In and out of WHFB, now The End Times are bringing me back..

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Phenatix
Slave on the Altar

In and out of WHFB, now The End Times are bringing me back..

Post by Phenatix »

Hello all, I'm thinking about getting back into Warhammer Fantasy and this time I think I'll hop on with the Druchii.

I originally got into it near the end of 7th edition (a couple of years before 8th came out I think) with some Wood Elves. My local game store had some rough times shortly after, losing most of the staff, and I stepped away from Warhammer for a while. I tried getting back into WHFB with Vampire Counts some time later (not sure when, but before the VC 8th Edition book came out) but that never really took off.

Now that I'm a bit older and finally have some money, I find myself drawn back to GW's plastic crack.

The End Times supplements have been putting out some killer models, and the rumors (and pictures) of a combined all-elf army list sound great. So that's about it. I'd like to get into Dark Elves, and I'm thinking of starting with some Witch Elves soon.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: In and out of WHFB, now The End Times are bringing me ba

Post by Calisson »

Welcome Phenatix to D.net! :)

The End Times certainly created a buzz.
However, most people will NOT play End Times scenarios, either because they did not buy ET books (costing 50 to 70€ and in exceeding short supply) or because they do not like the cheesy rules coming along.
Nevertheless, the End Times are supposed to pave the way to WH 9th edition, so many people speculate that in a close future, all Elves factions will be merged into a single one. Needless to say, there are many DE, HE and WE players who resent bitterly this major change of fluff.

In a few words, despite End Times, there is going to be a strong gamers' support for DE... which will last only until it fades for combined Elves.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Hello and welcome.
Phenatix
Slave on the Altar

Post by Phenatix »

Calisson wrote:Welcome Phenatix to D.net! :)

The End Times certainly created a buzz.
However, most people will NOT play End Times scenarios, either because they did not buy ET books (costing 50 to 70€ and in exceeding short supply) or because they do not like the cheesy rules coming along.
Nevertheless, the End Times are supposed to pave the way to WH 9th edition, so many people speculate that in a close future, all Elves factions will be merged into a single one. Needless to say, there are many DE, HE and WE players who resent bitterly this major change of fluff.

In a few words, despite End Times, there is going to be a strong gamers' support for DE... which will last only until it fades for combined Elves.

The incredibly limited supply of ET materials is rather surprising to me. Honestly I don't understand GW's approach there, but alas, I am not a businessperson.

To me, so many armylists has never made sense. I would much rather have a combined 'Elves' faction book with all the units, characters, and rules for every elf faction all in a single book. From there players can assemble themed lists however they like. For instance: there must be some archers, who are also Dark Elves, who could be represented with the rules used for Waywatchers. Until now, if you wanted that, you had to play WE.

Fantasy has always been more accepting to comp systems than 40k (until recently? I don't know how they handled unbound lists...) so I am not too worried about balance issues.