Howdy!

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Darktrix
Slave (off the Altar)

Howdy!

Post by Darktrix »

Hi Everyone,

Gotta say great forum you have here and great community! I've been lurking in the shadows for a while and think it's time i come forward!

I used to play Warhammer Fantasy many moons ago in my early teens. I decided recently that i'd love to build the army i always wanted back then. The awesome Dark Elves!

I look forward to meeting you all. Sharing experiences, tips and general talk!

I'm off down to GW HQ in Nottingham later to grab my new codex and possibly first units! Still not 100% sure where to start so maybe Hero and some paints to get going! Excited!

Hope your all having fun!

Darktrix
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Re: Howdy!

Post by direweasel »

Hey, welcome to the club.

If I were you, and just starting a new army from scratch, I think I'd buy a single basic box of warriors, and make Darkshards out of them, along with the paints. That way, you can test out some color schemes and ideas, and if there are some that don't come out just the way you want, no big deal. The character minis get more attention than a crossbowman in the 2nd row, so wait until you have a pretty solid idea of your army's theme and color palette before you do one.

That's how I'd do it. YMMV. :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Darktrix
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Darktrix »

Thanks for the tip! I have been lookign at colour schemes since i first posted. I think your right, Characters are goign to be stared at by me too haha.

Any tips on starting paints or is this still purely down to preference? I've narrowed it down to a few different colour schemes. The majority of them involving pale skin and red/iceyblue/purple offsets ( this will depend on lore i read in the codex) and black clothing. As you said i want to try a few out.

I managed to pick up a starter hobbyist GW kit off ebay the other day which is on its way so i have some very basic colours (bulk of which i probably won't use). Last time i painted was when the pots were hexagons!

PS. I can move this psot elsewhere if this is the wrong area!
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Well, most dark elf armies feature heavily into reds, purples, and metals. But that is by no means the only way to do them, You can look at the army book for tons of neat ideas, and on here at everyone's PLOGs. Those would be a great place to go.

The base paints I happen to use for my army feature P3's Sanguine Base (a really really deep red that I think is my favorite paint color EVER) and Midlund Flesh (a skin ton), GW's Naggaroth Night (purple), and Boltgun Metal (silver), with different shades for highlights and shadows. But again, that's just one of many options. That's why I suggest you start with a basic plastic guy and try out a few things to see what you like before diving in head-first with a character.

Hope that helps. :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Hi and welcome to the forum
Good to see lurkers come forward and post. We don't bite, well Witches elf might. :)
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Welcome :)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Darktrix
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Darktrix »

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone :) I took the plunge yesterday and ended up buying a lot more than I intended. I think I got the bug again already!

Bought a box of darkshards, a sorceress with staff and have a repeater crossbow on the way on Monday. Also the army book 10 paints (although I think I need more already :S) brushes etc. So all set to go!

Think my perfectionist is coming out again lol took me 2 hours to prep and glue 2 xbowmen yesterday. Enjoyed every minute too. Can't stand mould lines!

Can't wait to get painting!
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Darktrix wrote:Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone :) I took the plunge yesterday and ended up buying a lot more than I intended. I think I got the bug again already!

The first step is admitting the problem. :)