Guidelines to posting (read second!)

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Guidelines to posting (read second!)

Post by Ansob. »

Hi, and welcome to Druchii.net's History of the Druchii forum. This is the forum where all things fluffy should go; this includes anything from stories (shorts and on-going ones) to army backgrounds.

Before you do anything, you should make sure you've read the forum rules and relevant links announcement situated one or two threads above this sticky. Once you've read that, I have a few guidelines for you. It's in everyone's general interest that you abide by them, so please bear with me. :)

1. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and other such things

Please make an effort to use proper spelling, grammar and punctuation in any post you make (this applies to Druchii.net as a whole, but this forum in particular). If you don't know English that well, you can always download OpenOffice - an excellent freeware works suite - and use the one it includes.

1337speak and general mutilation of the English language will not be tolerated, and will generally result in your post getting outright deleted, no matter its intrinsic value.

Please also make an effort to paragraph your posts, especially when posting long pieces of text that people are expected to read in a single setting. Remember, indents don't work on phpBB boards - use two returns instead. Multiple posts in a row will also be tolerated (contrary to other parts of d.net) provided they're a benefit to us all - i.e., help make your work more readable.

2. Back your claims up with official sources

It doesn't matter how old it is - fluff is fluff. Very little of Warhammer's fluff changes drastically over the years, and you'll probably find most people who know of it much prefer the older background to the newer one. This is why you should always backup your claims with actual official sources (WFRP manuals, out-of-production Black Library books or rulebooks for games no longer supported by GW work, just like the current army book and all the prior ones; though it's recommended that you use the 5th Ed. or earlier army book for actual information, as the 6th Ed. one is a joke in terms of quantity).

If you don't have anything to back up your claims, at least warn us that that's the case at the beginning of your post. Unfounded claims can be very interesting (especially when searching the fluff reveals points in support of what started out as a mere fantasy), but you should still warn your readers if you know you might be completely wrong.

3. Tell us how badly you want criticism

This particular part of Druchii.net has a lot of people who know a lot about their favourite part of the Hobby - fluff, or background. Don't expect people to be shy about things if you post something which is totally unfounded or very badly written. As such, it would be best if you mentioned how much critique you actually want for something (if none, though, there isn't much point in you posting it on the Internet). Being the good sport that you are, you're expected to take the critique and act on it, just because you asked for it in the first place. Asking for critique and then refusing it is viewed is somewhat akin to looking a proverbial gift horse in the mouth. By the way, if you don't mention how much critique you want, we'll assume we have free reign to tear your ideas apart. :P

Try to remember that regardless of the comments made on what you wrote, no one is attacking you personally. We here take fluff as fact, and any deviation is usually swiftly suppressed by one of the patrolling fluff nazis/gurus (depending on your point of view). This doesn't mean that Druchii.net hates you and that the whole world is out to get you; merely that you should try again. After all, practice makes perfect.

So there; I hope that these guidelines can help make the History forum a better place for all of us to post in. Feel free to post in here with any questions you might have, or to send me a PM (that little button at the bottom of this post which says "PM"), and I'll do my best to answer you.
Last edited by Ansob. on Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
General Kala wrote:
Cenyu wrote:Hail to the King, baby.
All my eloquence fails to express it as well as this.
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

Thanks for posting this ANSOB, I hope the posters will take it to heart. I just wanted to add something pertaining to how to give a critique and answer questions. For example, a simple yes or no to a question such as: "Is Furion immortal?" accomplishes next-to nothing. Saying yes then giving the reason why this is so is entirely more productive and you'll be helping to truly expand someones knowledge of Dark Elf fluff (not to mention possibly mentioning something that might spark an interesting discussion).

Also, when giving a critique don't just say "I did/didn't like it" and leave the author to wonder why. Explain why you did/didn't enjoy the piece. This gives the author something to build on and you might alert someone else to something that you've missed. Typing out some of your thoughts doesn't take too long and it creates a better enviroment IMO.

Here's a good example of what I was talking about: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=41964 (I hope Raziel02 won't mind I'm using his thread as an example) Everyone here was giving the author sound advice based on what they know of the official fluff.

Just my thoughts.
Druchii Discussion and History mod

Behind every mask, is a man
who can't live in his own skin.
He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Yup, good additions indeed, Fingol. Here, have a cookie for your troubles. :P
General Kala wrote:
Ansob.
Follower of Malal

Post by Ansob. »

Another tip:

Edit your quotes. Having to read through someone else's already long post in addition to yours is extremely annoying. Only quote relevant bits, or if the whole post is relevant, pick a paragraph that you feel is synthetic of the post's content.
General Kala wrote:
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

I haven't had to make a big deal about this before, but now I feel I must - Do not double post! If you happen to be posting a story you've written and wish to split it up into two or three posts because it's extremely long, then be my guest. However, if you find you have an additional thought you wish to add to a discussion EDIT your first post. If you accidently post the same thing twice, DELETE one of them.

Normal members have the ability to both edit and delete their own posts. It is their duty as posters in the History forum to try and keep clutter to a minimum by having the courtesy to not double post. I don't expect this to be a continuous problem.
Druchii Discussion and History mod

Behind every mask, is a man
who can't live in his own skin.
He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins