9th Edition Rumours

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

9th Edition Rumours

Post by Amboadine »

Thought it would be worth having a separate thread for 9th Edition rumours.
Currently there are many kicking around different threads, but thought it would be better to have one thread to discuss them and keep them contained.

There was a sizeable rumour post on Warseer today that I thought was worth sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikitlagriffe View Post
Courage and forbearance to all lovers of Battle.
I summarized here everything I lately collected, and you seem to ignore or misinterpret. I am not paid by anyone to deceive you. I’m the most confident about aesthetic and visual questions, and about skaven stuff. Friendly.

Anyone who wants to know what there is in V9 has to imagine that this is the V8 ; it will be 90% right.
Rule changes have been made to stabilize and streamline some points, particularly at the formation units and their interaction with the characters, from what I was told.
About the armies that follow (“factions” J ) : they won’t be "bundling" of existing armies, but almost all new prospects. These are all new units with an aesthetic different from what we knew and new historic lines, new characters, we could almost consider some of them as new “races”. Nevertheless, each new release will be integrated into one or more pre-existent conventional armies. Some new units, for example, will just belong to “Forces of Order” or “Forces of Destruction”. No stress. You can keep your old collection (all your collection), and enjoy with it.
V9 will not be just one book, but a box with other things such as a volume focused on two types of battles : clashes "lord of battles "in standard format creating links between games, and smaller battles with “pre-organised” armies (that's what you took for a skirmish game I think).
About this “skirmish” game: I’m not completely sure about that : this has taken many different forms over the settings but it seems to be one of the most tested aspects in recent years by GW teams. It is not intended to be the main way to play Battle. Currently, forces will be selected from a list of predefined choices, more restrained that the currents army books, without worrying percentage points, points themselves will not so important anymore: it will be destabilizing for the old players, but the number of miniatures contained in a unit or its point value could be no longer as important as before in this system. Players would have the choice to comply or not the points. A book will summarize the possible choices for all existing armies. It was thought just for fun, and almost all special rules of existing models could be ignored because of it.
About round bases : there would be a misunderstanding at this level too. Some Warhammer miniatures will indeed now sold on round bases, but it’s the consequence of some simplified rules and not a transition to a new system, or 40k-like, or I don’t know what. No link with the new “skirmish game”. The elements attached to units will be on round base (as skaven regimental weapons or dark elves cauldron of blood for example, but also characters according to pictures I’ve seen), are no longer joined the unit but move next to, and may have a round or oval base. But if your old version is not on a round base, you can still play with, no problem.
About “waiting” armies : for the bretonnians, there is a book that will follow this year, but perhaps we can’t call this “army book” because it will be very different from what you had until then. It will be closer from the End Times books recently issued. There will be in it new units, which could join the Forces of Order, and very close from a Bretonnian army, but not only. For the Skavens, the amount of new stuff approaching is just unprecedented (although I have no visibility on dates). It won’t be really “skavens” as we knew them, but a sort of evolution type very nice and inspired. No merger with Chaos for them (anyway, no merger for anyone!). About Beastmen, they don’t have directly the same processing, to the best of my knowledge, but no doubt they will benefit from a wealth of new opportunities for chaos. I had no evidence that it’s matter of squatting them, nor nobody else.
The quantity of new stuff for Battle will be just incredible, if all that is planed comes out. New releases will be essentially new entries, unique monsters, characters, and elite units of 2 to 5 figures. This will change progressively the overall appearance of the armies, with fewer miniatures (but larger). There will always be a place for large infantry units; however I don’t have a precise view of the new rules, that's why I can’t say if it will always be interesting to play big infantry units, or not.

or broken down a little more clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post

9th edition will be 90% the same as 8th edition.
The new 'Factions' will not be made up from the existing armies but new armies.
(Or they will look so different from the existing armies they might as well be new armies)
These new armies will be made from new units/characters
The new units will have a very different aesthetic from existing miniatures.
The new units can be used by one or more of the existing armies.
OR can just be used as units for generic 'Forces of order' Or forces of destruction' armies.
I can keep my "OLD COLLECTION"
(AKA Brand new army I just dropped a ton of cash on ... Thanks for that!!! )
... but don't expect any new miniatures for a while?
9th Edition will get a boxed set.
In the box will be a rule book? Or a book that links the game in the box to the main rule book / a skirmish Rule book / and a Warhammer armies book.
The warhammer armies book will have a limited army list for each faction.
There is a points system.
But it is not compulsory (So you can pick 'X' number of characters/units from the selection)
Skirmish is not intended to be the main way to play Warhammer ... but an alternative.
This will be a simple starter game without a lot of complex special rules. An introductory game.
Some fantasy miniatures will be supplied on round bases due to rules changes
... but not all.... just skirmishing units and units attached to ranked units?
...and big Warmachines?
Characters will be on round bases. (Or oval bases for cavalry)
... and so characters can no longer join ranked up units.
I do not need to re-base my existing characters to use them.
Round bases are nothing to do with the new skirmish game.
You don't know what is going on with round bases.
Bretonnians will not get a new army book and will not get any new units.
There will be some units which are a bit like Bretonnians in a new 'Forces of order' book
Loads of stuff coming for Skaven but you don't know when.
New skaven stuff will not look like the existing Skaven stuff but an evolution. (I think we can see where they are going looking at the recent stuff)
Beastmen ... future is uncertain but you guess they will find a place in Chaos.
Lots of new stuff to come for Fantasy.
Most stuff will be new units monsters or characters.
Elite units will be smaller 2-5 minis.
Look of armies will change.
Smaller armies with less miniatures and more big stuff.
No information about new rules.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: 9th Edition Rumours

Post by Daeron »

It seems half the earlier rumours are dispelled.
With this rumour dump, I'm a bit surprised at how self-contradictory the authors behave. They seem to be dumped with an urgency and apocalyptic tone that screams attention, but claim it's not about attention, drama, deception. They never take the time to properly write out what they saw, then complain about being misunderstood.

For supposedly "insider" information, the information seems to be seriously fragmented as if they listened in to some presentation of the changes, but could only make out 1 word out of 5. And when they tried to explain what they saw, they ran it through a program that also deletes one word out of 5.

Both sources cover a lot of different aspects of the game, as if somehow they had an overview of what's to come but then completely fail to bring that overview.
This one is a brilliant example:
Lots of new stuff to come for Fantasy.
Most stuff will be new units monsters or characters.
Elite units will be smaller 2-5 minis.
Look of armies will change.
Smaller armies with less miniatures and more big stuff.
No information about new rules.

Might as well state that a bakery will have pies, some with cream, some with colour, and some of them will be sweet and they'll all look different from the pies of yesterday.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I agree, very conflicting, but thought it was worth sharing for info.
I think we really will not know more until only a few weeks out from release.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

When do you reckon the release will be?
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Seems to point at Summer. Apparently there are some big 40K releases first, Ad Mech in May, then 30K Horus Heresy box set.
I would speculate on all previous edition releases that it is typically July.

No real clue though.
Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

An amount of this seems to make great sense from a GW maximising profit to effort viewpoint.

I have my Dark Elves, you have your Chaos and Billy has Wood Elves. GW release Big Elf Monster and me and Billy can both buy it (with the rules in the box). GW release Big Bad Guys Monster and me and you can both buy it (with the rules in the box). There is more sales cross-over and less pirating as we want the model and the in-the-box rules.
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

The skaven seems to go along with the rumors my local Hobby shop seems to bekeive, that they won't be in the next one but if this new evelution takes place how much of the old will remain (like the mix between lovecraftian horror and legitamet terror and humor the army is known for, as well as quantety having its own qualety with some smaller heavy units?
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

The writing is quite weak, so I may have misunderstood, but from what I read it looks like from 15 or so armies we will end up with two: good ("The Forces of Order") and bad ("The forces of Destruction"). I hazard that this might end up being three, with the addition of an unaligned group ("The Forces of Neutrality"?)

While the fluff idea could be quite fun (Tolkien-esque either), they would need to regulate it quite heavily for the game to be balanced. Sadly, it looks like they are going more and more down the "just field whatever you have" route, 40k apocalypse style, which will end up with very unbalanced battles as people turn up with unit type spam ("Catapult Rush!"). Fun times.

To be honest, a lot of the reassurances that the rumour providers seem to be offering up appear to be more an indication of GW adopting a staggered approach. With round bases, for example, they are saying "we'll only introduce them for some models...right now", which will then, presumably, ease us gently into a system where round and square bases exist alongside one another, before they gradually phase out square bases altogether.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

Red... wrote:While the fluff idea could be quite fun (Tolkien-esque either), they would need to regulate it quite heavily for the game to be balanced. Sadly, it looks like they are going more and more down the "just field whatever you have" route, 40k apocalypse style, which will end up with very unbalanced battles as people turn up with unit type spam ("Catapult Rush!"). Fun times.

Which might mean that they intend to introduce Objective Card equivalents and all that come with them (unbound armies, etc), so the change from 8th to 9th could be similar to the 6th to 7th of 40k. Not really sure that would work with the more limited manoeuvrability in Fantasy, but I'm just guessing anyway.
Still Serving Slaanesh
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Tournaments have been including "missions" for some time though, and increasingly recently. The main issue is in making infantry viable, as mobile scoring units become even more dominant than they are now.
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

Well simply stating that the unit with the most ranks caps the objective or that your range of capping increases for each SCR you have should work right? :?:
but I understand what you mean
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Yes, that would work and indeed very well.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Scenarios would fit with the moves towards round bases and skirmishing units. Yes, it would be difficult for a square based ranked up infantry units with 90' forward facing arcs to seize objectives in obscure locations around the board, but dispersed round based skirmishers with no set facing (360' degree arc) would have no problem. Of course, the major problem with this is that we are going to be moving into the realm of playing 40k using Fantasy models - I don't like it, but it seems increasingly probable. Rumours about scenarios are just further proof of this shift.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Ryank
Trainee Warrior

9th Edition Rumours

Post by Ryank »

And Earlybird chimes in:

from the horse mouth

factions :

1) Chaos : Demons + Beasts + Mortals
2) Elves
3) Empire
4) Undead
5) Orcs and Goblins
6) Skavens

Lizards are gone in space.
Dwarves survivors join the empire with the ogres.

1) Chaos core : Warriors of chaos/chariot/Hounds
Demons figs will be kept as they are usable in 40k
Bye bye marauders, ungors, centigors, razorgor etc

2) Elves core : spearmen/archers/cavalry on horse
No more xbows
the 3 elves will blend in one faction
dark elves monsters are gone : cold ones, hydra

3) Empire core: Hallberds/Handgun/Canon
Some dwarves survivors and ogres are included
Imperial and bretonnian knights are merged

4) Undead core : Skeletons/Ghouls/Spirit host
bye bye bone giant, scorpion sphinx, chariots and everything too much egyptian

5) Orcs and goblins core : Goblins/Orcs/Black orcs
no real change for them

6) Skaven core : Clanrats/Plague rats/Rat ogres
no real change for them too
Ryank
Trainee Warrior

Re: 9th ?!?!

Post by Ryank »

9th edition will be 90% the same as 8th edition YES, ABOUT RULES, SAME OPINION FROM 2 DIFFERENT SOURCES.
The new 'Factions' ...
...will look so different from the existing armies they might as well be new armies YES
These new armies will be made from new units/characters MAJORITY YES
The new units will have a very different aesthetic from existing miniatures. 200% YES
The new units can be used by one or more of the existing armies. YES
OR can just be used as units for generic 'Forces of order' Or forces of destruction' armies. NO
I can keep my "OLD COLLECTION" YES
... but don't expect any new miniatures for a while? I CAN'T SAY THAT FROM WHAT I KNOW BUT LIKELY DEDUCTION
9th Edition will get a boxed set.I HEARD ABOUT A BOX OF BOOKS
In the box will be a rule book? YES
a skirmish Rule book YES / and a Warhammer armies book NOT EXACTLY : but a listing of playable units or pre-constructed groups YES.
The warhammer armies book will have a limited army list for each faction. YES, but I HAD NO INFORMATION ABOUT "FACTIONS"(and this number of "6" ??), so I would say "for each army".
There is a points system. YES
But it is not compulsory (So you can pick 'X' number of characters/units from the selection) SOMETHING LIKE THAT.
Skirmish is not intended to be the main way to play Warhammer ... but an alternative. YES
This will be a simple starter game without a lot of complex special rules. An introductory game. YES
Some fantasy miniatures will be supplied on round bases due to rules changes YES
... but not all.... just skirmishing units DON'T KNOW and units attached to ranked units? YES
...and big Warmachines? ATTACHED TO RANKED UNITS YES
Characters will be on round bases. (Or oval bases for cavalry) YES
... and so characters can no longer join ranked up units. PERSONAL DEDUCTION, BUT YES
I do not need to re-base my existing characters to use them YES - two times confirmed
Round bases are nothing to do with the new skirmish game YES.
You don't know what is going on with round bases EXPLAINED BY MINOR CHANGES OF RULES, FROM WHAT I KNOW.
Bretonnians will not get a new army book and will not get any new units STRICTLY SPEAKING YES
There will be some units which are a bit like Bretonnians in a new 'Forces of order' book YES
Loads of stuff coming for Skaven but you don't know when. YES
New skaven stuff will not look like the existing Skaven stuff but an evolution. YES
Beastmen ... future is uncertain but you guess they will find a place in Chaos. YES, I GUESS.
Lots of new stuff to come for Fantasy. YES
Most stuff will be new units monsters or characters. YES
Elite units will be smaller 2-5 minis.YES
Look of armies will change. OH YES !
Smaller armies with less miniatures and more big stuff. LOGICALLY
No information about new rules. NO DETAILS YES, BUT IT SEEMS TO BE MINOR CHANGES.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Merged with the existing rumour thread as this has mostly already been covered over the last few months.
Ryank
Trainee Warrior

Post by Ryank »

Amboadine wrote:Merged with the existing rumour thread as this has mostly already been covered over the last few months.

Sorry :oops:
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Don't be sorry for engaging within the community. Just trying to keep the forum tidy :)
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

/not getting rustled or believing any rumours until new edition hits off

Someone call the police on me if this turns out to be true.

[+] SPOILER
Crime: Multiple Homicide

!mad! !mad! !mad! !mad! !mad! !mad!

/not getting rustled or believing any rumours until new edition hits back on
Ryank
Trainee Warrior

Post by Ryank »

T.D. wrote:/not getting rustled or believing any rumours until new edition hits off

Someone call the police on me if this turns out to be true.

[+] SPOILER
Crime: Multiple Homicide

!mad! !mad! !mad! !mad! !mad! !mad!

/not getting rustled or believing any rumours until new edition hits back on

Like many have stated about the rumours, like Ends of Times or anything else GW produces, it can be ignored. Ignored it will be if all or any of the rumours come true.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Ryank wrote:Like many have stated about the rumours, like Ends of Times or anything else GW produces, it can be ignored. Ignored it will be if all or any of the rumours come true.
Seen that before.
Eery new edition, people whine about rumours which will ruin the game they love, and promise that if it is the case, they will either play the previous edition or quit.
It turns out that some people quit indeed, but not many more than those who would have quit anyway due to RL (that' my case with WH40k).
It turns out that very few people keep playing with previou rules, if one can juge with forums like this one.
It turns out that may peopple actually praise the new edition.

Reminds me with a humourous thread on Warhammer-Empire: How the Empire was Ruined Forever!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

Ryank wrote:And Earlybird chimes in:

from the horse mouth

factions :

1) Chaos : Demons + Beasts + Mortals
2) Elves
3) Empire
4) Undead
5) Orcs and Goblins
6) Skavens

Lizards are gone in space.
Dwarves survivors join the empire with the ogres.

1) Chaos core : Warriors of chaos/chariot/Hounds
Demons figs will be kept as they are usable in 40k
Bye bye marauders, ungors, centigors, razorgor etc

2) Elves core : spearmen/archers/cavalry on horse
No more xbows
the 3 elves will blend in one faction
dark elves monsters are gone : cold ones, hydra

3) Empire core: Hallberds/Handgun/Canon
Some dwarves survivors and ogres are included
Imperial and bretonnian knights are merged

4) Undead core : Skeletons/Ghouls/Spirit host
bye bye bone giant, scorpion sphinx, chariots and everything too much egyptian

5) Orcs and goblins core : Goblins/Orcs/Black orcs
no real change for them

6) Skaven core : Clanrats/Plague rats/Rat ogres
no real change for them too

I understand (and can fully get behind) the idea of reduced Factions, and within those Factions some reduced choices, but I don't believe they'd remove all of that stuff. For example, merging some Chaos Core would make sense (why have Marauders, Gor & Ungor when you can just have a 'rabble' with assorted weapon options), but removing all types of a similar ilk is baby with the bathwater stuff (especially as it would invalidate large sections of all the army books).

However, giving that we know that the main rulebook will contain a number of entries, I wouldn't be surprised for these to be those Rulebook entries (similar to MkII Warmachine where there were a few models for each Faction in the rulebook and then the Faction books contained the rest of the options).
Still Serving Slaanesh
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Nice one Calisson :D
I see a lot of rumours being contradictory. And some are ... well.. self-evident.

If I may have some fun poking at the rumours :P

[+] SPOILER
Ryank wrote:9th edition will be 90% the same as 8th edition YES

The only thing that shocks me about this statement is how it immediately contradicts the doom and gloom that the game is being thrown in the sewers and nothing is ever the same again.
If you thought rumours were a reason to fear 9th edition, let this be the statement that proves that rumours claim not that much will change (dramatically).

Ryank wrote: ...will look so different from the existing armies they might as well be new armies YES
These new armies will be made from new units/characters MAJORITY YES
The new units will have a very different aesthetic from existing miniatures. 200% YES
The new units can be used by one or more of the existing armies. YES
OR can just be used as units for generic 'Forces of order' Or forces of destruction' armies. NO
I can keep my "OLD COLLECTION" YES
<and later>
Look of armies will change. OH YES !

Now I must say this is the best rumour ever. Mull over this one for a moment.
  • Whenever a new edition of a book comes out, it changes the style of some units.
  • "They may as well be new units". This is unprecedented. The new 8th edition Hydra with a totally new look totally didn't change the unit from 7th edition. The new Gyrocopter is so much like its predecessor one wonders if it really is a new model and rulebook.
  • "New units and characters". Let it be known and heard by all mankind, ladies and gentlemen, that nothing will be the same again. GW has done this before. They completely -drestroyed- the Dark Elf Warriors from 7th edition. The unit does not exist anymore. Ohh, sure, you can still use the models to pretend something they are not, like dreadspears and darkshards. But who really wants to do that?
    There is no relation between the two editions, right? Excuse the sarcasm.
  • "New units can be used by one or more of the existing armies". I admit, I giggled. I would have loved G.W. to do the opposite, which is bringing out a model that doesn't fit in any army. Like "Here!! The new awesome model!" "Can we use it?" "No".
    As far as self-evident statements goes, this certainly should rank amongst the top.
  • "I can keep my old collection. Yes". Because G.W. would otherwise barge into your house and steal your models? Because one of their key business models is to make you attached to your miniatures by having you put shocking amounts of time in assembling and painting them and they would suddenly want to throw that away? They don't want you to throw away your old stuff. They want to lure you with new stuff.
  • This gets even funnier if you consider that people already complain when the next ET book doesn't give -their- army new models. Make up your mind! Do you want new models or not? :P

Ryank wrote: ... but don't expect any new miniatures for a while? I CAN'T SAY THAT FROM WHAT I KNOW BUT LIKELY DEDUCTION

Oh gosh. Now there's a good one. So, after claiming everything is going to change, this now "likely deduces" the exact opposite? GW is a miniature company that doesn't want to sell new miniatures? :P

Ryank wrote:a listing of playable units or pre-constructed groups YES.

Interesting idea. Instead of a single unit entry like the good old Manflayers, we might actually get warbands of a slightly larger scale. TBH I think that's quite cool :)
It's like making sublists and themed armies which is very hard to achieve with a neutral book. Take the army book we have now and see how they struggle to make both general and themed armies possible. The COB needs to give explicit benefits to WE's just to improve the synergy without overpowering it for other units. The 7th ed armybook had a lot of fun internal balance, but I recall half the themes being based on what the book offered, rather than fluff.
Preconstructed groups may help simplify this. It permits a general focused armybook that focuses on internal balance rather than themes, and brings back themes through the groups which rewards a player for combining WE's with a COB and Executioner bunch. Or perhaps rewards collecting Malekith's theme (BG, Spears and bows), or the fleetmaster which never really worked out :)

Ryank wrote: There is a points system. YES

This is a shocker.

Ryank wrote:Skirmish is not intended to be the main way to play Warhammer ... but an alternative. YES

Awesome! I enjoyed the warhammer skirmish of old :)
It certainly would be fun to mingle into a campaign where you can mix battles and story driven 'personal' missions. It might also give a very nice introductory level for a new army. Because, honestly, although I enjoy playing 1200 point battles, even they demand a certain level of devotion in painting and smaller games are "broken".

Ryank wrote: Some fantasy miniatures will be supplied on round bases due to rules changes YES
... but not all.... just skirmishing units DON'T KNOW and units attached to ranked units? YES
...and big Warmachines? ATTACHED TO RANKED UNITS YES
Characters will be on round bases. (Or oval bases for cavalry) YES
... and so characters can no longer join ranked up units. PERSONAL DEDUCTION, BUT YES
I do not need to re-base my existing characters to use them YES - two times confirmed
Round bases are nothing to do with the new skirmish game YES.
You don't know what is going on with round bases EXPLAINED BY MINOR CHANGES OF RULES, FROM WHAT I KNOW.

This merrits deep thought as to what the rumour source truly meant. Because it doesn't seem to be a single coherent thought. Perhaps instead of asking yes/no they should have asked "what do you know"?
Anyhow, as far as the bases are concerned, I'd like to refer to earlier reports from Dnet members who experimented and reported on the use of bases for warmachines, including RBTs. It supposedly simplified the game considerably, for the enjoyment of all. There was a clear point of reference for measuring range in shooting, charging and positioning.

As for characters, that just seems weird. However, I recall many high elf players to have that wizzard, strutting around infantry units in 6th edition. While I don't recall the ruling on that to be very clear, it made more sense than having a wizzard in a spearmen unit.

In all fairness, I simply doubt this rumour to be true, but even if it proved true, I can see some benefits to it.

Ryank wrote: Lots of new stuff to come for Fantasy. YES

Oh how amusing. So, no new miniatures, but lots of new stuff?

Ryank wrote: Beastmen ... future is uncertain but you guess they will find a place in Chaos. YES, I GUESS.

If I were to pretend I have foresight, I would have said the book could go two ways: it 'may' continue or it may rejoin chaos.
Unless G.W. comes up with something unexpected like... "Warhammer Armies: Cattle", this rumour pretty much captured the whole realm of possibilities of where the book would go.

Ryank wrote: Most stuff will be new units monsters or characters. YES

What did people expect? Furniture?
What else can it be if not units, monsters or characters? :P

Ryank wrote:Elite units will be smaller 2-5 minis.YES

Which is totally devastating the 3-5 mini monstrous cavalry we have now.

Amarel wrote:However, giving that we know that the main rulebook will contain a number of entries, I wouldn't be surprised for these to be those Rulebook entries (similar to MkII Warmachine where there were a few models for each Faction in the rulebook and then the Faction books contained the rest of the options).

That's an interesting take on it. That could actually work.

The main reason I dismiss most of the rumours is because they are presented in a manner that just doesn't make sense. Maybe some of the chances will come over time. Maybe some of them were ideas that were tested but never came to fruition.
What are the sources on which the rumours are based? A keynote presentation?

The biggest drawback of the game is the slow pace and limited impact of each armybook. However, to increase the pace would be absolutely bonkers. I think, first and foremost, this is what they try to remedy. By making a smaller core, they can increase the impact of smaller changes, making it more manageable and fun for all :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

^^ Daeron, the Voice of Reason :)
Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

This was posted by Daedalus81 on the WHF (he didn't list a source):

WFB 9th Box & Armies

The results of the End Times will be directly reflected in the armies included in 9th Edition
Boxed Set:
Will include good guys (the Forces of Light) versus Chaos – in a loose fashion.
The Boxed Set is set in a former city of the Empire (save your breathe, it’s NOT Mordheim), but luckily the End Times offers up plenty of new choices.

Boxed Set includes a campaign at a skirmish level and is firmly designed to introduce new players into the game at this smaller model-count level.
Look for an increased focus on “Heroes & Characters”, even at the skirmish level of the game.
WFB 9th will kick off a new set of products that cover not only the new surviving factions, but new modular terrain pieces that support the game at all size levels and reflect the new “Post End-Times” world.
Still Serving Slaanesh