background in the new army book

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Allhailthemachine
Trainee Warrior

background in the new army book

Post by Allhailthemachine »

Is anyone else disappointed at how druchii background is depicted in the new army book.

Yes there are some nice extra details on the cynthari pantheon, bit more about what happened when Malekith was missing in the realm of chaos, as well as more about the recent antics of some of the special characters in the book. However the time line now misses out many interesting entries that it had before, there are less imports about dark elf culture from the Darkblades books th before, and despite getting upgraded to a lord there is nothing even referring to Malus's excapades at all.

How do you guys feel druchii background is served by the new book?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: background in the new army book

Post by Calisson »

Here is the evolution I perceived throughout 3 editions.
Note: page count exclude pics, and is approximate, adding half or quarter pages when appropriate.

History
was short in 6th edition (5 pages),
became very long in 7th edition (23 pages) with nice emphasis on corsair tales,
has been shortened in 8th edition (17 pages, still somehow boring), dropping all side tales and concentrating more on DE vs HE perpetual war.

At present, I feel it is too much concentrated on the eternel fight DE vs HE, I miss the exploration and plundering of the world in 7th edition spirit.
However, Malekith & Morathi personnalities are much more interesting than before, with feelings that evolve somehow surprisingly.

Geography
was too short in 6th edition (2 pages),
went longer in 7th (6 pages)
and became even slightly more detailed in 8th (6 pages still) with a smaller map but more detailed, and one more page of text.

This is definitively a great success of present edition.

Generic fluff
It used to be predominant in 6th edition (19 pages) with stories from the victims and many details about Druchii society. Slaanesh became part of the fluff, especially with the download revision where Morathi was a priestress of Slaanesh.
There was much less fluff in 7th edition (7.5 pages), more generic about the society and introduction of the pantheon. Slaanesh was less important, corsair fluff improved.
It has been further decreased in 8th edition (5.5 pages), the pantheon grows in detail, at the expense of Druchii society description. Surprisingly, Slaanesh cult was changed to Slaanesh doom in post mortem lore. Allusions about incestuous relationship between Malekith and Morathi have been removed.

What remains of Druchii society description is less about hatred and more about a predatory mentality, which I like better. DE are shown as a race on the rise.
I like a lot the pantheon, but I am glad I still have the old books, that is so precious for role playing. I miss the side stories explaining DE fluff.

Unit's fluff
It had some detail in 6th edition with 19 pages for 26 entries
it became much more detailed in 7th edition with 30 pages for 30 entries
but was quite reduced in 8th edition with 27 pages for 40 entries.

What we have dropped in detail, we have gained in variety.
Khaine is constrained to an important part, but fortunately not predominant.
Sisters and beastmasters show a dominance mentality rather purely annihilation.
Sadly, corsair fluff and shade fluff has been much decreased.

Overall,
I feel that there is too much history and not enough small stories which would describe Druchii society.
I am very satisfied with the orientation which is less about killing and blind hatred and more about dominance and predation.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Clockwork
Highborn

Re: background in the new army book

Post by Clockwork »

Calisson wrote:Here is the evolution I perceived throughout 3 editions.
Note: page count exclude pics, and is approximate, adding half or quarter pages when appropriate.

History
was short in 6th edition (5 pages),
became very long in 7th edition (23 pages) with nice emphasis on corsair tales,
has been shortened in 8th edition (17 pages, still somehow boring), dropping all side tales and concentrating more on DE vs HE perpetual war.

At present, I feel it is too much concentrated on the eternel fight DE vs HE, I miss the exploration and plundering of the world in 7th edition spirit.
However, Malekith & Morathi personnalities are much more interesting than before, with feelings that evolve somehow surprisingly.

Yeah, I'd share this criticism - especially as, once again, space is lost to talking about how amazing Tyrion and Teclis are. Yawn.

I did enjoy the boxes about Druchii views on death, the soul, enlistment and so on.