Quest for the Nemesis- NC fluff

Talk about all aspects of the Nemesis Crown summer campaign here

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

If I am being offerd a spy then who am I to say no, trust that he will find his way into my fluff.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

Here's a short installment. (i couldn't write more this time, but more is about to come.)

Next Morning

Draknir walked to the dock of his Black Ark. He desperately hoped that the Darkwell was fixed. And that Naghlír still had his head on his shoulders. He met Danarh and Dalakoi in the captain’s quarters, where the men were anticipating Admiral to appear. ”I presume the Well is fixed, am I right?” ”Indeed, Admiral. If there’s nothing left to do, I think we can leave. Or do you perhaps want us to do the dishes?” Danarh asked dryly and flashed a small grin that showed it had no amusement behind it. ”You can leave. But if you desperately want to do the dishes, you may do it, of course.” Draknir spat. Danarh frowned, but turned to Dalakoi and gave a mark to leave. Danarh then walked arrogantly out from the messy room. Sariour had waited outside the door, and gave a little glance on Draknir. She smiled, and deep within him Draknir knew that she had noticed Naghlír’s disguise unlike the men.

Naghlír stood leaning on the railing of the deck. He had still the dress on him, but he had thrown the wig overboard and torn the stuffings he had had. Draknir walked to the deck, and without even seeing him coming, Naghlír spoke to him. ”She was beautiful, wasn’t she?” Naghlír said. Draknir sighed. ”You can’t fall in love with her. All sorceresses are wedded to the Witch King, and no other. You have no chance on her”, Draknir said. ”Officially I’m dead. The Witch King doesn’t even know I live”, Naghlír said, his voice full of dreams. ”Isn’t that a stupid rule? If I had to marry Malekith to become a sorceress, I wouldn’t bother to do it. I would have the world’s most beautiful mother-in-law, but then again it would be horrible to be in marriage with that steel clump.” Draknir thought that Naghlír had finally gone completely mad. ”Of course that would be the case if I was a woman. Being an outlaw isn’t so bad, actually”, Naghlír said. Hope so, Draknir thought and looked at the message scrolls hanging from his belt.
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

Counsellor Tharkyn gave a snort of contempt and with a single word of some unknown language dimmed the internal light that glowed from his Mirror of Knowledge, and the image of admiral Draknir disappeared from it’s surface. The Mirror was only a bowl of some water-like liquid, but if it was looked from different angles, it reflected pictures that normal water wouldn’t. He placed the bowl carefully to a closet made from black ebony and locked it with an intricately detailed key. He called one of his sevants. ”Bring me my council robes.” ”Is the court gathering again tonight, mylord?” The servant asked. ”It is, indeed. The Witch king- may Khaine bless him- has summoned the council to an additional meeting. We shall discuss more of the Nemesis Crown, and we decide the correct orders to give for our ’renegade hunters’.” Tharkyn said dryly. The servant bowed and left the room quickly. Tharkyn smiled. There was more information to come for his master.

The Courthouse of Naggarond stood well over three times higher than the other buldings surrounding the marketplace in front of it. It’s cathedral-like façade was designed to look like intimidating and forbidding, and it was full of grotesque images of fell beasts and intricate runes. Counsellor Tharkyn walked calmly towards the black iron doors that could have stood up for a Daemon. The Great Hall was full of the nobility of Naggarond and the other six cities. The Council was about to begin.

The councillors were summoned inside the Council Room. It was a hall size of such that a Black ark would have fit into it and still left spare space. The seats of the councillors were placed so that they formed like an oval-like arena, and down in the floor level, opposite to the door, a great black throne was placed. When the councillors had taken their places, the guards opened the high doors behind the throne, and a tall figure fully clad in a suit of blackest steel walked in the hall. Long horns were fixed to the brow of his helmet, and the steel mask that covered his face left only his burning eyes to be seen. The Witch King had arrived. Deep inside him Tharkyn scorned Malekith, but still, after countless councils, he couldn’t help to feel the intimidating respect that the king of Naggaroth raised in the crowd. The Witch King spoke, his words echoing from his mask and from the high walls of the room, his tone sharp and cold: ”The Council has been summoned to discuss the matter of the Nemesis Crown…”
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

The arm of the changer is long indeed.......

Great story.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Gentleman of Moderation
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

Indeed. Tharkyn has had over two thousand years to achieve his place and cover his tracks...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the other side of the sea, Draknir had summoned a similar gathering. His corsairs had gathered around him in the camp, and Draknir explained his plans. ”We shall take smaller ships and sail along the River Reik. The depth isn’t enough for the Palace, so we have to leave it there even when it’s Well works. Then we shall continue along River Delb towards the area known as Howling Heights- The place where the Crown was last known to be. Though I shall leave Reaver Ar’Thin and his crew to watch the ship. Others, take up the boats, we shall leave immediately.” ”How about the Giant? We have barely enough space in the boats for the Cold Ones”, shipmaster Sthel-Dar said. ”We’ll borrow Ar’Thins ship for our big bugger, if it’s okay”, Draknir said, turning to Ar’Thin. The Reaver frowned, but nodded slightly. Draknir turned back to the shipmaster. ”I thought so. Now, back to work, men. You know what to do.”

”So we are here only looking for the Crown, eh? How about us?” one of Draknir’s captains asked. ”We need our tenths of plunder, and I doubt the Crown can be divided for such many men.” ”We won’t keep the crown. When we return it to counsellor Tharkyn, he rewards us” Draknir explained and thought that didn’t he tell this before the trip. ”But if you need to get your hands on fresh plunder, there is this place called the Temple of the Fallen in the Howling Hills. That place might keep a wee bit of valuables inside…” Draknir said and roused a wave of cheering. Good. No mutiny expectable.

Counsellor Tharkyn made quick notes as one of the Councillors stood up for another speech. ”It is rumoured that the rebellians who are named to our list have made a union and are planning to take over Tor Thana. This alliance is masterminded by persons called Drainial Shadowheart, Gorgoneth of the Cult of Chroesh, and this Rackeith who calls himself the Exile Lord. There are other names also, and some tell of a necromancer and the Blood Dragons being involved. They are formed a powerful force in the Old World and I suggest they are considered as a threat for the rights of our nation…” Tharkyn stood up and started to speak, his powerful voice interrupting the councillor completely. ”Those rumours have not been certainly confirmed and could be unfounded propaganda from the Phoenix King. I think this belongs to the same class of gossips as the information of the force dispatched from Hoeth. I wouldn’t consider some weakling rebellion as a threat.” Tharkyn sat down, raising a general uproar in the hall. The councillor who spoke before Tharkyn looked confused. ”Do you have any backup for your claims, Counsellor Tharkyn?” he said. Tharkyn sighed and answered. ”I have dispatched a Black Ark along with it’s commander, Admiral Draknir Reaverblade, to spy the doings in the Old World and he hasn’t informed me of any specific unions among the rebels who dwell there.” Tharkyn sat down again and smiled. The councillors believed anything he told to them. Then another voice spoke.

”Do you mean the same Admiral Reaverblade, who was supposed to bring me the Asur spy whose fault is that many seats in this hall are empty?” the Witch King asked, and the hall silenced. ”Exactly same person, mylord. I’m afraid it was my fault for he didn’t manage to bring your highness the message. However, the Asur is dead so I presume no harm has happened.” Tharkyn explained, knowing he wouldn’t be punished. His power was such that the strife that would follow his death when the nobility tries to take the famed seat of the Counsellor, that a miniature-scale civil war would arise inside the Court. Malekith didn’t answer, but instead declared the council finished and left the room. After Malekith had left, the councillors were allowed to leave.

Outside the courthouse, Tharkyn was about to step onto his four-seater carriage. A powerful grip on his shoulder stopped him. Tharkyn turned with an arrogant expression on his face. The expression lost much of it’s impressiveness when the Counsellor realised that he had to turn his gaze upwards, for the man that stood behind him was extremely tall for an Elf. He had even more scars than Admiral Reaverblade had, and he looked almost as old as Tharkyn. His long, silvery hair was tied behind his head to a tail, and he wore intricately detailed robes with a sea dragon cloak lined with black silk on his wide shoulders. ”How do you know Draknir Reaverblade?” the tall elf asked with a raspy bass voice. Tharkyn glared at the man. He was obviously been in the Council, and his robes looked like their owner wasn’t a lowborn. ”I just met him before he left to the Old World. Who am I honoured to speak to, sir?” Tharkyn asked suspecting. ”I am Lord Admiral Draketh Aethar, Commander of the Black Navy and captain of the Black Ark Inevitable Doom. Draknir Reaverblade is my son.”
Last edited by Draknir on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Morvai
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Morvai »

Great story. Tharkyn is getting himself in trouble so it seems. :lol:
Masters of Mischief (NC background)
The Black Blades (DE). W: 2 D: 2 L: 1
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

Not necessarily. If Tharkyn can speak himself out of trouble (as always- two thousand years of Druchii politics could make anyone insane, but Tharkyn is as sharp as ever) Lord Admiral Draketh might spare him.

Here's this interesting thing that Draknir doesn't know that his father is alive, not even that his father is a highborn who actually commands the whole navy (including Draknir's ark) in war. Draketh is the captain of one of the three great Black Arks of Clar Karond and he is the one who Malekith trusts in situations of naval battle.

In games I use Draknir as a noble, to up to two thousand points when a highborn comes in- Draketh.

I might even write that Draketh comes to the Old World to help his long-lost son.
Morvai

Post by Morvai »

Draknir Helgar wrote:Not necessarily. If Tharkyn can speak himself out of trouble (as always- two thousand years of Druchii politics could make anyone insane, but Tharkyn is as sharp as ever) Lord Admiral Draketh might spare him.

Draketh might, but the witchking doesn’t like to wait. :twisted:

How long has Draketh been one of the three lord of Clar Karond. For Morvai use to be one of them too (He lost the influence needed to hold his position when he used his Ark to create Vikarh). So they might know each other.
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

The Inevitable Doom has been under the command of Draketh's family for several centuries. The house hasn't always carried the name Reaverblade, for before that they were part of the Drachau family of Clar Karond (House Kaldan). The Kaldan house didn't have a heir, so the Ark and lordship were carried to the closest relatives- the Reaverblades. Draketh uses mostly the name Aethar in public, which is Drukh-Eltharin's closest equivalent for 'Reaverblade.' that's the main reason that Draknir doesn't know abut his father.

Let's see; Draknir is little over thousand years old, and Draketh left shortly before Draknir's birth. That time Draketh was very modest corsair (he fell in love with a beastmaster's apprentice afterall) but he was still the heir of Drachau of Clar Karond and he left to the seas to forget his adventure. But his past caught him and he inherited the Ark about nine hundred years ago (when the former Drachau died)

It is very possible that he knows Morvai if they were in command at the same time.
Last edited by Draknir on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

Lord Draketh had to bow a little to enter Tharkyn’s office. He was massively built for an Elf, almost one and half head taller than his companions, and his muscles were strong of the level of the mightiest chaos warriors. Huge, wickedly barbed Draich hung from his belt, along with three more different-size blades. Four swords! Tharkyn had seen such amount of blades only on the Royal Chamberlain and the Drachaus. But Draketh was indeed one of the lords of Clar Karond, and worthy to carry them as a mark of his status. ”I didn’t know that you had a son, mylord.”, Tharkyn said and sat behind his desk. ”Nor that Draknir had a father. What can I do for you, mylord?” Lord Draketh looked around and sat to a seat that obviously seemed too small for the giant elf. His right eye was covered by a steel patch, and long scars traced all over his face. Tharkyn tried not to stare the lord’s intimidating face.

”So it was you who sent him to the Old World, am I right, counsellor?” Draketh asked. ”Yes, indeed. Somehow I got the impression that you were surprised when your son’s name was mentioned in the Council, mylord?”Tharkyn asked politely. ”I hadn’t heard of him after I left him to his mother’s caress almost ten centuries ago. The issue was quite… sensitive, if you as a politician understand, for the heir of such mighty family as mine. I have to admit that I tried to forget the issue. But now I hear my long-lost son is an Admiral…” Draketh explained. Tharkyn listened carefully. Draketh’s tone changed quickly. ”Why did you do it, Counsellor?” he asked. ”As I said, to spy around the Old World and to inform about the actions of the rebellions”, Tharkyn answered quickly. ”Somehow I doubt that, counsellor”, Draketh said. ”Your power has been weakened recently. You have done nothing to be noticed. That’s unusual from you. I can remember when you were ready to do anything for the office of yours. And now there is a crown, mighty enough to raise armies, and you say you are not interested in it. If I were in your position, I would try to catch it. You seem like you were… hiding.”

Tharkyn couldn’t understand how lord Draketh could see straight through him. He tried to save what could be saved. ”That was indeed the thought in the back of my mind, and I informed Admiral about the crown. ’If you get your hands onto it, bring it here.’ That’s how I said. I would do anything to regain my power, Lord Admiral.” Draketh seemed to suspect, but rose up from his chair and drew to his full height. He was the last person Tharkyn would want to fight. ”You have my thanks for this little chit-chat, counsellor. I desperately want to meet my son. Do you have any ideas of where he could be at the moment?” ”I have no idea, mylord.” ”What a shame that. You should know. I suppose that the mirror you have in your closet could show that. Now, have a nice day, counsellor.” Draketh said and left the room. Tharkyn was confused. How? How did he know that? Tharkyn had to check his Mirror and tried to find the closet’s key from his pocket. No key! Lord Draketh, that old scoundrel! His corsair skills seemed to be still in very good shape. Tharkyn collapsed to his chair. This will mean trouble.

Draknir sat in the cabin of the Reaver ship. Shipmaster Sthel-Dar studied charts next to him. ”It seems that if we attempt to get to river Delb, we have to sail past Altdorf, admiral. The humans have strong firepower on their side. Do you think they will let us pass?” ”I don’t think, I know they won’t let us pass”, Admiral answered and sipped wine from a bone goblet. Ahh. Winter Wine of Clar Karond. ”Do you have a plan, Admiral?” ”Not yet. Relax, shipmaster. I will invent something… on time” Draknir said and took a long gulp. Sthel-Dar frowned- he seemed to take a lot of stress- and left to see the deck.
Last edited by Draknir on Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

So Draknir sails along the Reik. Is someone else of the captains taking the same route and who Draknir could bump into?
Morvai

Post by Morvai »

Every captain registered for the Howling Heights takes that route (except maybe lethalis, haven’t heard from him yet). The rally-points are the Cursed Marches and the coast of Marienburg.
Most of them came just behind me. So if our part is finished you can easily do a part about Soupman or Ranieth. Soupman came with an Ark after me. Ranieth sailed between both of us with a small reaver vessel.
You could even tell something about a make shift camp in the Marches. Possibilities are endless. :lol:

nice story, by the way.
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

Right then. Morvai and Soupman had propably have to drop anchors in the coast for the river has no chance of fitting an Ark (no questions about three!) so that Ranieth might have gone first to the River. Draknir is propably going to have some dealings with Ranieth (for I still haven't invented how to get past Altdorf!)
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

Here's some introduction to meeting with Ranieth Bloodheart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sthel-Dar peered to the river. Mist was hanging over the ship caravan that slowly, but steadily, emerged towards their goal. There wasn’t even a trace of wind, and the slaves in the oars had to work hard. He saw another ship, as black as theirs, to sail further in the river. ”Sails ahoy!” Sthel-Dar shouted, and his shout was quickly answered with a pistol shot from the another ship. Draknir stepped to the deck after hearing the shot. The projectile had sunk deep into Sthel-Dars sea dragon cloak- fortunately to one particularly thick scale. ”I know no elves that would use blackpowder weapons”, Admiral said and peered to the ship. It was certainly a Druchii ship, but pistols…?

Lord Ranieth Bloodheart stepped to the deck of his own ship and stopped the raising pistol hand of his retainer. ”Don’t use that, will you?” Lord Bloodheart said strictly. ”Those vessels don’t belong to our enemies. Is it Lord Blackblade or who?” He asked. ”The ships fly the colours of admiral Reaverblade, mylord. I don’t think they are driven by hostile purposes.” ”You see? Don’t shoot anyone who just glances you.” Lord Ranieth was about to leave, but added: ”Nice shot by the way.”
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Whats with the new name?

Gentleman of Moderation
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

What do you mean?

Did you read this? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=50574
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

Ranieth’s ship halted and let Admiral’s vessel to slip next to it. Draknir’s corsairs set a gangplank between the ships and Draknir stepped to the deck of Ranieth’s ship with his personal retinue. Lord Ranieth Bloodheart emerged from his quarters, the highborn’s arrogancy still as noble as it was before the great deception that had fallen upon his house. His second-in-command had betrayed lord Bloodheart and his most loyal men for the name of the Cult of Pleasure and driven him to exile from his home. His gold-trimmed armour was covered by a stained grey cloak, and he wanted to look noble while obviously keeping low profile. Draknir had to respect Ranieth, for he still brimmed over with defiance and dignity, even though he had sailed secretly on a neglected ship.

”Admiral Reaverblade. What brings you to these distant lands?” he asked. ”I was about to ask the captain of the ship until I saw you, mylord. I have indeed heard of the misery that has fallen over you.” Ranieth glared at Draknir, but didn’t see any contempt in admiral’s eye. ”I almost hoped that you weren’t, but propably you understand me better when you do. Please, follow me, will you.” Ranieth said and escorted Draknir to his cabin.

The cabin was small, but definitely tidier than Draknir’s quarters on the Ark. Lord Ranieth escorted Draknir to have a seat and offered a glass of wine. ”No thank you. I have taken enough for this day.” Draknir presumed that Ranieth would pour a glass to himself, but instead he closed the bottle into a closet. ”We don’t have too much of this, you know. So, are you heading to where?” Ranieth asked. ”Into the Howling Heights. I had a thought if I would investigate the old mines where the crown was first found”, Draknir said and examined a group of sculptures that were set in a straight line on a shelf. ”I can’t understand how the Crown is so famed. But, I was heading to the same area. Propably we should go the same route. What were you planning, Admiral?” Ranieth asked. ”I would have turned to River Delb, but to do that we would have to get past Altdorf without having a surprise shipload of cannonballs. I know this isn't your first visit to the Empire. Do you have any ideas, mylord?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ranieth, you should propably invent an answer me, for I really don't know!
Morvai

Post by Morvai »

You could do the same unoriginal thing I’m doing.
I’m going to cloak my ship with shadow magic and sail past altdorf in the dead of night. That way I should remain unnoticed.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Hey they are called black arks, in the middle of the knight I would have thought it might be tricky to spot with no magic involved. Though any smuglers out on the river might be in for a suprise.

P.S No I hadn't read that Draknir, fair enough.

Gentleman of Moderation
Ranieth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ranieth »

Well either painting the ships white and pretend to be asur or keep 'em black and hope to slip by unnoticed by night. Myself I'd probably go for dragging them on land for a bit during the night, the ship rolling on logs :) . My knowledge of imperial geography is a tad limited though, so that could be impossible. Naturally Lord Bloodheart's knowledge isn't, but mine is :p
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Thats even more notisable and slower to boot shorly?

Gentleman of Moderation
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

Well, Naghlír is indeed a Shadow Sorcerer (he has had to steal his study material from the Imperial Colleges, preferably from the Grey College) so the cloaking trick might work, but Draknir has a big convoy of Reavers and Naghlír has only enough experience of cloaking himself ;)

I have access to both Empire armybook and O&G armybook (both my brothers collect WHFB too) so I know the local geography quite well. If you try to take a shortcut past Altdorf on dry ground, it's about 15-50 miles of dragging ships through thick forest (the distance depends on how surely you want to get unnoticed past the city)

So the only reasonable option for us is to slip by night and hope the guards are lazy.

This is fantasy, of course, so actually everything is possible :lol:
Ranieth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ranieth »

In my opinion, cloaking the boats and just sailing past isn't a very good idea. I'd almost go as far as calling it a tad boring. Myself I'd rather have it that we abandoned the ships and walked than cloaking them.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Just send your shades and assasins ashore first, get them into position to silance any gaurds who might sound the alarm. For example there are bound to be some beakans designed for this ver purpose and if the gaurds all die before they light it...

Gentleman of Moderation
Ranieth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ranieth »

Well, that'd probably be lots of guards considering we're passing by Altdorf. And my guess is that the area is decently well lighted up too.

Okay, how about we just sail past and hope for the best?

Edit: New idea! Since Karl Franz wants this crown so bad, he would probably have hired some mercenaries of some kind, scouts or whatever to fight for him. We could perhaps pretend to be mercenaries and sail past or something in the line of that?