Group 42 OOC

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

MangoPunch
Noble

Re: Group 42 OOC

Post by MangoPunch »

Well said Caroa... err... Callisson. I thought my last post was actually a way to amiably end the argument and let the story progress, I suppose it wasn't quite on target. I have some work I need to do but will hopefully have 10 minutes this morning to write another post.

-JGB
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

Calisson wrote:The captain could well decide to spoil a law, but he would have to justify it with a legal provision other than merely being the captain.

To take the book in front of the crew he likley would - but dark elves are also brutal sneaky and deceptive. He could slit Caoroc's throat in his sleep and take it - if he thought it was of value. Or have a bolt accidentially find Caroac's back in the next mele. You don't move up the ranks in Dark Elf society without a brutalness and self interest - laws or no laws.
-JGB

Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Also. Some dark elves are chaotic evil for sure :P
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

@ MangoPunch
Your post did serve its purpose indeed! ;)
I took the opportunity to highlight how unfair the situation was, in order to help reversing it.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

I am quite burried in work right now so I do not know when I will be able to post. Maybe I will write something in just two hours (I need some refreshment after all) but it could very well happen that you will see nothing from me in the following week. Should this be the case, my apologies for the delay. Do not panic, the post will be up at some point. :)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

@ Searinox, MangoPunch
May I take advantage of the unexpected delay to advertize about the contest: Get your PhD in Arcane arts. Tell us how YOU tried?

@ Marchosias
Reversely, you could have appreciated the roleplaying abilities displayed there: Get your PhD in Arcane arts. Tell us how YOU tried by D.netters other than Thraundil and myself.
You might take the opportunity to consider any of them to join us in Gr42, we're not too many of us.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

I thought about that... but i figured that since Searinox isnt a true magic user (only a few tricks if he ever learns it)
HOWEVER i still have his sister Devana :D so i might try it
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

Mod post up. You do not have to respond in much depth (or at all); in a short while (meaning a few days probably) I am going to push the story forwards.

I have tried to calm things down regarding the book, I hope it is enough. :)
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

Some comment about how do you earn new skills (or stat changes):

First, you need to convince me that I want to give you one. I will get in the mood from time to time without you having to do anything; but with posts of good quality (whatever that actually means) and posts that show me you want a certain skill and would know how to use it, you can increase your chances significantly.

Second, I want to give your characters skills based on their actions. They can learn new tricks both by attempting related tasks and by consciously trying to learn.

I this instance, Calisson mentioned his interest in beasts magic and he certainly deserved such a powerful skill with his posts. Searinox did some scouting and so the stealth makes sense and in his posting, I see no reason why not to grant him the skill. Harkyl is too new to the group to gain such a progression but this is just a matter of time. Ladry is probably going to receive something after the next bigger story segment; if Thraundil writes me what skills would he like her to have it would make my life considerably easier.

Just as an illustration - what skills could the NPCs get:
Dolan: forgery, as he is working with Paithan quite heavily
Paithan: toughness - if he is injured so often and still can carry on he is probably quite cool
Iscar: precision fire (or something from this branch) for shooting the sentry in the tower. Yes, one action can be enough.
Analya: awareness as she was very alert during the whole raid
Not that I would think about the NPCs in terms of such skills. :)

As always, I am open to critique or questions. :)
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Mmh... Basic Stealth... not what i was working towardst but I can most defenatly work with it :D
I also like the way you give the skilks. makes sense.
Now if you'll ecxusr me, Ill have to try and have Searinox try magic tricks :P

Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Thanks for the new skill! :D
Caraoc will spend all possible time reading his Tome, in order to get a better insight of Ghur.

I am still wondering how the Tome "works", i.e. how to trigger the magic it seems to hold inside.
Is it just that making the effort to understand granted Caraoc his new skill? In that case, there would be no additional value to keep it, wouldn't it?
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

Calisson wrote:Thanks for the new skill! :D
Caraoc will spend all possible time reading his Tome, in order to get a better insight of Ghur.

I am still wondering how the Tome "works", i.e. how to trigger the magic it seems to hold inside.
Is it just that making the effort to understand granted Caraoc his new skill? In that case, there would be no additional value to keep it, wouldn't it?

You are assuming that Caraoc can tap into Ghur - sure there are wizards throughout the warhammer world with mastery over multiple winds, but there are many more that are only able to access one or a few winds at any proficiency. Anyway, I hope you are successful, or at least that Caoroc doesn't turn himself into a chaos spawn / get sucked into the warp.
-JGB

Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

As Elves we are better enabled to channel the Winds of Magic then the lesser races, as such for Elves its not very uncommon that they know more then one lore without getting their minds twisted off (the whole concept of High (and maybe Dark) Magic is weaving (or smashing) all the winds together into 1 force.

either way you could have it work like the Vampire Counts, 'Cursed book'. you make 'channel' magic through the book and then one out of 6 spells happen.

PS: and dammit Calisson you know your gods well xD i have to look them up every time :P

Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

@ Calisson: As far as Caraoc can tell, the book only explained some basic techniques and he acquired them through his own effort - there was no magical help in the learning process. On the other hand, the book might have other functions than sharing information as well - the magical glow he and Ladry sense tells that it has some magic potential.

I am quite curious how is he going to cope with the different mindset beast magic requires. He is used to heavens that manipulates the outside world while beasts tries to influence the target itself. It uses raw power instead of the subtlety that Caraoc seems to value. But I am sure it is possible somehow. :)

@ Mango: Caraoc can indeed use the Wind of Ghur without miscasting too often. Roleplaying a chaos spawn would probably not be fun for long.

I don't like the idea that some beings would be completely unable to do any magic at all. As I see it, mastering magic is very difficult and extremely so if you lack the appropriate talent but everyone can learn at least some of it with enough determination - which most lack, of course. With every new wind of magic one starts from the beginning as only some concepts carry over so one needs huge effort again but there is nothing that would a priori prevent it.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Yeah I see no reason not to be able to channel multiple winds of magic either. There are several instances of loremasters in the armybooks, multiple characters (albeit very powerful mages) that can channel several winds at will. Most mages are limited to a single lore per battle though. Maybe something similar here? Once you channel one wind you need a break before you can attempt to switch. I dont know.

As for character skill progression, Ladry has two main goals. Advancing her raw pyromancer power, and advancing her control of it. (In skill terms, power of aqshy 3 + battle magic). The power of aqshy comes only with time and practise, and she does emply fire in every skirmish so far. And to reasonable effect, she killed what was it, 2 guys on her own plus several assists. Battle magic I feel is something that is learned through a form of study, or serious and repeated practise. It will take a very long time, or a teacher, or both. Neither are readily available aboard a ship :P but I will try to make it more clear during 'idle times' that she practises sensing and channeling fire spells :p
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Thanks for clarification - partial, but it cancels out some hypothesis.
Next time, I'll try to have Caraoc cast something while holding the book, and see what happens.
About Ghur, it is not totally new, Caraoc carries all the time a "Beastbane" Horn, made of a Verminlord antler, which influences all beasts.
Heavens and Beasts are very complementary, as you mentioned. I see also Beasts much more focused than Heavens, as it is best used on a single target (quite likely the caster himself, at this low level).
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

Short mod post up. Just to clarify: from the in-character perspective it is probably better to scout first and then call this meeting. Shame on me for not thinking of it myself. :oops: However, from the story-flow point of view, I think it is better not to interrupt the action of tracking and attacking the tax collector (should you decide to do so) with some lengthy talking. Besides, it would be quite disappointing to spend several days with preparations and then decide it is actually not worth the risk. :) If you still feel you can't give a good answer, I can work with that. :)

Thraundil: I am aware you want fire-related skills for Ladry, don't worry. I just feel both of the skills that are remaining are too powerful given where we are at the story so I would like to wait for them for a while. :) But you might actually like some combat skills like fencing or evasion as a preparation for the battle magic? (and then, when you have battle magic + power of Aqshy 3 + awareness + evasion + acrobatics + Sariya fencing you are going to be a real unstoppable killing machine - but oh well, at this point I can just send you against a tank brigade led by a greater demon :D )
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Marchosias wrote:Thraundil: I am aware you want fire-related skills for Ladry, don't worry. I just feel both of the skills that are remaining are too powerful given where we are at the story so I would like to wait for them for a while. :) But you might actually like some combat skills like fencing or evasion as a preparation for the battle magic? (and then, when you have battle magic + power of Aqshy 3 + awareness + evasion + acrobatics + Sariya fencing you are going to be a real unstoppable killing machine - but oh well, at this point I can just send you against a tank brigade led by a greater demon :D )

Yeah, true that! Both skills would make her vastly more destructive than any foes we could hope to meet at the rest of the party's skill level.

Though, even if I had all those skills and you set me up against a greater demon, I'd get stomped :P
I'll try and work something in next idle time. I do belive it was in the last version of the group, where she did practise a lot of fencing with the other mercs :P
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Did we have any would-be newcomer, either from a recently deceased RPG or from the arcane PhD competition?
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

Only Amboadine has contacted me. His character is joining the group some time in the near future.

Mod post up. I wanted to write something nice for a change - you know, making the NPCs at least a bit alive - which is the only reason the feast is actually happening. :)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Marchosias wrote:(I hope Caraoc joins the other player characters :) )
That's a general principle that RPG are better played in a group.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Marchosias wrote:Ladry can feel Caraoc's newly emerging affinity with the beasts magic but she senses nothing concerning the humans.
It would seem odd to me that the mere fact of being a magic user would be felt by other magic-users, especially at long distance.
If that was the case, there would be no chance for male casters to avoid screenage by officials enforcing Malekith's ruling against them.
I would assume that only when actually disturbing the winds of magic would that disturbance be felt by those who are able to tap into these winds.
Now, I could understand that a deep familiarity between Ladry and Caraoc could help them two to be much more sensitive to each other, and your statement is certainly something I can understand as Caraoc is likely to try to use his new affinity at any opportunity.
But this idea of being able to tell the presence of a magic user at long distance without anyone casting a spell (neither the one to be detected nor the one trying to detect) seems a little bit too far off.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

If we can tell the equipment and stuff to detail, I assume we are not at "long distance". Maybe 50-100 meters? I also assume that magic users do not simply sense these things automatically. But (personal understanding) any wizard who has ever tapped into the winds of magic leaves traces on him or herself, forever. Those connected to it sort of always have a small passive connection going on at all times. My reasoning for trying to sense these things come from the fact that we sensed the presence of the book in the alchemists shack.
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

but didnt the book emit its own magic? persons dont emit magic, they controll the winds and weave it in useable forms. though i can understand that the wind would linger if said person had just used magic i think that over the course of a few days this would dissipate.
but then again wouldnt targets of magic also emit a small portion of it?

Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

As you have probably noticed already I am making this kind of rules on the spot so it is a good thing you challenge them from time to time. :) My view is this:

- under a normal situation, each mage (or anything that is able to do some magic) is in connection to the respective wind of magic.
- this connection can be felt as it is some sort of disturbance in the winds.
- if you are not paying attention, you would only feel very strong mages that are really close. One part of the Enchanting Beauty Morathi is known for might be a result of her magic talent being felt even by mere non-wizards. :) (or maybe not, I really do not know)
- if you are paying attention, you can spot mages not further than 50-100 metres away.
- a good mage can conceal himself from all wizards but the ones that are stronger than he is
- hiding is a tiring process, draining both normal and magical energy

But if you would preffer it otherwise, we can talk about it. :)