follows. If you rescue margrave Hildebrand von Trotzenau and hand him over to me, you will be offered to join the Durekhar fleet under favourable terms. If you fail, well, your reputation will bear one more stain which is never good for an independent ship."

"If you have some doubt,"
she concluded, "you can express them now."

A silence took over for a short while. Soon, however, questions and objections begun to rain.

"So you expect," gnarled Kireth, in a worse mood than ever, "that we'll sell our freedom for your so-called support, right? How is this favourable for us?"

"Right,"
nodded Analya without showing the smallest hint of emotions. "But let me restate that slightly. This so-called support means providing repairs, equipment, maps, backup, political cover, mercenaries with unusual skills and intelligence about possible targets. We would only detract from your freedom in asking you to attack those targets in a specific order. We are not going to boss you around on a daily basis. That is what slaves are for. You would actually lose very little."

"We would lose our bounty!"
a voice raised.

"True," complied Analya. "I would take the gold you do not know what to buy for. Also, bear in mind that you would not need to aquire equipment and fund repairs from your own savings. You will not be rich but you will retain enough for a comfortable life."

"You really think this human noble is going to work with you?"
another corsair asked.

"I think it is worth trying," she shrugged. "The worst case scenario is that two ships will be occupied with a futile plan for several months. This will lead to losses for my House but not too grave. Every year, some ships are going to suffer a bad season but the other ones usually are able to offset this. The potential gain is much bigger."

A short silence took over but was soon broken by Incaneth, asking in a thoughtful voice:

"Who are you, actually? I am aware House Durekhar exists but know almost nothing about them. If you are raiding on a regular basis how is it there are no stories about your captains? What kind of persons are your leaders and what have they achieved?"

"In our House we believe stories are something to be careful about,"
said Analya. "Used right, they provide astonishing opportunities. Used wrong, they can prove fatal."

"There are several Houses of great repute in the current Naggaroth, families known for their wealth, army, cruelty, assassins or political ties. One thing they all have in common is they all inspire envy in others. And from time to time someone deems destroying them worth the risks. Even the strongest House can fall to a precision strike of skilled assassins. Nobles, loyal warriors and humble servants get hunted down, tortured and slaughtered, who survives has to go in hiding and lives with the constant threat of being exposed and executed. In recent years this happened to House Lokarias despite the strength of dreadlord Ladal, this happened to House Corvus despite they were the best scouts in Naggaroth. Deeper in history this had happened to many more. On the other hand, there were no such attempts against us in generations."

"So no, you will rarely hear stories about us. But if you listen carefully, you will realize that captain Hereny is partly in our service if only indirectly; that one of the most successful commanders of northern watchtowers is Weylir Durekhar of the Brazen Keep; that Sarathal Durekhar was given a high rank among the black guard; or that we have a net of trade treaties that give us a steady flow of income independent on the luck of war.

In short, we are strong enough not to attract predators and at the same time unimportant enough to avoid too much unwanted attention."

“More questions?”
Now she turned her head to the mercenaries, in a stance both firm and relaxed, waiting what her former colleagues would say, fully knowing that a few words from them could easily ruin all the plans she had.

Analya tries to hire everyone.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Analya had been an impulsive mercenary. She had only become an impulsive noblewoman. Her understanding of mercenary and corsair life had not improved the slightest.
Would she be a leader? That did not strike, viewing the mixed reaction to her proposal.
She had not found the words to convince the sailors - to say the least.

The skald interrupted the silence with a careful selection of notes, tuned from the strings of his new lyre in an odd harmony, quite sad.
All mercenaries and most corsairs wondered if he was going to sing something mad as he did too often.
But no, he left the sound resonate and fade. Then the last three chords were pinched again into a disharmonious chord and stopped brutally.

The skald took a grave, irritated voice.
"You promise no gold. You mentioned a single slave that you would keep for yourself.
Worse, you want us to forsake our freedom, no matter how little that means in your eyes.
And for what? For comfort and safety... What a disgrace!
You don't like stories? We do. We don't relate stories, we live them, we become legends!
Look at us! We spend our gold faster than we earn it, we lose our slaves faster than we capture them, the freedom we pretend to have leaves us no choice.
But who cares! This is our choice! That's our lives! We are adventurers.
You hate stories? We love them, we make them, we are our stories favourite heroes!

The only sensible thing you told was about the intelligence and maps you had about possible targets.
Give us some dreams: what targets? Will they make us famous?
Then we will decide in our freedom if these targets are worth our lives.
"

Taking advantage of Analya's need for support to ask for more info.

Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Searinox was leaning against the railing of the ship when Analya entered and started preaching about her 'proposal'. He didn't pay much attention to it. At the time, all Searinox was interested in was gold and riches so he could rebuild what was taken from him. And this exact same motivation was the thing sparked his interest once Analya mentions 'The House of Corvus'. Searinox's old house that his family ruled and was raided and destroyed during a annual celebration. All it's members killed except for a few. "This wench!" Doing his utter best to hide the shock of hearing his own House's name fall in such a conversation Searinox turned towards the sea and bit his thumbnail whilst slipping into thought. "How much does she know? Did she recognize me? Probably not... At least not before the last raid... If anyone saw me fight I might be in trouble."
This continued on a small bit with several escape plans being devised and discarded for the simple fact there was no escape. He was stranded on a ship, out at sea, with the nearest land belonging to Humans.
Al he could do was wait it out, and use the silver tongue his families bloodline was known for to talk his way out of any... unpleasant situations.

Caraoc finally broke the silence that had fallen on deck and Searinox decided that he needed more information aswell. But not about the specifics of the raiding target, nor about the details of the proposal Analya had given them, no. The information he wanted was far more personal. Whilst it was a long shot, the fact that she was bragging about her connections to various parts in Druchii Society gave Searinox enough reason to believe he could get some information about the downfall of his House from her.

"Caraoc's right! I'm very attached to my freedom, nor have I ever needed someone to hold their wing over my head from something I couldn't handle."
Searinox walked away from the railing he had been leaning on and stood next to Caraoc.
"Most of us took up this lifestyle because of the Stories. To Live them, Become them. What good are riches if I have to hide to enjoy them?" not that he was one of these persons, it was forced upon him. Yet he didn't hate it.
"More importantly though, how would this 'support' even work out for us Mercenaries? As I said before, I enjoy my freedom and would like to know exactly what's in it for me before I even consider signing up further."

Trying to get more information

Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

When Caraoc began his speech Analya turned to him with a hart and concentrated expression; soon, however, her eyes narrowed and her look turned almost inquisitive.

“I know you value stories more than anything,” she responded in a voice somewhat softer and more melodic than before. “Tell me, however, how valuable do you consider you gains up to now? Sacking a smaller village, escaping some Asur hawk ships, even fighting the tax collector, those are accomplishments any good corsair can beat with his own. What more is there? Is finding some strange book a story you would share with your usual audience?
I have looked at you closely. What you are living in might be sufficient for you but it is hardly a legend that would inspire awe. How are you going to change this? If you had a plan you would have pursued it. Instead, you are wandering on the shore and hoping for a stroke of luck that would let you accomplish something to sing about.”

Analya allowed herself a tiny smile and continued: “On the other hand, not every corsair was able to rescue a prisoner of the human Inquisition, probably heavily guarded. Not every corsair can observe a human necromancer in his pitiful attempts to achieve greatness in magic. I assume it will be at least as entertaining as the study of clumsy human philosophy. After this, you can expect intercepting human messengers, manipulating their diplomats, sacking cities while their defendants are campaigning inlands, visiting bishopries where both gold and ancient tomes are abundant, capturing nobles and demanding ransom. You may end battling the Asur expeditionary force that is stationed here, killing them or making them enemies with the humans. The especially daredevil pursuers of fame can strike down an arch lector. There is so much a corsair can get from an undefended land.”

Turning to Searinox, she explained, now more matter-of-factly again:

“For this raiding season, you mercenaries are part of the ship due to your contract with Kireth Snakeskin. Therefore, you will work under the same terms as the corsairs. After you complete your current mission, you will be given the opportunity to accept another contract. This time, the conditions will be settled on an individual basis, taking in account both your preferences and your upcoming tasks. You will retain the freedom to deny further cooperation, as will my House of course. Potential rewards include gold, fame, the thrill of adventure, but also access to somewhat rarer equipment or the chance to make a good name in front of certain nobles or commanders should this mean something to you.

Please note that I want you to operate under broad instructions with lots of independence. Also, if there is some specific part of the contract I am proposing that you feel is restricting your freedom too much I am more than willling to discuss it.”

Analya answering questions.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Lust lit the scald's eyes.
He stroke six double tones on the lyre, sounding like the start of an impatient and eager march.
"Sacking cities and bishopries for abundant gold and ancient tomes... capturing nobles for ransoms, battling the Asur... striking down an arch lector...
Yesss! Now you're telling us something worthy. Why did'nt you tell us this in the first place?
When can we start?"

OK, let's go.

Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Searinox let himself lean back against the railing again and held his chin with his hand. A bad habit he had whenever he started to scheme.
'Those conditions aren't half bad,' He thought to himself 'I could use a steady means of employment for the time being. It will take a good time before I can rebuild and my men might get something out of it aswell.'
He let a quick glance scan over to Analya. 'Though I'll need to negotiate about these nobles. Just to be safe.'

Letting his hand drop he turned to Analya, with stance that... was maybe much to refined for a mercenary.
"Now we are talking business. For now I shall settle with the contract as is, we can refine the details on a later date."
It was something he couldn't help, from birth a strict protocol had been drilled into him and it subconsciously came out when he started to finish the deal.

accepting the contract

Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

At first, Ladry awaited the reply of the other mercenaries before making a sound. Carelessly slung up against the railing she nearly didnt pay attention to Analya. It did not please her the slightest to take orders - for whatever the others where thinking, that is what this is. Orders. I have a ship full of soldiers who follow will my lead. Join with me, or I will have them slay you all. The words between the words where plain as day, though it seemed as if the others did not see it. Or maybe they did, and accepted their fate calmly. Caraoc and Searinox had both accepted at the promise of fame and fortune, respectively. But this was not her desire. Instead, when it was her turn to speak, she said with a calm voice: "Lures of riches and fame have no meaning to me. What I desire is knowledge. Knowledge and prowess of the arcane. Give me an opportunity to obtain this, and we have ourselves an arrangement. Otherwise, no deal."
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

The fire mage spoke out calmly and without any entusiasm. It did not seem Analya would mind much, though.

“That depends on the kind of knowledge you are seeking,”
she responded. “If our prisoner truly is a necromancer then just meeting him will help you more than any ordinary raid would. Later, I expect several mages to oppose us, among them one or two Asur. It should be easy to arrange a meeting.”

She paused and the two noble daughters were starring at each other in silence for a short while, the one in power and the one in hiding, the fencer and the mage, the grey eyes and emerald ones.

“Of course,”
Analya added slowly, “nothing of this comes even close to what the libraries of Ghrond can offer. You probably have no access to it as otherwise you would be there if you really value your education as much as you say. Well, Shyamal can go there freely.”

Dark hair and fair hair. Tight clothes and a loose tunic. Yet under a similar white skin a similar fire was blazing.

“The question then stands,” she ended, “how big a risk would it account for should I provide an outcast such as you with forbiden knowledge? And are you trustworthy enough for me to accept this danger? I assume, though, that a deal should be possible if you content yourself with the more mundante bundles.”

Haggling with Ladry.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Two ladies were facing each other, in a battle of will.
Dark hair vs. fair hair. Tight clothes vs. loose tunic. Hot adventurer vs. icy noblewoman.
This was getting interesting.
The mercenary scald thought he could give some back up to his fiery fellow.
Caraoc tapped his harp in rythm and hit the chords - after all, the weather couldn't be much worse, could it?

"Oh you're givin' me the fever tonight - I don't wanna give in, you'll be playin' with fire
You forget, I've seen you work before - Take 'er straight to the top, leave 'er cryin' for sore
I've seen you burn 'em before
Fire on ice, you come on like a flame - Can you burn a cold shouter?
Fire on ice, I wanna give you my move - Until you take a little piece of my help
Please you tear 'er apart

Movin' in for the kill tonight - You got every advantage when they put out the lights
It's not so pretty when it fades away - 'Cause it's just an illusion in this passion play
I've seen you burn 'em before
Fire on ice, I wanna give you my move - Until you take a little piece of my help

So you think you got it all figured out - You're an expert in the field without a doubt
But I know your methods inside and out - And it won't be taken in by fire on ice

You come on like a flame - Can you burn a cold shouter?
Fire on ice"

Nothing special.
OOC: PAT BENATAR "Fire And Ice"
Lyrics and video.

Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

When the mercenaries fell silent captain Kireth Snakeskin shook his head. “I can't believe I am even discussing it. It seems we don't have much choice, do we? But remember, our little princess, once anyone tries to boss us around we are leaving you and spitting on any beautiful words you try to say.”

He grimaced and ended: “Otherwise I think we have nothing more to discuss, do we?”

“We do in fact,” opposed Analya. She was still trying to project strength and confidence but allowed herself small signs of joy, a tiny smile, a spark in her eyes. “I would like to propose some personal changes. First, as Dolan proved a promising apprentice in smithing but lost his master in the recent battle I would like to move him to The Tempestous. There, he will have a chance to further his skills under the supervision of another smith; contrarily, should he stay here he would be unlikely to provide you with repairs no one of you other corsairs is capable of.”

Dolan was surprised to hear his name – he had lost track of the conversation long ago and was now just sitting there, resting and enjoying a dry spot on the board, and now he got scared he was to be punished for something. After hearing the explanation, however, he laughed.

“Well, I thought I was going to lead the prison break. Because I am the perfect stealthy elf as you probably noticed. The only thing I could do better than sneaking would be talking with this grave guy about magic.”

Kireth shrugged. “I don't really care anymore. He's a mercenary. If he really wants to follow you he's free to go.”

“Good,” nodded the noble girl. “The second proposition regards Gilvaad, the elf that arrived together with me. He is a currently a mercenary on The Tempestous and was praised by captain Hereny for his prowess in infiltration, espionage and long term risk elimination if I remember his expertise correctly. As far as I know, there is no one on this ship with abundant experience in those fields and this elf is willing to undertake this mission with you, if you are content with his participation.”

After settling down the last details, Analya finally relaxed, jumped down from the railing and walked to the lower deck to pick up her few belongings. Before leaving the ship, though, she stopped by the mercenary scout and said:

“Searinox, as we are probably not going to see each other for several months at least, I have to say I was quite intrigued with the fencing technique you used when fighting that hatted human. It got me thinking, perhaps you would be willing to teach me some of your feints? I am sure I would be able to repay you in the same way. We could hide in the forest so no one else sees if you are protective of your secrets.”

The corsairs around laughed mildly in surprise. “Hey, Sears, I knew she had a crush on you,” commented someone. Nearby, Incaneth chuckled while Kireth rolled his eyes. Analya glanced around amusedly and shrugged, as if saying, I know but can I do differently? Almost immediately, however, she looked back at the disgraced noble, awaiting a response.

Analya proposes to exchange Gilvaad for Dolan and then invites Searinox to a date.
I think we can break the chronology somewhat - leave discussing the exact prison break plan for later but feel free to post about anything else you might want to do or say. For example, you can return to discussing terms with Analya, greet Gilvaad, tend to the wounded, drink some wine with friends two days after leaving the shore, remember your childhood or sell someone a bridge. :)
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Searinox snorted at the remark Analya made regarding the lack of capable Infiltrators on the ship.
"I'm guessing she just wants a pair of eyes and ears on the ship whilest she is away." he thought to himself.
Not that he worried, with an 'expert' on board Searinox was less likely to be exposed through his scouting capabilities.

then something happend he wasn't prepaired for, couldn't Be prepaired for. Analya asked for a sparring lesson, private if need be, in the fighting style of his family. Instantly Searinox's head filled with paranoia, "Of all the people! How much did she see? Did she recognize it? Am I about to be exposed? And what does she intend to do with this info..." yet it vanished just as fast thanks to the comment of a nearby Corsair.
“Hey, Sears, I knew she had a crush on you.”
"Ow Shut It!" he retorted, regaining the composure he had just lost he turned to Analya.
'Relax! If she found out she found out. No reason to worry to much about it now. Just find out how much she knows.'
"I might be able to teach you a few of the basics." said with a small smile on his face.
'That should be easily achievable...' He thought 'It toke me decades to learn, a few basics should do no harm.'
It was a style that had been passed down from the days of young Naggaroth, it was far more then a simple stance. It was an entire dance that followed a pattern that was able to adapt to many situations at any given time. Though some parts where very distinct to the style in itself so Searinox still needed to be careful in what he thaught.
"Though I would prefer if we would do this, like you suggested, away from the ship. And if your words are true I'm sure there are plenty of ways for you to refill a dept." Searinox knew instantly that that last line would cause him a great amount of grief when he returned to the ship. Yet the words had already left his mouth and it was the truth.

Agreeing to go on a date with Analya

Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

"An outcast I am not", Ladry replied sharply at Analyas suggestion. "To be an outcast, you must first be a member, and then subsequently be cast out. I was never."
She caught Analyas gaze with eyes glowing almost as if ablaze. "What I seek is to wreathe our foes in flame, to let the might of Asuryan purge the resistance of the lesser races, and indeed all who would oppose the superiority us elves where always meant to have in the world. Provide me with the means to do so, and my talents are at your disposal. I care little for meaningless squabble amongst nobles, neither for recognition nor legacy. The fire is legacy enough, but I need more knowledge of it."

With those words she shifted her eyes to the other mercenaries. A strange company to tell the truth, though not the worst by far. She walked towards Caraoc and winked at him as a thanks for the musical support. "Surprising to see the little lady requesting private affairs with our friend Searinox..." she told him in a whisper barely audible. "Unclear what she wishes to achieve. Certainly, Sear is not that good of a looker".

Making clear what Ladry wishes in exchange for her continued service, and then attempting to mock Analya behind her back with Caraoc
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

His service already secured, there was little Gilvaad could say or do. Instead he walked to the side and sat upon a small mound of grass taking in the sights and sounds of the discussion.

Assessing the group, it was apparent that a few stood out as members to watch. The scald he had run into earlier. The object of the girls affection, some fop by the look of it, although Gilvaad was very aware appearance can be very deceiving. Then there was the fire witch.... "How and where?", he wondered to himself.

Watching and pondering...
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

After the shortest while of hesitation, Searinox agreed to Analya's request and added: "Though I would prefer if we would do this, like you suggested, away from the ship. And if your words are true I'm sure there are plenty of ways for you to refill a dept."

Her eyes sparkled with amusement and an innocent smile appeared on her lips. “I knew I could rely on you,” she said. Ignoring the giggling of the corsairs around, she moved on jumped in the boat, leaving the sculls to her companion. They travelled in silence; luckily, it only took a few moments to get to the shore and disappear in the forest.

They did not go far. Once they were hidden securely, Analya explained while walking, sounding thoughtful and somewhat curious: “As I have said, I was quite intrigued by your fencing style. It seemed as a very well thought off system, not something a fencer could build up intuitively just by getting in many battles. At the short glance I was allowed it was somewhat similar to the sword art of shade clans but more refined and less vicious. It looks like something you must have studied by a real fencing master.”

The noble girl halted and turned to face Searinox directly. Her hair was wet again from the never-ceasing rain and a few strands fell in her face; she pulled them back without looking away from her companion.

“In addition, you were desperate enough to board The Hungry Gaze in the first place. This sparks some questions.” Her eyes got narrower as she concluded: “Such as, who exactly are you? I do not want to be rude and break your secrets but if you are some kind of banished captain we might be able to help you get revenge or win your honour back.”

Gilvaad had a few moments for himself. He was able to look the ship over quickly: she had outlived her best years and had been repaired many times but she was being kept in good shape carefully. It was hardly the fastest ship Gilvaad had seen, or the prettiest, or the sturdiest; but it was small enough to manoeuver by the shore easily and hopefully tough enough to get out of storms.

The corsairs quickly returned to their duties, storing new loot, taking care of the slaves that were still in the hold, preparing their ship for a new journey. The wounded were now left to rest; some of them lied pale and barely conscious; among others, quiet dialogue was to hear.

The mercenary was not allowed to look around for long, though. Soon, the grumpy elf who had been mostly speaking to Analya before came to him and eyed him up and down.

“So,” he said harshly, “I hope you understand I did not want you here. I expect you to at least be quiet and go out of our way. But if you think you can actually do something feel free to convince me you won't be a burden.”

Analya asks Searinox where did he learn his fencing, suspecting he has been a servant of someone important.
Kireth is still in bad mood and greats Gilvaad in a very rude manner.
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Once they got in the forest Analya asked where Searinox had learn his fighting style, a small smile grew on his face as he remembered his younger years and his lessons with Corvo, the Assassin of his former House.
"I had the fortune of finding a good teacher, who luckily had the patience to teach me instead of chopping my head off when I screwed up." He chuckled when he thought of his first few lessons. 'Though if I hadn't been the son of his contractor he might have.' He took a deep breath and muttered "Good times."
As Analya turned to face him Searinox couldn't help but think that, when she isn't bossing around every single person in her immediate vicinity, she isn't to bad to be around. The question that followed snapped him back into thinking.
'Well at the very least she doesn't know who I am. So I guess I'm safe for now.'
With a more serious tone he answered, "As to the reason I boarded the Hungry Gaze... lets just say that I have made enemies in the past and was in need of a... 'vacation'." with slightly more amusement he answered the second part.
"And I believe I introduced myself once we first met, if not." drawing his Falchion slowly he started a graceful bow. "You may call me Searinox, Swashbuckler extraordinary."
Raising his head he put his hand on the short sword strapped to his back, and looked at Analya with a playish smile.
"So, what more are you interested in?"

Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

When Searinox bowed and drew his sword Analya followed his example, greeting him with a bow taking right from her etiquette lessons, unsheathing her own rapier in a smooth motion and answering his smile with a joyous sparkle of her own.

“What more are you interested in?” asked the self-proclaimed swashbuckler while readying himself for their inevitable fight.

The noble girl loosened up her wrist with a few sword swings in the air and threw in in a playful voice: “Those mysterious enemies sound impressively dangerous. I am quite curious who they are and why are they targetting you.” Then, without any warning, she stepped forwards and changed her relaxed position to a classical guard stance, putting her sword one thrust away from Searinox's heart.

“And perhaps more importantly,” she added, looking straight into the banished noble's eyes, “how are you going to defend yourself?”

Analya asks Searinox about his enemies and starts a fencing duel.
This fight will last for several rounds probably and the fencers are very evenly matched so I suggest the following: each round will last for one post exactly. In your posts, Searinox is going to win. In modposts, Analya will have the upper hand. This allows us to be creative and come up with some nice fight scenes without delaying the story too much.
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Searinox smiled as his eyes locked with Analya's, "That makes two of us then." continuing in a tone that mirrored Analya's playfulness, "As to how I'll defend myself against them..."
Then before adding anything else, like quicksilver, the disgraced noble drew the dagger he had taken from the hatted man and struck away Analya's rapier. Then, with a movement just as fast, Searinox turned around and kicked Analya.
Barely able to block it she quickly gained some ground between herself and Searinox. Yet Searinox proved to fast for her at this point and had already closed the distance and began a combination that almost seemed to follow a strict flow. Only just being able to parry or dodge each attack.
Baiting Analya to retreat even further Searinox unleashed a broad double strike with the Sword and Dagger, Analya took the bait and dodged further back. Yet, because of Searinox's sudden burst of attacks, Analya had thought the surrounding trees to be further away. As she jumped back she found that her path was blocked by a tree and she was cornered.
Before she could react further though a small throwing dagger landed in the tree just above her, Searinox had already sheathed his dagger and had pulled out one of his throwing knives.

Taking a deep breath he looked at the noble woman with a look of enjoyment in his eyes.
"I'll defend myself with Shadows and Quick Wits. So far they haven't let met down" adding in a small smile Searinox prepared himself for Analyas counter attack. Placing his off hand underneath his cloak so Analya couldn't see what he was reaching for.

Replying to Analya followed by some sparring